Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E IC] Residuum Revolution Strange- Outlaws!

167891012»

Posts

  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    Constance is pulling different bags out from behind the bar, obviously preparing supplies for you. She seems really at ease with the flaming man and the rock thing. As you discuss your need for help, she perks up a little. Tossing a huge bag of jerky on the bar, she says, "You know, you might want to talk to Vrask the Wanderer about your needs. He'll be in any time now for a pint."

    Seeing questioning looks on the faces of the people before her, she explains, "He cured my Jimmy of a broken leg the other day. Fell right off the roof. Vrask offered to mend him and after just saying a few words, Jimmy could stand again. He was running in a week." Constance smiled and said, "He'll be in any time now to see if there's someone to talk to. Vrask likes talking. Oh, and don't be scared about how he looks. He's on our side."

    She continued pottering around, gathering the supplies that you asked for.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    As if on cue, the door to the tavern bangs open and a dragonborn enters the alehouse. He is dressed just so, in expensive and tasteful travelling clothes in such a fashion to perfectly complement the blue tint to his scales. His big smile shows just the right amount of teeth to be on this side of friendly and his eyes are a brilliant sapphie blue. It does not take much imagination to see that his look would be equally natural covered in blood and mud from the road. He takes in the entire alehouse, smiling and waving at those patrons he knows as he walks to the bar. "Constance! How fares little Jimmy? Has he learned to stay off the...roof?" the Dragonborns' cultured and educated voice trails off momentarily as he sees the newcomers.

    "Well...this, this must have a story behind it." Vrask says, approaching the group and motioning for Constance to refill everyones tankards. "Well met! I am Vrask, known as the Wanderer. Simple enough really; I like to wander!" You get the idea that its probably not that simple at all. But what story is these days? Vrask continues, "I wander to see the world, collect her stories and spread them where I may. And you, my friends, you must certainly have a story to tell. One of you is on fire, and another is made of rocks! And a dwarf! I'll keep your whistles wet as long as you keep talking."

    With that Vrask sits down, beams a charming smile at all you, and wait expectantly for the best story he's heard all week.

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    The dwarf wasn't quite sure what to expect when Constance had warned them not to worry about Vrask's looks, but he sure as hell wasn't expecting this. He started, but remembered his teachings.

    "Vrask, a pleasure. I am Tordain, of the Silverpacts." It wasn't being a dragonborn that made him his enemy.

    "We are just seeking a moment's rest before continuing our travels, and Constance has been kind." The dragonborn were, at least once, on the front lines of civilization.

    "I'm not much of a storyteller," he ignores Ilesombra rolling her eyes, "but we have been in turn falsely accused and imprisoned, and then gained our freedom. We are looking at keeping that freedom." It was power that had corrupted those in charge, not a flaw particular to the individuals. If Vrask could be trusted, he could be useful. Plus, it would be nice to have someone else come with on errands into civilization.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Vrask grins a little at the obvious discomfort of the dwarf, as much as he tried to cover over it. It was to his credit that any prejudices against the dragonborn were set aside though. It was something that Vrask knew quite well lately.

    "False accusations? Imprisonment and subsequent freedom? On the run from the powers that be. All the hallmarks of a great story are there, it just needs some refinement." Vrask says, after listening to Tordain's tale. "So how does it end? What is next for a such a...unique...group as youselves."

  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    "There is something to be said about keeping some things secret, Vrask. Knowledge is power, and some would see to wield it as a weapon against those less...apt," Ilesombra answers. "As for our next move, we travel west, evading the nk'barra and seeking information."

    The paladin asks, "Does the name 'Enthrexa' mean anything to you, bard?"
    If necessary:Insight: 1d20+3 21

    steam_sig.png
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    The dwarf can't help but mumble into his drink, "Hard to keep some things secret with wanted posters plastering every surface..."

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    "The Emerald Empress?" Vrask says, surprised that this group had even heard the name. "No, not really. I have heard the name, a name out of the past, but such knowedge has passed into the flames sadly. Like many things. What is your interest in Enthrexa? I would be very interested in learning more..."

    Vrask can't quite put his finger on it, but something about this group is very alluring to the bard. He needed to find out what it was. An itch that he couldn't scratch. A story that needed to be told.

    Steelhawk on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    "A dream, I think, and little else." The dwarf looks up at the dragonborn, "And what of you? What's a highborn like yourself doing consorting with known and wanted criminals?"

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    "Curious. The vast majority of people have never heard the name Enthrexa before, and you lot have all dreamed of her?" Vrask leans back in his chair and calls for another round from Constance.

    "This, this is what I am doing consorting with known and wanted criminals Tordain, of the Silverpacts. Highborn I may be, but even the snootiest of us have petty rivalries and prejudices to be wary of. I am a seeker of truth and knowledge. In some circles, I have learned too much..." Vrask trails off slightly at the end, a brief hint of melancholy in his tone.

    "But!" he exclaims in a voice bright and strong again, "The best research is done in the field, yes? And if you lot are seeking out information on the Emerald Empress, then please, you must let me accompany you! I would consider it a career if I could tell her story, complete and free of lies."

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    Tordain shrugs, "I don't know."

    He turns to Ilesombra and the rest of the group, "What do you say, can we keep him?"

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ilesombra rolls her eyes and replies, "Normally, I'd have reservations about this, but since we are on the run and we need a healer, I'm willing to let it go just this once."

    She turns to Vrask, "Pull your weight, and keep your grandstanding to yourself, and we should get along just fine."

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    "It wouldn't be granstanding if I kept it to myself, now would it?" Vrask replies with a smirk as he stands.

    "But rest assured, I can only be of help on your journey and not a hindrance. Now if you'll excuse me, I shall go and pack my gear and say goodbye to a lovely lass that I met during my stay here."

    With that, Vrask settles the tables tab with Constance and exits the tavern to tie up his loose ends before rejoining the group.

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    Tordain stands and stretches, cracks his neck, and begins to gather his things. "Well, it was good to have a bit of ale and good food before getting back on the road. Our thanks again, Constance." He takes special care to pack the big bag of jerky safely.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    "Are you sure you don't want to bed down here for the night?" asked Constance, a little worried. "I hate to think of you out there on the road in the dark. I have some cots I can drag out and you can stay here tonight if you want."

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    Tordain looked at her, a little surprised. "Of course! You are not worried we put you in danger by being here?"

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    Constance wrinkled her brow. "I figure it's safer having you here than not. You guys look pretty tough."

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    "Well, I have no problems defending an inn with food and hearth like these, if only for a night." He looks at his gathered companions. "What do you all say?"

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Vrask returns later in the evening, fully decked out for the long road to adventure. "Ho friends! Sorry it took so long, but I am ready for the road! Oh, we're leaving in the morning? Makes sense."

    Seeing that his new companions are preparing to stay the night, Vrask shrugs gets another drink from Constance. Pulling a book from his pack with a worn leather cover and a pencil, Vrask settles himself by the fire and starts to pen an introduction to his latest adventure.

  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    If they were to have a proper rest, Ladej decided, he could take the opportunity to flip through that ritual book he had found. Magic was different here, and knowing a little more never hurt.

    I'm providing ambience.
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Ilesombra takes the opportunity to get some rest. She keeps her gear close, lest any prying eyes decide to go rifling through her bags.

    steam_sig.png
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    Mnemo simply finds a quiet corner of the inn to remain motionless in, and dims its internal glow so as not to disturb anyone else. Its expression is, as ever, somewhat inscrutable. Nevertheless, those of the party who have paid attention to its "moods" so far might consider that it appears thoughtful.

  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    The night passed slowly. Constance finished washing glasses and went upstairs to bed. Vrask eventually crawled into a cot and dragony snores filled the room. Memo never slept but his eyes dulled until the glow barely lit the room.

    Ilesombra was the first to wake as sunlight stole into the windows. She laid still, wondering that they had spent the night safely. Her items remained safely clutched in her bag in her arms. She thought of returning them to the high watcher, perhaps earning a higher position within the order.

    Ladej had fallen asleep with the ritual book on his face. As he woke, the gems began to pulse next to his skin. Once again, he felt the strong impulse to head west. It was time to go.

    Constance came downstairs and began to cook up a delicious breakfast. They ate quietly, then geared up. Tordain left a little gold on the table for Constance, who took it, smiled, and wished them well.

    "No nk'barra's going to know you were around her," she said, smiling. "Have a good trip."

    It amazed you all that you could escape detection in a small town, but the blacksmith merely waved at you as you marched out. You got outside the town and then started to head west along the river. Not more than an hour into your day, Mnemo's psychic powers alert him to the possibility of sentients nearby.

  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Ilesombra actually remains fairly quiet in her armor when she "hears" Mnemo's warning, but she can't make out any other figures.
    Stealth: 1d20-3 16
    Perception: 1d20+3 7

    steam_sig.png
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    Tordain jerked back into the present when Mnemo warned the party. He had been thinking back to that bed... an actual bed.
    Perception: 1d20+5 16

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Quickly heeding Mnemo's warning, Vrask quickly darts behind a shady tree. Peeking his snout around the trunk, he sees what he can see.

    Stealth = 19
    Perception = NATURAL 20!

    Great rolls for a character not suited to these sorts of things. Makes me look good as the new guy! :)

    Steelhawk on
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    Ladej takes a step for cover, but stops. What could he have to hide from?
    Stealth: 1d20+1 5
    Perception: 1d20+7 23

    I'm providing ambience.
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    Vrask and Ladej see a group of young dragonborn wearing armor moving towards them. They carry the badge of the King's Justice, and are obviously not nk'barra. What they are doing this far out of the capitol is beyond you- they hardly ever get wrapped up in nk'barra business.

  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    King's Justice. Some of Ladej's better clients had worn that badge. The capitol was far from here, but--Ladej glanced at their weapons. The worldly races were so similar to others of their own race, he had a poor memory for their faces. But he could always recognize his own work.

    But there was nothing more to do but wait, and see what they wanted.

    I'm providing ambience.
167891012»
Sign In or Register to comment.