As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

System hard locks up when using internet

Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I just got a new pre-built computer with a 580gtx and a 2600k 3.4ghz along with 8 gigs of ram running on Windows 7 64 bit. It's only 4 days old, and multiple times now when doing things like browsing the internet or downloading a game on Steam, it'll all of a sudden go into a hard lock up. Mouse is frozen, keyboard doesn't respond. Only thing I can do is force the system to shut down and then start it back up again. I've already talked to tech support for hours about this. All the power settings are at maximum performance, the video card cpu and HD have been stress tested with no errors showing up at all, and RAM isn't a problem because there's no blue or black screen, the image just straight up freezes. I changed my graphics drivers back to WHQL ones instead of beta drivers, and it still does it. Did a scandisk, defrag, everything maintenance wise. Does anyone have any idea what it could be at this point? The only thing the lockups have in common is every time I've been connected to the internet. I have Avast free antivirus and have run multiple scans of everything, no viruses.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this.

Hank_Scorpio on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm fairly certain it's not the Internet, but if you want to test that, just unplug your Ethernet and see if that helps.

When it doesn't, your next step is figuring out what is the culprit. When it hard locks, does sound keep going? I'm guessing no, but if the answer is yes, let us know. Either way, RAM is definitely a possibility even if there's no blue or black screen. Try taking out all but one stick, and then moving that stick around.

I'd probably also reseat the 580gtx just to see if that helps.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Make sure you try pulling out even stupid things that you wouldn't expect to lock the system. When we had a dying motherboard that tried to take other components with it, a fried DVD drive kept the system from even hitting Windows if it was plugged in (whining about a hardware error that forced it to shut down), and when we pulled the sound card as we moved the hard drive into another temporary machine, it caused sporadic blue-screening in a different machine that had literally never blue-screened, which we only realized when it coincidentally died when we booted into XP instead of 7, and refused to install drivers for it no matter what we did.

Have you tried booting with absolute minimum components (including the above-mentioned), and running for a while, then gradually adding more components until the problem shows up? Seeing if it does it even on just the video card (presumably there's no onboard video) and one stick of RAM? It must be pretty frequent if you've seen it over the mere four days you've had the machine, after all. Naturally, you might wanna double-check your temperatures and the components that keep them low, if you haven't.

Essee on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are you using an ATI video card?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

"I just got a new pre-built computer with a 580gtx"

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I ran memtest and tons of BIOS tests, everything passed. When it freezes, everything freezes, including sound. I've figured out how to recreate the lock up guaranteed now, though. When I run the windows experience index it hard locks at the CPU part towards the end. The mouse starts chugging a little bit (as if it's moving at 2 or 3 frames per second) right before it hard locks during the test. This never happens for every other test I've run, BIOS and CPU stress tests included. I've checked temperatures and they're all fine, and the fan is working properly.

I'm sick of dealing with Dell tech support (it's an Alienware Aurora R3), they have no idea how to help me. They're all outsourced people who speak english terribly and read off scripts. They refuse to send someone in person to help troubleshoot it, and since I have no idea how to work with the insides of a computer (reseating video cards and stuff) my only option is going to be returning it unless the "senior" tech support guy who's supposed to call tomorrow figures it out.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Esh wrote: »

I don't know what that means, all I know is ATI or NVidia or whatever.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I don't know what that means, all I know is ATI or NVidia or whatever.

Nvidia 580gtx 1.5gb

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Reseating video cards is about as tough as opening your car with your car key. Open up your computer, unscrew any screws holding the video card down, unplug anything plugged into the card, push the little plastic tab on the motherboard away from the video card a bit, and pull it own. Then push it back in and screw it back in and plug it back in. The RAM is even easier: just move the little plastic clips away, pull it out, then push it back in. Find some videos on YouTube if you're scared.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Update your NIC (network hardware) drivers to latest. If they are already latest, try an alternate one from a recent version. See if that fixes it. Can also try, in Device Manager, go to properties for it, turn off anything with "___ checksum" or "___ offloading" and restart.

You'd be surprised how many times I've seen similar issues with my own system or others where it's a great machine but crippled by an onboard network connection because of shitty driver issues. When I am at a loss and notice "hey, when I start and load game X, it pretty much consistently breaks everything, but only this one" etc. it's often this kinda shit.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You're probably using the built-in nic. Since you've gone over everything else, I would try picking up a cheap PCI nic and see if that makes any difference. If it still locks up you can always take it back. If it works then it's the nic bridge.

I'm assuming you've stressed everything else like running 3Dmark. That's guaranteed to bring it to its knees performance wise. Sandra is also good for testing various components.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The windows experience index CPU assessment is killing it every time no matter what I do, and it's locked up once tonight while browsing facebook. My NIC driver is up to date but I'll try changing it to an older one. The weird thing about this whole lockup problem is that sometimes the computer goes into sleep mode, disabling the mouse and keyboard and turning yellow (the lights turn yellow for sleep mode). Usually it just locks up and the mouse and keyboard stay lit.

I've already had to force restart the PC at least 10-15 times since ive gotten it and at this point I think I'm just going to ask for a replacement. For all I know, the parts have been permanently degraded because of the lock ups.

edit: And yeah, I ran 3Dmark and it worked fine.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The parts haven't been degraded because of lock ups. Reseat your shit.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If the CPU assessment is killing it every time, even when not connected to the net you've already eliminated the net and quite possibly identified the problem as relating to the CPU. Do you have a way to monitor the CPU heat levels?

If you can easily return/replace the computer then I guess that works, but reseating stuff is a good idea too.

Raern on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Raern wrote: »
    If the CPU assessment is killing it every time, even when not connected to the net you've already eliminated the net and quite possibly identified the problem as relating to the CPU. Do you have a way to monitor the CPU heat levels?

If you can easily return/replace the computer then I guess that works, but reseating stuff is a good idea too.

Yeah, I was even monitoring heat levels as it was doing the test and nothing crazy was happening. I've even ran more stressful tests like 3Dmark and sandra, and it was fine with those. Could this be something fixable with a reformat? Or should I reseat the CPU?

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You could reseat the CPU, although to do that you'd probably be best off reapplying the thermal paste, but the Windows Experience thing is hardly a professional benchmark and we don't know if it's only messing with the CPU when it does that benchmark thing. The easiest things to reseat are the GPU and the RAM, and I guess while you're at it, reseat all the PCI cards you've got and check all the cables in the computer.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know, you just bought the computer. I wouldn't even touch it, and demand that they replace it for you. You haven't even had it for a week! It's definitely not your problem.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In my experience, complete and total system freezes with a frozen picture, no blue screens, sounds, or error messages of any kind are usually CPU related. Make sure the fan is working and re-seat the CPU and fan. Make sure you remove any thermal paste and apply new thermal paste.
    If the computer is new, like finalflight89 said, this is not your problem. If you're not 100% comfortable working on it or you don't have things like thermal paste make them fix it. Don't let them try to troubleshoot it, just tell them it doesn't work and you want one that does.

LD50 on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know, you just bought the computer. I wouldn't even touch it, and demand that they replace it for you. You haven't even had it for a week! It's definitely not your problem.

I agree with this, actually. We're talking about a pre-built PC here and someone who by their own admission isn't comfortable working inside a computer. Don't risk doing something where the company will tell you to screw off because you've opened up the case and messed around. Just go back to them and demand a replacement machine if their "third level" can't fix the problem (if they call).

twmjr on
  • Options
    Surt.QSurt.Q Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    If you crack open that case, it voids the warranty. So I would suggest demanding a replacement instead of reseating anything.

Surt.Q on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I had to pay $90 just to get to talk to North American tech support who speak english for their first language, the basic tech was doing absolutely nothing for me for 3 days in a row. Dell is fucking bullshit for charging extra for this.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I had to pay $90 just to get to talk to North American tech support who speak english for their first language, the basic tech was doing absolutely nothing for me for 3 days in a row. Dell is fucking bullshit for charging extra for this.
    Complain. Complain a lot. Get your computer fixed and get your $90 back. There is absolutely no reason why you should have to pay for any of this as they're the ones who sold you a defective product.

LD50 on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You uhh, shouldn't be paying a dime. For any of it. Get it returned if they're not going to help you.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've been complaining for 2 hours. I can't get to talk to anyone besides india script reading people. This is a nightmare. No matter what I can't get to anyone from Dell that isn't an outsourced idiot.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been complaining for 2 hours. I can't get to talk to anyone besides india script reading people. This is a nightmare. No matter what I can't get to anyone from Dell that isn't an outsourced idiot.

Send it back. It's your only real solution.

Also, you're coming off as more than a little racist here. Might want to dial it back a little.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Send it back. It's your only real solution.

Also, you're coming off as more than a little racist here. Might want to dial it back a little.

They are from india and they speak english terribly, that's not racism, it's a fact. It's frustrating having to deal with them for hours.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    After 3 hours of talking on the phone, I have successfully ordered a replacement. Hopefully this time everything is running as it should.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Do you have a manager that I can speak to?"

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    After 3 hours of talking on the phone, I have successfully ordered a replacement. Hopefully this time everything is running as it should.

Did you get your $90 back?

LD50 on