As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gay Rights] Scott Walker still trying to get fired.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BigBear wrote: »
    Just so we're clear, I'm pretty firmly on Sara Quin's side with this issue, but I wanna know what you guys think.

It's my estimation that people don't hold rappers (or really, the Black entertainment community at large) responsible for their rampant misogyny, homophobia, or hypocritical religious fundamentalism for two primary reasons: fear of accusations of racism (which all groups, especially literate progressive WASPs, try to avoid like the plague), and the relatively limited market share these offending artists dominate.

Rest assured, the backlash against the rap community is coming to a head, and will only get strong the more tolerant mainstream society is of the openly gay, especially in crossover media outlets, like movies and sports. When there's a gay basketball player than wins the MVP, or a gay boxing heavyweight champ, or a gay action star, the crest will be on the downslope.

Atomika on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    One of the big things about rap is that it is traditionally the complete opposite of aspirational, devoting itself totally to the hard realities of inner city living. As such, you see a lot of the grimdark "grittiness" also found in the worst excesses of 80's comics.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Even as One Of The Oppressors, I'm actually kind of looking forward to the day when there's an action movie about a regular guy fighting to save the life of the man he loves, and it's not some big thing like OMG IT'S AN ACTION HOMO but... just some guy trying to do all he can to protect his family.

Basically the day when the gender/sex/orientation of the person is irrelevant to the story. Race would be nice too.

But I draw the line at otherkin. What the shit is wrong with those people?
    Put the pitchforks down! Wait, not the face!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »
    One of the big things about rap is that it is traditionally the complete opposite of aspirational, devoting itself totally to the hard realities of inner city living. As such, you see a lot of the grimdark "grittiness" also found in the worst excesses of 80's comics.

Maybe in the early Nineties, back in the NWA days and the like, but nowadays? It's just pandering to a "hardcore" image that hasn't had any real credibility since Fiddy started wearing Gucci ballcaps.

Atomika on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Even as One Of The Oppressors, I'm actually kind of looking forward to the day when there's an action movie about a regular guy fighting to save the life of the man he loves, and it's not some big thing like OMG IT'S AN ACTION HOMO but... just some guy trying to do all he can to protect his family.

You mean Top Gun?

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

You mean Top Gun?

I thought that was just an ad for the Air Force and beachball volleyOH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

... and yes.

Forar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would say dehumanizing racists was a significant part of getting racism to be less acceptable in a broad sense. I think it's pretty important to isolate such people and make it known that their opinions are utterly unacceptable and roundly mocked.

Less dehumanizing them and more making them seem utterly laughable. See: KKK and Superman.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh dear god I love the Onion.

Fiscally I'm A Right-Wing Nutjob, But On Social Issues I'm Fucking Insanely Liberal
    The world is a complicated place, and in this day and age, you just can't expect a person to fall on the same political side of every issue he is confronted with. Things are more nuanced than that, and the average American might think one way about one topic, and a completely different way about another. For instance, when it comes to fiscal issues, I consider myself to be a rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth, right-wing lunatic. But on the social front, I'm a completely out-of-his-mind, wacked-out liberal loon.

It's all about striking a balance, really.

Take finances. It is my opinion that all taxes whatsoever should be abolished, and that everything relating to money in any way should be privatized, including the minting of coinage. Thus, each American should have his own system of currency and his own bank named after him to maintain that currency, and anyone whose personal currency system fails in the unfettered free market should be left to die bleeding and penniless in the street, with his family crying helplessly at his side. Also, corporations should be able to buy whatever and whomever they want, and at the end of every year the richest and most powerful corporation should be allowed to physically demolish 15 other corporations that it wishes to see destroyed, murdering all of the various employees of said corporations in any way it sees fit. I guess you could say I'm a fucking nutcase conservative when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I do believe it's an ideology that has its limits.

For example, when it comes to a social issue like gay rights, my opinion is that gays and lesbians should be afforded extra rights under the law, as I believe they are descended from an immortal race of beings whom we must revere as the ancient Sumerians would have revered their god An. All Americans should spend four hours of every workday erecting elaborate temples in which to worship our omnipotent homosexual overlords, and we all must sacrifice ourselves willingly upon the altar of the gay and lesbian community, everyone of us, including children, who, by the way, I think should be eligible to drink, drive, and vote from age four on up.

However, if those same children get sick, then I believe it is their sole responsibility to pay for their own health care. Children should not be coddled with the support of their parents' hard-earned money, and it's up to them to finance multimillion-dollar procedures with their own pluck and determination. And children who can't handle that should be thrown immediately into debtor's prison, performing menial tasks until they have paid back their debt to society and are once again ready to participate in our robust free-market economy. But at the same time, we must make sure that whatever prison they are sent to has plasma-screen TVs and Wi-Fi in every cell, and that the inmates are encouraged, by highly paid professional psychologists, to express their feelings in improv role-playing classes and short-fiction workshops. Because if I even suspect that prisoners are receiving anything less than top-shelf treatment, I'll be the first to show up with a picket sign marching for their rights. Rapists and murderers are people, too—just as cats and dogs are.

And how do I know I'll be the first to arrive at that picket line? Well, I'll have a special pass providing me with access to an elite, privatized system of roads. Yes, I believe roads should be privatized—as should fire departments, law enforcement, and basic water and sewer infrastructure. But I also believe the traditional "nuclear" family is an inadequate social safety net, and that every baby born should be raised by at least 14 people, including at least four gay men and/or lesbians. And Marxism should be taught in schools. But there should be no public schools. And everyone should be required by law to participate in women's empowerment seminars. But the heavily armed stormtroopers enforcing this law should be independent contractors. Down with the fat cats living high off government subsidies! Hands off my individualized, personal Larry-dollars! And also, hands off my uterus. Just because I'm a "man" doesn't mean I can't have a uterus. (Everyone knows so-called "normative" gender differentiations are merely a construct of the Oppressor Hegemony.)

And don't even get me started on public transportation.

So, in conclusion: the African-American community will never receive justice until there is an armed insurrection against Whitey in the streets, Pepsi-Cola should run our government, the elderly are our greatest national resource except for child labor, which I support, slavery should be legalized, as well as rape, and if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! It's not the government's job to pamper you and hold your hand unless you want funding for a massive public arts project that involves a giant pile of human feces shaped like the American flag, in which case nothing should stand in the way of your First Amendment rights.

I only wish there were more people out there as open-minded as I am.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

You mean Top Gun?

I thought that was just an ad for the Air Force and beachball volleyOH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

... and yes.
    Oh come on, no Last Action Queero? Also.. Bottom Gun.. heeeeeeee ^_________^

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BigBear wrote: »

It's also come to my attention recently that Tyler's producer, Syd tha Kyd, is apparently a lesbian herself. I do not, by any means, think that lets Tyler off the hook with this stuff, but it does, along with all the praise they're getting from critics, listeners and the industry, make me wonder if there's something more to Tyler and Odd Future than the punk-ass skater kids I see on the surface.

I think there is. For all his shock lyrics, he goes pretty far out of the way in Goblin to point out that a lot of what he says is hyperbolic or completely made up. I remember him coming out against Prop 8, so that's something.

Now, whether or not his lyrics influence others negatively might be another conversation, but I feel like the album is a little more intelligent than Sara gives it credit for.

Onto another celebrity remark:

Charles Barkley on reported homophobia in sports:
    “First of all, every player has played with gay guys. It bothers me when I hear these reporters and jocks get on TV and say: ‘Oh, no guy can come out in a team sport. These guys would go crazy.’ First of all, quit telling me what I think. I’d rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can’t play.”

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't really care if Tyler is an actual homophobe or a hipster homophobe. Neither one is okay.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

You mean Top Gun?

... and yes.
    Oh come on, no Last Action Queero? Also.. Bottom Gun.. heeeeeeee ^_________^

Let's be all inclusive here.

Bi Hard.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

“Shut up and jam.”

Mars on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Has the It's Okay to be Takei store been linked?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Giving this a quote, because I thought it was pretty darn important. And really frustrating too. Some of those comments (both on the original review and on the linked Kotaku article) basically boil down to "we find the existence of this transperson to be an annoyance, please fire her or have her kill herself."

But, hooray for Takei! And Charles Barkley too!

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Giving this a quote, because I thought it was pretty darn important. And really frustrating too. Some of those comments (both on the original review and on the linked Kotaku article) basically boil down to "we find the existence of this transperson to be an annoyance, please fire her or have her kill herself."

But, hooray for Takei! And Charles Barkley too!

The funny thing is that Kotaku really isn't the site to wag the finger of shame at anyone, I've seen them perpetuate the same kind of hatred before to disgusting levels.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In user comments or actual articles though?

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In user comments or actual articles though?

Article, then letting the comments run absolutely batshit insane wild without because of the article they wrote, and not doing a damn thing about them.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Can you link me an example? I wouldn't be surprised if a contributor to Kotaku is transphobic, just disappointed. Lord knows a few of them are pretty sexist.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mars wrote: »

“Shut up and jam.”

You won't feel that way when he does the Chaos Dunk and kills millions.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Can you link me an example? I wouldn't be surprised if a contributor to Kotaku is transphobic, just disappointed. Lord knows a few of them are pretty sexist.

I said same kind, not same subject. I know I'm opening myself up to ridicule for posting this, but I'll just repost a journal I wrote on the topic elsewhere. I apologize in advance to anybody that gets grossed out.
    http://kotaku.com/#!5793660/self+professed-furry-charged-with-xbox-live-child-abuse

Read the article, and tell me where the fact that the guy perpetrating the crime was a furry has anything to do with anything?

Now I'm going to just crib a couple of my comments from the article rather than rewrite them basically if you don't mind.

"I loath to ask what furry has to do if anything with the article in question? If the situation was different would the article title have been, "Self-Professed Bicycle Enthusiast Charged With Xbox Live Child Abuse."? This smacks of very attention grabbing, dishonest and unscrupulous reporting to me.

If what is mentioned in the headline has absolutely ZERO to do with the article what is the point of mentioning it in the first place unless you want nothing more than to garner more hits via an inflammatory title? Have you seen what the comments section of this article has devolved to, and what percentage of comments have anything to do with the actual crime that took place? Kotaku knew full well what it was doing."

This is an article about a man that found a kid to molest via Xbox live. Kotaku's kiddy pool depth of research into the guy found out that he was a furry, and while it had nothing to do with the crime in question they felt it necessary latch onto that and to plaster it into the article headline for hits. They did this so that while reporting on a horrible pedophilic act, they can also take a jab at furries, and frankly sit back while the comments section exploded with a level of hatred that would have people be getting banned left and right on any other site were it about any other topic or group. They knew full well what they were up to and as such had a transparent and weak attempt to dodge culpability by putting a token, "Oh but I don't hate furries" comment right at the end of the article, while opening the floodgates for everybody else to say it for them. I'm not saying they set out to write an article to bash furries, but the moment they found out that they could possibly tie them into their article somehow you know damn well they bent over backwards to make it work.

This isn't the first time either, a short time ago they posted a video of a fursuiter doing amazing DDR runs for charity. At first it was a nice little article about a gamerfur, but they just couldn't help themselves and later just had to add the tag to the article above the headline, "Can't Unsee." Really Kotaku, what's so "can't unsee" about a guy in a costume dancing for charity?

It isn't just bad reporting, it's irresponsible reporting. I've worked for a few media outlets in this industry in my day, some smaller and some much larger than Kotaku, and frankly I would have known better, they should have too. They should be ashamed of themselves for taking an already largely hated and misunderstood group and just helping foster that hatred by finding a way to tack the word furry next to the word pedophile. I'm a furry, and I'm also a victim of violent and sexual child abuse, so to have the two put together like that just hurts. Though let's see how quick they would be to post an article titled, "Gamer uses games to molest children."

Stuff like this posted on very large blog sites don't help our community, they hurt it severely, but I don't think they have that presence of mind when posting these things. I mean just looking at the comment section of the article, be sure to hit show all comments, and see the level of hatred and vitriol. I'm not talking about the typical, "Fucking furfags!" or "Kill it with fire." comments, but people trolling or sincere are posting in a belief that all furries are sexual deviants, pedophiles and rapists, and Kotaku is allowing these comments! Check out the comment tree from my posts and you'll see a few appalling replies.

Please, tell me what you think of this whole situation, and if you think that crap like this is unacceptable please repost this and link my journal in your own with your own thoughts and feelings on the matter.

Edit: They can't leave well enough alone, the very next day they post an update on the article and once again within the first sentence just have to point out that he is a furry.
    http://kotaku.com/#!5793879/digital-dragnet-cast-for-more-victims-of-accused-xbox-pedophile

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't want us to derail the thread but I suppose this can all be summarized as thus: many gamers are bullies, bigots, or immensely immature & rude people. Many of these people post comments on articles and some of them post news articles or blog posts on gaming websites. This of course paints a bad picture of the gaming community, and frustrates many gamers. Hell, we've had a few threads in the past discussing this very topic.

I would say there is not much we can do besides maintaining a modicum of maturity and telling these people to stop, or banning them if they persist. Treat them like bullies, and not bully them back. (Physical threats of violence should not be seen as unimportant, though. Such threats deserve a more serious response.)

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't want us to derail the thread but I suppose this can all be summarized as thus: many gamers are bullies, bigots, or immensely immature & rude people. Many of these people post comments on articles and some of them post news articles or blog posts on gaming websites. This of course paints a bad picture of the gaming community, and frustrates many gamers. Hell, we've had a few threads in the past discussing this very topic.

I would say there is not much we can do besides maintaining a modicum of maturity and telling these people to stop, or banning them if they persist. Treat them like bullies, and not bully them back. (Physical threats of violence should not be seen as unimportant, though. Such threats deserve a more serious response.)

I wouldn't say it's exactly off topic as there is a lot of gay community crossover.

Anyway I'd call this entire article a situation of Kotaku setting up the pins and then sitting back and watching as the commenters knocked them down. They did it on purpose, and not just that, but they worked really hard at working something into the article that had nothing to do with it JUST so they could do that and foster unwarranted hatred. It's pretty sickening regardless of the subject.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    2gt3cqe.jpg

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I'm not going to sleep too poorly tonight thinking that Tyler is a piece of shit, because, well, he's a piece of shit.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ultimately the actions & words of people like Tyler and hateful, anonymous posters on the internet are all about making others feel subhuman and reaffirming the speaker's mental picture of the minority as subhuman... and it also reaffirms their mental image of themselves as the head honcho, if you will.

It's amazing and depressing how diverse bullying can be. But I digress, this is not the bullying thread.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Likely showing my cultural ignorance, but who the fuck is 'Tyler'?

Invisible on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    check the last page

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Hmm...There are a few articles I remember coming across but I am quite knackered trying to find them...take a look through Squirminator's blog- I remember seeing a few things pop up there that made my eye twitch in regards to transpeople.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, no, this is good.

Nobody who gives a shit about rap is going to care about anyone with a beef against Tegan and fucking Sara, and all the hipsters and cool kids who know Tegan & Sara are definitely going to side with them.

To put it this way, "Popular art rock band, who is friends with people like Jack White" will always trump "attention seeking immature homophobe."

Atomika on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Basically the day when the gender/sex/orientation of the person is irrelevant to the story. Race would be nice too.

Did you see Cthulhu? It got panned but I thought it was a great movie (except for Tori Spelling) and it pretty much did what you said.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Did you see Cthulhu? It got panned but I thought it was a great movie (except for Tori Spelling) and it pretty much did what you said.

