Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E IC] Residuum Revolution Strange- Outlaws!

16791112

Posts

  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    Works for me.

  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    Awesome.

    The group, with the shiny rock and the squat dwarf leading the way, begin their trek through the oak grove. The leaves on the ground make it somewhat slippery, and you rustle slightly as it gets darker and darker. The moon rises and shines a bit of light on the path that Mnemno and Tordain are picking through. Suddenly, the rock stops, radiating warning colors. Tordain whispers, "Did ye all hear that?"

    Alerted by your...alerter companions, you hear a faint rustle, like footsteps through leaves. As your eyes adjust to the dim light, you realize that some of the trees seem to have shadows behind them. Turning, it appears you are surrounded. By what, you cannot quite make out.

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    Tordain's hand goes to his new hammer, ready to wield it at a moment's notice. "Come out and we can talk, we've had too strange a day so far by half."

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    A creature that most of you have never seen before steps out from the trees. She is the color of the leaves of the tree she stands next to, and she glimmers slightly in the moonlight. Those of you that have any historical training recognize her as a mythological (???) nymph. An oak nymph to be precise. She bows, then flutters a little.

    "Excuse me. We need a little help."

    She gestures to the trees around you and you notice that there are many more of these creatures. You can see the faint shimmer of their bodies as they extend out from around you in all directions.

  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    Ladej's corona flares. What now?

    What the fuck is an oak nymph
    Nature: 1d20+3 19

    I'm providing ambience.
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    You're looking at a fey creature, probably a spirit that inhabits an oak tree. You thought they were extinct on this plane. They are similar in your mind to elementals.

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    Tordain was about to open his mouth and say something about requesting the day not get any stranger, then he looked around at his companions. Another servant of the gods, normal enough, but the rest? A man of flame, a man of stone? Such was his lot these days, it seemed.

    The dwarf returns the bow, but not the flutter. "And what do you need help with?"

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    The little fey creature excitedly gabbles, "We normally do not appear to people, but you look so different, we are hoping that you are like us. A group of humans has been cutting down our trees to build a structure of some sort. We want them to go back to the city and leave us in peace." She raises her hand and those of you with training sense a magical discharge. "We can use our arcane powers to bestow you with a gift, if you help us."

  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Ilesombra shifted the weight of her armor back and forth, anxiously. She was ready for battle, and these fey creatures might be able to provide not only that, but mystical knowledge as well.

    "Very well; we can look into the matter. Where are these humans?"

    steam_sig.png
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    "You are aware, of course, that humans making houses out of trees is sort of... something they normally do? Sort of like ants or termites. I'm sure it looks wierd, but it's just kind of a human thing. They harvest some things, grow others, and eventually go back to the earth. Are they doing something stranger than that?"

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    The nymph looks around nervously. "They've never encroached this far into the grove before. Angarv will be angry if we don't stop it."

    She pulls herself together. "Perhaps you would like to rest before you...exert yourself?" She indicates bowers that has been slung up in the trees, suitable for resting for the night.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    "Angarv?" The King wondered if he knew the name, or rather, if he was supposed to know the name. The Nymph had mentioned him so casually. Might as well go with it. "Oh! Yes, of course. We don't want to upset Angarv, do we?. He might do that... thing he does... and what is that again?"

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    "He'll petrify me if we don't get your help!". You hear dozens of soft wails float through the trees, almost like the breeze through branches. Only there's no wind.

    The little nymph shivers a bit.

  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    "Creature, I grow weary of your mewling. If you want our assistance, lead us to the interlopers, and we will intervene accordingly. I know not of Angarv, but I doubt he has more patience with you than we currently do," Illesombra snapped. The paladin crossed her arms and waited for the nymph to begin moving.

    steam_sig.png
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    "So you're besieged by a tyrant on one side and a desperate people on the other. I believe my companions need no rest at this time, so lead on and we shall see what we can do."

    The dwarf wasn't at all surprised he seemed to be the most civilized member of his group.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    Mnemo moves closer to some of the other nymphs while the group discusses the situation with the apparent leader of the wood spirits. It appears to be inquisitive, leaning in closely to the nymphs and tilting its head back and forth as it attempts to mimic the slightly shimmering green of the creatures.

