As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just another Friday nite at the [chat]house

• Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »
    Mechwarrior was great fun, all of them were.

Another franchise that kind of ended up getting the shaft, just like C&C

Man what? 4 was the best of the series by far.

You can't take a combat system designed and balanced for a tabletop game where you roll dice to determine hits / misses and replace that with an entirely skill based system and expect it to work well.

Mechwarrior 2 had an excellent storyline but the construction / combat in 2 and 3 were pretty silly.

No, 4 was great, as far as I'm concerned they got better each game. What I was referring to was the way the franchise was just sort of dumped. Not exactly what happened to C&C but close enough.

I could have sworn that Mechwarrior was getting a reboot or being picked up again. There was a teaser trailer for a Mechwarrior game that came out like a year ago iirc...

I seem to remember someone had a made a full on mechwarrior mod for the crysis engine that looked very promising.

Yeah, G&T had a Mechwarrior thread and the crysis engine mod was listed on there. I never checked the mod out though. If it's done I guess it's a good a reason as any to re-install Crysis.

Havelock on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, Duke Nukem Forever got delayed again.

At this point I'm hoping it's so they can release it a week early and thus make sure that if the world isn't destroyed by the actual release of DNF they can make sure that an early release overkills the shit out of it.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I really feel like certain individuals should just be banned from posting in H&A threads.

Esh?

That guy freaks me the fuck out. Who the hell would choose to be a "regular" in any H/A style setting?

I don't know, but the penchant for needlessly stirring shit up seems antithetical to what H&A is about.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

You can't take a combat system designed and balanced for a tabletop game where you roll dice to determine hits / misses and replace that with an entirely skill based system and expect it to work well.

Mechwarrior 2 had an excellent storyline but the construction / combat in 2 and 3 were pretty silly.

No, 4 was great, as far as I'm concerned they got better each game. What I was referring to was the way the franchise was just sort of dumped. Not exactly what happened to C&C but close enough.

I could have sworn that Mechwarrior was getting a reboot or being picked up again. There was a teaser trailer for a Mechwarrior game that came out like a year ago iirc...

It is, but apparently there are some legal issues.

Just the same-ole legal issues over the "unseen" mechs that have plauged battletech for decades.

Though, much as I like them, by now Catalyst has managed to replace them with a suitable cadre of 3rd Succession War era mechs.

And luckily some of the best mechs - Atlas, Panther, Catapult, Jenner etc... - are not at stake.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wmain, don't. Neither.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Wmain, don't. Neither.

Quiet, dog hater! :P

WMain00 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I really feel like certain individuals should just be banned from posting in H&A threads.

Esh?

That guy freaks me the fuck out. Who the hell would choose to be a "regular" in any H/A style setting?

Especially since it feels like most of his posts are of the form "nobody here can help you."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the legal issues for the mechwarrior reboot really only extend to a few designs, i believe. game's in full production right now as far as i know.

there was a teaser trailer and then this one came out about a year ago too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhOvbfyyJw

looks pretty coo'

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Wmain, don't. Neither.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI

NSFW AUDIO

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

We all knew it had to be so.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    btw: If anyone is interested a while back they did release Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries for free. Well worth playing throuh even if you already have the game as they added upwards of a 100 new mechs and lots of weapons and such. And the new ones are easily up to the quality standards of the originals (if not better). They also made some improvements to the engine (making active probes better for one thing) and fixed some bugs.

http://www.mektek.net/index.php/home/articles/mechwarrior4-mercenaries-downloads-r1204

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I always used jump jets to get myself into position for attacks, not as a combat maneuver, that was just a good way to get blown up.

But using them to get up on a mountain ridge where you could rain rockety death on your enemies? Yes please.

Yeah but most likely someone will have seen you get up there. And I've always wanted a skeet game mode for a Mechwarrior game. In this mode you have a couple of LBX cannons and have to shoot at the Urbanmechs with jumpjets flying through the air.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    @WMain, if I had to choose one, the 2nd one looks a bit more rustic. Though the first looks more like your typical badass ninja weapon.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »

Esh?

Especially since it feels like most of his posts are of the form "nobody here can help you."

Pft, I'm a regular in H/A.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, the Urbanmech.

They should have a Ruralmech that has a melee pitchfork.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

At this point I'm hoping it's so they can release it a week early and thus make sure that if the world isn't destroyed by the actual release of DNF they can make sure that an early release overkills the shit out of it.

I weep for the children

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    and a Suburbanmech that covers its foes in scorching gouts of premium fair-trade coffee

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Esh?

I don't know, but the penchant for needlessly stirring shit up seems antithetical to what H&A is about.

I post in H/A pretty regularly, I'm not really sure why, but yeah, that guy is strange, and I think he posts in every. single. thread.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the Übermech

Elendil on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Oh man, the Urbanmech.

this is the worst idea ever

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    and a Suburbanmech that covers its foes in scorching gouts of premium fair-trade coffee

Movement penalty due to obesity

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SportUtilityMech

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, the Urbanmech.

hehe. Though it's not a bad mech in the tabletop game in it's intended role. That AC/10 packs a decent punch for a 3025 era light mech and it does have a lot of armor. Just don't get caught in open terrain and its not bad.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It is, but apparently there are some legal issues.

Just the same-ole legal issues over the "unseen" mechs that have plauged battletech for decades.

Though, much as I like them, by now Catalyst has managed to replace them with a suitable cadre of 3rd Succession War era mechs.

And luckily some of the best mechs - Atlas, Panther, Catapult, Jenner etc... - are not at stake.

The Panther was a weird mech. So very over gunned for it's weight class but giving up almost all of the traditional advantages of a light mech.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

its dropship looks like a giant minivan

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Wmain, don't. Neither.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI

NSFW AUDIO

Hahahahah. :lol:

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    *snip*

The Panther was a weird mech. So very over gunned for it's weight class but giving up almost all of the traditional advantages of a light mech.

It's top running speed is pretty low but it still has a good set of jump jets. It's a PPC that can hop around.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am a H/A regular in that I read most of the threads; I just don't have anything useful to contribute most of the time (or my advice has already been given).

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, the Urbanmech.

The Axman.

191px-3050_Axeman.jpg

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Panther would wreck on the single player free for all maps though.

PPCs rip through light mechs.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, the Urbanmech.

hehe. Though it's not a bad mech in the tabletop game in it's intended role. That AC/10 packs a decent punch for a 3025 era light mech and it does have a lot of armor. Just don't get caught in open terrain and its not bad.

did they ever show up in any of the computer games, or am I hallucinating that?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Guys! I own Arch's soul. What should I do with it?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think I bought Mechwarrior 4 the day my dog died.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    @yami from other thread,

Don't worry about telling the doctor that you've had the cough for a few weeks.

bowen on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Sell it to a gypsy caravan.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It used to be an UrbanMech, but moved once it had KidMechs to have a larger Maintenance Bay.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, the Urbanmech.

did they ever show up in any of the computer games, or am I hallucinating that?

They added them (along with a ton of others) to the free mechwarrior 4: mercenaries I linked above.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Trade it for Pogs.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Can you make pacts with other souls than yours? If so, you know what to do!
    iPad2, now!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guys! This weekend is the world famous Cambridge - Oxford Goat race, held in London.

image.jpg

If you don't like goats but do like the water, there is also a boat race of some kind on a nearby river

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
This discussion has been closed.