As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Reading Philosophy

MimMim I prefer my lovers…dead.Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello H/A!

I'm taking a History of Criticism course that has me reading several different philosophers (Marx, Kant, Nietzsche, Freud) and the way they write has me confused or missing important explanations and so forth. I felt this way when reading feminist texts as I'm pretty sure I understand the words on their own, but in a sentence it sounds like gibberish. I'm an English major and not a Philosophy major so I'm not really used to running into these kind of sentences (though my other classmates seem to understand the texts, making me feel incompetent).

Any tips to better understand what exactly they're writing amidst the confusing sentences?

Mim on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just keep plugging away at it. Philosophers in general (and 18th/19th century German philosophers in particular) pride themselves upon being fucking impenetrably cryptic in their academic works. Nietzsche should be the most accessible of those in your list. Go to office hours or start a study group with some other students to spread the misery a bit.

Djeet on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Djeet wrote: »
    Just keep plugging away at it. Philosophers in general (and 18th/19th century German philosophers in particular) pride themselves upon being fucking impenetrably cryptic in their academic works. Nietzsche should be the most accessible of those in your list. Go to office hours or start a study group with some other students to spread the misery a bit.

So just keep re-reading the text till I understand it?

Mim on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mim wrote: »
    Djeet wrote: »

So just keep re-reading the text till I understand it?

Yep. Read it reallllly slowly and chew up each sentence in your head until it makes sense.

Barring that, email your prof with questions or find a tutor.

Esh on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's pretty much what I had to do. If a section got me too frustrated I'd skip it and come back later with fresh eyes. I found Kant and Hegel to be pretty much unreadable for the first week or 2 and often looked to classroom lecture/discussion for guidance on which areas of the text I should focus on. After awhile it does get easier, and you can tell whether a particular passage is important, but there will still be times where you wonder why the fuck they are making it so difficult. Also having someone else to talk to who's working through the same text helps. There are digests and interpretations you could buy or find online (the equivalent of cliff's notes), but I'd steer clear of those unless you had no other option.

Djeet on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do you have a helpful roommate, pet fish, small child, or fluffy cat available? If so, after every paragraph of the text - or even after every couple of sentences, if they're especially dense - stop reading, turn to your listener, and explain to them the passage you just read, using your own words as much as possible. The simple act of teaching material to someone else is the best way to learn it, by far.

So, if you read this:
    That all our knowledge begins with experience there can be no doubt. For how is it possible that the faculty of cognition should be awakened into exercise otherwise than by means of objects which affect our senses, and partly of themselves produce representations, partly rouse our powers of understanding into activity, to compare to connect, or to separate these, and so to convert the raw material of our sensuous impressions into a knowledge of objects, which is called experience?

You would simplify the concepts when explaining it to your roommate/fish/toddler/cat, think of examples to illustrate it, and say something like this:
    Fact: everything we know starts with experience. How do we know this, Mrs. Fluffykins? Because we can't think about something without having first experienced it through our senses. You didn't know what a mouse was when you were born, but after seeing a mouse - and catching it, and playing with it, and eating it - you developed a practical understanding of mouseness, which you were then able to generalize into a theoretical idea of what a mouse is (small, furry, delicious), which, in turn, you can compare and contrast with your knowledge of other animals, like weasels (small, furry, will fuck you up). In short, you have knowledge of mice now, but that knowledge only began when you first experienced them.

Is it a little ridiculous? Well, sure. But I guarantee you that you'll remember Mrs. Fluffykins' process of gaining knowledge of mice far long than you'll remember Kant's wall o' text.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are you getting a lecture about the material, or is this purely a seminar? If you are getting a lecture, read the material through once before the lecture and then immediately after. It will help with comprehension.

Also, you may want to look into secondary sources. There can be some pretty decent introductions (at least at the undergraduate level) for just about everyone you listed. Ask your instructor and/or TA for recommendations.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    saggio wrote: »
    Are you getting a lecture about the material, or is this purely a seminar? If you are getting a lecture, read the material through once before the lecture and then immediately after. It will help with comprehension.

Also, you may want to look into secondary sources. There can be some pretty decent introductions (at least at the undergraduate level) for just about everyone you listed. Ask your instructor and/or TA for recommendations.

We read and get homework and then have the lecture, which is why I definitely want to better understand the text. Our lectures are kind of subpar. He goes really fast and often interjects personal stories into the lecture without skipping a beat. He kept calling Freud, Kant yesterday, and he often says "I hope you don't ask me a question about 'x' because I really don't know." He also keeps wondering why we're not laughing at his jokes...

As for secondary sources, I wanted to use the Stanford philosophy dictionary but I had another teacher tell me that there was a section that was incorrect, so it's not very good. I've been using wikipedia but they often don't have enough information.

I kind of just wish there was a "'X Philosopher' for Dummies" or something.

Mim on
  • Options
    Green DreamGreen Dream Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As you are reading, you may want to develop a lexicon of key terms for each one. Reading philosophy is often confusing for people who aren't used to it because words like "concept", "idea", "experience", "category", have very specific and complicated meanings unique to each philosopher. Through reading their texts, if you just keep pushing ahead, eventually you will learn to understand what they're talking about just by going through the motions. Eventually enough context will pile up for you to understand what's going on. But if you consciously organize yourself to make a dictionary of key terms, you'll likely find that understanding comes faster and you'll be able to explain it to others more clearly.

Most of the time when we read, we take the actual words for granted. We just glide by the words, and a general sense of their meaning is all we need to be clear on what story or information is being given to us by the text. (After all, do you need to fully understand the biology of horses to know what it means when you're reading a story about a horse? No - a vague sense of what a horse is, what it does, and what it is used for is all you need - no actual experience or in-depth knowledge of what object we mean by "horse" is reqired.) You can't realy do this when reading a philosophical work you are unfamiliar with, because the key terms all have very specific meanings that you must understand in order to follow the logical movement of the text. You need a precise understanding of these words in order to understand what is the text has to say - but spelling out the precise meaning of a word is a hard undertaking, because you have to see how it related to everything else - you need a FULL understanding of the meaning of the word. Hence the need to build up evidence for each term to show how they relate to each other. Once you have the definitions of key terms, you have the key to the philosophy (of course, you still need a logically rigorous mind to understand how these terms organize and link together to lead to the conclusions - but that's the fun part).

Green Dream on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    saggio wrote: »

We read and get homework and then have the lecture, which is why I definitely want to better understand the text. Our lectures are kind of subpar. He goes really fast and often interjects personal stories into the lecture without skipping a beat. He kept calling Freud, Kant yesterday, and he often says "I hope you don't ask me a question about 'x' because I really don't know." He also keeps wondering why we're not laughing at his jokes...

As for secondary sources, I wanted to use the Stanford philosophy dictionary but I had another teacher tell me that there was a section that was incorrect, so it's not very good. I've been using wikipedia but they often don't have enough information.

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is sometimes bad, but it's usually fairly good and it's rarelyc ompletely incorrect. Don't take it as god given truth or anything, but if you find it helpful, use it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You might want to take a look at the "Introducing..." series. As (very) basic introductory guides go, they're some of the best I've seen, and there's one dedicated to every thinker you mention in your original post.

Burnage on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is sometimes bad, but it's usually fairly good and it's rarelyc ompletely incorrect. Don't take it as god given truth or anything, but if you find it helpful, use it.

In general, Wikipedia articles on philosophy are very bad. There are a few good ones, but the bulk are either confused, confusing, or false.

In general, articles in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy are quite good. They're at least peer-reviewed and written by knowledgeable members of the field. There are a few bad ones, but the bulk are quite helpful. I've taken more than one graduate philosophy course that began by assigning a handful of SEP articles to ensure that everyone was up to speed with the basic positions on some topic.

As for how to read the actual text, some of the advice here is quite good; stopping and rehearsing to yourself -- or even writing down in your own words -- the point of the last paragraph is usually a good way to proceed. The biggest thing to learn is to slow down. Philosophical ideas, even when presented by a relatively clear writer (which few of the greats are), take time to digest. I know a number of professional philosophers who rarely read more than 8-10 pages in an hour; any faster and you'll miss the subtleties in the argument.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hello H/A!

I'm taking a History of Criticism course that has me reading several different philosophers (Marx, Kant, Nietzsche, Freud) and the way they write has me confused or missing important explanations and so forth. I felt this way when reading feminist texts as I'm pretty sure I understand the words on their own, but in a sentence it sounds like gibberish. I'm an English major and not a Philosophy major so I'm not really used to running into these kind of sentences (though my other classmates seem to understand the texts, making me feel incompetent).

Any tips to better understand what exactly they're writing amidst the confusing sentences?

Kate's advice is really good. The only thing i'd add to it is that sometimes they really are just wrong or full of B.S. Students of philosophers sometimes like to talk about philosophers as if they could all be correct and they understand them all equally. Philisopher's worldviews colide on any number of stated or implied ways and sometimes they're internally gibberish too - certainly with critical theory this is the case. The sokol hoax being a prime example of contentless syntax hoodwinking critical theorists. I would try to engage them on their own terms. Knowing when you don't understand something, though, is the surest sign you're thinking about something.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Burnage wrote: »

You might want to take a look at the "Introducing..." series. As (very) basic introductory guides go, they're some of the best I've seen, and there's one dedicated to every thinker you mention in your original post.

This. I own "Introducing Chaos" and it was a fantastic read. Furthermore it was so jam packed with information I could hardly call it "basic" because it touched on so many facets of chaos theory...but it was all written in a relatively easy to explain manner.

And I've been there, OP: I took a philosophy course in Knowledge and Reality and it was great stuff to talk about but by god I couldn't be a philosophy academic.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I bought a sparkchart on philosophy to help me out a little bit. I'm going to try to re-read their works but I'm typically time constrained. I'll definitely try though. Right now we're reading Sausser.

Also, is there a reason philosophers write in this manner? Is "common" writing frowned upon? I know Wordsworth hailed the usage of common language that men use, but he didn't write that way for the piece I read. (This is a sincere questions, I don't mean to sound like an asshole if I come off that way)

I don't know, I aced the last class I took that dealt with philosophy but that teacher gave notes and knew how hard it was for us and definitely tried to explain what we were talking about so that we understood it completely. This teacher, not so much. I think I'd be bugged less if he gave us the homework after we did the lecture and I'd feel less incompetent.

Mim on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bear in mind that a lot of the stuff you're studying was written a century or two ago, often in languages other than English. Even reading a novel from that time period can be difficult - I mean, Tristram Shandy was written in English in the 1760s, just a couple of decades before Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason," and it was intended to be light, humorous entertainment. By modern standards, though, it is some dense shit.

Now picture it written in German, translated, and instead of being silly stories about an English family, it's about intricate philosophical concepts relating to perception, logic, and the nature of reality. At that point, that shit is thick enough to walk on.

Philosophers don't go out of their way to be dicks to their readers, or anything: the difficulty level is a byproduct of the age of the writing, the awkwardness of any translation, and sometimes just the complexity of the concepts being conveyed.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Marx I don't find to be overly tough in terms of his writing, but like Kate has pointed out it comes from hundreds of years ago in another language. Kant was a notoriously shitty writer, like, really really bad. Nietzsche wasn't really focused on being clear so much as he was focused on being correct/awesome. Freud was a nutter.

There are plenty of philosophers that write extremely clearly, at least insofar as they're able to, because like Kate has also pointed out, philosophy usually deals with fairly complex issues.

It also depends on what you find easy to read or not: I find John Stuart Mill pretty simple, for instance, but he writes sentences that would be better off as their own books. I've heard people say that Rousseau writes very clearly and distinctly (even when translated into English) and that he is therefore fun to read, but I don't really see that.

Modern philosophy, or at least modern philosophy that isn't shitty, aims to be clear, and although not all philosophers are good writers, there are plenty of them who are, and they manage to be quite straightforward (IMHO).

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bought a sparkchart on philosophy to help me out a little bit. I'm going to try to re-read their works but I'm typically time constrained. I'll definitely try though. Right now we're reading Sausser.

Also, is there a reason philosophers write in this manner? Is "common" writing frowned upon? I know Wordsworth hailed the usage of common language that men use, but he didn't write that way for the piece I read. (This is a sincere questions, I don't mean to sound like an asshole if I come off that way)

I don't know, I aced the last class I took that dealt with philosophy but that teacher gave notes and knew how hard it was for us and definitely tried to explain what we were talking about so that we understood it completely. This teacher, not so much. I think I'd be bugged less if he gave us the homework after we did the lecture and I'd feel less incompetent.

quinepix.jpg
    Word-and-Object-Quine-W-V-9780262670012.jpg

There's a line that I quite enjoy: analytic philosophers express very complex ideas in the simplest possible language, while continental philosophers express very simple ideas in the most complex possible language.

It's not all that true, but seriously compare Quine's writing to something like Gaytari Spivak. Both notable thinkers from the 20th Century, both fairly well respected in their fields, and both influential in their areas of interest. Their styles, however, couldn't be more different. When you read Quine, your palate is truly cleansed.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kant was fucking ridiculous and I hate trying to slog through his stuff. Good lord.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    RedjarRedjar Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Edit: Post removed by user.

Redjar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I try hard to not write in my text books, but I'll start doing it.

I just don't want the book store to turn me away when I try to return the books at the end of the semester :P

Mim on
  • Options
    RedjarRedjar Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Edit: Post removed by user.

Redjar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Get a little soft-leaded pencil and write in the margins. They'll be easily erasable, and you can study from the notes while they're there.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    AlgrunAlgrun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was a philosophy major and philosophy seminars that cover multiple writers are the toughest classes, so I feel your pain. Maybe try to find a major in the department who wouldn't mind chatting with you about particular philosophers? If it's anything like it was in my day, most philosophy majors are more than happy to talk at great length (bring a snack and maybe a pillow) about their favorite philosophers. Honestly, there's no easy way to get into this stuff. You just have to spend time with it, and keep yourself oriented-- that means, be aware of the vocabulary, the translation, and the historical context. Nietzsche makes way more sense when you read Schopenhauer, Kant when you read Hume. You shouldn't do all that for a seminar in a subject you're not majoring in, but maybe try to find someone that can guide you a little bit. I used to help out freshman/sophomores for hours every day, just because I liked hearing myself talk.

Algrun on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Get a copy of this book and use it as a Cliff's Notes/study break.

I am serious. Aside from being hilarious, it gives a pretty accurate and succinct summary of the major ideas of each philosopher it covers. I've given it to friends of mine before when they were unwillingly stuck in philosophy classes.

Gaslight on