As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trails in the Sky -- Legend of the Heroes VI

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    XSeed has released a flowchart for helping you to decide if you want this game. :)
    CcoKu.jpg

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, that's a no for me for now! D:

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Still had an Amazon gift card lying around, so this game cost me a cool $3.99. Looking forward to it at some point.

Artereis on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got in at like #2 for this on Goozex last night. Hoepfully someone will actually want to trade it by the time I finish Xenogears. the PSP is much better than I anticipated for the very specific reason that it's basically a mobile PlayStation, and that's the exact era of my nostalgia.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god help me, I've bought this twice. Waiting on my retarded slow internet here to download the PSN version while I wait a week+ for my limited edition physical version to arrive. :(

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WHY VAGRANT

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Played the PSN version for a couple hours last night. The translation is fantastic and has a lot of neat little touches (like having various funny messages when you examine chests after opening them). Load times are pretty much nil. All in all, a great adaptation of an already great game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god help me, I've bought this twice. Waiting on my retarded slow internet here to download the PSN version while I wait a week+ for my limited edition physical version to arrive. :(

I'm waiting for mine too. They told me that it would be here yesterday and now they're saying it should come today, but I'm not holding my breath or anything.

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What are the chances the other five (FIVE!) games in this series get localized given the state of the PSP? I'm debating spending real $ on this just to rack up +1 on what's going to be a small sales pile already.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm just going to sit here making a sad panda face while I wait for the disc to arrive. Damn you, XSEED, why must you exploit my limited-edition-whore nature? :(

ystael on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    What are the chances the other five (FIVE!) games in this series get localized given the state of the PSP? I'm debating spending real $ on this just to rack up +1 on what's going to be a small sales pile already.

It's "only" four more, actually. :V With the most recent one still in development and slated for a late September release in Japan.

XSEED has essentially committed to bringing over the companion game to the one we're getting if Trails is even remotely successful. The rest, well, they're dependent on the series continuing to make money on this side of the pond, really. But it's looking fairly likely that Second Chapter will come over, so don't sweat too hard and take the plunge.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh I'll be getting the game - I'm just debating if I need to give them cash moneys to help get the future games sent over or if I can take advantage of my #2 slot on Goozex to burn some of my points there given how few sales this is destined to get.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The dialog in this game is fucking fantastic. Every line is filled with tons of character and laugh out loud humor is everywhere. I want to hug the translators and editor.

Oh god the banter.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Goddammit.

I've already bought 3 PSP games in the last month or two, but now I'm going to grab this too.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, after April's FFIV Complete & Patapon III, the US PSP releases are pretty much non-existent so at least it's good that we're getting a flood of good games now.

Just this month, I've gotten Trails in the Sky, Tactics Ogre, Dissidia 2, and The 3rd Birthday. I'm set for quite some time.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't forget Persona 2. No way would Atlus leave that in Japan.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I did forget Persona 2, although the fact that Atlus has waited so long to announce it makes me think that maybe they've decided that the PSP market in the US has shrunk to the point where it's no longer worth it.

To be honest, I'm not particularly excited about Persona 2 PSP. Compared to something like Tactics Ogre PSP, the Persona 1 remake was pretty weak. And though I know there are a few people on the forums here who swear by Persona 2, I don't think the gameplay holds up very well these days (plot is still good though).

I'm really hoping that Trails in the Sky sells well enough to justify bringing the rest over, but I'm not too optimistic. The PSP market has already shrunk a good deal and with the 3DS just having come out and the NGP on the horizon, it's only going to get smaller. Releasing at the same time as a bunch of higher profile Square-Enix titles can't have helped either (although waiting wouldn't have been any better).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Releasing it at the same time as Third Birthday was a wonderful idea, because most people have already decided not to get 3rd Birthday for how it once again sets back women's rights, how it portrays Aya, and because the ending is supposed to be just fucking stupid as shit (I don't know the ending, but I'll believe the internet on it). So by releasing this the same day as that it's like they're getting all the cash that might have gone toward that because people wanted a good game!

Now releasing it near Duodecim was probably not the best idea. However this is the same company that released Ys 1+2 on the same day as MvC3. They're not exactly geniuses at scheduling.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did forget Persona 2, although the fact that Atlus has waited so long to announce it makes me think that maybe they've decided that the PSP market in the US has shrunk to the point where it's no longer worth it.

I think the opposite's happening: the devs know the PSP's clock is ticking, so they're bringing out everything they can. The games are selling pretty well, too, if the success of the Ys games are any indication.

And P2's gameplay has held up worlds better than P1's.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    P2's gameplay has held up better than P1, true, but that doesn't mean it's very good. Unless they've made major revamps to the game, it's still going to be pretty clunky.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm going to write a full review of the game in a couple weeks after I've had the chance to really dig into it, but I wrote a little mini-review of the game today to help spread the word:
    http://zeboyd.com/2011/03/30/if-you-love-me-buy-trails-in-the-sky/

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Of course, the way Gamestop is handling the release is like pouring goddamn rat poison into a baby bottle. Now they're straight-up lying and telling people it'll release on the 1st of April and won't arrive until the 2nd, when it's up on pirate networks (and the PSN) already. What a complete fucking disaster. I dread what this could do to the sales figures.

And people get confused when I tell them that Carpe Fulgur has no plans at all for physical releases.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    Of course, the way Gamestop is handling the release is like pouring goddamn rat poison into a baby bottle. Now they're straight-up lying and telling people it'll release on the 1st of April and won't arrive until the 2nd, when it's up on pirate networks (and the PSN) already. What a complete fucking disaster. I dread what this could do to the sales figures.

And people get confused when I tell them that Carpe Fulgur has no plans at all for physical releases.

Gamestop isn't lying though. I imagine that many stores had zero pre-orders for this title, and so the company opted to just send a copy or two in their weekly shipment, rather than through Fed-Ex or whoever they use for normal Tuesday-ish releases. We had that happen several times when I worked at GS and while it may be technically incorrect that it "isn't out", for an employee who knows nothing about the game (read: most of them), it's going to just look like that's when they're getting it in, therefore, release date.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That's why there's Amazon and PSN. :(

This may be the very first RPG I've ever played where I have an impulse to talk to every npc after an event. they keep saying new stuff. And some of the npcs are <3 (Claire, I'm looking at you).

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, I've seen some complaints that a lot of the characters sound the same (and I'll admit that a few characters like Schera fall a bit flat) but then Estelle opens her mouth and literally makes the entire world better.

Lovin' this game just as much as I thought I would. (Yes I ended up getting it on PSN.) Gotta admit that I think I'm ruined for RPGs forever though, since I keep thinking about how I'd do the lines when I read them. :V

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Then stop doing that. :(

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Note To Self/Everyone: Save Before Opening Treasure Chests
    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah Monsters-In-A-Box. It's like FF4 Hard Mode all over again (in a good way).
    I've gotten my ass kicked more than once because of this. :(

Treasure! Yaaaaaa.... OH FUCK ME!
    (Total Party Kill)

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That particular treasure chest is nasty. Save it for later.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    God I hate gamestop. My store had at least one preorder for it (mine), and when I placed it I was told it would be out on time (read: Tuesday) on Tuesday they told me it would be there Wednesday and on Wednesday they told me it would be out on the 2nd. I am not too happy with them.

LD50 on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Run away when you get a rape in a box.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty sure there's some kind of shipment issue, because my gamestop also hasn't gotten it in yet. From the sounds of it no gamestop anywhere has gotten the game yet, and call me a skeptic but I don't think I could just walk into wal-mart or best buy and buy this off the shelves. This is the first time I can think of that an XSeed game has been this late before.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Whoa whoa, hold on here. Not only does this game have me doing guild quests, but they rank me up afterwards? So I have to become the top rank of quest doer? They knew exactly what drives me to do quests. I must attain the highest rank.

Gilder on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i'm in hawaii and they told me it'd come out on the 1st so I preordered on tuesday and it came out today on the 1st.

so i have this game. i might open it someday. mainly just bought it to support localization of cat dictionaries

also my store got 3 copies

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I finished the prologue chapter and the start of chapter 1 before going on an anime binge. The dialog before the final fight in the prologue is just great. The characters are really endearing and show depth.

/whip sounds

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's here!

It's in my HANDS.

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Trails in the Sky: Our Spoony Bards hit on the females and males in the party. And are totally serious.

The consensus is that Estelle doesn't have an element on her Orb-board because her element is secretly "Violence", right?

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Anyone want the secret password for the website? It unlocks extra (good) wallpapers and some ringtones.
    If looking for it yourself, it's in a chest in the game somewhere. :P

For those that just want the goods:
    ChairmanMeow

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    do I miss out on any content if I don't do optional bracer quests? I'm still in the prologue I think and the story isn't quite grabbing me yet, nor are 2 member battles. Are things going to pick up soon?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Probably? I thought Chapter 1 was much more interesting than the prologue, but I'd still do all the quests for cash and the BP.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There's also hidden quests starting with Chapter 1.
    And BP gives rewards.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hidden how? Like talk to random NPC and get a quest, or do random conversations put up new quests on the board that you have to go back and accept? I'm still in the prologue so I want to be prepared.

Also I totally kicked the shit out of a shiny ghost thing on the way to the farm. And by that I mean I only won because both my characters had 100 CP to do their specials. The other two ran away.

Gilder on