As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I dread prices for 3DS games here. New release DS titles are already $60-70, I'm betting that price is getting bumped up to $70-80.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of Pilotwings, 1UP has a review posted for it now by Jeremy Parish:

Pilotwings Resort 3DS Review
    Reviewers have a tendency, I think, to conflate reviews of a new system's launch titles with their critiques of the hardware itself. It's not a good habit, but it's an understandable one: Everything that seems good or bad about a platform is often distilled into those early releases. Plus, a high-profile game review makes for a convenient soapbox. In the case of Pilotwings: Resort, however, the strengths and failings on display have less to do with the 3DS platform and more to do with Nintendo's current creative direction.

The Pilotwings series has been around since the Super NES launched, 20 years ago, but Resort hardly resembles the previous games -- at least not on a superficial level. Where the older installments were essentially hardware tech demos dressed up with classic Nintendo charm and personality, Resort doesn't really do anything particularly dazzling, and its aesthetics are drawn directly from the company's modern Wii-brand games. In fact, the game's subtitle ties it directly to Wii Sports Resort, as the two games are set on the same island. Whatever personality Pilotwings as a series might once have possessed has been whitewashed by a deliberate sense of genericness, with familiar characters completely replaced by Miis. It's a somewhat strange decision, since the 3DS's early adopters are most likely to be dedicated Nintendo fans who would prefer the familiar to the faceless, but I suppose Resort is meant to be the 3DS's equivalent of Wii Sports...minus the "free with purchase" part, of course.

Not that this really matters, though, since beyond its vanilla façade, Resort is a Pilotwings game through and through. That is to say, it's a series of aerial challenges via prop plane, jet pack, and hang glider that begin as rather unassuming tasks and eventually become infuriatingly difficult. There's really not all that much to Pilotwings, but it's entertaining nevertheless -- the game's sense of flight strikes a rare balance that puts it directly between pure flight and aerial combat simulations. Unlike a true flight sim, it eschews realistic aerial physics for a less demanding feel that nevertheless maintains a sort of internal consistency.

In the same way that Mario physics are ridiculously exaggerated but always work in the same predictable manner, Pilotwings Resort probably doesn't bear much in common with the real rules of flying, but it works within the loose interpretation it establishes from the get-go. And while the game is broken into a rigid mission structure, some portion of which involves shooting (in the sense of both guns and cameras), it never feels stressful in the way that something like Ace Combat does.

In other words, the appeal of Pilotwings is in the simple joy of flying. Wisely, Nintendo offsets the increasingly demanding missions with a free-flight mode in which you're given the freedom to fly around the islands at your leisure. This mode does demonstrate the game's greatest weakness, though, which is simply that there's not a lot of game here; the few dozen missions can be completed in a few hours with a little persistence, after which all that's left is replaying them again and again in pursuit of a perfect score, or flying around the free-flight mode in search of collectibles.

The collectibles are frankly annoying, since there are several hundred of them divided up not only according to your choice of vehicle but also by the time of day you decide to fly. Free-flight is initially limited to two minutes, and you earn extra time by collecting balloons while flying. That's fine in concept, but every balloon appears as a "ghost" that can be seen but not collected unless you've selected the proper combination of vehicle and time of day. It feels manipulative, like an artificial way to create the illusion of replay value, and the contrivance of the whole affair makes even the free-flight feel a bit like work.

But, much like the 3DS itself, Pilotwings is ultimately designed to appeal to casual players. It's an approachable, enjoyable, but ultimately somewhat insubstantial game, and the 3D visuals add a nice touch but don't have a material impact on how it plays. Hmm...I guess the game and system have a lot in common after all.

IGN also has a review up for Steel Diver:

Steel Diver Review
    Steel Diver, one of Nintendo's three first party launch titles, is one of those games that, for better or worse, completely takes you off guard. It's certainly not the big gun any of us thought the Big N would be bringing to the table come 3DS launch time (which is noticeably lacking in mustachioed plumbers or Hylian heroes), but could this wild card still be worth its $40 price tag? The answer is complicated.

