As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is why I hate people - US Fails at teachning TIME CUBE

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Franko wrote: »
    maybe it is jsut me, but I've never seen a tomato wear Levis before
    a hurr hurr hurr

No, they usually wear Wranglers.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Who the shitting fuck disagrees that the Earth goes around the sun once per year

What kind of fucking retard thinks that statement is wrong

Good God, even if the sample population was silly, that is still rediculous

It doesn't.

It goes around the sun once per year and .2425 days.

If we're going to be pedants, a year is quite literally "the time it takes the earth to go around the sun".

But since that definition doesn't work well with calendars, and because a year isn't exactly a consistently fixed unit of time, we normally just fudge it (365.25 for a unit of time, 365+leap days for calendars).

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    End wrote: »
    Who the shitting fuck disagrees that the Earth goes around the sun once per year

It doesn't.

If we're going to be pendants, a year is quite literally "the time it takes the earth to go around the sun".

But since that definition doesn't work well with calendars, and because a year isn't exactly a consistently fixed unit of time, we normally just fudge it (365.25 for a unit of time, 365+leap days for calendars).

Thank you for saving me from having to type that.

jackal on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    Besides the "antibotics" thing, that chart in the bottom left should really be a line chart instead of a bar chart, since the x-axis is a continual (i.e. time) rather than categorical variable. And the values on the x-axis should be spaced out to allow for the differing intervals of time between each measurement, otherwise it's not an accurate representation of the trend.

This article on scientific literacy is itself failing at scientific literacy pretty hard.

No, that's more of a graphical representation of data thing.

It could be a graph about ass fucking vs does it count at camp, and it would still be a bad way to display the information. That doesn't really reflect on the data itself.

I don't know, I think being able to communicate scientific information clearly and honestly falls under "scientific literacy". Mind you, that's probably a more stringent definition than the surveyors are applying to their sample group.

Butler on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    let's not all be pendants now

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jackal wrote: »

It doesn't.

If we're going to be pendants, a year is quite literally "the time it takes the earth to go around the sun".

Thank you for saving me from having to type that.

Orbits are a heck of a thing.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It doesn't.

I want to argue that by allowing the "fudged" answer to be the only correct one we're poisoning the survey pool, but the truth is even in a perfect survey we're still far too scientifically illiterate.

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vivixenne wrote: »

tee hee

Tam on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »

tee hee

I'd hate to be a pendant

all nestled in some stranger's bosoms

shudder

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i rather like being nestled in bosoms

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yeah I was gonna say

Tam on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    moocow wrote: »
    i rather like being nestled in bosoms

there are certainly worse places to be nestled

Solar on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

oops

:oops:

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was unable to track down the 2008 results, but I do believe I've found the 2006 paper:

Civic Scientific Literacy in Europe and the United States

They have a list of the questions and how they were phrased in the survey. Most of them seem to be simple "do you agree or disagree with this statement" questions, which probably led to a bit of frustration and confusion for some respondents. The one about the earth taking one year to go around the sun springs to mind... well no, it takes a little over a year and there are only two options, so "disagree!"

They also mention that they had some difficulty formulating a test that respondents wanted to sit through:
    It is also clear that
    respondents have a limited patience in terms of the number of open-ended science knowledge
    questions that they will attempt to answer before ending the interview or quitting the questionnaire.

I wish they went into more detail about how the test was administered, and who was responding to it. It seems like there may have been some respondents that simply got fed up with the test and finished it as quickly as possible.

It's also interesting to note that of the nations surveyed, the US ranked the second highest in scientific literacy, beaten only by Sweden!

Long story short: I hate when newspaper or magazine articles attempt to distill complex information down to headlines, and I really hate that in this day and age an online article does not link back to the original study that the article is about! This study not a good reason to "hate people", and although the numbers could be better, the US is actually doing a pretty good job when it comes to science literacy (comparatively speaking).

Although, more focus on science education is always a good thing.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »

tee hee

I'd hate to be a pendant

all nestled in some stranger's bosoms

shudder

Personally I would love to be a flag flown during sporting events.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    speaking of science illiteracy, one of my family members looked at the sodium content on some chips and said "well 1020mg isn't a lot of salt"

it wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have a BS in clinical science

Tam on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I mean. It's only a gram of salt. That's not really a lot. I mean are we comparing volume recognition or what is a high volume for human consumption?

I'd tell him his BS stands for bullshit, though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    bosom nestling is not something that is for me

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In even more shocking news, 89% of internet posters believe any statistic if it's presented with a sufficient amount of outrage.

After a bit of confusion caused by the fact that they're sourcing Jon Miller of Michigan State University, not University of Michigan(the latter is an astrophysicist), I found their original source, that being another magazine

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/56517/title/Science_%2B_the_Public__Science_literacy_U.S._college_courses_really_count

Didge already pointed out that the U.S. is above average in scientific literacy, but while I can't find any specific survey, they're talking about shit like the relative size of subatomic particles, the ideas behind evolution, stem cell research, and so on. I've found no place so far where the magazine in the OP got their "survey results".

Mars on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Let's do a survey to figure out what percentage of Americans believe that fire is a living thing.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Well, I mean. It's only a gram of salt. That's not really a lot. I mean are we comparing volume recognition or what is a high volume for human consumption?

we were talking about consumption and I told him he shouldn't eat an entire bag in one day
    also his failure to understand that sodium does not necessarily mean the same thing as salt
    if the sodium came from sodium chloride, that means ~2.55 grams of salt

Tam on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »

A lot of salt was what his wife turned into when she looked back

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Margarazzi wrote: »
    Let's do a survey to figure out what percentage of Americans believe that fire is a living thing.

I had someone ask me the chemical symbol for fire once.

That's a direct quote.

Hunter on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

That's a direct quote.

Back to the fire mines plebe!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I was unable to track down the 2008 results, but I do believe I've found the 2006 paper:

They have a list of the questions and how they were phrased in the survey. Most of them seem to be simple "do you agree or disagree with this statement" questions, which probably led to a bit of frustration and confusion for some respondents. The one about the earth taking one year to go around the sun springs to mind... well no, it takes a little over a year and there are only two options, so "disagree!"

They also mention that they had some difficulty formulating a test that respondents wanted to sit through:
    It is also clear that
    respondents have a limited patience in terms of the number of open-ended science knowledge
    questions that they will attempt to answer before ending the interview or quitting the questionnaire.

I wish they went into more detail about how the test was administered, and who was responding to it. It seems like there may have been some respondents that simply got fed up with the test and finished it as quickly as possible.

It's also interesting to note that of the nations surveyed, the US ranked the second highest in scientific literacy, beaten only by Sweden!

Long story short: I hate when newspaper or magazine articles attempt to distill complex information down to headlines, and I really hate that in this day and age an online article does not link back to the original study that the article is about! This study not a good reason to "hate people", and although the numbers could be better, the US is actually doing a pretty good job when it comes to science literacy (comparatively speaking).

Mars wrote: »
    In even more shocking news, 89% of internet posters believe any statistic if it's presented with a sufficient amount of outrage.

After a bit of confusion caused by the fact that they're sourcing Jon Miller of Michigan State University, not University of Michigan(the latter is an astrophysicist), I found their original source, that being another magazine

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/56517/title/Science_%2B_the_Public__Science_literacy_U.S._college_courses_really_count

Didge already pointed out that the U.S. is above average in scientific literacy, but while I can't find any specific survey, they're talking about shit like the relative size of subatomic particles, the ideas behind evolution, stem cell research, and so on. I've found no place so far where the magazine in the OP got their "survey results".

Quoting myself and Didge for BotP

Mars on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

That's a direct quote.

Back to the fire mines plebe!

I always liked the idea of acid mines

Such a extravagantly horrible concept

Solar on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It is also clear that

What if I didn't care the first time either though

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Then posting it all again is definitely the way to go

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    are you happy now ed

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Never.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm glad you guys are posting that

and I think it's pretty funny that people get all up in a huff about Americans not being scientifically literate without even examining what they're being told

huh, I wonder how those stupid, dumb, idiotic Americans could possibly have come under the influence of misinformation

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It is also clear that

Still ignoring them so I can feign outrage and make myself feel good for knowing all the science 8-)

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm just saying it's not a bad idea to talk about science literacy regardless of the horseshit nature of newspaper polls

It should be pretty obvious that there are a ton of people in the first world who still for whatever reason just do not give a shit about science

and we should hate them

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There was one similar British survey where people were asked who Winston Churchill was and some said he was an insurance salesman and various other historical weirdness

Such studies often seem to have really loaded questions and I have no idea what benefit the researchers get out of them

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I also don't disagree that astrology isn't not entirely unscientifically based

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GeoMitch wrote: »
    i think a lot of population problems would be solved if more people were just gay
    i imagine if everybody wasn't so caught up on it, a considerable chunk would be gay

Yes, more people should choose to be gay, because that is how it works.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    There was one similar British survey where people were asked who Winston Churchill was and some said he was an insurance salesman and various other historical weirdness

Such studies often seem to have really loaded questions and I have no idea what benefit the researchers get out of them

yeah

I mean, the people who conduct these studies obviously don't go into them saying "hey, we should prove to the world how many people know what a year is"

the agenda is pretty apparent

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like science, even though I do not understand a vast majority of it.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It is also clear that

What if I didn't care the first time either though

God dammit. I saw that those posts were at the bottom of the page so I specifically did not read them. Why would he post them again?! I don't want to read no bottom of the page posts

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »

Isn't there a dog that looks like Winston Churchill who sells insurance?

This might have skewed the data

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg