As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

League of Legends!

VaregaVarega Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
logo.jpg
League of Legends is a game inspired by the Defense of the Ancients, developed and published by Riot Games.

READ THIS FIRST!

Frosteey's Super Useful Advice Corner
Tip #1: Have fun : D
Need a stream list? List of all streams that are worth listing.

Have you scored a Pentakill?

I5r0s.jpg
2115f11.jpg
i4qxjt.jpg
Guuuys.jpg
ppppppentakill.jpg
Get on the G&T vent to play with us (list at bottom), the vent info is stickied at the top of the forum.

Game Info and Useful Links:
leagueoflegends.com, the game database provided by Riot (who make the game).
leaguecraft.com, there are a lot of fan sites out there with general information and builds. This is just one; and, it's kinda slow as shit. Regardless of where you look for builds keep in mind, most of them make assumptions that are not clearly conveyed and there are a lot that are just plain bad. Tread lightly.
KillerCodeMonkey's wiki, add your brilliant shit to it.
Game mechanic shit, stuff like how attacks and magic and fuck work.
Rune break-dancing, good info about what runes you should buy.
Livestreams Watch the pros rage.

THE BUSY-BUSTER CODES - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
When you've got the client open, type

"Left, Right, Left, Right, Down, Down, Up, Up, 3 then 4"

Alternatively

"CTRL+L --> [ javascript:setServerStatus(1) ]"

Again, use them at your own risk.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND REAL CASH DOLLA MONIES FOR CHAMPIONS
Zoelef wrote: »
Drop $20 for the Retail Box (Amazon, Best Buy, GameSpot, Newegg, Target, and Wal-Mart typically have this) It gives you $10 in Riot Points, take those, then buy $10 in Riot Points and $5 in Riot Points. Spend all of them on the second champ pack.

That's $35 for 40 champs permanently unlocked; none of the post-40 have ever been in a bundle AFAIK.
Cutfang wrote: »
Q: How can I get champions and save money?
A: You won't have to spend a cent if you simply play games and earn enough IP to buy them all. If, however, you wish to hasten the process you may buy champions with real money. The most cost effective way to buy champions is by purchasing the two bundles on offer.
For $45 you can buy 6380 Riot Points, which are used to buy champions and skins. 3900 of those points gets you the Digital Collector's Pack, which contains 20 champions and includes 1380 Riot Points (huh?). If you were to buy the champions individually it would cost 37800 IP or 9620 RP. The Digital Collector's pack can also be bought in stores or online as a boxed copy, which may save you a significant amount of money.
3410 Riot Points gets you the champions bundle. This contains some more expensive champions. Bought individually they would cost 60750 IP or 14350 RP (ish).
This leaves you with 450 RP, enough to buy yourself a single skin!

the LoL wiki for the updated Champion list.

Valiantine has a lovely spreadsheet that you can add your summoner name to.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap5qFqD3oLKndHNfOGJ1VFNZVVZ6c1NtZVktdXpsTVE&hl=en&authkey=CJPuh4wG#gid=0
Edit: The spreadsheet is currently defunct.

And here we go again!

PM: ArcanisTheImpotent for learning inhouse games. He said it will likely be weekly.

HOW TO JOIN THE PA CHAT CHANNEL IN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Click the chat rooms panel in the bottom right, click the speech bubble with a plus next to it, type in Penny Arcade. when the window opens, click the gear in the top right of the window and check the box "Autojoin on Startup."

League of Legends:Varega
Varega on

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The MOBA DOBA will not be in the title long

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    RobojoeRobojoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It better be.

Robojoe on
    Xbox: Mr J0se/LoL: Robojoe
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zeeny wrote: »
    Win differential is not positively correlated with ELO rating.

I'd love to see a source citation for that. That doesn't make mathematical sense, particularly if you never group queue.

Actually mathematical sense is all there is to it. The early life of the account is significantly more important than the results after a certain amount of time. Elo is gained or lost depending on opponent. a 10/10 l/w streak could easily be 50 point higher than the initial elo or 50 points lower. It's quiet possible to have a negative coefficient for some win differentials.

Edit:
    Because the statement "Win differential is not positively correlated with ELO rating," seems to imply that it doesn't correlate as a general rule, and that makes no sense.

LOL. wut?

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The MOBA DOBA will not be in the title long

HAH YOU FUCK, I OWN THE THREAD. MOBA DOBA FOREVER!

Varega on
  • Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mooba Dooba!

FlipprDolphin on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is a fine looking thread.

Also normal queue pick shenanigans drive me insane. I usually tend to wait before picking since I'll play most anything to fill gaps, but I hate people who don't pick until the last second. Or switch roles completely like 10 seconds before game start when everyone is set with runes/masteries.

Akali/Ashe/non-jungle Eve.. okay I'll jungle Amumu since this other guy isn't picking. 20 seconds left and now Akali suddenly switches to Soraka. What the fuck. Now down a solo ap carry and captain mystery who refuses to pick. Q-q-q-queue dodge.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Your Trist because Yi is garbage?
    someone is mad that they can't play Yi.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    But Moba Doba is some dumb in-joke that confuses people

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    also to my dearest friends Mooman and Arock: I am sincerely sorry for playing the worst game of my life last night and needing to go to bed to wake up @ 5:30 AM.

I am getting home from work around 3:00 PM with beers and will not go 2-18-14 again. I might have more deaths, but it most certainly won't be 2-18.

I'll make sure the ratio is like 4-20-0 or something.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You're a bad mankey.

different topic but how would one queue dodge? I just had two games, one we all instantly picked carried but only the jungle ww locked and we actually discussed and some people flipped around. That game we won. Yay.
    The other game 4/5 instantly lock in carries and i'm sitting on taric waiting to see what they do. I've never wanted to not be in a game as much as when I saw 4 locks with like 70 seconds still to pick.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2 crushing defeats, it's going back down again yay

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You're a bad mankey.

different topic but how would one queue dodge? I just had two games, one we all instantly picked carried but only the jungle ww locked and we actually discussed and some people flipped around. That game we won. Yay.
    The other game 4/5 instantly lock in carries and i'm sitting on taric waiting to see what they do. I've never wanted to not be in a game as much as when I saw 4 locks with like 70 seconds still to pick.

Close the program while in champ select. 5 minute penalty.

Totally worth it!

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    don't do it ranked though, learned it the hard way

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So Kayle

How does I not suck?

I really like the concept of the character, but I feel like I need too many items to become a significant factor in the late game. Usually I go Philosopher's stone > Nasher's > Cooldown boots > Rageblade, but I rarely finish the rageblade (not that its components aren't nice to have).

Part of my issue, I suppose, is that I need to get better at flinging slows/heals while moving accurately, but if anyone had any pointers for me I'd appreciate it, because wow I suck with her right now, or at least that's how I feel when I play.

Also, which summoner spells for her? I usually take clarity to help get through the awkward early game portion where I chew through mana like a monster because I'm spamming heals on my lane mate, but for my other one I don't see that many options that stand out at me.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How do I Galio

I gave him a try last night in a coop game and he seems pretty neat but I think I'm gonna have to run mana regen of some sort on him besides chalice because early game it hurts

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited March 2011

The history and lore of MOBA DOBA
    Once upon a time, on a light-hearted video game message board, there existed a really high young man called Mooman who had some connections to an internet video game box called League of Legends that was in development. However at this time nobody had heard of this "League of Legends." It was a quiet little underground thing that the general public knew nothing about.

Because of his insider connection, this Mooman character had a large amount of beta keys to distribute. Being a noble and majestic breed of stoner, he came to the light-hearted video game message board and made a forum thread with which to spread information about this League of Legends and distribute his giant supply of beta keys.

However, because League of Legends was an unknown title amongst the masses, and because it was a developing genre with a couple/few other games in the DOTA/AOS lineage being released as standalone products, he prefixed his thread title with [MOBA DOBA]. MOBA, you see, because it stood for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, the genre to which it belonged, and DOBA because it sounded jovial for the readers of this light-hearted video game message board.

And thus the first [MOBA DOBA] League of Legends thread was birthed unto the world. And for many threads with many thousands of posts and many more views over more than a year MOBA DOBA prospered, ushering forth a simple way for the masses to quickly scan down the left side of the forum page and find the thread they desired, for no other thread began with this [MOBA DOBA].

But then one dark day, many threads later, a thread creator made the grave mistake of making a [MOBA DOBA] thread without "League of Legends" in the title. And this greatly angered some small, weak man. Not entirely without just cause, but certainly to a greater degree than anyone could have anticipated. And so this furious creature alerted the fickle moderators of the light-hearted video game message board and they brought down their fragile fingers upon their admin buttons and changed the thread title to include "League of Legends" and warned the readers that THIS MUST EXIST.

And so it has, long since the great threadpocalypse. But then recently, when the thread was calmly and fruitfully existing as a [MOBA DOBA] League of Legends thread, a small, furious man once again made his anguish known to the moderation staff. And in their arbitrary desire to smite anyone in order to feel powerful, they changed the great [MOBA DOBA] League of Legends thread to simply be "League of Legends" because clearly having [MOBA DOBA] in front of it would make it impossible to locate for anyone new that lacked a higher education in the computer sciences.

This greatly harmed the common subjects of the MOBA DOBA, for now they could not easily locate the thread. Instead they kept getting false hope from the filthy Legend of Zelda thread because as their eyes quickly scanned the left side of the forums the L and the Legend part triggered synapses in their brains which gave them hope, only to have it dashed upon the rocks when they realized it was not the DOBA they so greatly desired.

But now once again the [MOBA DOBA] has returned to its loyal subjects, and the denizens of the thread await to see if their shining beacon in the darkness will once again be spitefully struck down for no particular reason by the overzealous moderation of a light-hearted video game message board.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Your Trist because Yi is garbage?
    someone is mad that they can't play Yi.

So good it needs to be in two threads?

I just don't like playing Yi. I have him and I havne't played him once since hitting 30.

I played against a Yi last night and he was a non-factor because I had Thornmail.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FightTest wrote: »

Once upon a time, on a light-hearted video game message board, there existed a really high young man called Mooman who had some connections to an internet video game box called League of Legends that was in development. However at this time nobody had heard of this "League of Legends." It was a quiet little underground thing that the general public knew nothing about.

Because of his insider connection, this Mooman character had a large amount of beta keys to distribute. Being a noble and majestic breed of stoner, he came to the light-hearted video game message board and made a forum thread with which to spread information about this League of Legends and distribute his giant supply of beta keys.

However, because League of Legends was an unknown title amongst the masses, and because it was a developing genre with a couple/few other games in the DOTA/AOS lineage being released as standalone products, he prefixed his thread title with [MOBA DOBA]. MOBA, you see, because it stood for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, the genre to which it belonged, and DOBA because it sounded jovial for the readers of this light-hearted video game message board.

And thus the first [MOBA DOBA] League of Legends thread was birthed unto the world. And for many threads with many thousands of posts and many more views over more than a year MOBA DOBA prospered, ushering forth a simple way for the masses to quickly scan down the left side of the forum page and find the thread they desired, for no other thread began with this [MOBA DOBA].

But then one dark day, many threads later, a thread creator made the grave mistake of making a [MOBA DOBA] thread without "League of Legends" in the title. And this greatly angered some small, weak man. Not entirely without just cause, but certainly to a greater degree than anyone could have anticipated. And so this furious creature alerted the fickle moderators of the light-hearted video game message board and they brought down their fragile fingers upon their admin buttons and changed the thread title to include "League of Legends" and warned the readers that THIS MUST EXIST.

And so it has, long since the great threadpocalypse. But then recently, when the thread was calmly and fruitfully existing as a [MOBA DOBA] League of Legends thread, a small, furious man once again made his anguish known to the moderation staff. And in their arbitrary desire to smite anyone in order to feel powerful, they changed the great [MOBA DOBA] League of Legends thread to simply be "League of Legends" because clearly having [MOBA DOBA] in front of it would make it impossible to locate for anyone new that lacked a higher education in the computer sciences.

This greatly harmed the common subjects of the MOBA DOBA, for now they could not easily locate the thread. Instead they kept getting false hope from the filthy Legend of Zelda thread because as their eyes quickly scanned the left side of the forums the L and the Legend part triggered synapses in their brains which gave them hope, only to have it dashed upon the rocks when they realized it was not the DOBA they so greatly desired.

