As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Fitness Group! [Meetup Friday 4/6 1PM outside the Wyvern Theater]

• XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This thread may be what I need to keep me on target. Since about two weeks before PAX East (so several months now), I've fallen just about completely off the fitness wagon. I haven't seen a scale for the same period of time, but I'm sure I'm over 200 now (while I was about 183, only 13 pounds above the standard weight for an eighteen-year-old six- foot male), and wouldn't be terribly surprised if I was above 215-220 by now. I think I've finally found my motivation again, and now I've found this thread. So.

First question: How do you stick to what you know you should eat in a college cafeteria? It's hardly a problem to stick to my diet, since I just make myself a sandwich without ketchup or anything, but it's so easy to grab "just one thing" that looks good, and then the next thing I know I've eaten six quesadillas. Anyone else with a similar problem or suggestions?

Xerlith on
    You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • ArmyKnifeArmyKnife Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xerlith wrote: »
    This thread may be what I need to keep me on target. Since about two weeks before PAX East (so several months now), I've fallen just about completely off the fitness wagon. I haven't seen a scale for the same period of time, but I'm sure I'm over 200 now (while I was about 183, only 13 pounds above the standard weight for an eighteen-year-old six- foot male), and wouldn't be terribly surprised if I was above 215-220 by now. I think I've finally found my motivation again, and now I've found this thread. So.

First question: How do you stick to what you know you should eat in a college cafeteria? It's hardly a problem to stick to my diet, since I just make myself a sandwich without ketchup or anything, but it's so easy to grab "just one thing" that looks good, and then the next thing I know I've eaten six quesadillas. Anyone else with a similar problem or suggestions?

This is why I think we should implement a 'monsters' or 'enemies' system. For you, grabbing "just one more thing" would be a monster of some sort (if you happen to play any Dragon Age games, a Desire demon perhaps? xD) and worth XP that you can put toward leveling up, in addition to your stat increases! It's a little bit more bookkeeping, but we should try to keep track of the bookkeeping for each other, communally, rather than by ourselves.

Also I set up an account with Plus One Me - http://plusoneme.com/users/998
    I think if we continue to report our achievements etc. in this thread we can use this website to track our stats easily and publicly. XP and levels will take a little bit more doing, but we could probably do it in our sign-up posts.

ArmyKnife on
  • BinarySamuraiBinarySamurai Code Chef Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh hell count me in i started my diet and training a few weeks ago. Nice juice fasts with the dash diet. I am working towards dropping from 250 to 170 before PAX east 2012. Good luck to all.

BinarySamurai on
  • StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, how is everyone doing? My weight loss has been good, but my activity has not been. Stupid sinuses have made working out extra lame. My allergies are especially bad because Chicago has all 4 seasons in the span of a week! 84 degrees out a couple weekends ago, and snow the next.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I severely sprained my ankle last week so I've been doing no exercise but I've been trying to eat healthy and do upper body exercises =( I can't wait till my stupid ankle gets better so I can start running.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am weight training 3 days a week (monday, wednesday, friday) at my local gym. I also do 20-30 minutes of cardio training after each lifting session. When I started out, my knees were so bad I couldn't even use an elliptical and was relegated to an exercise bike. Just last week I graduated to the elliptical. I also have my diet down to about 1700-1800 calories a day.

One kind of fun thing I'm doing is, I downloaded OCRemix's torrents of their first 2000 songs, and when I work out I'm going through the music alphabetically by game. I'm hashtagging this on twitter as #OCRemixWorkout. I'm up to the middle of Chrono Trigger so far!

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • ZazumZazum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Count me in!

I've been on a weight loss program since January, and this would be grrrrrrreat motivation to keep going.

Zazum on
    edited April 2011
    @Tehnakki

I majorly sprained my ankle in November and it set me back about 20 pounds. Between just being in incredible pain and overeating to compensate as well as inactivity it sucked. But I wouldn't have lost the weight I have now if it had never happened to me. I hope you heal up quickly! Keep at those upper-body excercises!

Zazum on
    edited April 2011
    @Xerlith I'm dieting at college too, and it's hard. Especially when I've got my tiny wimpy sandwich and everyone around me has fries and pizza and shit. My advice would be to stock up on really healthy snacks to eat between meals so you're not as hungry when you hit the dining hall. Load up on the veggies on whatever you get- burgers, sandwiches, burritos or quesadillas, since these will keep you full for longer. Also drink a lot water and wait 20 minutes or so after eating and having a full cup of water before you go and grab more food. Sometimes thirst genuinely feels like hunger! Hope this helps!

Zazum on
  • SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If anyone wants to play tag on Nike+ I'm dpisthedeep.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • ArmyKnifeArmyKnife Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If anyone wouldn't mind I'd like to help with the formalization of this - just give me a couple more weeks to finish up with finals and senior design and everything. I've been worked like crazy this past month so contributing to anything other than work has taken a sideseat >.<

ArmyKnife on
  • spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey everyone,

Ok I’m a little late but at last PAX East I got a new job with a new schedule so now that is over, it’s time to get back in shape.

Round 1: 4/6/11-10/5/11
    Start: 5/2/11

Current Weight: 206
    Current Height: 5ft 6in

Stat Goal:
    1+ CON – Endurance (New job is helping lifting heavy computer equipment up flights of stairs)
    1+ STR – Increase muscle mass
    Lose about 10lbs (not sure what stat goal that would fall under, if one at all)

Ultimate Goal is to be 185lb at PAX East 2012

Current activities: New job which I love (ty PAX East 2011) has me walking between 3000 – 6000 steps a day which, if a mile is about 2000 steps, is about 1 ½ miles to 3 miles a day. (Measured with a Poke-Walker)

I don’t have a Level Up challenge yet.

I will be returning to the gym once summer hits since my schedule will open up.

Any idea or tips would be great!

spiderz13 on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was all gung-ho about this last year, then I fizzled out. :( Not this year, dammit! I'm hitting the gym, back on weight watchers, and doing EA Active 2.

Anyone else doing EA Active 2? It's pretty cheap on Amazon these days and I'd be happy to make us all a Workout Group, they span platforms so it does't matter what console you're on. The game kicked my ass yesterday and that's awesome! :)

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Awesome that people are still hard at this. Don't give up.

Zazum and Xerlith mentioned having difficulty making healthy food decisions. Hard to get past the simple fact of this being self-control. Try to limit it. Set rules you know you can live with. A fellow I worked with had lost a lot of weight despite a deep love affair with food. His solution was to simply calculate the calories he would have to burn off from what he ate. Tempted by a slice of cake? That's a 7k run (roughly, depending). Maybe that will work for some of you as well.

Another thing worth mentioning - if you get your body used to eating healthy food, it won't get along so well with junk food anymore. Nausea can be a great deterrent.

tehnakki, I hope that healing is going well for you. Don't forget that you can still do some exercises, like situps, scissor kicks, ect. Google might be a good friend to you here.

BeerNgaming on
    edited May 2011
    Weight Watchers is friggin awesome for food and portion control, I'm back on it after a long lapse and doing really well. I'm eating so much better and feeling better!

Between EA Active 2 four days a week, hitting the gym the other 3 days a week, and Weight Watchers I dropped 4.5 pounds last week. I'm building muscle and I feel a lot stronger and less winded already. This rules!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ah, it would be nice to lose some weight but that is not my priority this time around. Too many other things going on, and I see me spending a lot more time in front a PC in the coming months (work, not play) to make a serious run at losing weight.

One thing I wanted to point out, though:

Some of you have posted about getting back to a certain weight. I am thinking of the person who said they were 6' and wanted to get down to 183. I'm telling you what my doctor told me: forget the medical charts.
    Do not go by the AMA medical charts. According to them, a 6' adult male should be in the 180 range. Have you ever met a person that tall with an average metabolism that weighed just 180? It should be more like 210, and the doctors are saying that that's ok.
    Each person has their own ideal weight, and your physical make-up will determine what you can realistically reach. For most of us, 210 is a good starting number. I have no doubt that some reading this can certainly reach the 180 mark but most reading this will find that they can get to 210 and be considered healthy by their doctor.
    Seriously, have this discussion with your doctor and get him/her to tell you what they think your ideal weight is. It's almost never what the chart says it should be.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seriously, people don't have 30 minutes a day to run around the block a few times? This seems so weird to me. I don't mean any offense by that, either; I REALLY don't understand.

Eh, maybe I'M the weird one.

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    undead wrote: »
    Ah, it would be nice to lose some weight but that is not my priority this time around. Too many other things going on, and I see me spending a lot more time in front a PC in the coming months (work, not play) to make a serious run at losing weight.

just remember working out only accounts to like 70% of weight loss. the most important thing is your diet. there is someone on this site, that has posted in this thread (who will remain anonymous, unless they themselves wish to share their story) who also has a pc job, and didn't do a lot of activity and was able to drop 40 lbs just by learning a thing or 2 about nutrition, and the importance it has on your health... But if you are serious about wanting to lose some weight, and would like some guidance, I'm more than welcome to sharing with you some of the stuff I have learned myself...
    and to King of mars,

I think it has a little more to do with just running around the block everyday. some people just don't have the ability to do that, lots of outside factors can prevent some one from running. and like I just said it has more to do with what people know about eating more so than exercise...

Korvas on
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was referring more to people not having time to exercise in general, not necessarily running in particular. Sorry I wasn't clear about running just being an example. :P

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lol I gotchya, just trying to make a point how a lot of people in this day in age don't really know much about nutrition, and that is where it all starts.

Korvas on
  • bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    Count me in. I need to get in shape by next year anyway (marriage ftw.) So, yeah, I might as well get in shape for PAX as well...

PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
    This thread is pretty much dead, but it seems like a good time to revive it. After all, last PA comic brought up Fitocracy. So how about we see if there's any interest in the members here making accounts.

Any interested parties? Or at least, anyone still keeping up on their efforts to improve their fitness?

• smilekidsmilekid Registered User regular
    I would like an invite if possible

edited October 2011
    This thread is pretty much dead, but it seems like a good time to revive it. After all, last PA comic brought up Fitocracy. So how about we see if there's any interest in the members here making accounts.

