• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    haha me either hahaha

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Most of my college costs actually come from housing. 3500/semester isn't the worst thing in the world.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Whelp, my GPA slipped from 3.85 to 3.83.

Time to kill people.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Callius wrote: »

Time to kill people.

Onoes now you'll never get to
    What are the consequences there

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Grad school, PhD, my entire future career plans, basically.

I mean, I'm not 100% hosed, but I really need a few solid quarters to bring it up to be competitive.

Luckily, I will have a few tricks under my belt ready for grad applications.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My only peeve with college is (well at this college at least) you spend hours on end, studying your ass off, spending hours on lab reports, hours on presentations, just hours upon hours of your life just going all into this work.

Then, after all these hours, you basically fail every quiz you take, every test you take, and barely pass every lab you do.

Then, after spending months being stress out of your mind because you're basically failing all your classes. Spending months wondering WTF you're going to do, whether or not you should withdraw from your classes. The end of the semester comes and all the classes you were failing in, you pass them with a B, maybe even a A.

Repeat x8....

Yeah, that's the college experience at this fraking place. The ironic thing is, I'm pretty much destined to end up being mid management at some cubicle in Houston Texas.

But fuck, a man needs his goals....

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Time to kill people.

All we need is Ogre to scream NEEEEERRRRDDDDS and the thread is complete.

Hunter on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    College is for losers. Being a highschool dropout is where it's at

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My first year of college was no joke the best year of my life. I was away from my mentally abusive mother, I was surrounded by people who had every exact same interest that I did, i had a meal card and food was always just a short walk away, and I lived with my best friend.

Oh and I also was dating a girl and got to have lots of sex. So that was nice too.

On the down side, I never went to class. Maybe a dozen times the whole year. And that sucked. Right now I go to community college because its cheap. Its nowhere near as fun and I don't get to meet as many cool people, but hey its an education.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Casually: Here's the thing about college (at least, what I've seen) - it's not here to make you feel better. Being constantly reminded that you're not as smart as you think you are, being constantly reminded that you are in a state of improvement, and being constantly reminded that even when you're done you still won't know shit is a really hard place to be in and accept. I know I still struggle with it constantly (especially because my out of school hobbies also involve learning and increasing my skills; I literally have almost no reprieve from this feeling).

I mean, all I can really say is that you feel that way for a reason and it is because you're actually learning.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Really though keep it above like 3.75 and be nice and rounded wherever else is advantageous. I've never done grad applications, and I don't think I will, so I don't know what they entail.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Grad school, PhD, my entire future career plans, basically.

I mean, I'm not 100% hosed, but I really need a few solid quarters to bring it up to be competitive.

Luckily, I will have a few tricks under my belt ready for grad applications.

Eh my GPA wen from 3.8 to 0.2 back to 2.9 and after this semester I might be at over 3. From what I've been able to tell, Med School or Grad School to be a Nurse Practitioner is still not out of the question for me.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    D: Stale I wanna give you all the hugs

Does the OP even need to enter straight into a 4 year? Seems like attending a local CC would be better for him since he would save money and doesn't seem to care for a college environment.

It has to be a very different being an older college student. Perhaps he won't enjoy it but at the least find it more easily tolerable?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Casually: Here's the thing about college (at least, what I've seen) - it's not here to make you feel better. Being constantly reminded that you're not as smart as you think you are, being constantly reminded that you are in a state of improvement, and being constantly reminded that even when you're done you still won't know shit is a really hard place to be in and accept. I know I still struggle with it constantly (especially because my out of school hobbies also involve learning and increasing my skills; I literally have almost no reprieve from this feeling).

I mean, all I can really say is that you feel that way for a reason and it is because you're actually learning.

This is a good point. But what really sucks about college is if you go into and just...don't have any drive or passion for a field and have to accept that you just need to pick something you don't give much of a shit about and roll with it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    College was fun as shit. I would stay in college forever if I could. People who just party and blow off their work are universally losers (hello, this was me for a time). The trick is balancing your work with what is your first taste of actual freedom.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hated coursework that was outside my major.

Well, that's not true. I liked shit like history and stuff.

but one class I had to read Emma.

Fuck, I didn't want to read Emma.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    This is a good point. But what really sucks about college is if you go into and just...don't have any drive or passion for a field and have to accept that you just need to pick something you don't give much of a shit about and roll with it.
    Why the fuck would you do that? Why would you give so much time, energy and money to something you don't have a passion for?

This is a thing I do not understand.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Why the fuck would you do that? Why would you give so much time, energy and money to something you don't have a passion for?

Because you like money but there are no fields that you really want to be in. Thems the breaks.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It's become some sort of norm for teenagers, especially given our penchant for shipping non-education based employment elsewhere in the world, reducing such opportunities for the youth. I think to some degree there is some "It's just what you do" mentality out there, which isn't even that unbelievable given the amount of undeclareds out there. Who knows. People are weird. I've always wanted to study politics, and that's what I have. Everything else would likely bore me into failing out. I'll probably end up in retail management but it's cool to go into it with a little broader view of the world. Broader...much more cynical...view.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Because you like money but there are no fields that you really want to be in. Thems the breaks.
    I suppose... I guess I'm the odd man out. I quit my lucrative career path to go back to college so I could get a degree in something that will surely never pay for itself financially. The emotional and intellectual rewards have more than payed for this decision, though.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    36% by gosh that's a swell deal let's do it.

I wish this was a joke.

$650 a month school loan payments sure are super!

Yeah mine will probably end up around that. Somewhere between 6-8k a year.

I bet you that you've spent more than I did. This is for an associates degree.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    36% by gosh that's a swell deal let's do it.

I wish this was a joke.

$650 a month school loan payments sure are super!

Yeah mine will probably end up around that. Somewhere between 6-8k a year.

I bet you that you've spent more than I did. This is for an associates degree.

Ouch.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    College was pretty awesome in hindsight

At the time it was a pile of butts with trying to balance working and studying and holy shit feeling dumb for the first time in my life, but it was lots of fun and has set me up really well for what I'm doing now

Now I just have to figure out how to get my MSE while working full time++

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If anything, college has taught me that I could probably handle an 80 hour work week.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Usagi wrote: »
    College was pretty awesome in hindsight

At the time it was a pile of butts with trying to balance working and studying and holy shit feeling dumb for the first time in my life, but it was lots of fun and has set me up really well for what I'm doing now

Now I just have to figure out how to get my MSE while working full time++

Put Druh to work on the street, hustle err'day, and go get your MSE on.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So far college has taught me that I'm going to fail miserably at any job that I would have to get up before 10 o'clock to attend.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    after my bankruptcy I was hoping to go back to school.

Then reality showed me that I need to do Chemo first.

ok.

School after chemo.

no. Then you need to try and afford that shit on your own because you went bankrupt in order to afford the chemo because your insurance dropped you and your ex-wife prison fucked you financially.

ok.

School after chemo, getting a better job, and saving up... wow... that much huh... hmmm. ok.

no. By then you'll be dead. Fuck you.

Stale, if I win the lottery, I'm pumping the majority of my funds into developing a robot body for you. With laser eyes and chainsaw hands.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fuck that, I'm developing a robot body with chainsaw eyes and laser hands. Also a giant drill penis. Diamond tipped.

Hunter on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    i think we're alone now

there doesn't seem to be anyone arou-ound

this is a quality post

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dear Stale,

Run away from home and come live on my couch. You can go to school with me.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to divorce my wife and gay marry Stale, just so he'll have insurance. Also I want to see the look on management's face when I show off the wedding and honeymoon pictures.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I suppose... I guess I'm the odd man out. I quit my lucrative career path to go back to college so I could get a degree in something that will surely never pay for itself financially. The emotional and intellectual rewards have more than payed for this decision, though.

Yeah, people like me have no drive and no goals and no real passions so I'm at least free to do whatever pays decently and isn't completely mind numbing.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, people like me have no drive and no goals and no real passions so I'm at least free to do whatever pays decently and isn't completely mind numbing.

Highfive Darmak...ohwait this isn't that great a thing :(

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Current goals: Graduate, feed self. Possibly not in that order. Possibly.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

Highfive Darmak...ohwait this isn't that great a thing :(

I know but that's just how it is. I don't even have the drive to go to college and I'm probably going to do nothing with my life ever.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All I want to do is make enough money to live a luxurious life and do something for a living that contributes a little bit to society.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm the opposite I want to make very little money and do something that contributes nothing to society.

Actually when I wanted to be a copywriter that is exactly what life was like. As far as advertising goes it probably actively takes something away from society

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to college currently to do what I'm currently doing only with a little more responsibility and double the pay.

It's actually really great studying what I do for a living; enhances my work and means I don't have to study nearly as hard as I'd otherwise have to.

Janson on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm surprised to hear that college makes some people feel dumb for the first time in their lioves

I mean, I felt that way freshman year, but since then I've been astounded at how much I can learn

so I guess I do feel "dumb" in a sense in that there's so much to learn, but it's also gratifying to see how easy it is to learn it

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    At this point in life, I have ten years of professional experience, 15 years of various work experience, and I make juuuuuuust enough that the Govt says "Pay for college yourself".

All I want to do is go to culinary school and be a Chef.

I don't want to develop software anymore. Code sucks. It's always sucked. it sucks even more in your 30s.

You can't eat code. You can try, but the Indian dudes get upset when you drool on their monitors.

So fine, culinary school, what's that cost for a degree? Really? Really Le Cordon Blu?? 40k? So after getting a post-grad job I'll be able to pay that back in what? 20 fucking years on a kitchen salary? Super.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg