As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Fitness Group! [Meetup Friday 4/6 1PM outside the Wyvern Theater]

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I'm just working to start dropping again, I've been at the same weight since Thanksgiving!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    I've worked out for the last three days straight thanks to you all and the Fitocracy group! That may not sound like a lot, but it's three more days than I've worked out in the last seven years. >>; So thanks!

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • DreamwishDreamwish Registered User regular
    Like many others, I'm trying to shed weight. I think I've got the workout routine part established, so it's onto the considerably less fun task of watching how much I eat. At least weightlifting (shoulder shrugs especially - beast! :P ) and running make you feel good after you're finished.

aikoe wrote:
    I've worked out for the last three days straight thanks to you all and the Fitocracy group! That may not sound like a lot, but it's three more days than I've worked out in the last seven years. >>; So thanks!

Welcome!

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I've got a question. I want to post a progress picture, but in it I am shirtless. Does this break any kind of forum rule? I'm a male for reference..

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Link it. Don't post it inline and post a warning.

E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2012
    WARNING: Shirtless Man.
    http://i.imgur.com/mCWFL.jpg
    Well then, here is a before and after shot. It's a bit blurry but I assume you can still tell a bit of a difference. XXL to XL.

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    Well then, here is a before and after shot. It's a bit blurry but I assume you can still tell a bit of a difference. XXL to XL.

That's pretty freakin' awesome bro! What timeframe we talking?

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Been doing the gym thing on and off for a year.. committed to it this year to drop 50 lbs. Love the idea of joining a group for it, and so .. here I am. Let's see what damage I can do..

That's pretty freakin' awesome bro! What timeframe we talking?
    From August til present. Still intend to cut from XL to L though so ain't no stoppin' just yet.

Finally, dropped 3 pounds this week after not losing for about 5 weeks! Hopefully this means my body is ready to lose more! 49 pounds down since May!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    I signed up with fitocracy but havent been logging in. However i have been keeping up with the workouts & eating better! This has caused me to loose 12 pounds since Nov 24th :) I'm using the 'myfitnesspal' app to help keep track of my caloric intake.

• BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    All this awesome progress is making me even more interested in doing some sort of reward system at PAX. I'm thinking buttons, maybe some sort of small fitness-type prize? I don't know, but I'd like to know what you guys think, also any ideas would be amazing.

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    Alright, finally got my fitocracy invite, I'm MasterRokku on there too. I've been dieting since last Wednesday, and logging my first workout on Sunday. I had lost some weight about 18 months ago and then stopped doing what had worked, so I'm back at it again. We'll see what kind of change can happen before PAX...

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
    Oh man, had such a good dinner last night! Brined chicken pan fried in butter and covered in taco seasoning, then mixed with cheese and jalapenos and wrapped in a Mission carb-balance tortilla. Then we deep fried those fuckers and covered them in sour cream! No more than 23 carbs right there!

Times like that is when I love low carb even more than usual!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I had been planning to start weight training again this week so I am totally joining. ;-)

I am following the work out plans in the book new rules of weight lifting for women. Anyone else tried the routines in here? I use to take a weight training class in my YMCA back when I was skydiving and the workouts look very similar.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12

Good job man!

Good job man!
    Thanks, it means a lot! Sucks when most of the people you see everyday notice a difference but not to scale.

Also, anyone do martial arts? I find my judo kicks my ass, gets crazy Fitocracy points and works the core.

Chorazin wrote:
    Oh man, had such a good dinner last night! Brined chicken pan fried in butter and covered in taco seasoning, then mixed with cheese and jalapenos and wrapped in a Mission carb-balance tortilla. Then we deep fried those fuckers and covered them in sour cream! No more than 23 carbs right there!

Times like that is when I love low carb even more than usual!

And you consumed all of my calories for a day!

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • henry.hargrovehenry.hargrove Registered User regular

More encouragement for you: amazing!

Anyone use the endomondo app?

The big problem I'm having with working out right now is that I feel like I have very limited resources and am stuck doing the same exercises over and over. I own one five-pound dumbbell. That is it. There is nowhere to put a pull-up bar in my house. My arms are too weak to do pull-ups or sit-ups (nope, can't even do one). I don't have the money to get a gym membership or buy more weights.

I want to shave a couple inches off my thighs/butt, and add some muscle to my arms. Short of doing squats and pumping that one dumbbell around like a boss, what can I do?

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2012
    Are you in an area where you can go for walks? A good 45 minute walk every day will do wonders, and should target your thighs/rear.

zerzhul on
    zerzhul wrote:
    Are you in an area where you can go for walks? A good 45 minute walk every day will do wonders, and should target your thighs/rear.

I would love to go for walks, and plan to do so as soon as it gets a bit warmer out. Unfortunately, I live in the frigid north and am also one of those poor people who is constantly cold, so going out for a walk in the ice and snow and 30-degree weather would make me more uncomfortable than it's worth.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    aikoe wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

I would love to go for walks, and plan to do so as soon as it gets a bit warmer out. Unfortunately, I live in the frigid north and am also one of those poor people who is constantly cold, so going out for a walk in the ice and snow and 30-degree weather would make me more uncomfortable than it's worth.

I also live in the north, so I know what you mean :) I know it probably seems daunting but I would think once you bundle up quite a bit if you can keep a brisk pace you should warm up some.

Also, you could do what many folks do, find a local mall (if you're near a place that has one) and walk the perimeter for 45 minutes. It's a good way to stay warm and get your walk in, in the cold weather months.

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Well, in a sense this kinda counts as a fitness related item, but I have to warn you it's not a great bit of news.

I have been slowly losing weight for a few years now, and in November, my doctor made a point to mention that during my physical. So she starts doing the checks and all, when she feels my throat, she says "have you noticed this lump before?" She has me feel my neck, and sure enough, I have a nice lump on the left side of my throat. She sends me to have bloodwork and ultrasounds done, and they show that I have about a 3 cm sized lump on the left lobe of my thyroid. In December, I had a surgical oncologist do a fine needle aspiration of the lump, about seven samples being removed.

On Monday, I had my followup visit, and the results came back "indetermined". So the next course of action is for me to go in for a full on left thyroid lobectomy to remove half my thyroid, which they then will do tests on the tissue, giving me a conclusive yes or no on malignancy. But she did say that this lump was a tumor of some sort.

In short, I think I was just diagnosed with thyroid cancer. :/

If this isn't a reason for me to get off my ass and start getting healthier, I don't know what is.

Well, in a sense this kinda counts as a fitness related item, but I have to warn you it's not a great bit of news.

I have been slowly losing weight for a few years now, and in November, my doctor made a point to mention that during my physical. So she starts doing the checks and all, when she feels my throat, she says "have you noticed this lump before?" She has me feel my neck, and sure enough, I have a nice lump on the left side of my throat. She sends me to have bloodwork and ultrasounds done, and they show that I have about a 3 cm sized lump on the left lobe of my thyroid. In December, I had a surgical oncologist do a fine needle aspiration of the lump, about seven samples being removed.

On Monday, I had my followup visit, and the results came back "indetermined". So the next course of action is for me to go in for a full on left thyroid lobectomy to remove half my thyroid, which they then will do tests on the tissue, giving me a conclusive yes or no on malignancy. But she did say that this lump was a tumor of some sort.

If this isn't a reason for me to get off my ass and start getting healthier, I don't know what is.

Sorry to hear that man. :( Hopefully it'll end up not being cancerous! However, from the experience of two people in my life forcing me to read about it, thyroid cancer is probably the least severe form of it you can have (provided it doesn's spread, of course.) Even if they need to remove your thyroid entirely, you'll be just fine taking a few pills every day and adjusting your diet. My GF's mom had hers removed due to cancer about 15 years ago and is healthier than ever!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    I think that the group of fitocrats from the forums should get a button or something. The original idea was something similar... but then we could recognize the others easily!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
    aikoe wrote:
    The big problem I'm having with working out right now is that I feel like I have very limited resources and am stuck doing the same exercises over and over. I own one five-pound dumbbell. That is it. There is nowhere to put a pull-up bar in my house. My arms are too weak to do pull-ups or sit-ups (nope, can't even do one). I don't have the money to get a gym membership or buy more weights.

I want to shave a couple inches off my thighs/butt, and add some muscle to my arms. Short of doing squats and pumping that one dumbbell around like a boss, what can I do?

body weight workouts are some of the best you can do and exercise bands can normally be had for cheap as well. You should be able to do a few modified pushups to help get you started. Just google body weight exercise and I think you'll be surprised.

MASeffect wrote:
    I think that the group of fitocrats from the forums should get a button or something. The original idea was something similar... but then we could recognize the others easily!

That would be cool.

edited January 2012
    Just wanted to say a BIG thank you for starting the fitocracy group! I never would have thought that having a points based rewards system would help motivate me, but it really has! I missed my scheduled lunch workout today because of a meeting and now I just keep thinking I need to go home and work out so I can get my points. Awesome system!

adias.angel on
  • DreamwishDreamwish Registered User regular
    MASeffect wrote:

That would be cool.

Conceivably, there could also be an icon of some sort on people's PAX East trading cards, for recuitment purposes. :P

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular

Ugh.. I will hope for the best on the diagnosis.. I'm sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you've already got the right mental attitude to conquer this setback.

zerzhul wrote:
    aikoe wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

I also live in the north, so I know what you mean :) I know it probably seems daunting but I would think once you bundle up quite a bit if you can keep a brisk pace you should warm up some.

Also, you could do what many folks do, find a local mall (if you're near a place that has one) and walk the perimeter for 45 minutes. It's a good way to stay warm and get your walk in, in the cold weather months.

...This is GENIUS. How did it never occur to me to wander around the mall? The nearest mall is 15 minutes away by car, but we could always go out there on days we're going grocery shopping. Thanks!

• LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    So far I've lost 11 pounds(started at 252) since starting the week before Thanksgiving! 90 more to go!

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • henry.hargrovehenry.hargrove Registered User regular
    Agree on the bodyweight workouts. In P90X they encourage people to modify any workout to their fitness level; its the effort that counts and that eventually turns into results.

aikoe wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    aikoe wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

...This is GENIUS. How did it never occur to me to wander around the mall? The nearest mall is 15 minutes away by car, but we could always go out there on days we're going grocery shopping. Thanks!

The elderly have been doing this for as long as I can remember, they're called Mall Walkers. They have the right idea!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    So far I've lost 11 pounds(started at 252) since starting the week before Thanksgiving! 90 more to go!

Congrats on all your hard work paying off!

You guys probably already know about this stuff, but I wanted to share some of the things that I've found that will make getting/staying in shape fun. A new iOS game called Zombies, Run! is dropping in Feb, check it out here: https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

There is also an actual Zombie Run too! It's a 5K event and they're holding it in a few spots around the country. It's called Run For Your Lives and you can find out more here: http://runforyourlives.com. They have on in Boston on May 5th and one in Indy on June 23rd that I'm going to train for.

edited January 2012
    There is also an actual Zombie Run too! It's a 5K event and they're holding it in a few spots around the country. It's called Run For Your Lives and you can find out more here: http://runforyourlives.com. They have on in Boston on May 5th and one in Indy on June 23rd that I'm going to train for.
    In a similar vein to Run for your Lives there's the http://warriordash.com/ as well.

PayneTrayne on

My husband and I are planning to do the one in Indiana this June. From people I have talked to they said it was awesome.

edited January 2012

My husband and I are planning to do the one in Indiana this June. From people I have talked to they said it was awesome.

I'm originally from Indiana and I think at least my sister-in-law and I will do it, my wife might too. My sister-in-law is an amazing athlete and geek, so I know she'll do it.

MasterRokku on