Options

hating college (am I alone?)

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hated college so much

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    Look for a chinese girl in West Holywood.

I'll watch for Vivienne to get irrationally angry and we can cross reference.

Ahahaha

Blazing through West Hollywood

Wrecking more Chinese girls than Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Man, imagine if you ended up on top of her in your quest.

She'd make you stay up there for hours until you do it right.

You wouldn't even be allowed to eat.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    liz taylor died?

wait do people give a shit?

show of hands

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Deadfall, that is what I'm anticipating when I return to school in a few years.

I was super nervous when I went back. The wife was too (she's pursuing her Master's, which is waaaaay too much work for me right now.) I had all these thoughts, like what if I'm the oldest fellow there? What if I can't get back into the routine of school again? What if I forget to do the homework? Weekend class costs how much? What if I show up naked to class?

But then I attended my first class, and I couldn't believe how fast it was over. It's Friday nights and Saturday all day, and even though it was ten on Friday, I wanted more. I craved it. It just felt right, you know? Like I knew exactly what I wanted, and all the thoughts and ideas I had for my career were starting to materialize into something tangible.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just saw that Anjinn

her husbands could serve as her pall bearers.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Look for a chinese girl in West Holywood.

I'll watch for Vivienne to get irrationally angry and we can cross reference.

Ahahaha

Blazing through West Hollywood

Wrecking more Chinese girls than Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

this is a beautiful post.

Langly on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wonder if any of her 7 husbands care?

WHatever, something they can put on the news to distract us from nuclear earthquake libyan meltdowns

Franko on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You're a shitty drunk, Franko

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    could always go for an apprenticeship or some sort of trade school. university isn't for everybody

e: honestly this is a path that should be at the very least shown to students in high school. its unfair that in the US the dichotomy most know is 'flipping burgers or university'

while I believe this is good advice, it's kind of hard thing to swallow from a person currently attending an institution of higher learning

it's easy to say to someone "go to trade school" when you don't have to

still if the stigma changed who knows

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

its callled being up all night and stressing about school work

buttfuuuuuuuuck

Franko on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    could always go for an apprenticeship or some sort of trade school. university isn't for everybody

e: honestly this is a path that should be at the very least shown to students in high school. its unfair that in the US the dichotomy most know is 'flipping burgers or university'

while I believe this is good advice, it's kind of hard thing to swallow from a person currently attending an institution of higher learning

Why.

College isn't for everyone.

I've seen people go through uni and hate it.

I've also seen people not go to university and earn more in three months what some people would make in a year.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i've developed a twitch and i'm losing hearing in my left ear

its actually been one of the better months

third shift is going to kill my father and then me

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Franko wrote: »

buttfuuuuuuuuck

Maybe you wouldn't be stressed about school work if you'd, I dunno, done it? Instead of posting on a forum?

I dunno, I didn't go to college, I might not be smart enough to figure out this complex equation.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Why.

I've also seen people not go to university and earn more in three months what some people would make in a year.

yes this is why I think trade schools can be pretty good for some people

but if you told someone they could have a steady job and a good trade if they went there, their response would most likely be somewhere along the lines of "those schools are for stupid people, I can do better"

and it seems very easy for a person going to uni to tell someone to go to trade school when they themselves don't have to worry about said stigma

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011

buttfuuuuuuuuck

Maybe you wouldn't be stressed about school work if you'd, I dunno, done it? Instead of posting on a forum?

I dunno, I didn't go to college, I might not be smart enough to figure out this complex equation.

Pooro, if there was one thing I learned during my time at university is that anything can be done when it is due in half an hour.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Why.

but if you told someone they could have a steady job and a good trade if they went there, their response would most likely be somewhere along the lines of "those schools are for stupid people, I can do better"

and it seems very easy for a person going to uni to tell someone to go to trade school when they themselves don't have to worry about said stigma

Or you can say.