I did not. A quick imdb search shows you're talking about the 2007 edition, which further browsing shows not to be available on netflix.ca (I can't wait for their movies/shows available to have a vastly better selection), but I can probably find on ebay or amazon or something. Thanks for the heads up! (though for clarity, I was more noting a desire for the day when society no longer gave a shit about people's orientation than a burning desire to see a dude fight to save a dude, but knowing that such movies are being made is heartening)
    Blackjack wrote: »

We cannae do it captain... too... much... awesome.

And the proceeds are going to charity? That settles it, if S&H isn't horrific I'm snagging a shirt to wear at Pride this year.

... though I am tempted to get one custom made for an idea I had a while back as well.

Forar on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Secondly, drawing the line between what is completely acceptable speech and what isn't is tricky. Legally, the line has been drawn, but it's still something that's up for debate. Like you said, as it is right now, it's basically just at the "threats and incitements of violence". I personally think the line is drawn well enough like that, but the fact that some people in this thread disagree proves that A) It's a tricky line to draw and B) It's still a topic of debate.

It's not a tricky line to draw. But it's a topic of debate because people mean different things when they say 'hate speech'. Most people, I would guess, take that to mean 'speech that is hateful'. Which is different than actionable speech - that is, speech where the law should get involved. If Bob writes a newspaper column saying "I hate queers," that's hateful, but perfectly legal. If he regularly makes derogatory comments to a gay co-worker about her sexual orientation and supposed habits, Bob may be guilty of harassment and may get fired (and the co-worker could sue him if, say, Bob forced her to quit her job), but he wouldn't be guilty of a crime. If Bob told his co-worker "All lesbians need is a good raping, so watch your back" that might well be a criminal threat. It's not that the lines are fuzzy or that this is tricky, but people tend to lump all this together as "hate speech".

We have a debate about this in the US primarily because bigots like to pretend that social condemnation of their hate speech is the exact same thing as legal condemnation of their actions; that's why they whine about their "First Amendment Rights" and "criminalizing Christian beliefs".

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Except that "we" should also include people and sources (like Kotaku) that are prominent in the gaming community. When a game company or a website whistles and twiddles its thumbs and mumbles "yo, pagehits", that's not at all the same as accepting that you can't fix everyone. Applying the banhammer, shutting down threads, or telling silly geese to STFU or GTFO sends a message that such behavior is shitty, and not merely one more contribution to the rich panoply of gaming culture that we should all respect.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Hey I was thinking the same thing!

Arch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, no, this is good.

Nobody who gives a shit about rap is going to care about anyone with a beef against Tegan and fucking Sara, and all the hipsters and cool kids who know Tegan & Sara are definitely going to side with them.

To put it this way, "Popular art rock band, who is friends with people like Jack White" will always trump "attention seeking immature homophobe."
    But...white hipsters make up like 90% of Tyler's audience.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited May 2011

We cannae do it captain... too... much... awesome.

And the proceeds are going to charity? That settles it, if S&H isn't horrific I'm snagging a shirt to wear at Pride this year.

... though I am tempted to get one custom made for an idea I had a while back as well.
    Yeah I was initially torn between ordering one of these or a gayroller shirt for Pride, but since this goes to charity, the choice is easy.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited May 2011
    No, no, this is good.

Yes, but those hipsters probably make up less than 1% of all hipsters, and are never going to condone open homophobia. Especially after this week.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I was initially torn between ordering one of these or a gayroller shirt for Pride, but since this goes to charity, the choice is easy.

:^:

Shirt bought, I'll be nerdin' up pride in style this year.

They say 2-3 weeks for shipping, so if anyone else feels so inclined, now's a good time to get your order in.

Also, S&H to Canada was only $6, which is pretty nice (just paid $13 S&H to get 2 shirts from Bioware, and like $27 in S&H to Valve for a mug, shirt and hat. They need to get some distribution centers north of your boarder ffs)

Forar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, no, this is good.

Yes, but those hipsters probably make up less than 1% of all hipsters, and are never going to condone open homophobia. Especially after this week.
    I dunno, I mean I'd say hipster racists will probably do the same sort of thing with homophobia.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

This discussion has been closed.