As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: I wish there was a word to describe the pleasure I feel in viewing misfortune

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thank you, spreading the love on facebook right now!

Casually Hardcore on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Was it ever mentioned before that Britta worked as a waitress?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tumblr_lilpshSqNv1qzkhmho1_500.png

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mim wrote: »
    It strikes me as really cool how self aware Abed is, but one thing I have to ask: I thought Abed (and Troy) weren't hanging out with Jeff a lot lately, because they knew too much about his sexual practices? Abed made it seem like Jeff had been avoiding them.

Jeff might have started pulling away and then they found out about Jeff's nipple play and they didn't want to put the effort forward (or more likely, troy didn't and abed went along with it because he's Troys best friend even though he also misses hanging out with Jeff)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it's not like it was loaded with references that you'd only understand if you saw the movie, it's more just little stylistic things (Jeff's narration, Abed's sweater, etc.).

Looking at it, I think you're not supposed to be familiar with My Dinner with Andre. Abed explains the only relevant part of the reference, and the entire thing is supposed to be a misdirect which basically depends on you not "getting" it.

And it ain't exactly Avatar. Though I might check it out...I do love Wallace Shawn.

The Little Indian Girl Story and WHAT MARKET were definitely the top parts of the episode.
    "I was just glad they thought I was pretty" was twice as :shock: to me as calling phone sex lines as a fat guy.

mcdermott on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not like it was loaded with references that you'd only understand if you saw the movie, it's more just little stylistic things (Jeff's narration, Abed's sweater, etc.).

Looking at it, I think you're not supposed to be familiar with My Dinner with Andre. Abed explains the only relevant part of the reference, and the entire thing is supposed to be a misdirect which basically depends on you not "getting" it.

Definitely. They played it subtle enough that I think even people who were familiar with the film wouldn't have been like, "This is totally My Dinner with Andre!" within the opening moments. It's only after the fact when Abed reveals it that connections/references become apparent.

Captain Tragedy on
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guess the Chang in my pocket just wasn't enough, I'm like fuck you.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last day of voting

How the hell did Chuck set up a 10% margin? This shit is rigged.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last day of voting

Maybe Chuck has a more committed online community, what with the constant threat of cancellation that looms over it evermore.

Robos A Go Go on
  • XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last day of voting

Maybe Chuck has a more committed online community, what with the constant threat of cancellation that looms over it evermore.

Man, I love Chuck and all, but it has absolutely been on a downhill slide this year and is certainly nowhere near as good as Community right now. This disappoints me.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The problem with Chuck is that Chuck and Sarah are incredibly goddamned boring as a couple.

Schrodinger on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The problem with Chuck is more that all their writers left for higher positions on other shows.

And yes, the online community for it is pretty well organized.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Simpsons Did it!
    k1aDd.png

Jokerman on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If Chuck beats Community I will have a lingering anger towards the show, which I generally like (although this season has dragged in the past few episodes).

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    That's silly. It's not like it's the show's fault that www.chucktv.net exists. For example.

enlightenedbum on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's silly. It's not like it's the show's fault that www.chucktv.net exists. For example.

I checked that forum out just now. I don't think I'll be returning there.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just remembered to say, I liked it when Shirley revealed she had in fact seen Pulp Fiction before.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It really makes me sad how seriously those people are taking this meaningless internet contest.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I just remembered to say, I liked it when Shirley revealed she had in fact seen Pulp Fiction before.

It's a thirty minute movie about a group of friends who like dancing, cheeseburgers, and the Bible.

chiasaur11 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Xaev wrote: »
    Last day of voting

Man, I love Chuck and all, but it has absolutely been on a downhill slide this year and is certainly nowhere near as good as Community right now. This disappoints me.

While I still do enjoy chuck, I have to say that it has reached a point where I wouldn't be heartbroken if it doesn't get renewed. As long as they have enough warning to make an actual ending.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Xaev wrote: »
    Last day of voting

While I still do enjoy chuck, I have to say that it has reached a point where I wouldn't be heartbroken if it doesn't get renewed. As long as they have enough warning to make an actual ending.

I think the problem with Chuck *now* is that there's not really any major unexplored stuff left. Chuck's issues with both parents have been addressed, Casey has his daughter, Morgan has a relationship (I'm assuming this is all still true, I haven't seen it in a month or so).

The show doesn't have a real story arc at this point so now it's just a show about spies with lots of geeky references and homages...which is okay, but nothing I can get overly excited about.

Vincent Grayson on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The problem with Chuck is that it's been on the bubble every year. Hell, every half of a season, and the writers are nice enough to give us a good ending point should the show get canceled at pretty much any point. Season 2, mid Season 3, end of season 3, mid season 4 while not all the greatest ending points, all would have been fine. The problem with that is they wrap up major arcs, then have to find new ones. I mean how many super secret evil networks does Team Bartosky have to take out?

Still, I wouldn't mind a season 5. And if it was a lock for Season 5, I'd have no mixed feelings about voting for Community. As it is I have, with some confliction, voted 4 times for Community.

Edit: And Chuck won. Final show down Chuck vs Dexter. Now there is a Chuck episode I'd pay to watch.

