As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    You smoothed some stuff out, but I don't think you really addressed the core of the issue here- I traced over what you've got to try to see what the body is doing, and how it appears is that now she's got an ass about as tall as her ribcage; the whole pelvic region just seems differently scaled and detached from the rest of it. That's why I suggested you move the legs up before, so they slot into the pelvis and you don't have this weird elongation/detachment happening.

1900_lady.jpg

• Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    I like posting in the doodle thread, so I'munna post in the doodle thread.
    I've been doodling strange animated .gifs lately. Here are a few. If someone is better at making animated .gifs, I have questions. Especially with transparencies; I can never get clean animated .gifs with transparencies.

tumblr_m1h96h3VQb1qe53kyo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_lyqdotJAc61qe53kyo1_500.gif

tumblr_lysi47DNII1qe53kyo1_400.gif

NSFW: http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lys7i8IDN51qe53kyo1_r1_500.gif

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm not really an expert on gifs but I've played around with them a bit

The thing I've found out with transparent gifs (thru trial and error) is that a) transparency DESTROYS your overall file size and b) gifs are fairly restrictive in how many colors you can have

Playing in Photoshop, the default gif options top out at 256 colors (a restriction other filetypes like png do not have). Consequently, any sort of image you want a transparency on has to work with very few colors.

Example: here's a doodle I did a while ago with a very basic animation:

http://i.imgur.com/ajFRu.gif

I don't have the original psd with me here at work, but you can see some of the color loss on her shoes, eyes, and hair as well as the background. It gives the image a very grainy look (something the png doesn't suffer from, but I dont have it on hand). The gradient between the backdrop and white background normally has way more than 256 colors, so if I were to try and make the white transparent it would look abysmal and hella aliased (and probably be at least 2+ mb large).

Conversely, if you animate something with very few colors (see: pencil tool), the transparency turns out fine.

Not transparent: http://i.imgur.com/D2IgS.gif
    Transparent: http://i.imgur.com/yK9HY.gif

(forgive my inability to color in the lines)

Essentially you just need to cut down on your color usage in gifs, especially on the transition between border and background

Squall on
  • Options
    wow, thanks squall. that helps cut out a lot more hours of learning by trial and error.

• Options
    squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    That could cause epilepsy. For real.
    They are pretty neat tho :D

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Argh, me eyes. Spoiler tags please (not because they're ugly of course, but seriously - ouch).
    Pretty neat though.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    fridays doodle, doodle at work... because I have so much entretainment at home that I cant bring myself to drawing unless I have nothing else to do... and it shows :D

degna.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Welp. More digital painting!
    heavy_cybernetic_soldier_by_emir0-d4u43pv.png

m3nace on
  • Options
    rewinding.png

I've also been exploring typography. I wish I knew enough so I could ask questions around here, but this is just a big area to explore for me.
    I tried doing typography by hand. Kerning is freggin' difficult without having a good reference. I need more rulers.
    Digital typography.. well, I suppose that's just learning the program, but I like to think there's a whole world of knowledge that I just don't know yet.

• Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    Menace, that looks great! The body-to-legs ratio is a bit weird, but who can resist those tiny legs! Not sure how his knees would be able to bend in that armor though...

Here's a doodle i've expanded on a bit. First time i ever tried something using Gurney's Gamut masking. Any advice on the colors?
    flopdoodle.png

• Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    GrNDT.jpg

dumb doodles

• Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    just used india ink + a brush/pen for the first few times, I am diggin it. top one is probably not quite done?

sb223birdpartonesm.jpg
    moving_forward_by_intelligencequotient-d4tmri2.jpg

so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    Fucking beautiful, jpeg.

I have drawn so much lately, but nothing I really feel like sharing until I start my own thread.
    Here's a very quick sketch I did of a friend for lack of anything better to share.
    aaronsketch.jpg

• Options
    hey Nic, that smells of Open Canvas.... is it ?

/me sighs "makes me want to talk about the good old OC 1.1 days... "

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @jpeg nice control, nice values. Shit I need to dig out my inkset again.

• Options
    ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Frankenstime! Too much of a nuisance to scan, so stanky iphone pic it is! The graphite glares like a bitch near the top, but its what I could do.
    2wBe9.jpg?1
    And I swear to god im going to post here more. I'm always like, "I'll post my little arts and my little crafts there, for real" but never do. Criminal I say.

Shankbone on
    We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    So I haven't posted anything in here for a long time.

I recently sculpted a thing. It's only my second sculpt, so lots of details didn't translate and other stuff.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. While sculpting it I was like "Yeah this is going to be sweet!". Then as soon as I finished and cured it, I was all "Awww it sucks." Details didn't show like I thought they would, cracks, etc. etc.

But now I don't know.

Anyways, any kind of feedback that might help in the future would be awesome.

It's about 6" tall to give you some idea of scale.
    EvjoRl.jpg

And in an effort to minimize image spam for those who don't care, the rest is spoilered.
    ZuCZJl.jpg
    y1pU4l.jpg
    Qf1qol.jpg
    pUFhOl.jpg
    jNR68l.jpg
    FCQ9xl.jpg
    ITy68l.jpg
    9hclYl.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    You're too hard on yourself, that's freaking amazing.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    nyuoobnyuoob Registered User regular
    PN The detail is so textured he's brilliant! He looks like a moon. There's a lot of character in his expression as well which is usually where it goes wrong.

• Options
    Starting to discover watercolours. She's not quite done yet, any suggestions? I think I need to use a pen for highlights as I've over shaded in areas, like her eyes - not enough detail going on me thinks.

watercolour.jpg

• Options
    Nyuoob, I think detail-wise it works as it is, and it looks very nice, but if you want to keep working on it, you could give it more contrast, leaving the most illuminated areas untouched. (but i guess that is just personal preference)

• Options
    Yeah I don't want to over do it with the shading by losing those areas, was hoping that highlights might heighten the contrast in areas. Watercolours are a bitch for over spill.
    P.s. This is me attempting alternative angles as you suggested hah. Baby steps..

• Options
    I cant really say much about watercolours, since Ive havent used them in maybe a decade. But I do like watered down ink with brush, that I think they share a similar principle, minus the sediment from watercolours. Id say, mark, at least mentally the parts you want to have absolute light (no pigment at all), and keep absorbent paper tissues around you at all times to control any spills.

I like the angle, I always botch chins/necks in that angle, but I think you solved it really well. I dont think you over-did the eyes, as a matter of fact I think they are heavy enough to be a focal point in the drawing. The only thing I could say, is the part under the nose, the curvature of that area could benefit from some shadows, and you can also use it to make the transition from the upper lip to the nose slighter. I dont know if I make myself understandable, if I dont I dont mind elaborating further... bottom line is, I like the eyes, and it pretty much looks like a finished piece to me.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    TheExAm wrote: »
    You're too hard on yourself, that's freaking amazing.
    nyuoob wrote: »
    PN The detail is so textured he's brilliant! He looks like a moon. There's a lot of character in his expression as well which is usually where it goes wrong.

Thanks. I suppose it's a lot of nitpicky things for me. Like I couldn't figure out how to get the teeth right. Or the skin texture, I wanted more subtlety to it, but unless I made deep grooves the lines wouldn't show up at all after going over it with mineral spirits. Stuff like that.

And here's some doodles.

StxTbl.jpg

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MyntMynt Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    dream%20bird2.jpg

Had the weirdest dream last night of this huge bird with cocktail shrimp in his maw… he morphed from time to time, as my imagery in dreams tend to do, but his beak during his first “form” was the most memorable, so I tried my best to sketch it.

I also remember his beak being reptilian to the touch with huge octagonial scales.

Mynt on
  • Options
    Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    This is what happens when you don't step back and look at your basic structure before shading.

messua.png

You fuck up.

http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Are you referring to the perspective of the ear, Mes3?

Menace, I like his tiny feet.

• Options
    Nib, I was referring to her right eye. I messed up pretty bad and had to erase it (as you can see). The ear is being pushed forward by the (unfinished) head garment, so thats okay.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    That's okay, Mes3. We still like you.

• Options
    I feel so loved.

• Options
    Attempts to clone Jackie Chan have been met with... complications.

scan0073.jpg

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    What is a thing I want to step on? I'll take Unholy Nightmares for $600 thanks Alex.

• Options
    I love the bumps on the bus, it's the only way I can draw something :(

MACNll.jpg

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    Okay last one, promise. I've just been so bored with my art these past two days I needed to do some stuff just for fun, raise my energy levels surrounding my approach.

scan0074.jpg

• Options
    Nic wrote: »
    Snippet

It might be stupid, but my first thought has been:

crab_nicholson.jpg

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    1C1Mel.jpg

I should probably practice hands.

And anatomy.

And lots of other stuff.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    chairs!
    D12DY.jpg?1

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Ever since I started a Tumblr I've been drawing silly amounts (which is easy when everything is a hasty doodle). It's pretty nice!
    tumblr_m1o8nneKWb1rsrynko1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1333283025&Signature=7%2FmOPN%2FF2wIppNtfj0WzoUPZyh0%3D
    tumblr_m1mfy5VOC21rsrynko1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1333283035&Signature=V%2B1W4yX5ZDQ5P6Pi0iWE7hzCIiQ%3D

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    I was on tumblr most of the day yesterday and was like "Yay!" every time you posted something new. All those were great!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Killing some time at work

Vys8h.jpg?1

This discussion has been closed.