As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    env6.jpg

The composition is off and I seem to be doing very similar environments lately. I'm going to use a tall canvas for the next one.

EDIT: TOTP
    Fugitive wrote:
    Fuck it

BallBot0208.jpg

ClenchTeeth214.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    A new comic I'm working on. I dread coloring backgrounds for some reason, so I always save them for last.

21312draft.jpg

I don't mind drawing them, I just feel like whenever I color them they look inadequate. :( Any advice? Tips?

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Not that I feel like I am in the place to give comic advice, but whatever, here it goes:

Whenever I ink and color in photoshop I keep them on seperate layers. Once I am done with all of the important stuff in the foreground (like to the point you are at in your comic above) I create a new layer, drag it under everything else, and set my brush to super huge and kind of just go to town and not make anything really detailed. If it looks like the background is too dark or overpowering you can just select the layer opacity and drag it down until your colored foreground stuff stands out again.

You don't have to worry about staying in the frames either. After you are done with the background select the layer that has your frames, make sure "select all layers" is turned off, magic wand that shit outside of the frames and modifty the selection to expand 2 pixels so you get just beyond the black and you don't have any jagged edges hanging out. Once that is selected hightlight the sloppy background layer and hit delete, that way you don't have to stay in the lines of the boxes when you are drawing with a huge brush.

Hope that helps!

• Options
    That it a really nice enviro, F87. Also that is a swank robot design, Fuggles.

• Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    Tynic awesome. The eyes and lips speak volumes.

If I were an old granny I'd be sorely tempted to pinch them cheeks.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    nevermind

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    f87, I'm really loving those colors, well done!

• Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    F87 while I haven't been active here for long long periods of time, I remember when you first posted and damn DAMN you are inspirational proof of how one can improve. Great work mate.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! Here is another one I did last night:

env7.jpg

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote:
    Fuck it

ClenchTeeth214.jpg

Man this is really neat but the lighting makes no sense at all

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Nope!

Fugitive on
  • Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    I had my million dollar idea today:
    scan0019-2.jpg

Jackie Chan as Batman!

scan0022.jpg

Chris Tucker as Robin!

scan0023.jpg

And Owen Wilson as Nightwing.

• Options
    I thought Chris Tucker was supposed to be Batwing at first, which I think would be 100x funnier.

lololol at the entire concept

Kochikens wrote:
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    trying to use my tablet more...
    KHqU8.jpg

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Nic wrote:

scan0022.jpg

Y U NO DRAW ME AS BATMAN!?

• Options
    Siegfried wrote:
    I thought Chris Tucker was supposed to be Batwing at first, which I think would be 100x funnier.

lololol at the entire concept

To be honest, I simply didn't know who Batwing was until I looked it up after reading your post. Now I know!

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    before bed doodling
    heavyheartwip.png

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Projeck, you're probably in the top 5 Dudes That Make Me Feel Like a Lazy Slouchass With Their Awesome Meteoric Improvement.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Iruka

I'm leaving AoB for you <3<3<3<3

melting_doll on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    squidbunny wrote:
    Projeck, you're probably in the top 5 Dudes That Make Me Feel Like a Lazy Slouchass With Their Awesome Meteoric Improvement.

Oh, psh. My stuff is really hit or miss, that's the first image to come out of my computer that I've been moderately happy with in god knows how long

Btw your comic is the tit's pajamas

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Iruka you always choose the prettiest hues.

Speaking of, I felt like I was channeling some Iruka design flavor while drawing this.

TunnelBird.jpg

Fugitive on
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    100_6162.jpg

How do I draw backsides?

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    I must really like Jackie Chan

scan0018-2.jpg

• Options
    Keep it up, Nic! Focus on the early construction stages, try to line everything up perfectly.
    Some new characters: Watch out, they'll get ya!

char3.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Thanks F87, I'm starting now to slow down so things will be better lined up. Sometimes I just get impatient and want the lines to be on the page right away, but that doesn't really help in the end.

EDIT:

Since I'm still the last to have posted here, lookit my first attempt at digital painting! It shouldn't be too hard to guess who it is based on my last few posts. You might even recognize him!
    jchanpic.jpg

Nic on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Actually, my first thought was that he looked like a mix between arnold schwarzenegger and jackie chan. Painting-wise, you're doing really well for a first attempt. I wish I could give more useful crit, but I've only ever done one of those myself.

Anyway, girlfriend requested herself being mad at some chump
    rF2cc.gif

Why did I ever abandon using rectangular brushes for lines, goddamn

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Nic wrote:
    Thanks F87, I'm starting now to slow down so things will be better lined up. Sometimes I just get impatient and want the lines to be on the page right away, but that doesn't really help in the end.

EDIT:

Since I'm still the last to have posted here, lookit my first attempt at digital painting! It shouldn't be too hard to guess who it is based on my last few posts. You might even recognize him!
    jchanpic.jpg

It's like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jackie Chan had a baby.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Spectre-x wrote:

It's like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jackie Chan had a baby.

The funny thing is that had that realization shortly after posting it here. I'll just have to work a little harder on getting the likeness down better in the future.

EDIT: New attempt at digital paints. This is basically all I had time to work on today because of work.
    gaimanwip2.jpg

If you don't recognize it, it's Neil Gaiman. This one is definitely a work in progress but it's slowly getting to where I want it to look.

Nic on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Doodling some dunewalking dudes.
    dunewalkers_by_emir0-d4q83si.png

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @Nic I think if you spent more time on structure and laying out the face before launching into the painting you might find the likenesses are better.

• Options
    Thanks for the tip @tynic I will try it that way next.
    I'm basically going to try a whole bunch of different methods until I find something that works best and gets the best results.
    I_Have_No_Idea_What_I_m_Doing.jpg

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    fungal guy, does that look like fungus?
    fungalfinals5.jpg

• Options
    WIP of a portrait of a friend (previous iteration here)- think I'm going to put this on hold/abandon it at this point because I've stared at it so long I can't really see what I'm doing anymore, probably need to move on to something else so I can come back to it with fresh eyes. One thing's for sure though, he looks significantly more sinister here than he does in real life.

JamesWIP1.jpg

• Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    Still working on values

facesdoodlery.jpg

Still..i probably shouldnt have spent half an hour on a doodle of a monged out head. argh, I swear I need to do an actual study soon and stop just doodling!

• Options
    Canoodling with some walking tank concepts. This may be the first time I've actually made an attempt at doing a turnaround.

Tankbots0219.jpg

I might make a thread as I continue working on these. I'm still really poorly equipped for tackling concept art.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    tynic wrote:
    Oh my god cute!

TankbotDESU0220.jpg

Fugitive on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    omg
    cute lil angry insectbot ;-;

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Looks like something out of a cross between Gurren Lagann and Ghost in the Shell

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Fug when did you get so good at drawing robits, all the stuff you've been doing lately is really sweet.

Kochikens wrote:
This discussion has been closed.