Tangential CSB
    I was walking out of a taco shop Saturday. Busy shop, long line of people. I get just out the door and I notice a familiar face in the line. I stop, like I normally do when I see some one I recognize. I then realize, that while I recognize this person, I do not actually know them. Since I can't just start conversation with a "Hey, what's up? How you been?" I pause, to think of the right opener. This thought process, while fairly quick, has still taken long enough that my staring in slacked jawed surprise has attracted attention. Zachary Levi notices me, says "hey," snapping me back to reality, I say "hey," then continue out of the taco shop in embarrassment.

Then I fell to the floor and pooped my pants.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DoomSong8 wrote: »

It really makes me sad how seriously those people are taking this meaningless internet contest.

Considering all the actors of Community were constantly tweeting for people to vote it's not like the Community side didn't want to win as well.

Magell on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I don't think us Community fans are in any place to judge Chuck fans for being very passionate and obsessed about their own show (though, they are very passionate). There's also a pretty big overlap in fanbase between the two shows.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I don't think us Community fans are in any place to judge Chuck fans for being very passionate and obsessed about their own show (though, they are very passionate). There's also a pretty big overlap in fanbase between the two shows.

I'm not judging their passion. I voted in the Hulu poll several times.

What put me off on that forum was how it was about nothing else. Just Chuck from top to bottom. The vast majority of forums I've ever visited have at least had a 'General Discussion' area with threads of movies, games, music and other shows, but I didn't see any of that on the Chucktv site. That's what put me off: the single-mindedness of the whole place.

I don't judge them for what they enjoy (in fact, I really should start watching Chuck. Maybe after I'm done with Dexter's back catalog), but that forum is just not a place for me.

Anywho, COMMUNITY. Abed: 2011 Emmy Winner or 2011 EMMY WINNER, because those are the only two options I'll accept at this point.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    he deserves some level of recognition for last episode

that conversation is even better the second time. whole episode, really.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited March 2011
    It'll go to Baldwin or as a going away gift for Carrell. But really Baldwin. Unless you're thinking supporting, in which case it'll go to like... some dude on Nurse Jackie or some other show that isn't a comedy.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    supporting of course

I don't really know the categories, there isn't supporting actor in a comedy? I guess maybe not, yeah.

oh well

he knows he's awesome I'm sure

Variable on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    supporting of course

I don't really know the categories, there isn't supporting actor in a comedy? I guess maybe not, yeah.

oh well

he knows he's awesome I'm sure

There is such a category, but award shows almost always when they have a comedy category give the award to the least comedy-like nominee.

It's the dumbest thing in a history of dumb trends, but there you go. I mean, look at the Golden Globes best musical/comedy thing. Always seems to go to the least funny film nominated.

chiasaur11 on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The best part of Pudi's performance, dialogue excluded, is his mannerisms. Watch his hands during the monologue. Looking for Tarantino/My Dinner with Andre parallels? Watch any interview with Tarantino, he talks the exact same way.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited March 2011

I'm not judging their passion. I voted in the Hulu poll several times.

What put me off on that forum was how it was about nothing else. Just Chuck from top to bottom. The vast majority of forums I've ever visited have at least had a 'General Discussion' area with threads of movies, games, music and other shows, but I didn't see any of that on the Chucktv site. That's what put me off: the single-mindedness of the whole place.

I don't judge them for what they enjoy (in fact, I really should start watching Chuck. Maybe after I'm done with Dexter's back catalog), but that forum is just not a place for me.

Anywho, COMMUNITY. Abed: 2011 Emmy Winner or 2011 EMMY WINNER, because those are the only two options I'll accept at this point.

As long as there are separate comedy/drama awards (which there seem to be), because Walton Goggins.

That is all.

Well, except that I was talking about how much I hate Radiohead in [chat] the other night, but then came across this video:

Okay, so some Radiohead is awesome.

mcdermott on
  • ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Simpsons Did it!
    k1aDd.png

Tell me more!

Thesmileyemo on
    edited March 2011
    So on the whole "how long could the characters remain at Greendale?" issue:

There's a brief feature in this week's TV Guide about Community where Dan Harmon states directly that the characters will graduate from Greendale
    at the end of S4 (if the show continues that long, of course).

Captain Tragedy on
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm rewatching the last episode, and when Abed explains his experience on the set of Cougar Town he says "then the girl led me to stand behind Coutney Cox and the actors."

It could of cause just be that the other actors were male.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nought wrote: »
    I'm rewatching the last episode, and when Abed explains his experience on the set of Cougar Town he says "then the girl led me to stand behind Coutney Cox and the actors."

Often times women don't like to be referred to as actresses- its "sexist" phrasing

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited March 2011
    "Actor" can be used as a genderless term - like saying "the actors of Community" as opposed to "the actors and actresses of Community". It doesn't really mean anything.

Captain Tragedy on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, if anything it's just implying that Courtney Cox is not, in fact, an actor.

Which...

...yeah.

mcdermott on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Naming Courtney Cox was probably to remind non-Cougar Town fans what show they are actually talking about.

useless4 on
    edited March 2011
    Nought wrote: »

I laughed at that both times but I'm not really sure if it's meant the way it sounds

still funny

Variable on
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Yeah, if anything it's just implying that Courtney Cox is not, in fact, an actor.

Which...

...yeah.

That was in fact what I meant by it.

Added the second line to be less mean.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.