As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boston Game Night - July Edition - Tuesday, July 29th - Khadour's Last Stand

• Options
    tabonetabone Registered User new member
    Last minute discoverer, standing by!

I can bring a copy of Catan. Happy to play / teach it, and happy to hand it off and learn a different one.

Looking forward to it!

• Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but some of us will be in the area the weekend after PAX and drinking in Boston. I am definitely hitting the bars Saturday, September 3rd and always welcome nerdy comrades! PM if you'd like details.

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Hmmm . . . not sure how much free time I'll have this weekend, but if I can swing it, I'm always up for hanging out with fellow PAXers.

In other news, don't forget - gaming tomorrow night at J. J. Foley's on Kingston (yes, there are 2 of them - we're at the one on Kingston), 6:30 until whenever (usually 11ish). Come play games, and get regaled with stories from those who were at PAX Prime this past weekend . . .

Hope to see everyone there!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Alright well I work until 8 tomorrow, and I wanted to go to this, but is it under-21 friendly? I still have a couple of months...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure we've had a few underage people show up before. I've never seen them card anyone at the door.

In related news: I'm sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight. Flight leaves at 6am (Seattle time, 3 more hours) and I'll land in Boston around 5pm. Fully expect to be falling asleep standing up tonight :P

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I wanna be there tonight so badly...if only to pick over unwanted swag people bring back from Prime :P

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    punzie wrote:
    I'm pretty sure we've had a few underage people show up before. I've never seen them card anyone at the door.

In related news: I'm sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight. Flight leaves at 6am (Seattle time, 3 more hours) and I'll land in Boston around 5pm. Fully expect to be falling asleep standing up tonight :P

I'm extremely tired too. I was finally able to force myself to sleep at 3am eastern, but had to get up at 7:30 for work this morning. To make it worse, they have me working an 11 hour shift today... Afterword though, I will head on over.

AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    I will most likely be stopping by after work to say hello and let all of the returning PAXers know how jealous I am.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    punzie wrote:
    Fully expect to be falling asleep standing up tonight :P

We'll pump you full of Red Bull or something to keep you awake . . .
    LTAcosta wrote:
    Alright well I work until 8 tomorrow, and I wanted to go to this, but is it under-21 friendly? I still have a couple of months...

Like punzie said, I haven't seen them card anyone, and we're usually there until at least 11, so come on down after work. Make sure you go to the J. J. Foley's on Kingston St., since there are 2 of them.

I've got Settlers, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Stone Age, 7 Wonders, Munchkin Zombies, and Zombie Dice packed in the car. trinistand said he was going to bring Kingdoms, Race for the Galaxy, Thunderstone, and Pandemic. I'll be swinging by the house on the way downtown, so if anyone has any other requests I should be able to pick it up - just let me know!

See everyone later tonight . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    might actually make it to this get together for the first time tonight! how do you all find each other? i've never been to jj foley's before. i'll be traveling relatively light, since i'm not 100% sure i'll make it, but if i do i'll have zombie dice, zombie fluxx, and we didn't playtest this at all. can't wait to hear some post-pax prime stories!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    tvethiopia wrote:
    might actually make it to this get together for the first time tonight! how do you all find each other? i've never been to jj foley's before. i'll be traveling relatively light, since i'm not 100% sure i'll make it, but if i do i'll have zombie dice, zombie fluxx, and we didn't playtest this at all. can't wait to hear some post-pax prime stories!

There's a back room that we usually commandeer. Just head to the back and look for the board games. :)

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Bah, I'll do my best to make it tonight. Had some health problems recently but I figure if jetlagged PAXPrime folks can show up so can I! and I have the day off tomorrow, so NO EXCUSES.

Re: This weekend, I would like to know where the drinking's at! I have a bunch of non Pax nerdfriends coming up for a visit, but they're always up for card games, so...
    tvethiopia wrote:

As said earlier, it's quite simple -- just head straight for the back room. we usually sit on the left side. We're the loud ones with the cards ;)

I'd say "look for my hat" except I'm probably not going to wear the hat tonight, so I guess if you can spot the ginger...!

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Re: This weekend, I would like to know where the drinking's at! I have a bunch of non Pax nerdfriends coming up for a visit, but they're always up for card games, so...

PeasantDave said to PM him for details. That would probably be a good first step . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

• Options

I don't think that we have set a destination yet. When we have the details ironed out we'll probably post them at the facebook event page.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    Was great seeing everyone again last night, and meeting the new folks!

Sorry to hear about them stopping you at the door, LTAcosta - you're the first person I've heard of them turning away at the door. Rest assured, there will be other events at different (i.e. non-bar) venues for you to attend in the near future. . .

xWDsUaZ.png

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    rats! wasn't able to make it due to a combination of car and laundry troubles (don't ask), but i'll definitely do my damnedest to make it to the next one in september. maybe by then we'll already be buying our badges for east 2012!!!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    CaveCibumCaveCibum Registered User regular
    I'm so happy I was finally able to attend! It was great meeting new folks and playing new games. See you again soon!

• Options
    I finally got told I could go home at about 730 last night, and if I hadnt A: been in uniform still and B: in desperate need of a shower and sleep i would've just driven straight into town and made an appearance.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • Options
    etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    Wow usually it doesn't set in this fast for me. I'm sitting here, bummed out. Probably because of the lack of adrenaline, which I ran off of all weekend, and the lack of sleep.

I even snapped on a friend of mine last night over silly crap. I feel silly, but that's just how great vacations go I suppose. You have an amazing time for a few days, come home, the adrenaline wears off and you have no energy. Hope this wears off soon. I have work to return to today! :P

Let there be games!
  • Options
    As noted earlier, there will be a congregation of PAXers at Kings on Saturday night. (September 3) Anyone who wants to come is welcome to!

Facebook event

• Options
    How was Kings last Saturday? The entire past week has been a blur - sorry I didn't make it out to join you guys . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

• Options
    Khadour wrote:
    How was Kings last Saturday? The entire past week has been a blur - sorry I didn't make it out to join you guys . . .

Between 10 and 15 people made it out, all and all a great time! We also got to play some card games at Lower Depths before hand. Thanks for letting me borrow your thread. :)

• Options
    There was less gaming, more drinking (neon blue fish bowls!) and karaoke :D

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    punzie wrote:

Mmmm . . . neon blue fish bowls . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Khadour wrote:
    punzie wrote:

Mmmm . . . neon blue fish bowls . . .

We were robbed of swedish fish, but the neon was excellent. There was also some gaming, we played a few rounds of Weinhändler (which was excellent).

Edit: We also played a bunch of Guillotine which was easy to pick up and super fun. Visiting "The Compleat Strategist" earlier in the day may have caused our wallets some trouble.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    ricknubricknub Registered User new member
    I went to one of these meets in April and had a great time! Now that my course schedule allows me to go out on Tuesdays, I hope to make it to more!

I was actually wondering if it would be okay if I cross-posted this to reddit -- specifically the Boston Boardgames Group -- in case there are PAX attendees on there who are not currently aware of this meetup and who do not frequent the Penny Arcade forums. I'm not sure how big your crowd gets at JJ Foley's now, so I'd hate to make a post opening this up to more people if you're already at/near capacity. Just let me know if it's okay, or if it would be a problem.

• Options
    ricknub wrote:
    I was actually wondering if it would be okay if I cross-posted this to reddit -- specifically the Boston Boardgames Group -- in case there are PAX attendees on there who are not currently aware of this meetup and who do not frequent the Penny Arcade forums. I'm not sure how big your crowd gets at JJ Foley's now, so I'd hate to make a post opening this up to more people if you're already at/near capacity. Just let me know if it's okay, or if it would be a problem.
    Not a problem - I think arsonisfun may well have already done this, as he's our resident reddit wonk, and we've had a few redditors show up each month. Feel free to post - the more players, the more fun! We generally don't get more than 15 or so a month, so we usually only take up about half of the back room . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

• Options
    Having not seen everyone in almost 2 months, I cant wait for the 27th.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • Options
    ricknub wrote:
    I went to one of these meets in April and had a great time! Now that my course schedule allows me to go out on Tuesdays, I hope to make it to more!

There's a couple of redditors who go to the PAX meetup. Also, last month's r/Boston meetup happened to be at JJ Foleys on the night after our meetup. So there's already a lot of cross-pollination going on.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    Tomorrow it is - see everyone at Foley's 6:30ish! Any game requests?

xWDsUaZ.png

• Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    I should be rolling in at 8:30, stupid work meeting ;___;

MUNCHKIN!

PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    Khadour wrote:
    Tomorrow it is - see everyone at Foley's 6:30ish! Any game requests?

UPS has decided to deliver my copy of Dominion... on Wednesday. If you have a copy and wouldn't mind bringing that along I'd appreciate it. :)

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    ukiyo e wrote:
    UPS has decided to deliver my copy of Dominion... on Wednesday. If you have a copy and wouldn't mind bringing that along I'd appreciate it. :)
    No problem - want me to bring any of the expansions in particular, or just the base game?

xWDsUaZ.png

• Options
    ricknubricknub Registered User new member
    I should be able to make this, and I'll probably be bringing 7 wonders and possibly another game (Cargo Noir?).

• Options
    Sadly I once again wont be able to join everyone tonight... :(

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • Options
    Khadour wrote:
    ukiyo e wrote:
    No problem - want me to bring any of the expansions in particular, or just the base game?

Just the base game will be fine. There are some new players who are interested in learning how to play.
    ricknub wrote:
    I should be able to make this, and I'll probably be bringing 7 wonders and possibly another game (Cargo Noir?).

Sweet. I've been wanting to try 7 wonders.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    OK - in the box for tonight, we have:
    Dominion
    7 Wonders
    Munchkin
    Munchkin Zombies
    Zombie Dice
    Cards Against Humanity
    Ticket To Ride
    Stone Age
    Carcassonne
    Puerto Rico

I will be swinging by the house to change on my way downtown, so if anyone wants me to bring anything else, just let me know!

xWDsUaZ.png

• Options
    Was great seeing everyone last night - a good time was had by all! See you again next month . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

• Options
    Haha. We've been changed from post-PAX depression to pre-PAX excitement? This seems much more positive to me. I like it!

Last night's Cookie Brigade totals: $54

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    So guys! Unrelated to the meetup, but still awesome! The Protomen and I Fight Dragons are coming to The Middle East bar and club in Cambridge on November 7th at 8:00 pm. Now I don't know about you, but I LOVE the Protomen, and I don't know I Fight Dragons but they seem to be pretty quality too. Does anyone else want to go? I've got a small group of nerdfriends going with me, but I thought this might be Relevant To Your Interests.

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=4022835

^ Tickets there!

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/