As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cookie Brigade, PAX Prime 2011 - Post-PAX Brigadier Questionairre Ready!

• Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Who would be Brain?

You just asked that to a forum full of geeks and gamers. Just thought I'd point that out.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    True, feitocomfruta! I figured I'd let you all fight over who gets to be Brain ;) lol

So with the cupcakes, people have successfully wrapped cupcakes before: just at this PAX east someone made awesome portal cakes, and I believe they were frosted on the top. They were definitely meant to be handled delicately - I didn't distribute any as a result, because I pretty much just cram as many cookies as I can into my Cookie-Toting Bandolier of Doom(TM), but others distributed them to great success: you can definitely do the same especially if you're planning on putting them on a platter as you mentioned!

If I recall correctly, she had two cupcakes per package: one with bacon on it, and one portal cupcake. She then had them sitting loosely in kind of a "wrapping bag" tied at the top with ribbon if I recall correctly.

And indeed, if you find a socially acceptable way to distribute them where they're still not wrapped, I guess you can go for it: but you'd just have to be really careful. I think that wrapping them is the most straightforward way to make it clear to people that we're trying to be sanitary.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maple Bacon Muffins were also being handed out. I think the key is that a denser cake holds up better. If it wasn't questionable, I'd send some chocolate stout mini cupcakes, because those things hold up REALLY well. But because of the stout, it kinda breaks the "alcohol is a nono" thing. But my point is that if you go with a denser chiffon cake over a pound cake, it will travel better.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I toyed with the idea of making cupcakes and putting them in Chinese takeout containers instead of wrapping them. No, it's not airtight (freshness) and no, you can't see the deliciousness inside, but it was a way to have them individually "wrapped" and not squish the frosting or lose half of it on the wrapper.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't remind me about the cupcakes!! It was toward the end, and I found ONE. LAST. PACKAGE!! I gave them to my hubby, after donating naturally. I told him that the portal cake was his but not to touch the maple-bacon. I REALLY wanted that cupcake. He acknowledged, I got up for the little geeklette's room, admonished him to hands off my cupcake, came back and he'd eaten BOTH!! He swore that he didn't hear me. The BASTARD! I was HEARTBROKEN! I sobbed all the way home. Then I made him sleep on the couch for a week. In fact, he's STILL sleeping on the couch. I've decided. Back to the sofa for him. AND I want a divorce.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Please for the love of the geek lord, whoever made the bacon-maple cupcakes, can you please send Menolly07 a cupcake or the recipe. I'm willing to send shipping money. But none for HUSBAND! If he gets near it, kick him in the box!

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    lol! You guys crack me up! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Fengie The NinjaFengie The Ninja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    punzie wrote: »
    I toyed with the idea of making cupcakes and putting them in Chinese takeout containers instead of wrapping them. No, it's not airtight (freshness) and no, you can't see the deliciousness inside, but it was a way to have them individually "wrapped" and not squish the frosting or lose half of it on the wrapper.

I have seen inexpensive neon plastic Chinese takeout style containers that are transparent. My aunt bought some at a party store and also ordered a ton from The Oriental Trading Company. I looked at The Oriental Company's website and didn't see any of that style, but it is never a bad idea to check local party supply or craft stores.

The plastic party bag idea would work out pretty well.

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been thinking about this cupcake issue... So assuming that the point of cupcakes is to encourage higher [yet unrelated] donations, part of it would include the visual of a cleverly constructed cake of +5 awesomeness (aka portal cakes) or a cake piped with a mound of pretty pretty frosting and sprinkles. The only issue is that the wrapping messes the frosting up.

With that in mind, if the vending tray idea was used by a couple of distributors (realistically there would only be a need for 1 or 2 folks to do this) what about: a) keeping display cakes on the tray not to be handed out, and then boxing the rest. b) wrapping the unfrosted cakes and piping the frosting to-order from an aerosol whipping cream dispenser. (I saw this done with pate at Cochon 555 last year to great effect).

For something like a portal cake, the icing is flat so wrapping the cake after it's frosted wouldn't be an issue.

Which brings me to another question: what other kinds of really awesome game/scifi themed sweets could be made? Portal cakes, of course but what else...? Pumpkin pasties from Harry Potter? Bubbly Pies from Pern? 1-Up cupcakes? Lembas bread? (okay, okay, I got most of these ideas from the Geeky Chef but the bubbly pie idea is all me, baby!)

PS - Menolly07, PM me for bacon cupcake recipes.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011

What if you wrapped the takeout box in plastic? Then it would be airtight without squishing the cupcakes.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Which brings me to another question: what other kinds of really awesome game/scifi themed sweets could be made? Portal cakes, of course but what else...? Pumpkin pasties from Harry Potter? Bubbly Pies from Pern? 1-Up cupcakes? Lembas bread? (okay, okay, I got most of these ideas from the Geeky Chef but the bubbly pie idea is all me, baby!)

The Mario mushrooms would make great cupcakes. Cupcakes basically are mushroom-shaped, so you just frost the top in green/red with white spots.
    It never occurred to me to tap the Harry Potter universe, but I bet you could get really creative with some of the sweets from the books!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    but the bubbly pie idea is all me, baby!
    Eeeeeee!! Pernese bubbly pies with a cup of steaming hot klah!!!! I got mad nerd for anything McCaffrey. I mean, that username is my name for EVERYTHING. It's been my hotmail address for well over *coughing to hide the number* years!

Moe Fwacky wrote: »

What if you wrapped the takeout box in plastic? Then it would be airtight without squishing the cupcakes.
    Then place the wrapped box into a hermetically sealed container. Then wonder whether or not the cupcake exists inside the box. Whether it has gone stale or molded or simply isn't there anymore.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Then place the wrapped box into a hermetically sealed container. Then wonder whether or not the cupcake exists inside the box. Whether it has gone stale or molded or simply isn't there anymore.

Schroedinger's Cupcake: At one singular point in time, the cupcake is simultaneously both present and absent.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    olleeollee OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would be all for helping with this, particularly by making cheesecake cupcakes, however I am not 100% on Prime yet, and I would have no where to flex my epic baking muscles.

ollee on
    <Long Time Lurker, Perpetual First Time Poster>

http://www.team9000.net/
  • Options
    _Cowsvils__Cowsvils_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Schroedinger's Cupcake: At one singular point in time, the cupcake is simultaneously both present and absent.
    And yet still delicious at both locations.

_Cowsvils_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If you are going for some scifi/gamer/fantasy treats, can't leave out the classic Turkish Delights from Chronicles of Narnia. According to the recipe I linked, it'd actually be a good candy alternative for those with nut allergies.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    WINNING!!
    If you are going for some scifi/gamer/fantasy treats, can't leave out the classic Turkish Delights from Chronicles of Narnia. According to the recipe I linked, it'd actually be a good candy alternative for those with nut allergies.
    I <3 turkish delights (lokum). I like pistachio best. Rose water is nice too, but a really acquired taste. Kind of a neat idea.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have registered! I am so excited! I live in Seattle, am a past PAX attendee, and love baking delicious treats. Past accomplishments include (but are not limited to) the Mario Boo Halloween Carrot Cake, Strawberry Jello Marshmellow Cake, and any number of intricately decorated sugar cookies. I am happy to distribute other people's contributions as well, for those unable to make it.

Get your Charity on!

emimonster on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Although she's not going with me, my girlfriend has offered to make cake pops for you guys. They are really delish.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Awesome redhalo! And great ideas everyone!

To those who have registered in the past couple of days, my apologies on the delays: it's been kind of a hectic and sleep deprived week, I'll be catching up this weekend. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    sleep is for the weak.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still seem to be having trouble accessing anything on the CB website. I got an email to activate my account and have done so but it still does not let me do much but login and look at my own profile info. I can't access boards etc.

Is there another step that I will need to go through? I saw the message about having to screen people but I thought since I got the account setup email then I was in the clear.

Halp!? =)

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Aye, the E-Mail you got should've told you that someone would be contacting you shortly: I've been running behind by a couple of days due to sleep deprivation. I'm working on catching up right now, you should get a PM soon.

EDIT: There you go, check your inbox here! =) I just had to pull myself out of the stupor I've been in and get to it... and get some decent sleep this weekend. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aww I didn't mean to say it had to be fixed now or anything! I was just confused on the system! But thank you!!

<3

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh no worries, it's okay! It was good that you said something, I had to get off my butt and get on the registrations. I'd been procrastinating, and it really doesn't take that long to do =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm eating some INCREDIBLE Ghoraibi from N&J's here in Wichita ... and my first-ever pan of homemade cinnamon rolls is going through it's second raise right now.

That's right. I'm hardcore. :P

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Can large items be given out? I made small, medium, and cake sized cookie bars for another gamer forum meet. The bars were free and the cakes were just reserves, but a small handful of folks just wanted the cakes and ended up asking if they could buy them. Long story short, folks bought over one hundred dollars worth of the cookie cakes.

It probably is too awkward to do if folks are hoofing it and distributing by hand at PAX, but I wonder if there would be at least a few people who wanted to buy one cake-sized cookie.

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can large items be given out? I made small, medium, and cake sized cookie bars for another gamer forum meet. The bars were free and the cakes were just reserves, but a small handful of folks just wanted the cakes and ended up asking if they could buy them. Long story short, folks bought over one hundred dollars worth of the cookie cakes.

It probably is too awkward to do if folks are hoofing it and distributing by hand at PAX, but I wonder if there would be at least a few people who wanted to buy one cake-sized cookie.

As a distributor, I'd lean towards no. The cookies should be able to be packaged into snack bags or sandwich bags (less than a quart bag is the key). If you make cookie bars, it'd be better to cut them up into individual portions and package them as such. With the exception of some people, who make Brigade bandoliers for cookies, most people will be using messenger bags and baskets, so they can't handle a ton of cookies. Also, the standard donation for the Brigade is 1 to 2 dollars per item, so a full sized cookie cake would probably garnish a higher price tag, which we can get if people are REALLY generous, but most of the time, people will give at most 5 dollars at a time.

HOWEVER, "bars" (in the Midwestern Lutheran Basement potluck sense) are totally legit, especially if you make a good flavor that people will love. I had a friend who parbaked chocolate chip cookie dough in a pan, then finished baking it with brownie batter put on top. That sort of thing would go down really well.

EDIT: Totally forgot about the special projects VThornheart brought up below. But that's all true. Cookie cake bar pan bear pigs are perfect for auctions and events to get the name out there, so that would be awesome for a sister project.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Feitocomfruta,

Thank you for the quick response.

Yes, as in the Lutheran sense. I bake for Lutheran and inter-faith potlucks all the time! Bars are doable. I only know how to cook large amounts at once, so I will have to figure out how distribution works first. XD

I asked about the cakes because although I figured folks dealt with single portions, there is always a chance you get mega-foodies [like the folks I ran into at the other place] who demand more.

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    However, be not discouraged! These larger "cookie cakes" would be a great thing for some of our "sister projects"!

For example, Facelesscog is our primary contact with Loading Ready Run (the people who do the Desert Bus for Hope), and he started a "cookie auction" with them that happens during Desert Bus for Hope. A Cookie Cake could be ideal for that: I imagine since it's in a pan and all, it would be readily shippable to whoever won! Just something interesting to consider! We have several "special projects", and there's always room for more: when we get you approved on the site, you can check them out and start talking with the people who are in charge of said projects: I bet they'd love your cookie cake idea!

EDIT: Also, I can't talk too much about the details of how distribution works here, but essentially we have people running around all over PAX with cookies in tow, handing them out to people in lines, standing about, or playing games. We accept donations as well: and people may give a dollar, they may give 20 dollars, they may give 5 cents. They may not give anything of course as well! Hopefully this helps a little with how our distribution tends to work. We can go over more of the logistics details when you get into the site.

EDIT 2: Ah, somehow I missed it: feitocomfruta already gave the info in that last edit! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I have a fan on another forum who regularly orders them. I actually bake them in a springform pan, plastic wrap them, and ship them in fruitcake containers. Unless it is my fan who buys in bulk which consists of baking three, plastic wrapping them, and putting them in those popcorn drums. XD

I have also baked for the World Association for Children and Parents Children's Hope Auction. If there is an auction, I can definitely wrestle up the recipes that went over well there too.

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sweet! That's fantastic! Indeed, this will definitely come in handy when Desert Bus for Hope comes around again, as well as the Child's Play Auction! Glad to have you with us on the Brigade! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow thank you for all the hard work VTornheart!

emimonster on
  • Options
    SeaSkyShoreSeaSkyShore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would love to bake some red-shirt gingerbread men for Prime!
    OrILvl.jpg
    I made some last year for Christmas. I also made a myself a gingerbread away-team; Poor ensign Ricky...

SeaSkyShore on
    Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    LOL! That is fantastic! =)=)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    OrILvl.jpg
    I made some last year for Christmas. I also made a myself a gingerbread away-team; Poor ensign Ricky...

You win this thread.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For cupcakes I've served them in plastic cups sealed in decorated goody bags - hope that makes sense! I'm in total momzombie mode right now.

I will be signing up on the website, I bake A LOT, mostly out of boredom. We've reached a point in my house where the kids would rather have girl scout cookies ... o_O

GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow!! Kirk's hair is amazingly realistic!!!!!!

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OrILvl.jpg
    My friend will have your children or the other way around. She will definitely want to donate and get some of those so yummy red shirts!

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeaSkyShoreSeaSkyShore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hml151 wrote: »
    My friend will have your children or the other way around. She will definitely want to donate and get some of those so yummy red shirts!

Your friend might not have to wait till PAX if she lives in Spokane like you, I am fairly close (Sandpoint).
    And as for the childbearing thing, I think I will have to clear it with my husband first ;)

SeaSkyShore on
    Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. - John Lennon