As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do in San Franscico

NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So the camping trip I was going to take next week got canceled because of a lot of snowfall, so I'll be heading to San Franscico instead. This isn't much notice, and I'm having trouble finding things to do outside of seeing the wharf and Coit Tower and the park, since touristy websites aren't much help sometimes.

So, anyone know interesting things to do in the city next week, say Monday through Wednesdayish?

Thanks.

Narbus on

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    exploratorium
    also, are you 21?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am actually 31, so any nice bars or jazz clubs or fancy things like that would be really great. Jazz is fun.

Narbus on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For jazz, Yoshi's is hard to beat. Amazing sushi + awesome live jazz. Kind of pricey, but I think it's worth it.

I have about a bazillion bars I can recommend. If you want nice bars:

- Rosewood
    - Rye
    - Rickhouse
    - Bourbon and Branch (MAKE A RESERVATION!)
    - Matrix Lounge (pretty douchy crowd sometimes, but cool place)
    - Sip
    - Alembic
    - Smuggler's Cove

These are all cocktail spots. Each has a different focus, so if you have a specific drink in mind, let me know.

If you like vietnamese food, check out Yummy Yummy in the sunset. Best in the city. For even more hedonism, get an order of Tsan Tung chicken wings to go from next door. Best wings in the city.

Haight is always fun to walk around and people watch.

The weather has been pretty crap here, so dress way warm and for rain. If we luck out and snag clear skies, check out the Cliffhouse/Ocean beach. Neat area when it isn't awful outside.

I assume you'll have a car, right?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you like museums, there is the de Young museum and the Museum of Modern Art. If you like clubbing there is a club called Ruby Skye, although I'm sure there are plenty more. If you like plants there is the botanical garden.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Be prepared for rain. Lots and lots of rain.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    ElkoVituciElkoVituci Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Non stopping rain., and maybe some radiation coming from Sacramento

ElkoVituci on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    get on a tour of alcstraz, preferably at night.
    if you have a car you can hop up to saulsalito or head down to santa cruz or head west to napa. castro is a cool district to walk around. golden gate park is cool too, tea gardens are there.

crissy field and ft baker are nice and there is a bitching outdoors store there called Sports basement its worth a walkthrough especially if you are into that sort of thing

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The California Academy of Sciences http://www.calacademy.org/ is an awesome way to spend atleast half of a day. Its part zoo part natural history museum. Its one of my favorite places to go in San Fran.

MrDoctorProfessor on
    noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • Options
    DanMachDanMach Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Been there a few times for business so everything I have to offer is located with a few miles of the supreme court building. Here are a few things I can give as generic advice...

1. Talk to the homeless. Do NOT give them money or any items, but most of them will happily chat up a dude. I suggest you do this during day and near cops. I only advise this because SF has a *HUGE* homeless population and that scares the shit out of some people. Talking to them makes you realize most of them just have shitty luck and poor decision making skills. (Again. Do this DURING THE DAY IN PUBLIC. Do NOT do this if you feel you are at risk of injury or crime.)

2. Go to a bar(yelp.com those bitches up) and introduce yourself as a traveler. In my experience the people of San Fran. are amazingly nice to strangers and on more then one occasion I have found myself partaking in the San Francisco's official plant(pot. They are a lot of pot heads in SF.). That is just an example though, I have always been taking to under ground jazz clubs, some amazing places I don't even recall, and in general had a great time.

3. WALK! I don't care if its raining liquid death. Walk. The city is amazing and it well deserves a few good walks.

4. Prepare to be broke. The city is expensive as all hell.

Sorry I don't have exact places to visit, I never really was there long enough to find a regular place..

Enjoy! Its one of the most interesting towns on the western side of the country.

DanMach on