The key to getting the most out of Steel Diver is having a full understanding of what you're getting into. It is essentially a submarine simulation game that plays a lot like an action puzzler, with a turn-based strategy multi-player mode and a first-person shooter periscope mini-game.

The main game, Mission Mode, puts you in the shoes of a Steel Diver, a member of a secret submarine fleet comprised of the best of the best. The missions put you behind the wheel of one of three submarines, each with different pros and cons such as maneuverability or torpedo selection. All seven missions you complete in this mode have an objective attached, such as to find your way into an enemy base, but this is mostly a thin backdrop for the actual gameplay, and serves no other purpose.

You control your sub of choice by using the stylus to manipulate two levers, one of which controls your vertical depth (how high or low your sub is) and one of which controls your horizontal movement and speed (in other words, whether you're going forward or backward and how fast you're doing it). In two of the three subs, there's also a pitch wheel you can spin to tilt the angle of your vessel.

As you move along the level towards your goal, navigating puzzling underwater labyrinths along the way, various obstacles like water mines, homing missiles, destructible rock obstructions, and even volcanic eruptions threaten to deplete your damage meter. Drain this meter and it's game over, which is why you must not only navigate well, but also use your sub's torpedoes to help clear a path.

The first couple of levels are a cakewalk, but the later levels will have you scratching your head and eagerly replaying them over and over, trying to outmaneuver the fierce combination of the level design and the constant onslaught of enemy attack. While I enjoyed the amount of thinking and strategizing these advanced levels provided, there were far too few of them. Even going back to beat each mission with all three ships and finish in better times didn't make up for the fact that there were just not enough missions to choose from.

I also wish there had been more boss fights, as these were always particularly engaging to overcome and provided a much needed change of pace. Dodging missiles while waiting for an opening in the enemy's defense to attack and slowly chipping away at their damage meter one blast at a time (all while trapped in a relatively small, 2D plane) made these moments feel like a much slower-paced Mega Man with submarines, and that's a compliment. But, again, there weren't nearly enough of these encounters to make this package feel complete.

Of course, the gameplay itself is truly what matters, and between a solid Mission Mode (which was, admittedly, far too short), an amusing Periscope Mode (which has you either spinning around with your 3DS or moving the dial to spot and destroy all surrounding enemy ships as fast as possible), and a standalone multiplayer turn-based strategy game, there's more fun to be had here than you might think.

While this isn't exactly the new IP I was looking for from Nintendo, and it's true that the game is probably too slow moving for a lot of folks, once I settled into its pace I was surprised by how much I really enjoyed myself. While I admit I hastily dismissed Steel Diver when I first started playing it, I eventually found myself hooked.

THE 3D EFFECT

As for the new system's driving component, the glasses-free 3D effect, I have to say Steel Diver left me unimpressed, especially compared to some of the other launch titles I've seen. While it was neat to see the torpedoes shooting toward me, outside of that, the 3D effect doesn't add much to the experience.

Closing Comments

Steel Diver is well executed, but lacking in depth (which is ironic for a multitude of reasons). However, once you give it a fair shot, you'll be surprised how addictive the gameplay is and how much fun you’ll have trying to master the controls and conquer each mission. It's not exactly the side scroller we were expecting from Nintendo's first party 3DS launch, and it really, should not have been $40, but it's a commendably unique and engaging concept. If you're dying for something to play with your launch day 3DS, and you have an open mind and a bit of patience, this might be just what the doctor ordered. But if you're holding out for fireworks, your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Pilotwings gets a solid "B" and Steel Diver scored a "7.0" from IGN. If I had to choose I would get Pilotwings, but I'll likely skip both myself (or buy Pilotwings for cheaper later, although that might be difficult since its a Nintendo title).

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I noticed slicks come in at work for the various Ubisoft launch titles, apparantly Ghost Recon has 60 missions in it (don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere) which if they're entertaining missions may convince me to get one early on.

Also Rabbids is apparantly spread over something like 4 different time periods, the slick didn't mention how many levels so the variety that game will have is up in the air, I may have to hold off until reviews come in.

Oh, and the slogan on the back of just about every title was "Bla bla something relevant to the game in 3D!"
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I dread prices for 3DS games here. New release DS titles are already $60-70, I'm betting that price is getting bumped up to $70-80.

RRP seems to be around that mark, but if you look hard enough there are sure to be some places doing it for $60 or so.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I expect JB Hi-Fi (the only store that doesn't overcharge) would be doing it for less now that I think about it. It amazes me that they are the ONLY place I can seem to find that doesn't overcharge for everything game related.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I also tried a demo 3DS at Best Buy today. I adjusted super quick, with the slider being at just below the halfway point. My sister also tried it and was quite impressed. She didn't expect the effect to be that good.

I'm still not sold on Pilotwings. The 3D was awesome but I know later I'd regret spending $40 on such a content-lite title.

At 20 bucks I'd withoutasecondthought it, but 40 bucks is a bit much for me.

Yeah, I'd consider it at that price. I'm sure that would be the price if this wasn't a launch title.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I expect JB Hi-Fi (the only store that doesn't overcharge) would be doing it for less now that I think about it. It amazes me that they are the ONLY place I can seem to find that doesn't overcharge for everything game related.

Online, buy from England. I use ozgameshop.com (which is an English store, despite the name), their 3DS games are around $20 cheaper than EBGames at the moment, about $10-15 less than JBHifi.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Online, buy from England. I use ozgameshop.com (which is an English store, despite the name), their 3DS games are around $20 cheaper than EBGames at the moment, about $10-15 less than JBHifi.

Ditto Ozgameshop's prices are far better then retail prices, and they don't charge for shipping. Their 3ds line up costs $50 each give or take a few dollars. If your not going to buy online then yeah JBhifi is probably the best option.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Four and a half working days to go! (taken a half day on Friday)

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MadmodiaMadmodia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Are there any region locking issues here? The $65-75 AUD price of 3DS games is heading way too close to the ridiculous cost region to me, so would like to import if possible.

Madmodia on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Madmodia wrote: »

Are there any region locking issues here? The $65-75 AUD price of 3DS games is heading way too close to the ridiculous cost region to me, so would like to import if possible.

I was asking about this earlier, people in another thread here on PA, I forget where, said that it's locked the same as everything else; we can play EU games but not US. Of course, that could be wrong, and I'm not going to buy anything for a week or so just in case, but a PAer with an early review 3DS says it's good.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got a call yesterday from GameStation confirming that I was coming to the midnight launch, and asked if there were any games I'd like for £15 off. I panicked and said Rayman, so it looks like I've got my launch title.

I'm not too bothered even if it is a lazy port - just having a new 3D platformer will be fun enough for me.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MadmodiaMadmodia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Madmodia wrote: »

I was asking about this earlier, people in another thread here on PA, I forget where, said that it's locked the same as everything else; we can play EU games but not US. Of course, that could be wrong, and I'm not going to buy anything for a week or so just in case, but a PAer with an early review 3DS says it's good.

Excellent, good to know :) thanks.

Madmodia on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh they don't charge shipping at that site? That's fantastic. I normally don't bother importing from the UK because the shipping cost generally doesn't make up for the reduced price but that will work nicely.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, friday can't come soon enough.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh they don't charge shipping at that site? That's fantastic. I normally don't bother importing from the UK because the shipping cost generally doesn't make up for the reduced price but that will work nicely.

They don't charge shipping even if you order some $5 game that turns up with a 3 pound postage sticker on it, which I reckon's pretty cool of them.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ozgameshop doesn't charge shipping, BUT

It seems to take up to 3 weeks for things to arrive now. I ordered kirby from them on the 3rd and it still hasn't arrived.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Question for the folks lucky enough to be playing a 3DS right now: Do the streetpass features still work if in sleep mode with a REGULAR DS game in the system? Like if I'm playing DQ9, put it in sleep mode, will I still swap SF4 info with people if I pass another 3DS in sleep mode?

I assume yes?

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

I really hope I can talk the local Gamestop into doing a midnight launch thursday! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Are we going to make a Friendcode-list in the OP when people get their systems?

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    LodsiekLodsiek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

I really hope I can talk the local Gamestop into doing a midnight launch thursday! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Jerks. We gotta wait till Sunday. T_T

Lodsiek on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Mantiz wrote: »

I hope not. OP editing is always so clunky and over reliant on the leg work of one man.

Do we still have any wiki pages floating around? Allowing each person to add themselves to the list is so much easier.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bleh, ordered from Amazon.

I save on taxes, but means I won't receive it until Tuesday even with overnight shipping.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Another 10 days until the launch here. I am far too excited.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The problem with a database-style approach to Nintendo's Friend Codes -- at least going by the clusterfuck I remember from early DS and Wii online games -- is that it's a little unrealistic to expect people to check the database every few days to add a slew of codes and blindly hope that those people will add them back. As far as I've been able to discern from the impressions, on the 3DS you still don't get a message or any indicator that someone else has added you to their friend list; you have to put someone's code in and then hassle them through another media to add you back, unless you're in person together at which point it does the handshake automatically.

So I don't think a database or OP list is a particularly effective means of exchanging codes in bulk, unless there is some kind of e-mail notifier system that reminds people to check the list. When the Wii launched, I remember adding dozens of people to my Friend Roster and only getting about half of them to connect back. I'm not sure what better method really exists, but again, this is why many people are chafed by Friend Codes in general; I have no immediate way of knowing who has added me, and the people I add have no immediate way of knowing I've added them.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Welp, hype got the better of me and I preordered SSFIV on Saturday. (That, and playing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom a bit that afternoon reminded me of how fun fighting games can be.)

So, guess I'm getting two games after all. :P

Norfair on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I could cook something up if you guys want to add friend codes to.

I'm picturing something along the lines of adding your code to a database along with your username, but you can also click on other people's codes and the site will send them an email saying that someone wants to add them as a friend.

Would something like that work, you think?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I could cook something up if you guys want to add friend codes to.

I'm picturing something along the lines of adding your code to a database along with your username, but you can also click on other people's codes and the site will send them an email saying that someone wants to add them as a friend.

Would something like that work, you think?

That would work well, I think. The biggest problem is like Lunker says, entering a slew of friend codes and no one reciprocating. If you can click their name to say you are adding them and it notifies them by email or something, that would work well. Users would just have to be sure to remove themselves from the list if they chose to no longer participate.

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can it email the user automatically without revealing their email address to the public?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If there are any other stereoblind people out there wondering, the glasses-free 3D doesn't work for us. Checked it out at BestBuy this weekend and it's just a doubled up image. OH WELL.

Huxley on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just a minor update on the status of DoA: Dimensions - I ordered it and Pilotwings from a retailer that promised delivery on the 25th. Pilotwings just got posted today, Dead or Alive...is due to ship on the 25th (and therefore arrive up to a week later), and I'm pretty sure that's just a default placeholder.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can it email the user automatically without revealing their email address to the public?

Yes.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have to admit I'm really surprised that folks thought DOA was looking better than SSF4. I played both at PAX and although I will admit to a bias towards the SF series to begin with, I wasn't terribly impressed with DOA.

My impressions were:
    Face shooting game - didn't like at all. Maybe with practice I'd enjoy it more, but it was just not fun to me.

Archery AR game - liked this one a lot. I got the impression I'd like it even more at home without the crowded booth environment. It's hard to judge a game like this in a small space.

Resident Evil whatever-was-at-the-Capcom-booth Edition: Looks great, RE isn't my thing generally but graphically it looked nice and controlled well. I'd pick it up cheap later on, but nothing special gameplay wise.

SSF4 - Loved it - one of my favorite games. I always have an issue with SF on systems without the 3x3 button layout - but otherwise it looked good.

DOA - disappointed - just didn't look/move that great. The 3d was kind of meh for me as well. It just didn't click for me.

Nintendogs - Loved - the best 3d I saw on the system. It felt like a tiny dog was somehow trapped in the system. I think that for kids this will once again sell the console. The graphics are so nice and the 3D just ups the cuteness 10x.

I liked the system, but playing it at PAX really cemented that I'm going to wait a bit to buy. My DS Lite is actually with Nintendo now having it's hinge replaced because I've decided it's catalog will last me at least into the holidays.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Check it out! A $30 Nyko aftermarket battery for 3DS that purports to double battery life. I'm immensely curious -- it adds bulk but doesn't look too terrible, plus it comes with its own cradle -- but I am generally wary of third-party batteries. If people are curious, you may want to check it out. I'm sure third-party accessories have gotten better over he years, but I'm still carrying baggage after a crappy PS1 memory card shit out on me and lost all of my huge RPG saves.

SirUltimos, some kind of auto-database like that might be really awesome. I wonder how quickly we'd hit the 100 friend limit on systems if it takes off. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    3rd party stuff is generally a lot better nowadays, but I'm not so sure I would trust a battery blind. The last thing you want is for it to start leaking inside your brand new 3DS.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    3rd party stuff is generally a lot better nowadays, but I'm not so sure I would trust a battery blind. The last thing you want is for it to start leaking inside your brand new 3DS.

Yeah, something like that is definitely a "wait until other people try it" product for me.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Huxley wrote: »
    If there are any other stereoblind people out there wondering, the glasses-free 3D does't work for us. Checked it out at BestBuy this weekend and it's just a doubled up image. OH WELL.

Out of curiosity, are there there some situations where people can see fake-3d but not real life 3d? I can't picture how that would be possible.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    Alex Atkin UKAlex Atkin UK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I do not think Lithium Ion batteries can leak in the way NiMH, NiCd or Alkaline do. What they tend to do is shoot out red hot flames, so its a lot more serious if they go wrong.

Often though they will slowly bulge over time unless there is an actual short circuit, so you should feel a difference and think "oh shit".

Alex Atkin UK on
    3DS Code: 1118 0213 2138 Pokemon Black: 3997 6322 9891
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    If there are any other stereoblind people out there wondering, the glasses-free 3D does't work for us. Checked it out at BestBuy this weekend and it's just a doubled up image. OH WELL.

Out of curiosity, are there there some situations where people can see fake-3d but not real life 3d? I can't picture how that would be possible.

I have heard of a case, I wanna say here, where someone had that happen. Their first experience with the third dimension was a film's giant sewing needle coming at their face.

Also, I have to say this: If you're stereoblind, those scenes in romantic films where the hero lifts his arms and summons forth music must make no sense.

yalborap on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    It's not possible. If your brain doesn't process the difference in inputs to your eyes in such a way to determine depth, then there is no way you can fake depth by sending different inputs to your eyes.

It's possible that some people aren't actually properly stereoblind, but don't handle depth very well. In those cases, a very exaggerated sense of depth may be noticeable for them in a way reality isn't, which is achievable by tweaking the fuck out of the parameters of a stereoscopic system.

Seol on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can tell you this about being stereoblind: it's hard as fuck to hit a baseball.

Huxley on
  • Options
    Alex Atkin UKAlex Atkin UK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can tell you this about being stereoblind: it's hard as fuck to hit a baseball.

That's one reason I thought I was stereoblind, but apparently I just sucked.

Alex Atkin UK on
    3DS Code: 1118 0213 2138 Pokemon Black: 3997 6322 9891
This discussion has been closed.