As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    [EDIT] Oops! Didn't realize I was totping
    Tam wrote: »
    well I done one 78 times so

here's a bad comic because I couldn't really figure out how to do any of the suggestions in the SE thread

2eobbx5.jpg
    Final character sheet. Everyone liked the last two designs better than the second one, which was my favorite. : /

cnarain_character_design-1.jpg

EDIT: Now that I look at it, the third one's got some serious David Bowie vibes coming off of her....
    Shankbone wrote: »
    Rendering into the morning young sirs! (and fine ladies)
    Get out of the way, this shaded primitive form model is comin' through!
    p2s52.png
    and a silly version because its its 5:50am
    NXFiq.png

It's been a bit since I did any art for myself, so I decided to warmup with robots before getting to my paid work tonight.

Robot0502.jpg

Fugitive on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hooray, I drew something for the first time in forever

g7Zhj.jpg

Edit: better scan quality, fixed her jaw.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    Fugly, teach me how to robot like you robot.

There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    cool robotics. got me this little girl here, yep thats it.
    robotandgirl.jpg

• Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    doodlin' in class. IMG_0249.jpg

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I wanted to get a little help on this, I'm trying to work on how I map out bodies. this is what it looks like before I erase the lines and add details

mappingp.jpg

does that seem okay? it's 3/4 view, so the right leg is supposed to overlap with the left one but I feel like it's still not close enough to make it look convincing

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    it looks like you need to study some anatomy, practice drawing the human form using some reference. but yes you should roughly map things out first to make sure the proportions are right.

check out these sites for a massive reference pool:
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/
    http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jars, for this drawing specifically, I would say the legs are too long in proportion to the upper body. Also the leg should have three segments not counting the foot. Thigh, knee, and calf.

Some very basic proportions to consider:

An adult male is "typically" about 7 heads high (there are obviously tons of variation in the human form, not to mention different styles of drawing it).

Body length from the top of the head to the crotch should be roughly the same as from the crotch to the bottom of the foot.

Arms hanging at the side, the wrist is at about the half way line of the body.

Some general advice:

Draw a lot. Drawing from life will teach you more than drawing from reference, and drawing from reference will teach you more than drawing from imagination.
    Your goal with drawing from life and reference is to build your visual vocabulary, so you know how to invent and exaggerate when drawing from imagination.
    Don't be afraid to copy from artists you like. Try to figure out why what they are doing works. Good copies are nothing to show off, they are just for learning. Copy from a lot of different sources so you're not just becoming a clone.

Good luck and keep at it.

SeraphSword on
    Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options

I might do a quick tutorial soon, even though I'm the last guy who should ever be making tutorials about anything ever.

• Options
    This is a good idea. Design or just painting process?

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hell, I'd be satisfied with just the painting process. I'm lost when it comes to digital painting, and your stuff is exactly the kind of style I go for.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    This is a good idea. Design or just painting process?

Probably both, since my process is typically "scribble a bunch, then maybe sketch over the scribbles, then paint"

Whoah I should be charging for this shit.

• Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Playing about
    scaled.php?server=823&filename=pauar.jpg&res=landing

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    ctrlpaint.com is a good spot to start for digital painting.

That is a seriously nice robot though Fug. I like the itty bitty feet holding it up.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    MoorkusMoorkus Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »

I might do a quick tutorial soon, even though I'm the last guy who should ever be making tutorials about anything ever.

I also desire Fug robot tutorials.

• Options
    victravictra Registered User regular
    scarab_by_close2deathnlife-d4yc6j1.jpg
    comic character commission I recently completed and something else i'm working on splat_wip_by_close2deathnlife-d4ykqpf.jpg

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    For a moment there I was about to respond to wakkawa...

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Those are awesome, my only objection is that the first one is a little too tight. The highlights around the edge of the body are also too uniform, it's making it look 2 dimensional.

So I guess that's two objections.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    PizzaBalls.png

Put it in MAH MOUTH!

I think in retrospect the balls need hair.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Superduper-duper neat sharky!

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I have the d and ds on the brain lately

tief.jpg

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    mmm lookidem cullas

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    In case anyone remembers that thing I sculpted a while ago, I got around to painting it. Only have access to a camera phone right now though.

Spoilered for gross
    3D5LVl.jpg
    pgCdRl.jpg[/quote]

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHthat's awesome

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Walking BowWow

_127721.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    tumblr_m3o7cbOQzN1qbiru9o1_500.gif
    More animation! I've never spent this long on one project before, feels good to see it coming together.

• Options
    victravictra Registered User regular
    I have the d and ds on the brain lately

tief.jpg

Too gorgeous!

• Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I also have D's on the brain, 3 D's to be exact. Some Witchdoctor fan art, to tide me over till the 15th!

witchdoc3.jpg

Obilex on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    That looks pretty rad, Sharky.

Is it a dog turning into a cheetah? Instead of a dog, shouldn't it be a… cat?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Victra I always enjoy your strong artwork, but to add to the pile already stated, it always seems like something Wakkawa would draw, which is both good and bad.

At this stage you should focus more on developing your own artistic "voice" since you've got a good grip on all your fundamentals. This is rather important for an illustrator to have in order to stand out from the pack. There's no questioning your technical skills, so now it's up to you to focus on how to take those lessons and apply it in a manner that doesn't eerily echo another well-known artist too much :)

Godfather on
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Hi all!
    Long time lurker on the doodle thread, first time poster. Been finally getting some concept projects in but I haven't had the courage to post anything until now.

I hope the image size isn't too big.

Tower+of+Trials_smaller.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2012
    You need to bring more focus to the character in the statue's hand, I completely missed him on the first viewing. Right now all my immediate attention is drawn towards the energy at the bottom left, and that also draws the viewer's eye away from the piece and away from the giant statue.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Neat composition. Godfather is correct though, there needs to be a little more love given to the figure in the hand to set him off against the statue and make him pop.

His right side is fine, but we're getting lost on the left contour around the leg, hand, and head. I would solve this by either lightening up the belly of the statue and setting the figure off as more of a silhouette, or by adding some sharp rim light to the figure from the direction of that lightning thing.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Thanks for the feedback guys, you're awesome! I tried at first to use the lantern light to draw the viewer in, but you're right in that the figure still get's lost in the statue too easily.
    I'll try a bit of those suggestions, see what ends up working.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    queenofspades.jpg

• Options
    That hand looks uncomfortable, Mayday.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    On Victra's work: I don't think he needs to worry about developing his own style, because honestly I think he is. I think we've all heard time and time again that you can't force your own style. It just happens. So his work is reminiscent of wakkas, so what? He likes drawing the ladies (as wakka does) and he renders really, really well. If I were to have one crit of his work, it's that it seems like he spends about twice the time on his faces as he does the bodies - or he just needs to work on bodies to the point where he can render them just as well as faces.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Is this better? Still not quite right I guess
    queen2.jpg

• Options
    It looks upside down to me. Holding my hand upside down that close to my body is very uncomfortable. Or am I not reading it right?

This discussion has been closed.