Any interested parties? Or at least, anyone still keeping up on their efforts to improve their fitness?

Somehow I knew this guy would be back when I logged in today.

Yes, yes, and yes. PAX East fitocracy group ahoy!
    smilekid wrote:
    I would like an invite if possible

This tweet may be relevant to your interests. If there are no more spots, send me your e-mail and you will get an invite.
    @cwgabriel wrote:
    if you would like to join up for Fitocracy use the Penny Arcade group code to sign up: GSWA6

BaconSandwich on
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    im liking fitocracy. ive already lost 5lbs.

if anyone needs an invite i have plenty.

maybe we should start a fitocracy thread?

7US7VWW.png
  • MLCodestMLCodest Registered User regular
    I'm totally down for this. Would be a great way to be an advocate for healthy living and exercise.

My bad, I should have checked the history of this thread first. I will do my post count in pushups as an act of attrition.

Still, as long as it gets people moving again, I'm happy. Jerry's port on Friday hinted that he might be on this site, or if not, it might be something for him. Have you considered adding anyone from the PA staff to the group on there? Or have you already done that, and I simply didn't notice?

My bad, I should have checked the history of this thread first. I will do my post count in pushups as an act of attrition.

Still, as long as it gets people moving again, I'm happy. Jerry's port on Friday hinted that he might be on this site, or if not, it might be something for him. Have you considered adding anyone from the PA staff to the group on there? Or have you already done that, and I simply didn't notice?

Ha, by "this guy" I meant this thread. It's something I wanted to do, but couldn't figure out a good enough way of doing it. Now that the majority of PA is getting an in to fitocracy, I see it as the perfect vehicle.

There is now a PAX East 2012 Group in fitocracy, everyone feel free to join!

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Okay, I just requested an invite from Fitocracy. Let's see how long it takes.

• intothewoodsintothewoods Registered User new member
    Wondering if anyone has on of those fancy Fitocracy invites I could get in on!

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Wondering if anyone has on of those fancy Fitocracy invites I could get in on!

From the Fitocracy Group Page

Group Invite
    Group Code: GSWA6
    Group link: http://ftcy.co/uXhMAR
    Invites Left: 3221

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • smilekidsmilekid Registered User regular
    Woo Im in! Thanks!

I was just thinking of this thread this morning. I've lost 40 lbs in the last 5 months, feels awesome! Still have a long way to go but it's a marathon, not a sprint. :-)

To everyone still struggling, make sure you are eating right, because diet is the key to wright loss!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote:
    I was just thinking of this thread this morning. I've lost 40 lbs in the last 5 months, feels awesome!

You rock.

Chorazin wrote:
    I was just thinking of this thread this morning. I've lost 40 lbs in the last 5 months, feels awesome!

You rock.

Thanks a ton!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    There is now a PAX East 2012 Group in fitocracy, everyone feel free to join!

Joined that. Haven't been exercising much previously, unfortunately, but I'll see if having a real RPG-like structure in place can change that.

Also still didn't have my own scale prior, but just bought one and it should be here in a few days. Regardless, I've lost a decent amount of weight since April through better eating alone. Friends that I hadn't seen in a while always noticed and complimented me on it, so I guess I'm doing something right.

edited October 2011
    Chorazin wrote:
    I was just thinking of this thread this morning. I've lost 40 lbs in the last 5 months, feels awesome! Still have a long way to go but it's a marathon, not a sprint. :-)

To everyone still struggling, make sure you are eating right, because diet is the key to wright loss!

Grats! That is no small feat.

As for myself I'm working on two things.
    1- Walk every day for more than 40 minutes.
    2- Continue that cleanup of my old eating habits and move onto something that is both enjoyable and healthy. I could go hard core and eat like a bird but I know I would enventually go crazy and possibly end up like how things were before.

Edit: I recently subscribed to a Gym but I find I would much rather walk outside than drive to a place to do exercise. I realize that the Gym has better equipment and would probably be better for me, but I figure that as long as I have the will to do something then it's better than doing nothing. The plan is to hit the gym when the temperature won't allow for casual walks anymore.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Frugus wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

2- Continue that cleanup of my old eating habits and move onto something that is both enjoyable and healthy. I could go hard core and eat like a bird but I know I would enventually go crazy and possibly end up like how things were before.

Edit: I recently subscribed to a Gym but I find I would much rather walk outside than drive to a place to do exercise. I realize that the Gym has better equipment and would probably be better for me, but I figure that as long as I have the will to do something then it's better than doing nothing. The plan is to hit the gym when the temperature won't allow for casual walks anymore.

If you love to eat, look into low carb. It's working wonders for me! :-)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

Feel free to share any "new food" suggestions :winky:

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Frugus wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

Feel free to share any "new food" suggestions :winky:

Haha, I see what you did there, sir.

Seriously though, low carb is so easy and how can you not love a diet were bacon, steak, and wings are 100% diet friendly? This past weekend I had at least three servings of bacon, fried eggs, homemade mozzarella sticks, and hot wings!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin