As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    the color is reading really flat. Bison generally have different shades of fur for each "bearded" section, but even ignoring that it would be much more exciting graphically to get some vibrancy going. Control where I'm looking with the saturation.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Oh man... yeah. I agree, it wasn't looking like that on my laptop monitor. I have it made so that every "bearded" section are significantly different colors - on my laptop. But, I just pulled it up on my desktop monitor and it looks really bad. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll have to play around with it.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I occasionally play with markers. Lessons learned this time: vignette vertically for vertical edges, and don't leave enormous empty spaces in the foreground. Also, colors get real muddy real fast when paper and bleed are involved. Nlt5s.jpg
    I don't know if the hasty Photoshopping did anything to help it.
    tVuNc.jpg
    also, page-topping excellence!

E: since I was the last one to post.
    Buffalo Soldier
    Buffsoldier.jpg
    hams wrote: »
    emilyzombie.png
    Very nice batch of hands there Nineteen. I'm also really enjoying the art lessons with Tam and Chico.

My latest scribble (one layer, no ref, messing around with the soft round brush in PS):
    sk0006.jpg

I really need to start putting some more work in on these. I just get so sleepy after working all day. Bleh.
    Shankbone wrote: »
    I think we all miss Stephen Gammell's works
    5 minute nostalgia sketch
    SpkAH.jpg?3

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey hey PA. Long time no post for me. I know, it's that time again. Time for my near quarterly question. AC... can I paint yet? :P

089b3898e50517480c934076fe01eba1-d4xu5u7.jpg

Referenced from: This

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Very nice batch of hands there Nineteen. I'm also really enjoying the art lessons with Tam and Chico.

My latest scribble (one layer, no ref, messing around with the soft round brush in PS):
    sk0006.jpg

I really need to start putting some more work in on these. I just get so sleepy after working all day. Bleh.

Mostly you need to switch to using a harder edge brush as you get further into the drawing, the soft brushes are good for roughing out the basic shape, but I find it's better when adding in the values and details to use a hard brush and play with opacity levels. Also try to avoid using blacks where possible, best to reserve black for the parts of the image with the deepest of values. Keep it up!

Nic on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    drawing while watching tv is a really great way to spend two hours on a fifty minute program

also i didn't get the colours at all like i wanted.

tumblr_m35xndcAn51qffewio1_500.jpg

• Options
    Is that Matt Smith or Benedict Cumberbatch?

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    That's the dude from that one show. Where he's wearing the bowtie.

• Options
    Yeah, okay, Matt Smith it is.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    kinda gave the Doctor a Joker look tynic
    it's good though

• Options
    hamshams Registered User regular
    thanks guys! it was for a friend who had recently watched zombieland.

still very new to attempting digital portraits.
    lianawip.png

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Hmm, something is off about that face. I think the lips and cheekbone are going too far in compared to the angle of the nose bridge and eyes/forehead.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Seeing that Buffalo has me craving a Bison Burger, soooooo good

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2012
    Epic heroics \/
    securitygal.jpg

EDIT: experiment:
    doodles4-29-2012.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    That's really solid work Bacon. I love people who can use full opacity and still make good with it.

• Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    Fuck pencils. This is the only proper way to doodle.

design_value.jpg

mechs.jpg

There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Getting a definite FF6 vibe from those!

Especially loving the robot with the knife.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Fuck pencils.
    I sincerely hope nobody listens to your advice.

• Options
    I started digital and moved down to pencil and pad. I've learned a lot more with the tangible medium, though I do miss the tricks of digital. Digital painting especially.

Question for those of you who might know. Charcoals, do I sharpen an edge of this stick or what? I'm confused about how to use these effectively.

• Options
    Well, I redid the color a little bit to make it pop some more. Going to finish the text and other additions tonight hopefully.
    Buffsoldier2.jpg

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Question for those of you who might know. Charcoals, do I sharpen an edge of this stick or what? I'm confused about how to use these effectively.

You can sharpen it using a sanding block or a razor blade- but (I assume you're talking about compressed charcoal sticks here), if you're looking to do linework requiring thin strokes, you might want to use a charcoal pencil or vine charcoal and sharpen those up (like a so), and leave the sticks for broad strokes and very dark areas. Also compressed charcoal won't erase out as easily as the other two, (something about the chemical that binds the charcoal, IIRC), so you should find them a bit more forgiving to work with initially as well.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks Bacon!
    I have to run to my art supply store for a brush pen anyhow, I'll grab some of those charcoal pencils while I'm there.

• Options
    If they have them, look out for Conte ones (1710 B) or Wolff's Carbon (4B or 6B); some of the ones that stores generally stock can be too brittle to hold the kind of really sharp, super-long points shown in that link.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/conte-sketching-pencils/
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/wolffs-carbon-pencil/

• Options
    Kim kongKim kong Registered User regular
    a_woman_with_tiger_walking_throug_blood_by_farfetchedhorizons-d4y74ob.jpg

Another week, another drawing thats supposedly finished(like if that's ever possible).
    Critiques are always welcomed of course.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

You can sharpen it using a sanding block or a razor blade- but (I assume you're talking about compressed charcoal sticks here), if you're looking to do linework requiring thin strokes, you might want to use a charcoal pencil or vine charcoal and sharpen those up (like a so), and leave the sticks for broad strokes and very dark areas. Also compressed charcoal won't erase out as easily as the other two, (something about the chemical that binds the charcoal, IIRC), so you should find them a bit more forgiving to work with initially as well.

You forgot the next two steps, where you get used to looking like a chimney sweep and gradually grow accustomed to sneezing black snot.
    But it's cool.

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    An over-saturated Chun Li
    tumblr_m3bne0gyyX1rsrynko1_1280.jpg

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    rose2s.jpg

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    That.....Chun-Li is .....AMAZING!!!!

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    I love that Chun-Li, it's fantastic!

Drwhosmall.jpg
    Finally getting around to watching the new seasons of Dr. Who.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    This is my final and FUCK I FORGOT HOW TO PAINT

cnarain_ill233_final.jpg

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    whatcha using there, dry brush ?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Mostly using a custom Photoshop brush I got from my teacher. Supposed to be like conte. I find it's really good for just throwing down value.

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Options
    Nineteen, I have no idea what is going on in the center of that image.

The poses of the characters are pretty neat though.

• Options
    Chun Li can never be over-saturated <3

Temperature, I don't even watch Dr. Who and I love that.

• Options
    Mr. Firman, how many tries does it take you to get one of the more sensitive curves right?

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Sometimes I'll redraw a line 20 or 30 times. I'm pretty inefficient.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    well I done one 78 times so

here's a bad comic because I couldn't really figure out how to do any of the suggestions in the SE thread

2eobbx5.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Final character sheet. Everyone liked the last two designs better than the second one, which was my favorite. : /

cnarain_character_design-1.jpg

EDIT: Now that I look at it, the third one's got some serious David Bowie vibes coming off of her....

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Options
    ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    Rendering into the morning young sirs! (and fine ladies)
    Get out of the way, this shaded primitive form model is comin' through!
    p2s52.png
    and a silly version because its its 5:50am
    NXFiq.png

We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    omfg that Chunners

This discussion has been closed.