Options

hating college (am I alone?)

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had already lived on my own on a few separate occasions when I went off to college

which was real bad in some family-relationship ways, but it was great to get to college and have kids be like "Laundry?! Cooking?! No Moms?!?" and I got to just do my thing

I don't really get this. I live at home and I'm pretty [strike]spoiled[/strike] comfortable. My mom has a house keeper for her office who also does some chores in our house since they're one building.

And I'm still capable of cooking and cleaning for myself.

I don't really understand it either

I mean, I get that there are subtle things, or things that happen behind the scenes, that kids may not even be aware of until they have to go to college

like health insurance stuff or buying certain items

but I don't really understand not doing laundry until college.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    how do you reach college age without knowing how to do your own laundry?

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    Going to college was my first time on my own, but I wasn't as bad as some of the other freshmen. For example, I knew how to do laundry... and I never once brought back laundry to do when I visited. Mom's coworkers were surprised at that.

Same here!

Actually, I've been doing my own laundry since the age of about 11 because that was the only way I'd be guaranteed to get my own socks and underwear back.

My grandmother was an ogre of a mother, and my aunt and mother had to do everything growing up - before school, from the age of about 5 my mother would have to race around and make everyone's bed. If my grandmother had visitors over, my mother and aunt were expected to scrub the house clean, cook, serve the food, and do the washing up, all for the privilege of being able to serve my grandmother's friends (and no eating the leftovers!).

Apparently, during the war, when my grandmother was at teaching college, her mother would send her money my grandmother could use to post the laundry back to her. My great-grandmother would then wash all of my grandmother's clothes, press them, iron them, parcel them back up and post them back to my grandmother - a huge waste of money and resources in the days of rationing!

Anyway... my mother struck the right balance with her own children. She taught us all to cook, clean and do laundry without ever treating us as unpaid servants.

Janson on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    The only reason I recommend local and community colleges is because adding personal responsibility on top of a sometimes heaping workload that freshmen get can break a new student.

This is what happened to me, I just couldn't deal with the workload I had and still maintaining SOME social life and also washing my clothes (olololol our washers didn't work, off to the other buildings with a tub of laundry!), eating (resident food was atrocious, and we weren't allowed to have hot plates or anything to cook with besides a microwave), and other things. At least a year of local college to help them get their priorities straight. Though, not all colleges dump that kind of work on you either.

I honestly sort of like the "break a new student" thing

at my school, freshman year, students have so much work that they could conceivably spend all their time out of class working on materials

which teaches you a lot about time management and, more importantly, self-management

then each year you have as much work but it's more "flexible" until finally you are working all the time, but on stuff that you think you should be working on instead of things that you need to be working on for class

I'm a big proponent of having the lack of support that being at college across the country entails, because it really makes some kids into much more mature and capable individuals very, very quickly

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »

You'd be surprised.

Also, a lot of people know the basics (how to turn a washing machine on/off, same for a dryer) but not much beyond that. I love Mori but I can't trust him with laundry. By the time I've written explicit instructions on every item of clothing (I can't trust him, for example, if I say 'this 100% cotton t-shirt should go in the delicates wash' to assume that all 100% cotton t-shirts should go in the delicates wash) I may as well have done it myself. And although his mother and I have both tried to show him, he can't fold clothes, so he'd end up with a pile of clean but very creased clothes.

I see an awful lot of people not knowing how to fold clothes, or even hang them, or how to separate clothes, or be able to read the labels to deduce which items should go in which wash.

Janson on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Knowing how to do it is one thing, how many people actually did it at home is another.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Janson wrote: »

You'd be surprised.

Also, a lot of people know the basics (how to turn a washing machine on/off, same for a dryer) but not much beyond that. I love Mori but I can't trust him with laundry. By the time I've written explicit instructions on every item of clothing (I can't trust him, for example, if I say 'this 100% cotton t-shirt should go in the delicates wash' to assume that all 100% cotton t-shirts should go in the delicates wash) I may as well have done it myself. And although his mother and I have both tried to show him, he can't fold clothes, so he'd end up with a pile of clean but very creased clothes.

I see an awful lot of people not knowing how to fold clothes, or even hang them, or how to separate clothes, or be able to read the labels to deduce which items should go in which wash.

That's why I say fuck it and do colors/whites/delicates (robes,special blankets, speedos, etc)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    rhylith wrote: »
    Yeah I see where it would be difficult if you throw in the part time job. The only thing I can say is don't give up and try your best to make at least a couple hours to spend with friends per week. Having a little stress relieving time should help with the other problems. It is extremely important not to burn yourself out.

Yeah mate no offense but I don't any friends High school and school consisted of me being told what a worthless piece of shit I am and then those people same people pressured me to represent the school in distance running when ever that came up. Add the fact that once again I can't afford to socialize at uni so yeah hanging out with friends isn't a option.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I keep thinking the thread title is "haunting college (am I alone)" and I think Johnny is a ghost hanging around this school but he's like, the only ghost that haunts the place

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I keep thinking the thread title is "haunting college (am I alone)" and I think Johnny is a ghost hanging around this school but he's like, the only ghost that haunts the place

So I wasn't the only one.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i think we're alone now

there doesn't seem to be anyone arou-ound

Langly on
  • Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My college experience has pretty much been me trying to not fail while also trying to not go completely into poverty. I assume people with a modest amount of assistance have plenty of time to do other stuff. Like socialize, group stuff, large orgies, dorm-based zombies v ninjas (I don't even know what that is I just overheard it in philosophy). Possibly pirates v zombies...whatever. There were definitely zombies. Each time I dropped out of college my life, finances, and social situation all improved drastically, but goddamnit I started this degree 9 years ago and I'm finishing it eff you.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Life after college is so much better in my opinion.

I have money and free time.

That's shit I didn't really have in college.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yup!

My third year was awful, awful housemates, zero money, I was working every available hour I had on weekends to earn enough to pay rent and during the week I'd often not leave my room for three whole days, I was too unhappy to care.

Janson on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm 28 now and am really looking forward to going back to school, but as other people have said, I'm much more focused on what I want now. In undergrad, I was going with no real sense of why I was there or what I wanted to do. Now I'm going to law school and I know EXACTLY what I want to do, what I'm there for, and what I want to get out of it.

I am planning on DOMINATING that place.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm 28 now and am really looking forward to going back to school, but as other people have said, I'm much more focused on what I want now. In undergrad, I was going with no real sense of why I was there or what I wanted to do. Now I'm going to law school and I know EXACTLY what I want to do, what I'm there for, and what I want to get out of it.

I am planning on DOMINATING that place.

Become an alcoholic?

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    No, that's once the actual practice of law starts.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Just hope your professors are good, SageinaRage ;)

I had (still do have!) the same mindframe, but this quarter my philosophy professor was just so bad - I really did try to comprehend him, I swear! - that I ended up being one of those awful facebook-browsing-on-my-netbook people during class.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I had (still do have!) the same mindframe, but this quarter my philosophy professor was just so bad - I really did try to comprehend him, I swear! - that I ended up being one of those awful facebook-browsing-on-my-netbook people during class.

Just sit in the back or to the side or out of my sight and don't watch videos 'n shit and we cool. There are people that go to non-mandatory attendance classes with exams pretty much out of the book that still come...sit down...open laptop...watch videos...ignore professor...and I'm just like, why.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Computing Science really was a terrible error in judgment, brought on by my decision 'I want to make video games!'

Take -that-, past me!

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    school thread 1.5

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    school thread 1.5

Please let us know the appropriate location to have conversations.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Just sit in the back or to the side or out of my sight and don't watch videos 'n shit and we cool. There are people that go to non-mandatory attendance classes with exams pretty much out of the book that still come...sit down...open laptop...watch videos...ignore professor...and I'm just like, why.

I always sat in the very back row, and the classes were mandatory, so yes!

(Also, no videos. And not even facebook, these forums).

Janson on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    after my bankruptcy I was hoping to go back to school.

Then reality showed me that I need to do Chemo first.

ok.

School after chemo.

no. Then you need to try and afford that shit on your own because you went bankrupt in order to afford the chemo because your insurance dropped you and your ex-wife prison fucked you financially.

ok.

School after chemo, getting a better job, and saving up... wow... that much huh... hmmm. ok.

no. By then you'll be dead. Fuck you.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well-played, in that case.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    after my bankruptcy I was hoping to go back to school.

Then reality showed me that I need to do Chemo first.

ok.

School after chemo.

no. Then you need to try and afford that shit on your own because you went bankrupt in order to afford the chemo because your insurance dropped you and your ex-wife prison fucked you financially.

ok.

School after chemo, getting a better job, and saving up... wow... that much huh... hmmm. ok.

no. By then you'll be dead. Fuck you.

Insurance, fuck yeah.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, college was not exactly good for me.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ohh, but you can qualify for these predatory student loans at 36% interest that start repayment day 31.

Well gosh, that's just super. Where do I sign?

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I spent most of my time at college walking around in a drunken fug of self loathing and destruction.

Frankly i'm surprised i passed. But then again i was only doing computer studies, so it wasn't like i was studying damn physics.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    36% by gosh that's a swell deal let's do it.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    vsove wrote: »
    Computing Science really was a terrible error in judgment, brought on by my decision 'I want to make video games!'

Take -that-, past me!

I was sooooo close to doing this until I realized every other person I knew was doing the same thing. Very glad I went into a different field now seeing what my old roommate is going through trying to find a job, then giving up and going back to grad school.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    US health insurance is all kinds of fucked up

Janson on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    US health insurance is all kinds of fucked up

No man we totally got this don't you see all those rich people from other countries come here because it's so awesome and we get sweet doctors that nobody can afford and uh any sort of permanent medical affliction is pretty much guaranteed poverty. I think we nailed it, really. Also, something about preexisting conditions that I still don't entirely get!

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    rhylith wrote: »

Take -that-, past me!

I was sooooo close to doing this until I realized every other person I knew was doing the same thing. Very glad I went into a different field now seeing what my old roommate is going through trying to find a job, then giving up and going back to grad school.

I got an English/Film Studies degree because hey, I enjoy literary criticism and visual storytelling.

I now do visual storytelling for video games.

If I'd stayed in Computing Science, I would be coding the tools that allow other people to do visual storytelling.

In the end, I won. Not a career path I'd necessarily recommend without reservation, but hey. Do what you enjoy but understand that with some degrees, you'll need to work a little harder to get a job. Doesn't mean it's impossible, just a little bit of a greater challenge.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I wish this was a joke.

$650 a month school loan payments sure are super!

bowen on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Take -that-, past me!
    The worst part about the computer science courses at my university was the placement of the building.

It was waaaaaaaaaay on the other side of campus. Keep us dirty nerds away from the everyone else.

After my sophomore year, I don't think I had one attractive female in any of my classes. All the women were either old people going back to school, or dirty mouth breathers.

Mostly old people going back to school.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »

I wish this was a joke.

$650 a month school loan payments sure are super!

Yeah mine will probably end up around that. Somewhere between 6-8k a year.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    my college experience is turning into failing out while taking all sorts of drugs (prescribed) while trying not to kill my self.

i wouldn't exactly call it hate but...

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    haha I don't have outrageous student loans.

Losers

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    haha I don't have outrageous student loans.

Losers

Congratulations.

Darkness Mundus on