As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2011 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

1272830323336

Posts

  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    Merged from Opentable gaming
    Is there evening tabletop mini gaming?

    I am working the show so I cant do the tourney but I am debating on whether or not to bring my Hordes army to try and get in some games.

    If so where is it and does it go all night?

    E6LkoFK.png

  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Merged from Opentable gaming
    Is there evening tabletop mini gaming?

    I am working the show so I cant do the tourney but I am debating on whether or not to bring my Hordes army to try and get in some games.

    If so where is it and does it go all night?

    All Tabletop gaming takes place on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors of the WSCC during PAX. (see the map) I believe PAX closes at 3am, so finishing up a game around 2:30 would be wise.

    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • astrothumpsastrothumps Registered User
    thanks so much for the info.

  • JonDevJonDev Registered User
    Ok I finally found out where my barcode must have went. There's a broken image link in the registration email. It was sent with the original email, but for some reason the PNG file containing it was corrupted. Will the people at will call be able to enter my number manually, or will they absolutely require the bar code?

  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    I think they can enter it manually. I'll try to find out for sure today.

    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • MattauiMattaui Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I saw a mention of lining up outside the Paramount theater for the Keynote/Q&A, but then another mention in the FAQ about lining up in the queue room. On Friday morning, if I'm wanting to get into the Keynote/Q&A, where will I want to be? Out in front of the Paramount, or somewhere else? Just want to make sure I end up at the right place, thanks!

  • GoozGooz Registered User
    Hey guys, I KNOW you are all probably getting sick of these questions, but I'm worried about my ticket situation.
    I purchased 2 Sunday passes in late may, received an email confirming my purchase and left it at that, expecting my tickets to arrive sometime soon™. The plan was for me to fly from California this Wednesday, tickets in hand... but I have not received any badges yet (and, being that it is now Monday - the worry is starting to set in). I have already sent an email to "[email protected]" explaining that my badges have not arrived yet and included my confirmation in the email.
    I keep reading on here that we can bring photo ID and a printed version of our confirmation INCLUDING BAR CODE with us to pick up our badges at will call, but the issue is that my email confirmation does not include a bar code anywhere on it. It just has a string of number and the amount that I paid - I also checked, and I never received another email about the badges and there was no included attachment in the first email either. Checking my bank account, I was charged the $70, so I know the purchase went through... If I don't hear back from @paxsite.com before I leave, can I just assume that I can print out my purchase confirmation (without bar code) and bring it to will call to pick up tickets?

  • GoozGooz Registered User
    JonDev wrote:
    Ok I finally found out where my barcode must have went. There's a broken image link in the registration email. It was sent with the original email, but for some reason the PNG file containing it was corrupted. Will the people at will call be able to enter my number manually, or will they absolutely require the bar code?

    Just noticed the same thing on my email, there is a broken link to an image that I am assuming was/is the bar code. hmmmmm.... the plot thickens.

  • JonDevJonDev Registered User
    edited August 2011
    Liger wrote:
    I think they can enter it manually. I'll try to find out for sure today.

    Thanks for that. Could you also confirm that the "Registration Code" is the one they need? I really appreciate it.

    Gooz wrote:
    Just noticed the same thing on my email, there is a broken link to an image that I am assuming was/is the bar code. hmmmmm.... the plot thickens.

    Do you use Gmail? Because I suspect it has something to do with gmails automatic blocking of images on it's default settings

    JonDev on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mattaui wrote:
    I saw a mention of lining up outside the Paramount theater for the Keynote/Q&A, but then another mention in the FAQ about lining up in the queue room. On Friday morning, if I'm wanting to get into the Keynote/Q&A, where will I want to be? Out in front of the Paramount, or somewhere else? Just want to make sure I end up at the right place, thanks!
    I'm fairly certain that there is a separate lineup outside the Paramount for the Keynote/Q&A

  • GoozGooz Registered User
    JonDev wrote:
    Liger wrote:
    I think they can enter it manually. I'll try to find out for sure today.

    Thanks for that. Could you also confirm that the "Registration Code" is the one they need? I really appreciate it.

    Gooz wrote:
    Just noticed the same thing on my email, there is a broken link to an image that I am assuming was/is the bar code. hmmmmm.... the plot thickens.

    Do you use Gmail? Because I suspect it has something to do with gmails automatic blocking of images on it's default settings

    yes, I do use gmail - The image to the bar code is automatically hidden unless you click on the "Display images below", but when I click the link to show the image, it just comes up with a broken link to a .png right below the first string of numbers and letters.

  • JonDevJonDev Registered User
    Yeah, I think the image file expired before gmail pulled it off the server it was stored on. It's the best explanation I can think of.

    Anyways, hopefully the pax questions email account will get back to both of us soon

  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Registered User regular
    Liger wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Merged from PAX handout question
    Mr.Sci-Fi wrote:
    I belong to a group of artists that is currently making a fan film based on a video game. If I were to print up some flyers is it ok to hand them out at pax, maybe drop them at one of the hand out tables I've seen at pax before?

    Unofficial answer: I've never seen any issue with this in the past, as long as you're following Wheaton's Law (and you're not guerilla marketing E4All). If there's an issue with flyering within the badge-required areas, there are plenty of public spaces in the WSCC and outside the main doors. You could also ask the food joints on the first floor if you could leave stacks on their tables.
    Liger is correct; just don't be a dick and you'll be ok. Also, you can bring a stack to Info Booth (I run the Info Booth) and we'll leave them out for people to take assuming the flyers are not offensive, vastly off-topic, or really big (I am pretty sure Mr. Sci-Fi's flyers will be acceptable).

    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Mattaui wrote:
    I saw a mention of lining up outside the Paramount theater for the Keynote/Q&A, but then another mention in the FAQ about lining up in the queue room. On Friday morning, if I'm wanting to get into the Keynote/Q&A, where will I want to be? Out in front of the Paramount, or somewhere else? Just want to make sure I end up at the right place, thanks!
    I'm fairly certain that there is a separate lineup outside the Paramount for the Keynote/Q&A
    Yes there will be a separate line for the keynote outside of the Paramount. I beleive it will wrap around the building down 9th then up Pike.

    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    I have a friend in Alaska who bought tickets but hasn't received his in the mail yet. Is he being treated like a filthy Canadian and supposed to go to Will Call to pick up his ticket?

  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Eyes5 wrote:
    I have a friend in Alaska who bought tickets but hasn't received his in the mail yet. Is he being treated like a filthy Canadian and supposed to go to Will Call to pick up his ticket?

    First... Eh! fuck you buddy!

    Second... Likely, though he should email [email protected] to be sure.

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote:
    Eyes5 wrote:
    I have a friend in Alaska who bought tickets but hasn't received his in the mail yet. Is he being treated like a filthy Canadian and supposed to go to Will Call to pick up his ticket?

    First... Eh! fuck you buddy!

    Second... Likely, though he should email [email protected] to be sure.

    I only say that cuz I'm Canadian myself. ;)

  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    New question: I want to reserve my hotel for 12 PAX Prime while I am up there. I tried that last year and found out afterward that the event had been moved forward a week. I don't want to make that mistake again, sooo...

    Are the dates for next year confirmed yet?

  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    It's best to wait for the hotels to go live on PAXsite after PAX East before booking hotel rooms, as the finalized dates and hotel blocks will be set up around that time.

    E6LkoFK.png

  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    I have timeshare points to spend at the Grand Hyatt, so I'm not just fighting PAX goers, but timeshare combatants, too. :) Timeshares often work a full year out, from what I'm told. It's all new to me.

    I fly out tomorrow and do PAX Dev Wed and Thu, woo hoo!

  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Dates for Prime 12 will be announced during or right after Prime 11, as they always are. Announcing the dates before then is only going to confuse some people.

    Steel Fire on
  • algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    tokyodove wrote:
    Through a combination of patience and not paying enough attention, I just realized that its the week of the event and while all my other preparations are in order, I don't have my badge! I have every receipt, confirmation, and payment email imaginable (even one with my PAX barcode), but no badge.

    Am I screwed?

    Print out registration confirmation with barcode, take to Will Call, receive badge.

    An e-mail to [email protected] is also required, as they have to know to expect you. Otherwise, they will assume you already received your pass in the mail.

    Was I supposed to get an email back?

    steam_sig.png
  • tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    just want to give a shout out to the people helping answer everybodys questions in this thread, especially Moe Fwacky, Smalllady, zerzhul, dyaballikl and Liger. since this is the first PAX for both myself and (i assume) several others, we're prone to confusion about certain topics, but you guys have done a fantastic job helping us out. cheers!

  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    tokyodove wrote:
    Through a combination of patience and not paying enough attention, I just realized that its the week of the event and while all my other preparations are in order, I don't have my badge! I have every receipt, confirmation, and payment email imaginable (even one with my PAX barcode), but no badge.

    Am I screwed?

    Print out registration confirmation with barcode, take to Will Call, receive badge.

    An e-mail to [email protected] is also required, as they have to know to expect you. Otherwise, they will assume you already received your pass in the mail.

    Was I supposed to get an email back?

    Yes, you are supposed to get a response. It may take a bit of time, as I'm sure they're swamped right now.

    E6LkoFK.png

  • ChibipandoraChibipandora Registered User
    Will there be seat-less floor area for the concerts? For standing/dancing?

    Apologies if this question was already asked, but I couldn't find it.

  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Will there be seat-less floor area for the concerts? For standing/dancing?

    Apologies if this question was already asked, but I couldn't find it.

    Likely, the paramount has removable seating.

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • ChibipandoraChibipandora Registered User
    SmallLady wrote:
    Will there be seat-less floor area for the concerts? For standing/dancing?

    Apologies if this question was already asked, but I couldn't find it.

    Likely, the paramount has removable seating.

    Yay!! Thanks! :D

  • algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User
    I just want to say that finally getting the Paramount is one of the biggest steps PAX has taken to this point, kudos!

    steam_sig.png
  • sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    Are the full maps of the WSCC (table top areas, theaters, etc) available anywhere besides the iPhone app? I looked around and only saw the EXPO area maps.

    Xb5IKgT.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Proxima wrote:
    For those who are trying to access the maps but don't have an iphone/android, you can find them here: http://m.guidebookapp.com/297/maps/ (as well as almost everything else on Guidebook in a web format)

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    Perfect. Thanks.

    Xb5IKgT.png
  • SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    It's probably answered before but I dont want to look at 30 pages of thread action.

    Question: Will call will be located in the WSCC but what time/day does it open?

  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Senicks wrote:
    It's probably answered before but I dont want to look at 30 pages of thread action.

    Question: Will call will be located in the WSCC but what time/day does it open?
    Thursday 2pm

    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Senicks wrote:
    It's probably answered before but I dont want to look at 30 pages of thread action.

    Question: Will call will be located in the WSCC but what time/day does it open?
    Thursday 2pm

    Thank you kind sir.

  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    I'm fairly a newbie to pen & paper RPG like D&D but I've been in a couple of games many years ago. After watching Aquisitions Inc I've really wanted to try another D&D game.

    How likely would it be to find a newbie friendly DnD game during the con? The tabletop area has intimidated me in years past since I know very little and I'm stranger shy, but would love to sit in if there is a patient DM willing to help out.

  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    As far as I know, the WotC will have a huge Tabletop area for DnD over in the Annex (same building as HaloFest) and it seems like they embrace the newbies/returning-from-a-hiatus/experienced players of all kinds. As for the actual tabletop area, I am sure if you ask, some group will let you (or need you) to jump on in to the delve.

    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    I know where Will Call is located and I know when it is open. However, what I do not know is whether there is a pull-in loading zone in the tunnel under the WSCC where Will Call is located. The reason I ask is that I just need to pick up my BYOC badge on my way home on Thursday, and I ride a motorcycle. Last year I was able to just park my bike in the loading zone at the Sheraton for five minutes (with the OK of the valet parking staff), and I'd like to do the same this year at the WSCC. Will this be possible?

    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    alegria wrote:
    I know where Will Call is located and I know when it is open. However, what I do not know is whether there is a pull-in loading zone in the tunnel under the WSCC where Will Call is located. The reason I ask is that I just need to pick up my BYOC badge on my way home on Thursday, and I ride a motorcycle. Last year I was able to just park my bike in the loading zone at the Sheraton for five minutes (with the OK of the valet parking staff), and I'd like to do the same this year at the WSCC. Will this be possible?

    I would think you'd have to call the convention center for that one.

  • MarySueMarySue Registered User
    cocowoushi wrote:
    I'm fairly a newbie to pen & paper RPG like D&D but I've been in a couple of games many years ago. After watching Aquisitions Inc I've really wanted to try another D&D game.

    How likely would it be to find a newbie friendly DnD game during the con? The tabletop area has intimidated me in years past since I know very little and I'm stranger shy, but would love to sit in if there is a patient DM willing to help out.

    From the Play D&D at PAX Prime thread:
    Brand-New to D&D

    D&D Learn-to-Play
    Want to learn how to play D&D 4th Edition? We’ll teach you all the basics, and send you out on your first adventure! Everything is provided for you, and you can even keep your character. A 2 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
    RUNS: Friday & Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm

    D&D Adventure Board Game Challenge Featuring the Legend of Drizzt
    Want to play a D&D game without a DM? Like cooperative games? Come take the challenge of the D&D Adventure Games. Pick Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, or a special preview of Legend of Drizzt, and see if your team can get a high score!
    RUNS: Friday & Saturday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, 5 pm, 7 pm, 9 pm; Sunday 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm

    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    alegria wrote:
    I know where Will Call is located and I know when it is open. However, what I do not know is whether there is a pull-in loading zone in the tunnel under the WSCC where Will Call is located. The reason I ask is that I just need to pick up my BYOC badge on my way home on Thursday, and I ride a motorcycle. Last year I was able to just park my bike in the loading zone at the Sheraton for five minutes (with the OK of the valet parking staff), and I'd like to do the same this year at the WSCC. Will this be possible?

    There is, not sure if you can leave vehicles unattended, but a bike should be ok for a few minutes. Just after PAX09 ended I had to go back under the convention center in that limo/bus loading area to hastily meet Nvidia when they called informing me they accidentally gave me booth equipment instead of the prize I won. I'm planning on carpooling Thursday after work to pick up BYOC badges as well, I figure I'll tag team it with who ever comes with and leave someone with the car just in case it needs to move.

This discussion has been closed.