Options

Dragon Sage II: A Lizard did it. PS3 Patch?

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So far I've played as Warrior and Rogue, and Warrior was more fun simply because you charge in and wreck shop on multiple enemies. Warriors truly can do AoE in this game with 2H weapon and vanguard tree alone.

Rogue was fun for simply owning an enemy at will. Just pick one guy on the battlefield and you will make that guy explode.

Hunter on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Some quest questions (probably don't want to click if you haven't beat them game:
    Can you progress through the game without Anders blowing up the Chantry? Luckily I saved before doing so, but opted to do the quest, since ominous he was being, I didn't think he'd BLOW UP THE FUCKING CHANTRY.

I beat the High Dragon, but how do I get to the other high level bosses in Act 3? One of them seems to drop a good 2 handed weapon, which is one thing I was missing through Act 3.

Javen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    So far I've played as Warrior and Rogue, and Warrior was more fun simply because you charge in and wreck shop on multiple enemies. Warriors truly can do AoE in this game with 2H weapon and vanguard tree alone.

Rogue was fun for simply owning an enemy at will. Just pick one guy on the battlefield and you will make that guy explode.

Yeah, Rogues seem to be great against a single dudes but warriors can chop up multiple enemies at the same time. I find the sword and shield tree to be sadly lacking, though I guess if you upgrade all those shield strikes it seems like they can do a lot of damage.

Solar on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Anyhoo, just finished my second run
    Siding with the Templars is a far more satisfying ending, and it feels a lot more natural, what with so many mages summoning demons and so on. Also Cullen as a hard but dedicated and honourable man works a lot better than Cullen the Zealot from the first game.

Also the Band of Three messages are so cool. Love the way they turn out, and I wonder if you can line up the name letters used in the messages with characters in the game.

I liked them too. I didn't really think though about the Band being actual NPCs found in the game though. As for the ending, I have to disagree...
    I know the Kirkwall mages tend to be a bit easier to go Abomination/try Blood Magic but that still doesn't excuse Meredith from trying to kill the entire Circle, guilty and innocent alike. Especially since neither were responsible for the Chantry's destruction.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Javen wrote: »
    Some quest questions (probably don't want to click if you haven't beat them game:
    Can you progress through the game without Anders blowing up the Chantry? Luckily I saved before doing so, but opted to do the quest, since ominous he was being, I didn't think he'd BLOW UP THE FUCKING CHANTRY.

I beat the High Dragon, but how do I get to the other high level bosses in Act 3? One of them seems to drop a good 2 handed weapon, which is one thing I was missing through Act 3.
    Anders will always blow up the Chantry AFAIK. That is something that cannot be avoided. I stabbed the little shit for that because I had this under control you dickhead.

In order to unlock the Pride Demon Hybris, you need to do three unique and un-named quests first. Go to the wounded coast and head down the little blocked off path just south of where you startm you'll find a scroll, activate it and then carry on West, you'll encounter a bunch of undead, kill them.

Then go to Sundermount, head up toward the summit and at one of the little plateaus where you fight spiders/corpses/wev you will find a second scroll. Go through the caves and further up the mountain, you will come across a pair of Revenants who are tough as shit. Kill them and get probably the best two handed weapon in the game (Bloom, an Axe).

Then go back down the mountain, and if you remember the Dalish camp entrance where you first met those two guards? Well looking out of the camp turn right up a little hillock, there is another scroll, which tells you a nearby lair is open. Head towards the caves where you fight Zevran, past the camp, on your left I think there is another bunch of undead, or they are in a cave or something. Kill them.

Then head to Ander's clinic, and go inside the "secret lair," which should be where your family vault quest entrance was. inside you will find Hybris, a rock hard pride demon who brings his own brand of shitfuckery to the table and summons rage demons all the time. Kill him for a sweet longsword, a cheevo and some tasty, tasty XP.

Solar on
  • Options
    OwlbatOwlbat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Siding with the Templars is a far more satisfying ending, and it feels a lot more natural, what with so many mages summoning demons and so on. Also Cullen as a hard but dedicated and honourable man works a lot better than Cullen the Zealot from the first game.

Also the Band of Three messages are so cool. Love the way they turn out, and I wonder if you can line up the name letters used in the messages with characters in the game.

I liked them too. I didn't really think though about the Band being actual NPCs found in the game though. As for the ending, I have to disagree...
    I know the Kirkwall mages tend to be a bit easier to go Abomination/try Blood Magic but that still doesn't excuse Meredith from trying to kill the entire Circle, guilty and innocent alike. Especially since neither were responsible for the Chantry's destruction.
    I thought the Templar ending was much better too. Cullen, who I assume becomes the new Knight-Commander, shows that he isn't an asshole that wants to kill all mages as shown when a couple of mages come and surrender when you reach the Templar Hall and Cullen is all cool with them giving up

Owlbat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Never gonna side with the Templars
    Templars locking Mages up in towers ain't cool to me regardless of how decent individual templars are- straight-up human rights violation

if they just settled on hunting criminal mages, I'd probably be more okay with them

sure, people like Anders can do awful things fairly easily but so can the militant wing of a religious organization

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Owlbat wrote: »

I thought the Templar ending was much better too. Cullen, who I assume becomes the new Knight-Commander, shows that he isn't an asshole that wants to kill all mages as shown when a couple of mages come and surrender when you reach the Templar Hall and Cullen is all cool with them giving up
    He also stands up to the Knight-Commander, and in the Act 3 Templar assisting mages to escape the Circle quest, he speaks out against killing mages if they openly surrender. I think he's just an all around good guy.

If the Templar ending means that the whole thing wasn't because of the fucking idol, then yeah, much better ending.

And yeah, siding with terminating all mages is pretty much something I'll never do, even though the game pretty crazily beats you over the head with corrupted mages using blood magic and being demons and killing innocent people.

Javen on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

He also stands up to the Knight-Commander, and in the Act 3 Templar assisting mages to escape the Circle quest, he speaks out against killing mages if they openly surrender. I think he's just an all around good guy.

If the Templar ending means that the whole thing wasn't because of the fucking idol, then yeah, much better ending.

And yeah, siding with terminating all mages is pretty much something I'll never do, even though the game pretty crazily beats you over the head with corrupted mages using blood magic and being demons and killing innocent people.

Well, to be fair
    The mages that are quiet and aren't crazy fucks don't get enough credit, and of course an adventuring type would run into them less

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Dubh wrote: »

Well, to be fair
    The mages that are quiet and aren't crazy fucks don't get enough credit, and of course an adventuring type would run into them less
    I was more referring to the sheer ratio of blood mage shenannigan quests. Kirkwall is practically teeming with gangs and slavers at night, but you hardly get any quests regarding them, or the coeterie, or whatever. It's all blood mage demon demon fade blood mage demon

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Templars locking Mages up in towers ain't cool to me regardless of how decent individual templars are- straight-up human rights violation

if they just settled on hunting criminal mages, I'd probably be more okay with them

sure, people like Anders can do awful things fairly easily but so can the militant wing of a religious organization
    Yeah, see I feel like that as well, which is why even when I backed the Templars it was always with the idea of showing the mages mercy and protecting them from Meredith's excessions. But at the same time, whole swathes of them are clearly using blood magic and summoning demons and so on, and just saying "OK, run riot" is clearly going to let a lot of people killed. On the other hand, is it right to imprison them? It isn't really, and the circle does not work. It's a tough dilemma, which is why I like it.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah, see I feel like that as well, which is why even when I backed the Templars it was always with the idea of showing the mages mercy and protecting them from Meredith's excessions. But at the same time, whole swathes of them are clearly using blood magic and summoning demons and so on, and just saying "OK, run riot" is clearly going to let a lot of people killed. On the other hand, is it right to imprison them? It isn't really, and the circle does not work. It's a tough dilemma, which is why I like it.
    I don't mind the Templar really, or the Chantry. I think when you have mages running around, you need some kind of check, some foil, a role which Templar tend to balance nicely. It's the 'we imprison you for your own good' that gets me in the end, which is why I always helped Templar, when they weren't working toward that goal. I hate all Templar as much or as little as I hate all Mages, which is to say, none at all, except on the individual level. During the game you actually run into MORE evil Mages than Templar

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It definitely is a hard call, despite my leanings
    Ander's terrorist operation hit me hard, since I've already made my philosophical allegiance to the mages

the grand cleric managed to garner my respect despite my intense dislike of the chantry

plus, she was sort of a bad-ass

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Goddamnit, I'm so tempted to click on all those spoilers...

Dux on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It definitely is a hard call, despite my leanings
    Ander's terrorist operation hit me hard, since I've already made my philosophical allegiance to the mages

the grand cleric managed to garner my respect despite my intense dislike of the chantry

plus, she was sort of a bad-ass
    Elthina kind of pissed me off, because it was more that she didn't want to take sides. She didn't even want to get involved, even if it was just keeping the peace. She was very much an irrelevant party, which is why it was all the more confusing that Anders targeted her.

Also, question about companions armor upgrades. I apparently missed a ton, but when I get them, is it supposed to change their garb at all? Or is it purely function over fashion?

Javen on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dux wrote: »
    Goddamnit, I'm so tempted to click on all those spoilers...

unless you are going to buy the game like next week, just do it.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Pure functional

any garb changes are story changes
    I liked Elthina because she was siding with the populace of the city, which would definitely suffer in an all-out conflict between templars and mages whichtotallyhappenedthankstoyouAndersyoubutt

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited March 2011

I don't mind the Templar really, or the Chantry. I think when you have mages running around, you need some kind of check, some foil, a role which Templar tend to balance nicely. It's the 'we imprison you for your own good' that gets me in the end, which is why I always helped Templar, when they weren't working toward that goal. I hate all Templar as much or as little as I hate all Mages, which is to say, none at all, except on the individual level. During the game you actually run into MORE evil Mages than Templar
    Well, both are bad, and the Templars can be called responsible for making the situation worse, though that was mostly just Meredith, with Anders being her opposite number. For a lot of Templars, they are doing the right thing, just following the ways taught to them in the chant since a very young age, like every over member of the Andrastian Chantry.

As far as the Grand Cleric went, I liked her calm, thoughtful nature, but also she can be named as responsible for a lot of what goes on. She let's Meredith push the mages as hard as she wants, she doesn't step in at all, and really is very much a non-entity in the struggle, as well as being blind to the actions of her own people. After all, had she been more vigilant and taken more personal control, the whole thing with the Qunari could have been very different. So yeah, didn't like her much to be honest.

Solar on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys, if any of you haven't bought this game yet, it's $40 on Amazon right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0047TG2R0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1300826069&sr=1-1

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My thoughts on Mages vs Templars.
    In general it seems that more often than not the mages that go crazed, quickly go to blood magic, or go full demon fucker are pushed there by the actions of the chantry and templars. Dragging kids from families because they have magic is not cool. Just being generally dickfaces to mages is not cool. Locking them up, just making them tranquil because they talked back or looked at you with a nasty face, and physically abusing them is also not cool.

If you abuse a dog and it turns on you, don't bitch about being bit. If the dog can also summon demons, throw fireballs, and make your penis explode with its mind...then you are fucking more stupid for abusing it.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    In general it seems that more often than not the mages that go crazed, quickly go to blood magic, or go full demon fucker are pushed there by the actions of the chantry and templars. Dragging kids from families because they have magic is not cool. Just being generally dickfaces to mages is not cool. Locking them up, just making them tranquil because they talked back or looked at you with a nasty face, and physically abusing them is also not cool.

If you abuse a dog and it turns on you, don't bitch about being bit. If the dog can also summon demons, throw fireballs, and make your penis explode with its mind...then you are fucking more stupid for abusing it.
    You can really blame the Templars for that, especially after talking to Fenris about Tevinter. Everyone and their mom is a blood mage over there, and when they could no longer blame Templars for driving them to blood magic, they just found other reasons.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    One more thing!
    I lost my Origins save back in the day, so do all those cameos in act 3 play into imported saves at all, or what? I had a quest that introduces them, and that's it? Is there a string of events where anything more happens with any of them?

Javen on
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    really need to beat this game

so many delicious spoilers

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One more thing!
    I lost my Origins save back in the day, so do all those cameos in act 3 play into imported saves at all, or what? I had a quest that introduces them, and that's it? Is there a string of events where anything more happens with any of them?

THere's a program you can download that lets you make a DA:O save just for importing into DA2.

You can pick what important decisions you make regarding the main plot in the main game and in Awakening, as well as other details.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    mister tuxedomister tuxedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pure functional

any garb changes are story changes
    I liked Elthina because she was siding with the populace of the city, which would definitely suffer in an all-out conflict between templars and mages whichtotallyhappenedthankstoyouAndersyoubutt

This brings to mind the poor sop citizens of kirkwall.
    I wonder how many were in the chantry and how many the bloodmages used as thralls/ drained of blood to power up vs templars.
    And then there's Anders,
    Who constantly condemns Fenris' views on mage slaying as well as constantly berating Merrill for being an abomination. Double contradiction since he is one, and HIS actions at the chantry push so many mages from the circle to blood magic. Has anyone who let him live received any commentary from him on all this towards the end?

mister tuxedo on
    Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment/ PO Box 20068/ 104 60 Stockholm/ Sweden
    Send them a Pair of Running Shoes. Used or Otherwise. Or a letter, but let's not be formulaic. Send them a picture of trainers, too. Or a painting. Or money. Whatever.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

You can really blame the Templars for that, especially after talking to Fenris about Tevinter. Everyone and their mom is a blood mage over there, and when they could no longer blame Templars for driving them to blood magic, they just found other reasons.
    Most of my problem with mages being given free reign really comes from the whole Tevinter thing, especially after the Fenris quests. The dragging kids from their families at a tender age kinda has a good reason in their world because the kid can accidentally set the whole town and everyone's penis on fire and that's not cool. Even Meredith shares a story about how her sister killed a whole bunch of people in her town because her family didn't give her to the Circle. Templars have a good reason for existing, it's just people like Ser Alrik and crazy Meredith that makes it hard on the mages when it is shown by Thrask and Cullen that peaceful existence between the two entities is possible. Anders is butt.

