As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stargate Universe: Getting good just as it ends (Spoilers Ahoy)

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    At this point it's bound to be standard issue for SG teams to have little devices that auto-translate. Humans have the combined knowledge of the Asgard. Machine translation is no longer beyond them. Similarly I wouldn't be pissed if the throw-away answer was that Atlantis and the Destiny computers have built-in translation programs as well.

Have the Asgard actually displayed auto translation technology? I was under the impression they just learned English.

They're clearly multilingual (they enforce the Protected Planets treaty against the Goa'uld after all), and the level of tech they've shown makes it seem plausible that they could create little nanite babelfish. Maybe they didn't ever make something like that, but it seems likely enough to me that I am comfortable assuming it.

Also, I am bummed that SG is effectively dead. I've been wanting the next 2 planned movies for a while (1 SG-1 and 1 Atlantis). And now that SGU has gotten good I would like to see its story wrapped up as well. :( MGM did great with the movies. Continuum, especially, was a lot of fun.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I think
    The people that went back in the past or worship rush created the drones. The drones in turn kill everyone on the planet so it explains why they are so far away from their area or turf
    This is what I was thinking. The only people who could possible track a wormhole would have to know how the thing worked in the first place.

I'm guessing it was a way to find other planets worth inhabiting.

I did find it amuzing that Rush got turned into a demon.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    see317 wrote: »
    I like the fact that the colony world, despite coming from a modern civilization, was still using the old standby of "two long sticks" as the most efficient way of transporting stuff through a gate. No wheelbarrows, no carts, no wagons... Just two long sticks with a pile of stuff on top of them.

They've got a long range radio tower in the middle of the camp, but somehow forgot how to make a fucking wheel in the 30 years they've been there?

They also have metal folding chairs and matching card tables. The set design was a little random in general.

Lets say that they had sent all their wheelbarrows and carts into the gate to stock up on spare wheels and carpentry tools when it all went to shit.

I thought the point of that colony was they were basically rebuilding from close to zero after being cut off from the homeworld? In that case it makes sense that they had a mish-mash of technology, because they would've had stuff which had survived 30-ish years, and stuff they built locally.

I think they had been trying to set up new colonies so they could escape their dying planet, but they had just barely begun when the gate failed.
    Also, the drones didn't bother me too much - it seems reasonable they could actually be incredibly fragile, since the whole point of them is that there's massive numbers of them.

Same with the Stargates although that was very much a "wait what?" moment since it did break the "Stargates are so close to indestructible you can use them to destroy stars" thing. But it is explained by the gate's being mass produced by the seeder ships and probably of an earlier design (or a cheaper design - its possible the Ancients simply didn't want to make them so dependent on nacquada). Or those are in fact how they used to do Stargates, then someone pointed out that their whole civilization was enabled by the Stargate and maybe they should make them more robust.

I like the rationale on the stargates, but the drones should be armored to some degree. If a modern day CIWS system could defend against a whole fleet of drone motherships, it's a pretty unlikely that they were able to cleanse the galaxy of technology. I don't hate them for it; "realistic" space combat and tactics would be boring as fuck, and the drones need to be fallible to make them an interesting antagonist, but I would have preferred if they weren't that fragile.

EDIT: Also, why did this show suddenly have to get good?

For a moment there I was excited. It's been good for a few weeks now, maybe the numbers have picked up? But then I looked them up and remembered that I'm not allowed to have nice things.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Something I'm surprised no one else brought up, that my wife did when we watched the show last night; Wray has descendants. Lie back and think of the continued existence of our little corner of civilization? I honestly expected someone to have jumped on that point and raged hard with it.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who is Wray?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Camile Wray, Ming Na's Character.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Who is Wray?

Resident bureaucrat.

MKR on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who is Wray?

Camille, who is a lesbian

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ahhh, the one going out with whatsit from 24. Yeah, that's pretty funny. Clearly she just went off women. Possibly due to the need to have as much generic diversity as possible to avoid everybody getting weird diseases.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Something I'm surprised no one else brought up, that my wife did when we watched the show last night; Wray has descendants. Lie back and think of the continued existence of our little corner of civilization? I honestly expected someone to have jumped on that point and raged hard with it.

You're in a situation where you have to repopulate from like 50 people. If it were possible to sleep with a guy to make butt-babies, I would close my eyes and do so with every dude on the ship. It's about survival at that point. It's your duty, you don't have to like it to want to do it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ahhh, the one going out with whatsit from 24. Yeah, that's pretty funny. Clearly she just went off women. Possibly due to the need to have as much generic diversity as possible to avoid everybody getting weird diseases.

Lesbians having sex with men in order to become pregnant is not exactly unheard of even outside of "Survival of the Species" situations. And if she is really, solidly turned off by men... turkey basters are pretty low-tech.

Edit: What confused me more than Wray having descendents was that after 60-70 generations from a genetic stock of (at the absolute upper end since we don't really know how many people there are on Destiny) around 100 people, there were still people with discernable racial features. The only way to have people who look Asian after that many generations with that small a pool of starting material would be a pattern of strict inbreeding (which, presumably, the first dozen generations would have very strictly avoided in order to ensure long-term viability).

