Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E IC] Residuum Revolution Strange- Outlaws!

13468912

Posts

  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The human holding the camel swings up onto the beast's back and rides it up into Tordain and Ladej. The camel gives Tordain a good kick before fixing its beady eyes on Ladej. The other dwarf then runs up to Tordain. "Ye give dwarfs a bad name," spits, before bashing Tordain severely with his hammer. (Marked) He then hoists his throwing hammer, and pitches it forward into the earth instead of at Ilesombra like he meant to do.

    The little assassin then darts between the camel's legs and stabs Ladej, rolls and then stabs him again, making his fire fizzle and sputter (ongoing 5 damage).

    The human goon in front of Ilesombra, still shaken, flails pathetically at her. The other steps up to the King and manages to get a pretty good blow in. King looks a little green around the gills.

    The other humans run out of the house and ready for more action.

    Map:
    pub?id=14Ny5h9lLhQSYpeUCQFJsfcaTe7zDUqdqvTOOqqYAahg&w=1127&h=1142

    Stats:
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares away from two or more other human goons)
    HG3 is Divine Challenged by Ilesombra.
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9
    Dwarf Guard 1: HP 33/33, AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15
    Halfling Assassin: HP 30/37, AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 17, Will 15

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 22/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, Ongoing 5 damage, save ends
    Tordain: HP 9/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 13/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    Initiative:
    You
    Them

    daniant on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tordain fixes the dwarf with his gaze and levels a pronouncement, "When you chose to follow a false path, the stone forsook you. When you put yourself above the common man, the goddess forsook you. Do not plead with me, outcast, for I am merely the messenger!"

    He feels his oath take hold, and he follows with a swing of his hammer, still wet with the blood of the other dwarf.
    Minor: Oath of Vengeance on Dwarf Guard
    Standard: Pass at Arms vs AC (Dwarf Guard): 2#1d20+6 17 12 HIT! 4d6r1+6 22 Guard is BLOODIED
    Shift to P7, shift Dwarf Guard into my old space at O8
    Move: Shift to O7

    Tordain's oath draws the hammer home with a resounding CRACK. As the dwarf guard tries to suck air in past broken ribs, the avenger uses the forward momentum of his swing to move forward and push his opponent next to the genasi. He hefts the hammer easily and moves carefully to keep the injured guard in between himself and Ladej.
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares away from two or more other human goons)
    HG3 is Divine Challenged by Ilesombra.
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9
    Dwarf Guard 1: HP 12/33, AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15
    Halfling Assassin: HP 30/37, AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 17, Will 15

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 22/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, Ongoing 5 damage, save ends
    Tordain: HP 9/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 13/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ladej attempts to finish off the enemy dwarf, but the assassin's poison already begins to blur his vision.

    Halfling Assassin takes 10 fire damage from Firepulse.

    Take 5 ongoing damage.
    Minor: Hunter's Quarry on Dwarf Guard
    Minor: Off-Hand Strike vs AC: 1d20+6 9+2 Miss
    Standard: Twin Strike vs AC: 1d20+6 9+2 Miss
    1d20+7 23+2 1d8+0 3
    Hunter's Quarry: 1d6 1

    Saving Throw: 1d20 4 Fail

    Well. That turn didn't go well.


    Stats:
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares away from two or more other human goons)
    HG3 is Divine Challenged by Ilesombra.
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9
    Dwarf Guard 1: HP 8/33, AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15
    Halfling Assassin: HP 20/37, AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 17, Will 15

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 17/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, Ongoing 5 damage, save ends
    Tordain: HP 9/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 13/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The crystals making up Mnemo's body spin and reorient as it shifts its focus to the human goons nearer to it. It recognises that some of its new companions are being prevented from joining the fight by these living roadblocks, and apparently decides that this is not an acceptable situation.

    The construct's entire head fluoresces as it walks into a position in which is has easy view of both groups of enemies, then the prismatic light building up behind its eyes suddenly flashes brightly before vanishing. At the same time, the two goons Mnemo had sighted begin to convulse wildly. Their faces become locked in a mixture of pain and confusion as they fall to the ground, shaking and spasming until they finally still, unconscious or dead.

    Movement: Walk to T10.

    Standard: Augmenting Memory Hole up to an area burst, then using it in between the two goons blocking the way.
    Memory Hole (Augment 2) vs Human Goons:
    1d20+5 15 HIT
    1d20+5 19 HIT
    HGs 2 and 3 are down.

    Turanos on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sometimes the only way to dig one's companions asses out of the fire -- or in this case get the fire to be more of a fire and the hammer to shine itself up a little bit -- was to do something so completely reckless as to come all the way around to be inspiring.

    Thus did a wiry bald man propel himself across the field, and slam the dwarf next to Tordain firmly in the head with the butt of his crossbow. Unfortunately said dwarf (a race with a unmitigated penchant for wearing helmets) was wearing a helmet... but swayed a bit on his feet, as if ready to fall, inexplicably stricken hard by a possibly insane man who had no right hitting a dwarf hard enough to make his brain consider shutting off for a bit and hoping for the best.

    "FIRE! MORE FIRE!"

    Three simple words somehow had Ladej feeling a bit less pain. It was the oddest thing... the Genasi had thought somewhat similar words not a moment before.
    Load Hand Crossbow

    Move: one square south of the dwarf attackin' Tordain!

    Standard:
    Energizing Strike Augment 2 1d20+7 24 1d6+4 6 and Tordain can spend a healing surge.

    wait

    i would need to put away that that crossbow to make an attack with a shorsword DUH

    so instead

    unarmed is a d4 with no proficiency bonus and the augment two gives an extra die

    still hits but does

    durr: 2d4+4 7 to the almost deceased dorf

    the important part is TORDAIN MAY SPEND A HEALING SURGE SO AS NOT TO GET KILLED SO EASILY

    MINOR ACTION
    Ardent Surge for Ladej

    Ardent Surge extra hp: 1d6 2

    LADEJ MAY SPEND A HEALING SURGE AND GAIN AN ADDITIONAL 2 HIT POINTS (total 11) AND ALSO RECIEVES A +1 TO ATTACK ROLLS UNTIL THE END OF KING'S NEXT TURN


    Stats:
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares away from two or more other human goons)
    HG3 is Divine Challenged by Ilesombra.
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9
    Dwarf Guard 1: HP 1/33, AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15
    Halfling Assassin: HP 20/37, AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 17, Will 15

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 28/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, Ongoing 5 damage, save ends, +1 to attacks until the end of King's next turn
    Tordain: HP 16/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 13/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    With the goons out of her way, Ilesombra rushes in to stab the halfling that is harrying Ladej. She nearly trips over a chunk of loose earth, and her khopesh cuts nothing but the air around the halfling's head.

    "No matter, little man. We are still destined to battle this day, and your life will soon be forfeit," she taunts, tapping her blade impatiently against her sturdy shield.

    Actions:
    Move to 010.
    Standard: Valorous Smite vs Halfling Assassin: 1d20+6 10 2d8r1+4 11
    Minor: Divine Challenge Halfling Assassin

    Stats:
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9
    Dwarf Guard 1: HP 1/33, AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15
    Halfling Assassin: HP 20/37, AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 17, Will 15 (Divine Challenged by Ilesombra)

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 28/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, Ongoing 5 damage, save ends, +1 to attacks until the end of King's next turn
    Tordain: HP 16/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 13/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The dwarf guards shifts away and then tries to knock Ilesombra into the fire, but is unsuccessful. He then throws another hammer at Tordain, faster than anyone can react, and catches him in the jaw. "Holier than thou scum," he sneers (Tordain is marked). "Ye'll have ta get yer little friends to finish me off!"

    The rider spurs the camel to kick Tordain, but the camel has other plans.

    Then the halfling tries to jab Ilesombra, and fails miserably. He shifts back in dismay.

    One of the humans runs forward and hits Tordain over the head with his club. The other moves forward and begins to whale on the King.

    Stats:
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9
    Dwarf Guard 1: HP 1/33, AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15
    Halfling Assassin: HP 20/37, AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 17, Will 15 (Divine Challenged by Ilesombra)

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 28/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, Ongoing 5 damage, save ends, +1 to attacks until the end of King's next turn
    Tordain: HP 2/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 8/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    Map:
    pub?id=14Ny5h9lLhQSYpeUCQFJsfcaTe7zDUqdqvTOOqqYAahg&w=1127&h=1142

    Initiative:
    You
    Them

    daniant on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shrugging off the blows to the head (as much as he can with hits like that, anyway), Tordain carefully moves forward to engage the dwarf. Bolstered by the presence of his allies, Tordain swings once, a glancing blow across the dwarf's face. As he staggers back, Tordain raises his hammer again with regret in his eyes. "It didn't have to end this way for you, brother."

    And the hammer fell.
    Move: Shift to P8
    Standard: Leading Strike vs AC (Dwarf Guard): 2#1d20+6 16 25 HIT 2d6r1+6+2 18 Guard is DEAD -17
    Minor: Second Wind +7hp, +2 to all defenses until EoNT
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9
    Dwarf Guard 1: HP -17/33, AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15 *DEAD*
    Halfling Assassin: HP 20/37, AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 17, Will 15 (Divine Challenged by Ilesombra)

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 28/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, Ongoing 5 damage, save ends, +1 to attacks until the end of King's next turn
    Tordain: HP 11/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 8/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "I'll deal with you in a moment," Ladej says to the man on the camel, backing away carefully. Once he was sure of his distance, he turned and charged the idiot harassing the madman.

    Minor: Aegis of Assault on Goon 1
    Move: shift to P9
    Standard: Charge to R6
    Melee Basic Attack vs Goon 5's AC: 1d20+7+1+1 23 hit
    1d8+4 6 damage; goon 5 is dead

    Saving Throw: 1d20 16 Success


    Stats
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares
    Aegis on goon 1
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9
    Dwarf Guard 1: HP -17/33, AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15 *DEAD*
    Halfling Assassin: HP 20/37, AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 17, Will 15 (Divine Challenged by Ilesombra)

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 25/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, O+1 to attacks until the end of King's next turn
    Tordain: HP 11/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 8/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ilesombra strides forward, harrying the assassin's escape. "Ah ah ah...not so fast, my friend. No running away."

    With a flash of speed, she sinks her khopesh into the halfling's stomach to the hilt. "There's no valor in that," she whispers into the halfling's ear.

    With one fluid motion, she slides the wet blade out of the assassin's stomach and contemptuously flicks its blood on the ground. The halfling begins to look pale, and its arms look heavy, even as the paladin stands ready to face him once more.

    Actions:
    Move: Shift to N9.

    Standard: Enfeebling Strike vs Halfling Assassin (16): 1d20+6 26 Critical!

    12 Damage to the Halfling Assassin, and since he's marked by Divine Challenge, he takes -2 to attack rolls until the EOMNT (So, -4 to attacks against my allies and -2 to attacks vs. me).
    Stats:
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9
    Dwarf Guard 1: HP -17/33, AC 17, Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15 *DEAD*
    Halfling Assassin: HP 8/37, AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 17, Will 15 (Divine Challenged and Enfeebling Strike by Ilesombra)

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 28/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, +1 to attacks until the end of King's next turn
    Tordain: HP 11/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 8/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    Up next: Mnemo and King
    On Deck: Bad Guys!

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Perhaps mollified by the distraction of the enemies from their burning of books, and now their seemingly imminent defeat, the ruby colouration begins to drain from Mnemo. It surveys the battlefield critically, and noticing a dangerous foe on the brink of collapse, the construct resolves to clear the way for its allies once more.

    Mnemo's eyes crackle with power again as it strides forward, staring balefully at the halfling assassin. Upon stopping, its entire form fluoresces briefly for a moment before dimming. Meanwhile, the halfling cries out, clutching his temples as he is finally overwhelmed by the combination of his wounds and the psychic pain within his own mind. The assassin falls, insensate, to the ground.
    Movement: Move to R10.

    Standard: Mind Thrust vs Halfling Assassin:
    1d20+5 21 HIT
    1d10+7 16
    Halfling Assassin is dead.

    Turanos on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The King staggered for a moment, unsure exactly how the enemy before him had come down with a quick case of being deceased... until Ladej comes firmly into focus.

    "HA! Well done... now then, for --"

    He froze for a moment in horror as his dilated eyes tried to process the beast that stood only a short distance away. Nightmarish body, misshapen head, immensely hairy, a belly that made its powerful limbs look small in comparison, it--

    Hang on... that's just Tordain.

    "Steady on, Tordain! That camel's got nothing on you!"

    Though the dwarf may not have been able to perceive the small particles of Reality keeping the narrative around his precarious position, it nonetheless kept him firmly in place.

    Somewhere in the far distance, a crossbow bolt landed in a nice shady spot. The sort of place it would like more than an enemy's ribcage. A good spot to retire, and show the trees what happens when you leave the forest and see the world.

    standard: Jinx Shot vs AC: 1d20+6 13 1d6+4 8 nooope

    minor: majestic word for Tordain = 7+4 hit points recovered for ze dwarf are Eleven (11).

    Stats:
    Human Goons: Minion, AC 15, Fortitude 13, Reflex 11, Will 11 (+2 to defenses when 5 squares
    Camel: HP 38/38, AC 13; Fortitude 13, Reflex 10, Will 9

    Mnemo: HP 22/22, AC 15, Fort 10, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 psychic
    Ilesombra: HP 29/29, AC 20, Fort 14, Reflex 15, Will 16
    Ladej: HP 28/36, AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 15, Will 15, Resist 5 fire, +1 to attacks until the end of King's next turn
    Tordain: HP 22/29, AC 15, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 15 marked by Dwarf Guard
    King: HP 16/26, AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 15

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At the sight of all their comrades bleeding on the ground, the last human standing jumps onto the camel's back with his friend and spurs the beast, which jumps into action, running around the fire and out into the open fields beyond...

    Initiative:
    You
    Them

    daniant on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The King wildly fires another shot at the fleeing man-camel (or so it appeared) and like the other, it sails far from its mark. So far, in fact, it hit the ground a few feet in front of him.
    Jinx Shot vs AC: 1d20+6 8 1d6+4 5 cripes

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The thugs easily out of range, Tordain puts away his hammer and surveys the field, looking for anything familiar.

    Not seeing much out of the ordinary except the fire, he begins to assist the others in rescuing what can be rescued. "So this is your stash, Ladej?"

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ilesombra begins heaping anything that looks worthwile out of the fire. She keeps an eye out for any other nk'bara, but if they are around, they appear to be well-hidden.
    Perception: 1d20+2 6

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ladej ignores the dwarf and concentrates on saving what he can from the fire.
    At the same time, he muses. The gods had layered permanence on the world so thick that he could taste it, but he had been born in fire. It had been his first tool, his first medium. He had slept in fire made solid and soft, bathed in it, built from it. Worldly fire was different, but was it similar enough for him to quell with will alone?

    Arcana: 1d20+9 20

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The King sighed and turned toward the bookpile. The rest of them were about their mudane ways of doing things but the Breath on the other hand...

    ...a dragon's breath is magic. Has to be. The whole dragon is magic, even from its first steps and squeals. Its very existence hinged upon the sort of defying of earthly rules that magicians must train whole lifetime to accomplish, and that mathematicians will train a whole lifetime hoping to disprove.

    Even in breathing. The simple act of respiration itself from such a creature was incredibly Impossible. Not the fire part, the act of being able to inhale and supply oxygen to a body that by all rights shouldn't even be able to support itself, much less fly. And fire breath? Well that was the sort of Possibility that was scoffed at by Impossibility Itself.

    "Careful, Ladej... most books these days are Magic, and if the Unbeara-- Inkburia-- Unka -- if Those People are burning them, they're definitely Magic."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Outside, there's not much to see. The bonfire does seem to be full of arcane books. Ladej manages to snag one out of the fire and senses immediately that it radiates arcane power. It seems to be a ritual book upon closer inspection...

    Book with Rituals:
    Knock

    A blue, glowing key appears in front of the door and disappears into it. The door glows amber for a moment and then unlocks.

    Component Cost: 35 gp, plus 1 healing surge
    Market Price: 175 gp
    Key Skill: ArcanaLevel: 4
    Category: Exploration
    Time: 10 minutes
    Duration: Instantaneous

    The Knock ritual allows you to open a single locked door, chest, gate, or other object. It even works against portals sealed with the Arcane Lock ritual or doors secured with bolts or bars that are on the far side, out of reach. You must defeat all the closures on a locked object to unlock it. You make one Arcana check per lock, bar, Arcane Lock, or similar closure. The object you unlock does not open automatically; you still must open it yourself after the ritual unlocks it.
    Make an Arcana check with a +5 bonus in place of a Thievery check to open each lock or closure. (See the Thievery skill description, page 189, for example DCs.) To undo bolts or bars you normally couldn’t reach, you must succeed on a DC 20 Arcana check.
    If you use this ritual successfully against a portal protected by Arcane Lock, you destroy the Arcane Lock and its effects end.
    Transfer Enchantment

    With great care and concentration, you carefully strip magical power from one object to imbue it in another.

    Component Cost: 25 gp
    Market Price: 175 gp
    Key Skill: Arcana (no check)Level: 4
    Category: Creation
    Time: 1 hour
    Duration: Permanent

    You transfer the magical qualities (properties, powers, and enhancement bonus) of an enchanted item into another object. You must maintain physical contact with both items for the duration of the ritual. The receiving item must occupy the same magic item slot (head, waist, armor, and so on) and be the same type (wand, rod, weapon, and so on) as the original item. The enchantment to be moved must be valid for the receiving item, so that you cannot transfer ranged weapon properties to melee weapons, cloth-only armor properties to chainmail, and so on.
    You can transfer an enchantment to an item that already contains a lower-level enchantment, but the receiving item’s previous magic is lost. For example, the enhancement bonus and power of a suit of +1 barkskin hide (5th level) could be placed into a suit of +1 curseforged scale (3rd level), but the scale armor’s existing power is lost in doing so. You cannot transfer an enchantment to an item that already has a higher-level enchantment.
    Hand of Fate

    A ghostly apparition appears to give you basic guidance about a course of action.

    Component Cost: 70 gp
    Market Price: 175 gp
    Key Skill: Religion (no check)Level: 4
    Category: Divination
    Time: 10 minutes
    Duration: 10 minutes

    When you perform the ritual, ask up to three questions about possible courses of action. A translucent blue hand appears and indicates with a gesture what the most rewarding course of action is.
    If you describe courses of action that refer to directions or specific objects, then the hand points toward the choice that bears the greatest reward. If you ask the hand, “Should we head down the stairs or through the doors?” then the hand responds by pointing either to the stairs or the doors. If you ask the hand, “Which of these three levers should we pull first?” then the hand responds by pointing to a lever.
    If you describe only a single course of action, the ritual assumes that inaction is your other option. The hand either beckons you (to indicate that you should proceed) or gestures for you to halt. For example, the question “Should we explore the ruins of Solitronia?” results in the hand either beckoning you or gesturing for you to halt.
    The hand can’t assess events in the far future; its judgment extends only to likely events in the next hour. If the hand can’t indicate a preference, the ritual has no effect and expends no components.
    There are two drawbacks to using the ritual to aid your decisions. First, fate values rewards over risk, and this ritual provides guidance accordingly. It points you toward a high risk, high reward option before pointing you toward a low risk, low reward alternative. For example, if one tunnel leads to a dragon and great wealth and the other tunnel leads back to town, then the hand points toward the dragon. However, a high risk, low reward alternative is considered less rewarding than a low risk, low reward option.
    Second, the hand can choose only the most rewarding course of action relative to the alternatives provided. That doesn’t mean that the indicated choice is necessarily a good idea, only that it’s a better idea than the other options you’ve indicated. In the example above, if all three levers activate traps, then the hand points toward the lever that triggers a trap less lethal than the others.
    Wizard's Curtain

    Some activities call for privacy.

    Component Cost: 30 gp
    Market Price: 75 gp
    Key Skill: Arcana (no check)Level: 1
    Category: Warding
    Time: 10 minutes
    Duration: 24 hours

    You draw a curtain or several curtains from nowhere to ensure your visual privacy. The curtain is nearly opaque and appears in any pattern or colors your desire. The ritual obscures all sight lines into a single room (or a burst 4 area), applying a –10 penalty to Perception checks to see anything inside the warded area
    Endure Elements

    Neither the biting cold nor the searing heat troubles you anymore. You travel in arctic or desert wastes as comfortably as in temperate climes.

    Component Cost: 20 gp
    Market Price: 100 gp
    Key Skill: Arcana or Nature (no check)Level: 2
    Category: Exploration
    Time: 10 minutes
    Duration: 24 hours

    The Endure Elements ritual lets you designate up to five ritual participants, including yourself, who ignore penalties associated with extremes of nonmagical weather.
    An affected creature suffers no ill effects from ambient temperatures between –50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, and the creature’s equipment is likewise protected from the ravages of these temperatures and of precipitation.
    Woundpatch

    Component Cost: See below
    Market Price: 120 gp
    Key Skill: Heal or Nature (no check)Level: 3
    Category: Curative
    Time: 1 hour

    The woundpatch looks like a swatch of human skin. One sticky side keeps it in place when applied to an injured creature.

    The rest of the team search the bodies, but there's not much to see. Typical primal work, a few miscellaneous totems, and some salves.

    Inside the house, there are undoubtedly more treasures, as the nk'barra were still carrying piles of things out to be burned when you arrived...

    daniant on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Now that the books and material in immediate danger have been doused as best as possible, Tordain begins arranging the bodies of their dead foes outside the house and saying a few words over each.

    "Though we were enemies on the field of battle, your souls go on while ours remain. I believe in the equality of man; and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow creatures happy. May you go on to your rewards unfettered by the sins of the living."

    Once his little service is done, he goes to help the rest of the group with exploring the area.

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No one wants to make a perception check inside the little house, huh?

    daniant on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can, I'm not very good at it.

    Perception: 1d20+2 10


    Ilesombra, satisfied with the materials outside that have been rescued, enters the house to see what it holds.

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After his impromptu service, Tordain joined in the search of the hut.

    Perception (Cottage): 1d20+4 20

    His trained dwarven eyes couldn't help but notice a few things sparkling in the cottage...

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Actually, everyone who is walking into the cottage should roll perception or arcana or both.

    Perception 15
    There are some healing supplies and unctions piled on the table in front of the door.

    Perception 20
    There is a promising-looking chest in the corner of the room.

    Arcana 15
    The two crossed weapons on the wall are enchanted.

    Arcana 20
    All of the books on the shelves contain arcane information, but one glows with arcane energy.

    daniant on
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arcana: 1d20+9 19
    Huh. An aid another would be helpful.


    Ladej scans the hut for the most obvious prizes, and notices the crossed weapons on the wall immediately. He steps closer to examine them more closely.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tordain makes out the healing supplies and takes note of them, but his attention is drawn to a large chest in the back of the cottage. He approaches it, then thinks twice. "Ladej, you said you knew of this cache. Think any of it might be trapped?"

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The construct, apparently calm once more since the defeat of the book-burners, wanders into the cottage without another "word" to its companions. It notices the healing supplies for the organic creatures it accompanies, but its gaze is almost immediately drawn to one of the tomes resting upon a nearby shelf. Mnemo quickly crosses the room, reaching out and lifting the book almost reverently from its perch. It pauses for the space of three breaths - could it be excited, frightened? - before opening the book to discover its secrets.

    Arcana: 1d20+14 32 - it really hurts me that this isn't a damage roll!
    Perception: 1d20+7 18

    Turanos on
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mnemo flips through a few pages of ritual text and then, on the third page, a symbol jumps out at him. Those in the cottage see purple light swirl around the book, as a magical symbol leaps from the pages and sears the construct on its head. As it looks up wildly, you all see this tattooed on its forehead, between his eyes.

    Ioun.png

    Mnemo:
    You have received:
    Ioun's Revelation
    Level 3 Uncommon

    Ioun rewards study and the relentless pursuit of knowledge. Supporters who earn her favor gain the ability to master any task, no matter how daunting.

    Divine Boon
    Property: Gain a +2 item bonus to skill checks.

    Power (Daily): Minor Action. Until the end of the encounter, you and your allies gain a +1 bonus to skill checks with a single skill of your choice.

    daniant on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tordain had his trusty crowbar out, just about ready to pry this chest open when he heard a commotion over by the books and jumped back from the chest like he had been bitten.

    "What in the nine hells...! Are you okay?"

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The King takes a sudden interest in the ruckus. Something to be said for ruckuses; one couldn't help but notice them. In fact it was so jarring as to make one lose track of what accent they were happening to channel at any given time.

    "Okay? E's a sapient stone wi' a sigil-'wakened third eye, man! Okay? Tha's feckin brilliant, man! 'Okay' my arse. At's feckin Magic an all that, innit? The best. Brilliant."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mnemo rocks as the sigil burns its way into its mind, then its eyes dim and spark repeatedly in something akin to a rapid blinking for an organic creature. Several of the crystalline structures making up its body shift slightly, and after a few moments it appears to notice the reactions of its companions. I AM WELL- a "voice" or at least a sensation of words and meaning appear in the King's mind, accompanied by the sense of healthiness and lack of disease, TELL OTHERS PLEASE- brief mental images flicker of the rest of the party, SORRY FOR PAIN- a sense of contriteness and understanding of the headache that now begins to build in the King's skull again. Mercifully, the discomfort seems to be at least a few degrees less severe than it had been the first time Mnemo "spoke".

    Turanos on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "You see?" King said with an air of vindication, gesturing toward Mnemo (with the other hand firmly upon his bald scalp)

    Eventually someone replied: "See what?"

    "He's fine! Healthy as a rock can be. You people have no ear for thoughts. That's worst kind of deaf, that is."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Well, I suppose he looks alright..." Tordain takes a moment to study the new symbol on the rock's forehead, the chest momentarily forgotten. He just can't seem to put his finger on where he might have seen that before...
    Religion: 1d20+7 9

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "You may never have. To see a physical manifestation of the third eye is very rare, to say the least. It sees the unseen... which is why it usually isn't visible in the first place."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Right. Anyone want to open this chest?" Tordain gestures at the valuable looking container, not sure if he wants to risk getting hit with a third eye.

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ilesombra peers at the construct's newly acquired symbol. Her blood starts to boil as she realizes just who that icon belongs to.
    Religion: 1d20+6 19

    Or maybe she does?

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • daniantdaniant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ilesombra:
    You totally know what that symbol means.

    There are also some interesting books alongside Mnemo you might want to take a look at.

    To check out the chest and look for traps, it's a Perception check.

    daniant on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ilesombra, trying her best to bite her tongue at the presence on Ioun's symbol, begins looking at a stack of books near the construct.

    Do you need any rolls from me on this?

    dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "My dear Iron Maiden... if I didn't know any better, I'd say you were trying to bite off your tongue. Is something troubling you?"

    The King asked with a tone that could have been described as rhetorical. The answer was clear as the red steadily building in the paladin's face.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ignoring the King's questioning of the paladin, Tordain goes back to searching over the chest for any obvious flaws in the craftmanship which would have been made to make room for a trap of sorts.

    Perception: 1d20+4 16

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
13468912
Sign In or Register to comment.