Owlbat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And then there's Anders,
    Who constantly condemns Fenris' views on mage slaying as well as constantly berating Merrill for being an abomination. Double contradiction since he is one, and HIS actions at the chantry push so many mages from the circle to blood magic. Has anyone who let him live received any commentary from him on all this towards the end?
    He only said he was glad I stuck by him and didn't shiv him on the spot. I would have executed him after becoming Viscount if I could have.

He didn't need to know that, though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Most of my problem with mages being given free reign really comes from the whole Tevinter thing, especially after the Fenris quests. The dragging kids from their families at a tender age kinda has a good reason in their world because the kid can accidentally set the whole town and everyone's penis on fire and that's not cool. Even Meredith shares a story about how her sister killed a whole bunch of people in her town because her family didn't give her to the Circle. Templars have a good reason for existing, it's just people like Ser Alrik and crazy Meredith that makes it hard on the mages when it is shown by Thrask and Cullen that peaceful existence between the two entities is possible. Anders is butt.
    Well, Thrask is a lot less hard-line than Cullen. But his view that Templars and Mages need to work together makes sense, and would result in a lot fewer Mages turning to demons et al in order to resist the Chantry. Honestly the circle as it is just fucking sucks massive balls and is clearly a terrible system. A new system is necessary, though Anders' idea that mages can live free does not entirely work.

Of course, that guy is utterly retarded when it comes to mages. When you mum gets killed he is like "I can't imagine a mage would ever do that!" and I am like "dude, look out of your fucking window, mages are doing this shit all the time." And then he fucking does it.

ARGH FUCK I HATE YOU SO MUCH ANDERS YOU FUCKING SHITDICK

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A mage and templar coalition wouldn't be a bad thing, come to think of it

as long as the mages that aren't crazy shitheels are treated fairly, I don't have a problem with it

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    mister tuxedomister tuxedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Well, Thrask is a lot less hard-line than Cullen. But his view that Templars and Mages need to work together makes sense, and would result in a lot fewer Mages turning to demons et al in order to resist the Chantry. Honestly the circle as it is just fucking sucks massive balls and is clearly a terrible system. A new system is necessary, though Anders' idea that mages can live free does not entirely work.

Of course, that guy is utterly retarded when it comes to mages. When you mum gets killed he is like "I can't imagine a mage would ever do that!" and I am like "dude, look out of your fucking window, mages are doing this shit all the time." And then he fucking does it.

ARGH FUCK I HATE YOU SO MUCH ANDERS YOU FUCKING SHITDICK

Kinda wish there was a more...
    appropriately violent manner to slay that bastard-ass mofo

mister tuxedo on
    Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment/ PO Box 20068/ 104 60 Stockholm/ Sweden
    Send them a Pair of Running Shoes. Used or Otherwise. Or a letter, but let's not be formulaic. Send them a picture of trainers, too. Or a painting. Or money. Whatever.
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anders is Jesus.
    History will vindicate him.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2011
    anders should be on t-shirts like che

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Too bad he was rolling with a man called Hawke.

Carver learned there isn't anyway out of his shadow. No matter the distance he placed between themselves.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anders feels like the guy in highschool that you hang with, because the dude doesn't have a lot friends, has a terrible attitude, is always fucking up, but still seems like he could redeem himself.
    Then he brings a gun to school and you're like, goddamnit Anders. Why do you gotta be such a fuckup?

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    anders should be on t-shirts like che

I'm waiting for the 'Felicitate Me!' shirt myself.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anders feels like the guy in highschool that you hang with, because the dude doesn't have a lot friends, has a terrible attitude, is always fucking up, but still seems like he could redeem himself.
    Then he brings a gun to school and you're like, goddamnit Anders. Why do you gotta be such a fuckup?

This is...a surprisingly good analogy...

Oghulk on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I liked him far more in Awakening.

He was funny.

And not a depressing, unfunny douche.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I liked him and I liked
    Justice
    so I figured it would be a great combo, but no. Emo mage.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Should just treat mages like pokemon.

Owlbat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I don't know if this is really a spoiler, since it's speculation about lore, but
    In the last Enigma of Kirkwall (Band of Three) entry, the writer seems to think that an unbound demon is a Forgotten One. Those are the underworld gods of the elf religion.

So I'm thinking either the writer was an elf or his research led him to put at least as much stock in the underpinnings of Dalish tradition as Chantry tradition to explain the supernatural.

I like the second line of thought because I like the idea that neither religion is really a definitive explanation of history but that they are both myths with some basis in truth.

Alternately, I'm putting too much thought into a throw away line in a codex entry.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png