What the fuck do you know you are 17. You have been taught by bitter angry people with teaching degrees, of course they are going to be bias.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's like talking into a vacuum.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    also here's the mandatory posting of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    try doing a group project when your group members don't know shit all

there are a few more random variables in your sarcasm equation than you might think

Franko on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The hardest part of going back to college while being old(er) is resisting the urge to start swinging a chair through the sea of facebook-displaying laptops in every single class including the ones that don't allow laptops during lecture.

Or hearing 18 year olds swear because the professor used an incomprehensible term, like intraspecific competition because oh my ass you can't even sound that shit out how will you ever write it in your notes-oh good he wrote it on the overhead, that was close! *hi5*

Jishian on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    @Langly, you're absolutely right. As for entry level positions, though, they could get going without debt, and live a comfortable life.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Why.

Or you can say.

What the fuck do you know you are 17. You have been taught by bitter angry people with teaching degrees, of course they are going to be bias.

yes and how likely are 17 year olds to listen

it's not about the person teaching them, it's about the society they live in, its perception of the value of the individual, and its expectations in relation to financial success

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011

there are a few more random variables in your sarcasm equation than you might think

x=fert
    y=balls

Solve for balls

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

x=fert
    y=balls

Solve for balls

blue and squished because when I'm mad and tensed up I cross my legs like a woman

Franko on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Franko, this is an important lesson for life.

Shit doesn't get done unless you threaten people, fire the stupid ones and do all the important shit yourself and get the dumb one to do all the filing.

Blake T on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    college

in one of my g.i.s. classes there was a guy known as autistic mike and he was an asshole

he had a habit of going into the homework submission server, grabbing other people's work, recoloring elements of the cartography and replacing the name, and resubmitting it as his own

he kept getting caught but couldn't be expelled for reasons of handicap or some fucking thing

then in a seminar on urban design that he was enrolled in i dodged a bullet on group selection and managed to avoid him, which was great, until about halfway through the semester when his group dissolved because one of the three members dropped out of school to join an international dance troupe

he was folded into my group which was doing a project on the viability of the different leed tiers, and his contribution was based on citations from fucking simcity 2000

college taught me that when dealing with people like autistic mike you have to just grit your teeth and fight through it and someday it'll eventually be over

which was ultimately meaningless because when i got a job the november after i graduated he was one of the two other people who were hired alongside me (edit: he didn't recognize me)

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    College should be fucking rad

it's a massive well of opportunities and outlets to learn and develop as yourself, meet people, figure out better about what you want to do (hopefully) learn academic-based things hopefully as well.

Like most things, it's what you put into it. I lived on campus, dug into some student organizations, became the president of RHA (Residence Hall Association), and used the org to make the place I lived better. Started with a $3k budget, had a $17,000 budget when I left. Because me and a good friend were invested and did good work, they basically gave us the keys to the kingdom.

I learned as well, of course. I do believe that the chance to learn outside the classroom is at least as significant as the actual coursework. I don't just mean in intramurals or internships or whatever, i mean at parties, at lunch, a 3 in the morning at Denny's totally sober. Outside after the goddamn fire alarm goes off.

If you hate college, it's your fault, or you really don't fit with the school (and same of the reverse).

It's only the best years of your life if you settle and stop trying. Life isn't easy, blah blah blah philosophy

Basically, watch this:
    http://vimeo.com/20534171

I'm rambling, whatever

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yeah when i get into college i may fuckin ruin myself financially but make no mistake itll make the my combined weed smoking of the last 4 years look like steam rising off a single microwaved pea

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Shit doesn't get done unless you threaten people, fire the stupid ones and do all the important shit yourself and get the dumb one to do all the filing.

I took a gamble when making a group,
    there is always a person who talks alot in the class
    that person is either the smartest in the class or the dumbest

I flipped tails and now I'm fucked hard

Franko on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Why.

Or you can say.

yes and how likely are 17 year olds to listen

it's not about the person teaching them, it's about the society they live in, its perception of the value of the individual, and its expectations in relation to financial success

THAT PERCEPTION DOES NOT EXIST WE LIVE IN A COUNTRY WHERE THE COMMON MAN IS EXALTED AND VOCATIONAL SCHOOLS REAP THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF STUDENTS OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL INTO THEIR DOORS EVERY SEMESTER, A HUGE AMOUNT OF HIGH SCHOOLS ADVERTISE AND REINFORCE THIS OPTION, THE IDEA OF A DICHOTOMY IS A CONSTRUCT BY UPPER MIDDLE CLASS CITIZENS THAT DOES NOT EXIST ELSEWHERE AND IN FACT INTELLECTUALISM IS FROWNED UPON AND SEEN AS ALIEN

Langly on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I took a gamble when making a group,
    there is always a person who talks alot in the class
    that person is either the smartest in the class or the dumbest

I flipped tails and now I'm fucked hard

Man, someone needs to buy you guys coffee.

That's that guys job.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    honestly, i may skip college altogether

skin of my teeth

make a movie or make something grass roots. put in work and fund the shit myself. i've taught myself to film shit, and it's not like i necessarily need a school to study though i guess rigorous teaching is something that wouldnt be the worst for me

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    jesus h., Langly, are you having a stroke

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yes

Langly on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    oh el oh el now powerpoint crashed

why don't i just ram a pencil up through my penis hole

Franko on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why does everyone keep busting on Dichotomy? He's a pretty cool dude that I play video games with, even when he's the Doctor in AssBro and jumping at me from the top of a building so he can stick a poisoned syringe in my eye.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    btw langly how do you define society

like a characteristic national mindset

or more along the lines of sub-urban society, inner city society, nationality based society, small town society, etc.

because while you're right in saying that there are many people who'd consider going to collage or uni undesirable for many reasons, and would learn study a job or a trade that does not require that sort of education

I believe that the "overall" society, that is, the society of the country, while exalting the common man, views the studious man as being more successful

so while a person might be full of admiration for a person without a degree who makes it big, say, Mike and Jerry

they'd still think going to collage or uni is a better way to advance oneself financially

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    Man, college is like anything.

You get exactly what you put into it.

Americans like to bang on about their college experience do you know why? Because that's how they justify to their parents why they did a degree and still don't have a job.

The reason why they don't have a job is because they did fuck all besides smoking weed and complaining about how life sucks because everyone doesn't follow your political ideas.

You don't go to college for a fucking experience, you go there to work hard and with a goal to get a job.

Suck it up finish your degree and go get a job.

Possibly stop whining.

That's what I did, it's what I usually say, and I catch crap from people about "it's not job training, it's an experience".

I'm glad someone else has the same view as me about college, even if it's a person who is a descendant of criminals on some island in Mordor.

hey i think this way as well, but i dont know if the views of hobbits count for much
    LOL jk hobbits rule

also college was the best thing ever i loved it so much i am going back

not because of parties but because i love learning because yeah i am that guy

Arch on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    Why does everyone keep busting on Dichotomy? He's a pretty cool dude that I play video games with, even when he's the Doctor in AssBro and jumping at me from the top of a building so he can stick a poisoned syringe in my eye.

oh is this the bust on dichotomy thread instead

dichotomy is a poop and also a butt who is a jerk
    actually dichotomy is my poison pokemon bro who i just want to accept me for who i am and be bffs and solve murders together

Arch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    btw langly how do you define society

like a characteristic national mindset

or more along the lines of sub-urban society, inner city society, nationality based society, small town society, etc.

because while you're right in saying that there are many people who'd consider going to collage or uni undesirable for many reasons, and would learn study a job or a trade that does not require that sort of education

I believe that the "overall" society, that is, the society of the country, while exalting the common man, views the studious man as being more successful

so while a person might be full of admiration for a person without a degree who makes it big, say, Mike and Jerry

they'd still think going to collage or uni is a better way to advance oneself financially

While there is definitely a popular image of going to college in media (like movies and tv shows and things), the actual places where a trade school is most important (in rural and highly urban areas), the culture very much revolves around getting a job and staying close to home and not valuing going away to get a degree. Upper middle class areas almost across the board value getting a degree because that is where most of those people come from, but that doesn't mean it's the majority view of the practice.

Langly on