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And this assumes she's a lesbian, rather than bisexual. Or it's even possible that she didn't have any kids herself, cultural elements don't need active biology.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maybe Wray hooked up with Eli?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    As far as people discussing the dead planet, the promo and two minute clip for next week show the Destiny crew breaking into a massive, sealed fallout shelter, so who knows what's down there.
    I'm hoping a GECK. Or at least a crate of water chips.

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just realized what the girls were wanting the purple fruits for.:winky:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Purple fruit salad?

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I predict Futuran fanatics.

One of them will want to suicide bomb the Destiny.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Man, that was a really good episode. It could have been half a series just exploring that planet and working out what happened. Those flashes to the past providing little stories and whatnot.

Such a shame that this decided to start being better after it was cancelled.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn that was a good episode.

Where was this quality of writing and story before?!?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They even remembered to draw attention to the gay character. That level of attention to detail is unprecedented in SGU.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    WappaduWappadu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why couldn't the math geniuses
    figure out where those evacuation ships are? If they know when everybody abandoned the world and how fast they can go, that would seem to be a pretty routine problem to solve for these guys. Was that information not available because of the file transfer?

Wappadu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Please stop using spoilers for things that happened in the last episode.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Because clearly an episode that has aired 12 hours ago has been watched by everyone who might want to see it without spoilers, right?

@Wappadu
    The problem is, they don't know how fast the ships can go. They know that they can't do FTL, but there's a lot of space left there between "breaking orbit speed" and "Not quite light speed". They also don't know what planet the ships are going towards. Sure, it's likely they went to the planet that's now being watched by drones and will die horribly before they even try to land but there's no way to be certain. The colonists that Destiny met said there where almost a half dozen (IIRC) planets within range of the Novus gate, so the ships could be going to any of them, or all of them at any speed up to the speed of light for the past 20-30 years (time since the colony lost contact). That gives a huge volume of space to look at.

While the Destiny could just start hopping at random along the most likely courses and hope to luck out, it's already falling apart.
    On the other hand, a fleet of ships large enough to move the population of a planet interstellar distances at slower then light speeds would have to be seriously large. With Destiny's sensor systems you'd think they'd be able to spot something like that, even without the math geniuses.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Because clearly an episode that has aired 12 hours ago has been watched by everyone who might want to see it without spoilers, right?

If they are in this thread? Then yes, they've seen it. That's how TV threads work: It's not a spoiler if it happened in an aired episode. For more popular series you get people posting along while they watch the episode. Live.

The horror.

So, lets keep spoilers for actual spoilers please, which there actually might not be any of any more. Was this the last episode?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The problem is, they don't know how fast the ships can go. They know that they can't do FTL, but there's a lot of space left there between "breaking orbit speed" and "Not quite light speed". They also don't know what planet the ships are going towards. Sure, it's likely they went to the planet that's now being watched by drones and will die horribly before they even try to land but there's no way to be certain. The colonists that Destiny met said there where almost a half dozen (IIRC) planets within range of the Novus gate, so the ships could be going to any of them, or all of them at any speed up to the speed of light for the past 20-30 years (time since the colony lost contact). That gives a huge volume of space to look at.

While the Destiny could just start hopping at random along the most likely courses and hope to luck out, it's already falling apart.
    On the other hand, a fleet of ships large enough to move the population of a planet interstellar distances at slower then light speeds would have to be seriously large. With Destiny's sensor systems you'd think they'd be able to spot something like that, even without the math geniuses.

I think you can assume that they would know the possible speed of the ships (or the intended cruising speed anyhow) as they must have been looking at some kind of data sheet to know that they couldn't do any FTL. And it was explicitly stated that they know where the ships are headed (as they are dropping off their descendents on one of the planets to wait for them, although it's less waiting and more kick starting their new home and joining with any other surviving colonists).

The problem is just how big space is. They have a volume of origin and a volume of destination and all the possible vectors between them (assuming that they would travel in a straight line). It's a many variable problem. So Destiny would have to hop along at light speed jumps to try and find them, which would take a long time and push the engines to their limits while not allowing them to restock supplies.

Not impossible, but really hard. And it's based on lots of assumptions, while also possibly attracting the drones from the energy involved.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think you can assume that they would know the possible speed of the ships (or the intended cruising speed anyhow) as they must have been looking at some kind of data sheet to know that they couldn't do any FTL. And it was explicitly stated that they know where the ships are headed (as they are dropping off their descendents on one of the planets to wait for them, although it's less waiting and more kick starting their new home and joining with any other surviving colonists).

The problem is just how big space is. They have a volume of origin and a volume of destination and all the possible vectors between them (assuming that they would travel in a straight line). It's a many variable problem. So Destiny would have to hop along at light speed jumps to try and find them, which would take a long time and push the engines to their limits while not allowing them to restock supplies.

Not impossible, but really hard. And it's based on lots of assumptions, while also possibly attracting the drones from the energy involved.
    Yeah, they had the schematics of the ships, but schematics and theoretical numbers don't tell you how fast the ships are actually going to go. They don't tell you that ship X may have an engine failure causing it to accelerate slower then it's sister ships, or that ship Y is also carrying a couple hundred tons of heavy equipment or whatever. As for knowing the ships aren't FTL capable, if they've got the schematics and can identify all the main systems, they'll know the ships don't have an FTL drive.

The show has made it pretty clear that the Destiny is already pushed to it's limits as it is. The engines already threaten to explode if they try to force it to drop out of FTL too soon, or try to force it to go into FTL too soon, or if they look at the engines cross eyed. So, tracking down even the most likely paths to the nearest planet (most likely destination) would quite likely destroy the ship.

Another thought that occurred to me this morning while I was watching the most recent episode.
    Obviously Novus was founded with a policy of documenting and preserving everything. To the point where it's a well known saying from 2000 years in the past that random descendant guy can quote at the drop of a hat.
    They know that the planet doesn't have long to last, so they start shipping people off to colony worlds to build up a civilization so they can continue to survive.

In such a situation, wouldn't a full copy of the archives, or at least the section that contains all the medical procedures and other breakthroughs from the past 2 or 3 centuries be one of the first things you made sure was up and running on your colony world? I mean, it'd be high on my list of things that would be great to have on a colony.

And god dammit, why did the show have to stop being crap after it was announced that it was cancelled?

see317 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2011

If they are in this thread? Then yes, they've seen it. That's how TV threads work: It's not a spoiler if it happened in an aired episode. For more popular series you get people posting along while they watch the episode. Live.

The horror.

So, lets keep spoilers for actual spoilers please, which there actually might not be any of any more. Was this the last episode?

This is completely wrong. The thread is not tagged, therefore all spoilers should be.

Tube on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And god dammit, why did the show have to stop being crap after it was announced that it was cancelled?

This is Stargate series in general, but apparently SciFi forgot that without another SG show to lead into Universe. Season 1 - 2 has always been the shows finding their legs. Hell SGA shipped off a main cast member straight away because he just didn't fit well.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mvrck wrote: »

This is Stargate series in general, but apparently SciFi forgot that without another SG show to lead into Universe. Season 1 - 2 has always been the shows finding their legs. Hell SGA shipped off a main cast member straight away because he just didn't fit well.

The thing I noticed about the episodes of this that were clearly good though was that the show became more and more like "classic Stargate".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Watched the latest episode last night with the wife. We too are bummed that it has been cancelled. Especially after this episode.
    We both even teared up a bit at:
    TJ's death. The bit with Young and his kids at the table with TJ missing was really sad.
    Also, hooray for the kidney transplant!

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Only part that made me cringe was eli's bullshit answer about how he would have to stop the transfer, uncompress the data, and find the cure then restart the transfer.

You got people that have been accessing the information at the same time hes uploading it, so why didnt he just punch in ALS into a different terminal and read the data off the screen. Sure it may have been a different name but at the least he coulda made a different archive of just medical science knowledge and sent just that bit up.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    Only part that made me cringe was eli's bullshit answer about how he would have to stop the transfer, uncompress the data, and find the cure then restart the transfer.

You got people that have been accessing the information at the same time hes uploading it, so why didnt he just punch in ALS into a different terminal and read the data off the screen. Sure it may have been a different name but at the least he coulda made a different archive of just medical science knowledge and sent just that bit up.

Either Chloe's journal was not deemed important enough to destructively compress and transfer, or they spent all their time doing ego searches rather than check out all the cool new technology, or other data with immediate relevance.

So they either double suck, or the data they were perusing was left out of the transfer because it was functionally useless.

I went for the latter, because I am generous with my love.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well you could also go back to "They have the knowledge of the Ancients and Asgard so there is probably a good chance they can figure stuff out from there"

It amused me that they felt they needed to immediately start looking for a cure, when there was apparently 5 years until she even starts showing signs.

I mean it made for a great part of the story on the planet, don't get me wrong, but on the ship it is one of those things that should be able to be dealt with.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Because they didnt compress and send it as a single file until after shit started hitting the fan with the facility falling apart? I dont think there was any more database access afterwards.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    HiveHive Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It wouldn't even have a different name on Novus. It would have literally taken seconds to find the cure.

Hive on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can't believe that Rush was dealing with matters of salvaging a planet that was about to be swallowed up by a black hole, and then you have another scientist asking if Rush can take a moment to look up a condition on the database that the Ancients likely have never even dealt with, and which won't be an issue for another 10 years.

Like, dude? Priorities.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can't believe that Rush was dealing with matters of salvaging a planet that was about to be swallowed up by a black hole, and then you have another scientist asking if Rush can take a moment to look up a condition on the database that the Ancients likely have never even dealt with, and which won't be an issue for another 10 years.

Like, dude? Priorities.

To be fair, no one knew what Rush was doing because he didn't tell anyone. You are right though, not something that needed to be dealt with right then and there.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Why is this show getting so damn good after getting canceled

Now I care about it, Now i want it to continue

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yea seriously, it really seems to be hitting its stride.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That must be one badass newspaper staff to survive a drone attack.

Schrodinger on