Options

hating college (am I alone?)

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It seems like it may not necessarily be dumb so much as unextraordinary?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't necessary feel stupid because of college. I'm just so freaking frustrated that no matter how hard I study, how much time I put into the subject, I simply can't win.

For once, I want to go through a semester without the constant dread of failing out of class.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hated college at first and decided to change majors. Since I started off at a private art school this meant also changing which college I went to (at least for me because I wanted to change to a non art major). It ended up I was pretty miserable here at first too so I ended up changing majors again, dumping social circles completely and trying from scratch all over again. For a while things still sucked but eventually I started making new friends and focusing on working on things related to what interested me outside of school.
    So now I do a lot more community work and started meeting more people that made me happy through that while still keeping up my grades so that I can eventually stop being a super senior and graduate. I guess that's what ended up helping the most. When I got crappy classes or met crappy fellow students it didn't matter anymore because I had stuff I could look forward to. Also my awesome classes now sparkle more than I think they could have back when I was bogged down.

Good luck, kid. You can do it. Good luck to all of you in this thread, it sounds like some of you need some.

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It seems like it may not necessarily be dumb so much as unextraordinary?

I mean, I can understand how being in a large academic environment with other bright and motivated students can make one feel that way

I absolutely don't think that is absurd or anything

but for me high school made me feel pretty unextraordinary because I was just another teenager in a town who was looking forward to getting out and doing something without a very good idea of what

and in college things have started happening, and I started actually getting an idea of what I wanted to do and how I could do it, and I started getting really lucky in ways that matter

I still don't feel "extraordinary," but I definitely am more jazzed about my capabilities than I ever was before. Getting good grades in high school is validating and all, but it sort of feels like praise in a vacuum, and even at the time I wasn't exactly sure what that sort of positive feedback indicated

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Casually Hardcore, have you looked into changing your major? I don't believe everyone can push themselves through every subject.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yeah

CH, it sounds like you might be in the wrong field

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not changing my major, because I love the subject (chemical engineering). It's just this major program. This college just wants to break you. Everyone I know haves the same feeling as I do.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hang in there then, CH. Do you have a lot further to go?

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wasn't sure what I wanted to do because in high school I had enjoyed every subject and achieved straight As.

So first year of college I did a broad mix of subjects - math, physics, English lit and Ancient history.

Suddenly, I wasn't getting physics. And I tried. I even had a private tutor. I studied for hours and hours and was still getting Ds and Fs. In the end I dropped it - really was not worth the effort.

Edit: but I also didn't like it, so no big deal!

Janson on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not changing my major, because I love the subject (chemical engineering). It's just this major program. This college just wants to break you. Everyone I know haves the same feeling as I do.

Tough it out man. If you like the subject matter, the work after school is VERY rewarding both intellectually and financially.

Except relief valves.

Fuck relief valves.

Ugh.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    then maybe you are at the wrong school?

I don't mean to be didactic, but schools can be very academically rigorous without being frustrating or miserable

it just doesn't sound like you're very happy! you should be happy.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The wise man knows what he doesn't know.

And all that

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I still have 2 years, and I'm currently in a weed out class (1/3 drop out rate) sooo....maybe i'll get better next semester.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Somebody just needs to pay me to cook them delicious food.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I still have 2 years, and I'm currently in a weed out class (1/3 drop out rate) sooo....maybe i'll get better next semester.

Where do you go?

rhylith on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I should just start marching into Restaurants.

"I will work for free for 2 weeks. If you don't like my shit, I'll walk away, if you do, back pay me and I'm your new cook. There is a heaven for penises and BBQ, I'll take you there."

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stale wrote: »

"I will work for free for 2 weeks. If you don't like my shit, I'll walk away, if you do, back pay me and I'm your new cook. There is a heaven for penises and BBQ, I'll take you there."

I like the cut of your jib.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    University has done nothing for me so far but put me in a state of constant fear and anger. Fear of failure, fear of dropping out, fear of not working hard enough and anger at stupid lectures, even worse exams and a general atmosphere of ignorance among my fellow students.

Edit: 1/3 drop out rate is nothing for some of the classes I have (had). 50% to 80% is the norm. And thats for a bullshit field like social sciences.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    SnitSnit Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    most of my major classes are at least 50% drop out

i am going to be in that 50% 8-)

im not enjoying any of my classes and I dont think i want to end up an aerospace engineer anyway

Snit on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I want to be rich so I can hire you as my chef

skettios on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Wait, you don't want to BBQ my penis do you?

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ferrus wrote: »
    University has done nothing for me so far but put me in a state of constant fear and anger. Fear of failure, fear of dropping out, fear of not working hard enough and anger at stupid lectures, even worse exams and a general atmosphere of ignorance among my fellow students.

Edit: 1/3 drop out rate is nothing for some of the classes I have (had). 50% to 80% is the norm. And thats for a bullshit field like social sciences.

If you can't handle a major in social services, perhaps life isn't for you.

Hunter on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Callius wrote: »
    Onoes now you'll never get to
    What are the consequences there
    Grad school, PhD, my entire future career plans, basically.

I mean, I'm not 100% hosed, but I really need a few solid quarters to bring it up to be competitive.

Luckily, I will have a few tricks under my belt ready for grad applications.

Wait you're worrying about a 3.8-range (out of 4 I'm assuming) gpa preventing you from going to grad school? Are you trying to apply to like an ivy-league for a full ride or something? If having a 3.83 gpa makes you less competitive than most applicants, then try and visit professors at some of the grad programs you'd be applying to. Have conversations with them so they can put a face to the application and fight for your case. I'm gonna have to do the same thing next year and I'll have a 3.3 undergrad gpa at best.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought 3.3 was the magic number for grad school application. Or was it 3.5. I dunno

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I'm 4 years in to an undergrad degree that's going to take me 5. I love what I study, but it's never going to land me any kind of job. I wish all of the advisors and counselors I visited over the years had sat me down and said 'look, we know we keep telling you to follow your passions, but honestly your passion should be something that doesn't leave you homeless again. So go study a real thing.'.

There's really no way I can switch my major without getting myself into a lot of debt, and I'm relatively debt free so far, so I don't know what to do.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can you use the degree as a gateway to another potential field in grad school?

rhylith on
  • Options
    NumerosNumeros Goodness GraciousRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Callius wrote: »
    Casually: Here's the thing about college (at least, what I've seen) - it's not here to make you feel better. Being constantly reminded that you're not as smart as you think you are, being constantly reminded that you are in a state of improvement, and being constantly reminded that even when you're done you still won't know shit is a really hard place to be in and accept. I know I still struggle with it constantly (especially because my out of school hobbies also involve learning and increasing my skills; I literally have almost no reprieve from this feeling).

I mean, all I can really say is that you feel that way for a reason and it is because you're actually learning.

This is a good point. But what really sucks about college is if you go into and just...don't have any drive or passion for a field and have to accept that you just need to pick something you don't give much of a shit about and roll with it.

What's even worse is getting your degree in something you don't have any drive or passion for.

Whooooooops.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I have drive and passion for very little. It's an unfortunate situation.

Numeros on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    maybe, but I'm getting really burnt out on schoolwork, and because of life problems in the last couple terms my GPA is not so hot. Basically it would require a ton of effort for me to get into grad school (mostly because I transferred here after getting an associates, so I have no connections on this campus). I really just wish I was out in the real world with a 9-5 job. I hate the whole 'here's 4-5 classes you have to attend, and then juggle assignments from. Have fun not having a life and having to keep track of a billion assignments'.

I would rather be back working full time, because at least then I'm not taking work home every night and sweating/stressing about deadlines.

Unfortunately, grad work will probably be my best option for employment at this point, so I'll just have to suck it up and suck up to a ton of professors this next term and study for GREs and try not to kill myself from how much I hate all this busywork.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What are you studying, Riale?

mcp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hunter wrote: »

Let me guess, you're of the school of "Everyone but engineers are worthless fucks" right?

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    College has been pretty much dogshit for my social life

I went from having friends and doing things every weekend to being lonely and depressed all the time

The actual school work I'm doing great at but blah

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had a pretty hard time at uni. Being terrible at studying meant I took 5 years to do a 3 year degree, and coupled with some personal stuff I had some of the worst years of my life. But I also had a ton of new experiences and some of the most fun days/nights/weeks of my life, so it all kind of balanced out. I came out of it with a decent degree, which has done shit all to get me a career, and I'm now working in a pub for minimum wage. Was it all worth it? Uh... yeah I guess so. I mean now I'm saving money to go back to uni and do an MRes, so I guess I must have liked it enough to want to do it all again.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    College has been pretty much dogshit for my social life

I went from having friends and doing things every weekend to being lonely and depressed all the time

The actual school work I'm doing great at but blah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU&feature=related

Hunter on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Let me guess, you're of the school of "Everyone but engineers are worthless fucks" right?

Yes this is a completely accurate portrayal of every engineer I've ever met in my life

Seriously now, when did the engie stereotype switch from supernerd to Frat Bros LOL?

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hunter wrote: »

Nah he's a scientist, he hates us engineer folk as well.

Though posting a picture of a bunch of business and law majors to insult engineers is silly! Should have been a bunch of stereotypical nerds with pocket protectors and shit. Much more accurate.

Our classes may technically be muuuuuch more difficult, but yours probably pile way more bullshit on you to compensate with tons of research papers and the like. It's a different kind of burnout but it sucks all the same.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Usagi wrote: »

Yes this is a completely accurate portrayal of every engineer I've ever met in my life

Seriously now, when did the engie stereotype switch from supernerd to Frat Bros LOL?

Might be a cultural thing. The picture is accurate for engineering majors in Germany.

Business majors are more the snobbish rich kid type.

Ferrus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Usagi wrote: »

TREVOR GOT A KEG OF NATTY LIGHT LETS GO GET WASTED AND DO SOME THERMO CALCULATIONS.

rhylith on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Every major hates every other major and thinks that their workload is easy.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man I loved college
    Minimum responsibility, maximum freedom
    I went to UCSB but I wasn't a huge partier
    It was just relaxing
    There was no pressure, you either excelled or you didn't
    If you didn't do well in the first five weeks you just dropped the class
    I was way more social
    I didn't worry as much about what people thought of me
    And I loved taking classes
    They were structured in exactly the way that appealed to me
    Lecture, reading, test and that's it, no busy work
    I took classes in everything I could think of Astronomy, Religion, Psychology, Political Science, Cultural Studies, Film, Drama

Also I met my wife there so that was a good thing

Really though there was never a sense of rivalry or snobbishness among majors that I can remember
    I had an Engineering major for a roommate one year and he marveled that I had to read a whole book every other day and write a major paper every week.

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Every major hates every other major and thinks that their workload is easy.

This

The only consensus is that drama students are the worst

Solar on