Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    Dances With MagpiesDances With Magpies Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was bored at work yesterday and doodled a fancy magic airship in ballpoint pen. First time I've ever drawn one, it was a fun experiment. I'm not crazy about the fancy bits on the top 'sail', it doesn't match the rest.

Airship_doodle.jpg

Dances With Magpies on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Your linework is excellent Magpies.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    uh, well space put the circles as you move away from the center bottom
    the pendulum accelerates swinging down, but decelerates swinging up, so you'd see fewer images per unit of distance

right now it looks like a sort of fan to me

While it's true that the pendulum decelerates near the top, I'm not sure I follow your logic about the spacing. If we were imagining that its motion was being captured by some sort of low framerate camera, there would be more images of it near the top and less near the bottom where it would be traveling further between each frame.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    the pendulum accelerates swinging down, but decelerates swinging up, so you'd see fewer images per unit of distance

While it's true that the pendulum decelerates near the top, I'm not sure I follow your logic about the spacing. If we were imagining that its motion was being captured by some sort of low framerate camera, there would be more images of it near the top and less near the bottom where it would be traveling further between each frame.
    FUCK you're right!
    Damn.... I just changed it all
    time_is_a_valuable_thing_by_emir0-d3e4ucu.png
    Farrrk :lol:

m3nace on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JohnTWM wrote: »

fucking balls, I got it backwards
    sorry, m3nace

Tam on
  • Options
    Dances With MagpiesDances With Magpies Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thank you!

Dances With Magpies on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man don't worry about it, my holiday just started that should be just enough time to fix it :P

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    this is the kind of thing that got me a B in Physics I

Tam on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2011
    So I saw MD's Street Fighter character design on her blog and wondered what it would look like if drawn closer to the Capcom character art style, with requisite Chun-Li thighs:
    MD_SF.jpg

This is actually the second pass, the first one I abandoned for being too Amazonian/roided-out/bodybuilderish, which I don't think quite fits with Melty's inherent cute qualities.
    MD_SFbuff.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    the break in style from the head to the rest of the body makes it seem a little wonky

body odor toilet paper

So I saw MD's Street Fighter character design on her blog and wondered what it would look like if drawn closer to the Capcom character art style, with requisite Chun-Li thighs:
    MD_SF.jpg

This is actually the second pass, the first one I abandoned for being too Amazonian/roided-out/bodybuilderish, which I don't think quite fits with Melty's inherent cute qualities.
    MD_SFbuff.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    <3<3

melting_doll on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dose thighs

jasmine2.jpg

almosstttt Need to clean up the carpet and a couple other things

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lookin' good Wak.

Finished the figure.

fa7e83eb13358c54661b78f2cb364261-d3e60t3.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    very nice

Tam on
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This page is starting to look pretty intimidating. Really nice stuff by everyone up there.

Had another try at the environment stuff, it's still a WIP but I'm not sure how to go any further with this. It just feels off in a way, and it's hard to see what to fix

conceptfornina.jpg

kevindee on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    robotwars01.jpg

Bah?

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Plugging along on this- changed the proportions from the more cartoonish 6 heads tall to 7 heads because the more rendering I put on it, the weirder and weirder it started looking. Still a lot of issues to work out, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the color scheme? I like the white and gold idea, but I feel like there needs to be something to make it work better, I'm planning on putting gold trim on the boots and that might help a bit, but I feel like I need to do something with that belt sash and hanging bit beyond just having them as solid colors (I'm sure there are real names for these bits of clothing but hell if I know what they are).

MD_SF_color1.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    maybe vertical gold stripes?

I feel like there needs to be a serious colour contrast somewhere, for interest's sake, but I'm not sure what or where. Maybe you could do something splashier on the shoes rather than just more gold. I think one of the problems might be that white and gold is a very ethereal combination, especially when the white is the predominant colour, and this chick is very not ethereal so it reads a little oddly.

also as Tam said, the head's all anime and the body's more western superhero style, which might end up working out fine but I think you may need to do something with the hair to make the transition flow better, maybe make it softer and more realistic.

tynic on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bah?
    o_O that's amazing!

And Wakkawa, i can't put my finger on exactly what you did, but the last few adjustments really improved the yasmine. Went from "okay for wakkawa" to "8-) 'how 'you doin'?"-great.
    Great lighting and details.

altough, after looking at it again her left boob may be a bit weirdly placed?
    But still. Awesome job on the colours as well.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Bah?

Bah? Lol, man, no bah. That's freakin' sweet.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    CM3k, awesome to see you post stuff! Even more awesome to see you post awesome stuff!

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    CMT, I love that. I love everything about it.

Tam on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Especially propeller-dick.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cyber, that is fantastic in so many ways.

Bacon, something about the girl's left shoulder rubs me the wrong way, the bit of cloth just on the shoulders just looks a bit..weird at a glance. Probably because she doesn't have it on her other shoulder. I like the colors though, I think you can get away with leaving the cloak thing white.

I'm also done with this, it's due tomorrow and I doubt I'd get any further with it so sack it:

conceptforninafinalsmal.jpg

kevindee on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cyber for king 2011

wakkawa on
  • Options
    GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Plugging along on this- changed the proportions from the more cartoonish 6 heads tall to 7 heads because the more rendering I put on it, the weirder and weirder it started looking. Still a lot of issues to work out, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the color scheme? I like the white and gold idea, but I feel like there needs to be something to make it work better, I'm planning on putting gold trim on the boots and that might help a bit, but I feel like I need to do something with that belt sash and hanging bit beyond just having them as solid colors (I'm sure there are real names for these bits of clothing but hell if I know what they are).

MD_SF_color1.jpg

Maybe at least a mock story could give you some more insight on the costume. I'll admit - some of street fighters designs are more about aesthetic then function, but a large part of them serve some function. What kind of fighting style, geographic background, up bringing, etc.

Otherwise, I think she's a cool character. Almost like a Wonder Woman vibe. I think anything else that'd make her stand out from the rest will go a long distance.

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, since it's based on MD's design based loosely on herself, I kinda don't want to stray too far from the original design or start making stuff up...MD, do you have any insight here?

Also on the anime face/comics body issue, I'm going to have the figure something out, possibly inking the thing to be more stylized- a lot of the Capcom character art has anime-style figures with more western-style coloring, so I'd like to figure out how to hit that balance here.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My friend had suggested to me that I try drawing myself as a Street Fighter. So I took my love for Chun Li (omg hottest role model) and vikings and combined them to make a chick that likes to punch stuff (which is what I'd do if I had the strength). Does that help?

Not sure I'd be able to contribute much in terms of color/design otherwise. But it's totally awesome to see you messing around with it, AoB :B

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    :D Glad you like it.

Vikings, eh? I can probably add some viking-type elements in there, I'll see what I can come up with.

Also, if you had the strength to punch things? What does that mean?
    MD_punch.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    that chick on the right is hot

Tam on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    More on Steve the manatee.

stevethemanatee.jpg

Obilex on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The glow makes it look like he's watching TV.

MKR on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    he is! I still need to make the tv more apparent, and figure out how to fit a sweatband on his fat head. I might have to just settle for wrist bands.

Obilex on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yeah you ain't gettin no headband on that

Tam on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What'd you do to make that texture? None of my stuff has much texture to it, trying to expand my skills a bit.

edit: Anyone have any tips or resources on how not to mess up proportions on large drawings? It seems like every time I try to draw big, it ends up really wonky.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thirty Minute (mechanical, heh) Pencil Studies.

The Exam, draw it small and rent a projector to project it onto a larger image. Not really "cheating" as long as you draw it, though you could trace a reference if you really wanted to I guess.

415fdfe7cd09f2efb507e2aa35fe6022-d3e92nn.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well I'm trying to learn to draw bigger in the first place, without tracing or anything like that. I don't know if I'm just looking at the paper wrong, focusing on the wrong things, or what, but my life drawing professor is always getting on my case about it during class.

Nice shading, by the way.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ah, and thanks.

I would make sure you're using some sort of "measurement". The length of a pencil vs. the length of an eraser for example. When referencing a model, every eraser length (while looking at the model) equaling a pencil length on your paper, or so. It'll show you the true relative sizes and locations of the basic shapes in whatever your drawing is. It's usually fairly enlightening. Our minds sometimes adjust positioning based on importance or lighting, but a true measurement may make it seem smaller, or larger, or moved slightly.

Everything is relative; so if you make something big, just make everything else equally as big in relevance essentially.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm going to notch my pencil at a couple points and use that as a gauge. End to first notch being a unit for reference measuring, end to second notch for laying down on paper.

This one I did last Thursday is more medium-sized, still messed up his left shoulder and realized it way too late. I even corrected it once and still left it wrong, but eh, first time drawing from life with a dip pen.

UZETa.jpg

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    UV mapping practice.
    At least it looks better than ocarina of time

2wfpkqu.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
This discussion has been closed.