  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    The nymph guides you in a twisting path through the woods. As you get closer, you hear the sounds of saws. It appears to be a small outpost, complete with forge, mill, and even a small shrine to Bahamut. You see people through the well-lit windows of the log house. They look like they are eating. There's even some women among them, cooking and laughing. Most are dwarves, but some are humans and there's even a dragonborn. He seems to be the smith, judging from his clothes.

  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    She gestures to the outpost. "There they are. Chopping down our trees to use for their...metal." She sniffs dismissively.

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    Tordain looks down at the encampment, trying to catch a glimpse of what they might be doing down there.

    Perception: 1d20+4 6

    Not wanting to rush to judgment, the dwarf offers a suggestion. "Perhaps one of us should go talk to them, see what is going on." Looking around at his companions, he mentally checked off most of them as ...unsuitable for this task. "It should be me or Illesombra."

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Ilesombra also takes a look at the motley crew behind her and nods to Tordain. "Let it never be said that I have never agreed with you, son of Erathis."

    The paladin strode forward with purpose and determination into the dining hall. She got the attention of the nearest person and politely said, "Excuse me, citizen. My fellows and I were passing through the area, and we happened upon this outpost. I must ask: what is the intended purpose of this settlement? Are you all searching for something out here in the woods?"

    Diplomacy: 1d20+9 17

    steam_sig.png
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    The group is just sitting down to eat, but seeing a tall fully armored warrior stride in and then ask their business in dulcet tones has them confused and alarmed. Some of the men look scared but the woman standing by the stove and the dragonborn at the head of the table look wary.

    He speaks first, "We are weaponsmiths. We sell our goods to the guards in Dade to make a living. We are searching for nothing, we are only here to forge. Why are you here?"

  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    "Fey creatures from this forest are upset about your settlement's encroachment upon the land. One of their kind, Angarv, is threatening his fellows with bodily harm if your activities continue. We are simply here to divine the truth of the situation, and to hopefully come to an arrangement that both your camp and the fey creatures can both be happy with."

    Ilesombra felt the group's eyes upon her, and she wasn't sure if her stance was inviting or threatening.

    Diplomacy: 1d20+9 13

    steam_sig.png
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    The group instantly grows more hostile.

    "Did you say you were conversing with the fey?!" the dragonborn snarls, hand on his hammer at his waist. He waits for your explanation regarding a group the govenment has worked tirelessly to extinguish.

  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Ilesombra smiles politely and replies, "Yes, we were conversing with them just as I am now conversing with you. They believe that their territory has been infringed upon unjustly, and we have taken it upon ourselves to determine if that is the case."

    Looking at the dragonborn's hammer and then back at the dragonborn, the paladin added, "We're here to get to the bottom of the matter. We don't want any trouble. However, we'd hate to have to ruin a dinner due to a misunderstanding. It smells wonderful." She shifted her weight to show these hill-people she means business.

    Diplomacy or Intimidate: 1d20+9 27

    Both skills have the same modifier; that's why I rolled Diplomacy. Let me know if I need to roll separately for Intimidate.

    steam_sig.png
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    Is there anyone in the house with her?

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    I think we were all pretty close by, but not in the house.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    Ladej had followed to the dining hall, but not closely, and had not entered. He had stopped at the open door, and leaned on the wall next to it, knowing his appearance would only make things harder for the godsworn.

    Or not, as he realizes the hall has quieted. If she was going to mention the Fey, the thought, remaining out of sight but reading his new weaponry, then she should have gone in swinging in the first place and not bother playing nice.

    I'm providing ambience.
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    With no sense of tact or timing, Mnemo simply wanders into the room next to Ilesombra. Its colour swirls to an earthy brown as it catches sight of the food, and it moves over to inspect what the people are eating. Leaning in over the tables, the construct's face stares down at the food, then up at a nearby person before switching back. It seems to want them to continue eating so it can observe.

  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    The dragonborn, taken aback by the movements of the living rock, quivers for a second in indecision. Then he snarls, "You are heretics and feylovers! Leave, or I'll cut you down! And your...companion!"

    I figure you're going to have it out with these guys. If you want to attack, roll initiative.

  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Ilesombra's smile fades and she snarls at the dragonborn. "I don't appreciate your tone or your brashness, dragonborn. I'm a warrior of faith, but I, nor my companions, shall not be subjected to slurs by the likes of you. Blood is very difficult to get out of tableclothes, so unless you cooperate and back down, the only thing this camp will be forging will be headstones for the fools that think that they can assault me or my companions, verbally or otherwise."

    The paladin sweeps her gaze across the room, making sure she makes eye contact with all of those assembled. "Do we have an understanding?"

    Intimidate: 1d20+9 16
    Initiative (when/if it comes to that): 1d20+0 18

    steam_sig.png
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Tordain moves as quickly as he can, but is just a step too slow to catch the thinking rock on its way into the lodge. He hears raised voices, and his hand moves to his hammer. "I have a bad feeling I'll be charged with treason before the day is out."

    He shakes his head. "Who am I kidding? It's already happened."

    Initiative: 1d20+1 9

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    "Yes," Ladej says, glancing at Tordain, then stepping into the room, "what a shame."

    Initiative: 1d20+0 16

    I'm providing ambience.
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    Mnemo seems barely aware of what is occurring, apparently still profoundly engrossed by the different fuels the fleshy people are ingesting.

    Initiative: 1d20+0 2

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    "...and of course there's --"

    The King suddenly realized that he wasn't talking to anybody. For that matter, he didn't know what he was talking about. Or when he had started.

    Sounds of impending violence were coming from a nearby shack. Typical.

    He reminded himself to be more aware of these strange characters in his future.

    Initiative: 1d20+0 16

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The dragonborn bellows, "Enough!" and begins to run at Ilesombra. The woman in the back grabs her iron skillet and raises it menacingly, while the dwarves all pull out crossbows and the humans stand and release flails from their belts.


    Initiative:
    Ilesombra
    Bads
    King, Ladej, Tordain, Mnemo

    Map:
    Comments about the map: The big square thing in the middle of the building is a table, and they are sitting on round circles, which are chairs. The black square in the back is a stove, sink, etc. The big red circle outside is a fire pit for the forge. The rectangular thing behind Ilesombra is the door.
    pub?id=14Ny5h9lLhQSYpeUCQFJsfcaTe7zDUqdqvTOOqqYAahg&w=1127&h=1142&ext=.png

    Stats:
    Dragonborn: 74/74 HP, AC 16; Fortitude 13, Reflex 16, Will 13, 1 AP, resist 5 fire
    Cook: 88/88 HP, AC 14, Fortitude 15, Reflex 14, Will 13, 1 AP
    Human 1: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 2: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 3: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 4: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 5: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Dwarf 1: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 12, Will 14
    Dwarf 2: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 12, Will 14
    Dwarf 3: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 12, Will 14


    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, 1 AP, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16, 1 AP
    Ladej: HP 36/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, 1 AP, Resist 5 fire
    Tordain: HP 29/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 , 1 AP
    King: HP 26/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15, 1 AP

    daniant on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ilesombra walks briskly up to the dragonborn and hisses, "Fine, fools, have it your way." The paladin swings her khopesh at the man, but he turns aside at the last moment.

    Move: to N20.
    Minor: Divine Challenge on Dragonborn. He's marked and if he attacks a non-me creature, he has a -2 to the attack roll, and he'll take 7 radiant damage.

    Valorous Smite vs Dragonborn (16): 1d20+6 11 2d8r1+4 12

    Ugh...I only had to get a 6 to burn Heroic Effort. Mega lame.

    Up Next:
    Bads
    On Deck:
    King, Ladej, Tordain, Mnemo
    Ilesombra

    Stats:
    Dragonborn: 74/74 HP, AC 16; Fortitude 13, Reflex 16, Will 13, 1 AP, resist 5 fire - Divine Challenged by Ilesombra
    Cook: 88/88 HP, AC 14, Fortitude 15, Reflex 14, Will 13, 1 AP
    Human 1: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 2: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 3: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 4: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 5: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Dwarf 1: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 12, Will 14
    Dwarf 2: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 12, Will 14
    Dwarf 3: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 12, Will 14


    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, 1 AP, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16, 1 AP
    Ladej: HP 36/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, 1 AP, Resist 5 fire
    Tordain: HP 29/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 , 1 AP
    King: HP 26/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15, 1 AP

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The dragonborn snarls at Ilesombra and then almost trips over his own longsword. The human who moves up beside him is almost just as pathetic.

    The other two humans encircle the rock, knocking chunks off of Mnemo. Finally, the three dwarves shoot bolts at Ilesombra, but only one finds purchase in a crack between her spaulder and vambrace, nicking her elbow.

    The lady with the frying pan moves up to Mnemo and two other humans move next to Ladej, barricading the door.


    Up Next:
    King, Ladej, Tordain, Mnemo, Ilesombra
    On Deck:
    Bads

    Map:
    Comments about the map: The big square thing in the middle of the building is a table, and they are sitting on round circles, which are chairs. The black square in the back is a stove, sink, etc. The big red circle outside is a fire pit for the forge. The rectangular thing behind Ilesombra is the door.
    pub?id=14Ny5h9lLhQSYpeUCQFJsfcaTe7zDUqdqvTOOqqYAahg&w=1127&h=1142&ext=.png

    Stats:
    Dragonborn: 74/74 HP, AC 16; Fortitude 13, Reflex 16, Will 13, 1 AP, resist 5 fire - Divine Challenged by Ilesombra
    Cook: 88/88 HP, AC 14, Fortitude 15, Reflex 14, Will 13, 1 AP
    Human 1: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 2: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 3: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 4: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Human 5: Minion, AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 13, Will 14
    Dwarf 1: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 12, Will 14
    Dwarf 2: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 12, Will 14
    Dwarf 3: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 14, Reflex 12, Will 14


    Mnemo: HP 16/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, 1 AP, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 23/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16, 1 AP
    Ladej: HP 36/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, 1 AP, Resist 5 fire
    Tordain: HP 29/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 , 1 AP
    King: HP 26/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15, 1 AP




    daniant on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    Almost reflexively, the King had reacted to the sudden violence by felling one of the men in the doorway with a crossbow bolt.

    "GAH!"

    He seemed as surprised as anyone else.

    standard @ human 4 - Jinx Shot vs AC: 1d20+6 24 1d6+4 5

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    Suddenly flashing ruby red, the crystalline structures combining to form Mnemo whirl in anxiety or anger as some are smashed from its "body". Suddenly, the entire construct splits apart and crystal shards fly in all directions. The moment of exultation as the humans believe they've defeated their foe is short lived, as the shards batter and slice at their flesh. Though neither they nor the cook suffer significant injuries, they are all shaken by the attack and are even more demoralised as they watch the crystals reform into Mnemo a few paces away.

    Once it has been fully reconstituted, the "rock" turns its gaze upon its erstwhile attackers. Its eyes begin to swirl a deep, threatening crimson and the humans clutch their heads in pain, their mouths gaping with confusion and horror. After a few seconds, both men go limp and fall to the floor in unconscious heaps. The cook likewise groans and holds her head, but manages to keep her feet. When she raises her gaze once more, however, her brow knits in consternation as she fails to spot the construct anywhere.

    Movement: Shard Swarm to O18. H1, H2 and Cook grant Combat Advantage to Mnemo until the end of its next turn.

    Standard: Memory Hole Augment 2 at L17
    Attack Roll vs Cook: Memory Hole vs Will: 1d20+5+2 24 2d6+7 15
    Attack Roll vs H1: Memory Hole vs Will: 1d20+5+2 24 2d6+7 19
    Attack Roll vs H2: Memory Hole vs Will: 1d20+5+2 16 2d6+7 17

    Humans 1 & 2 are out, the cook takes 15 damage and can't see Mnemo until the start of its next turn.

    Note: There's a roll not being used on Orokos because I forgot to include both the combat advantage (that I would have just added afterwards) and more importantly the second d6 on the damage due to it being augmented.

  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    Wait, is the door actually barricaded, or did the two (one now) humans just go over to block the entrance with their bodies?

    I'm providing ambience.
Sign In or Register to comment.