But now once again the [MOBA DOBA] has returned to its loyal subjects, and the denizens of the thread await to see if their shining beacon in the darkness will once again be spitefully struck down for no particular reason by the overzealous moderation of a light-hearted video game message board.

Slow-Clap.gif

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dumbest Online Bad Acronym.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Slow-Clap.gif

Bravo.

Varega on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FightTest, are you perhaps a British children's book author?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kainy wrote: »
    So Kayle

How does I not suck?

Don't play Kayle.

She's really awful.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    reported for having doba in the title

Jars on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FightTest, are you perhaps a British children's book author?

Do British children's book authors have way too much free time and tend to over edit what they write creating a lot of undesirably long sentences and inappropriate commas? If so.. maybe.

Or maybe I just love Teemo. How does that make you feel?

ps - jars is the sad pony thread on the official boards you? because that shit was funny to me.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Varega wrote: »

Slow-Clap.gif

Bravo.

I Applaud this brave showing. Doba Forever.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Fact: That's why I was barred from attending PAX East

Zoelef on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fighttest

you are my hero

also surrealitycheck is brave olaf tanky CDR olaf for LIGHTNING FROM THE SKY AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE?

if not, explain to me brave olaf

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So got my first solo lane as Crocodile today because a trist disconnected at startup. It was fucking glorious , in fact it was one of those games where our team comp was perfect everyone was nice and trist came back 20 minutes in and still farmed up and carried us. Went 8/2/19 with my first death coming some 20 minutes in the game and the last one at the end where I made myself a target so the rest of the team could mop up. The score at the end was something absurd like 33-17. Why cant all my games be this fun.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kainy wrote: »
    So Kayle

How does I not suck?

Don't play Kayle.

She's really awful.

Yeah she requires way too much farm compared to other carries and is just a liability until way late game.

In contrast Teemo with CV is pretty amazing for solo queue. I can force my team to be less terrible by constantly spotting for ganks with both mushrooms and CV so they have no excuse when they get ganked and often do fewer stupid things.

Drool on
  • Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    <3 Fight

Long live moba doba!

Nisi on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    also surrealitycheck is brave olaf tanky CDR olaf for LIGHTNING FROM THE SKY AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE?

brave olaf doesn't forest

he lanes

brave olaf levels axe

just because

you start with a doran's blade

because it cuts people

you run 21 points offense

because you a man

you use 25 arp 7% crit runes

because dat is sum deeps

you buy 3 d blades then build a ghostblade

you tower dive with NO MERCYYYYYYYYYYYYY

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fighttest: A++ would read again.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If league of legends was in brackets and moba doba wasn't the title would probably not get changed!

Slicer on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Slicer wrote: »
    If league of legends was in brackets and moba doba wasn't the title would probably not get changed!

Did you not read the story?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bigwah wrote: »

Who was the person that complained?

Fellhand on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bigwah wrote: »

Who was the person that complained?

I gotta fess up.

When I first started playing this game, I was incredibly late to the party. So by the time I picked it up the forum name was something like "JAM TOTES SON [MOBA DOBA] DOBA MOBA TOTES JAM SON" and (forum search being dead) I couldn't find the thread for days until I randomly misclicked. Overjoyed at finally finding the right thread but still a little pissed, I asked for an amendment the title in-thread but it never happened. A couple of days later I hit the report button to ask an admin to put in "League of Legends" somewhere. Thus I brought down the holocaust which makes me worse than Hitler.

No clue on why it keeps getting nuked though. It's entirely possible I wasn't the only one who reported it and there's someone else out there who hates fun even more than I do and holds on to grudges longer. That's hard for me to believe though since my little grinch-like heart is full of venom, and even I couldn't imagine continuing to report.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2 shitty solo queue games in a row, third going our way then whoops 2 leavers.

Pretty sure solo queue is going to kill me.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    [MOBA DOBA] got zerg rushed. No wonder it died.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've been playing horribly lately... and I think using co-op v ai to learn new champs is a horrible thing because when I play, for example, Rammus and go 8/0/a billion in the ai game i'm shocked to find I go 3/8/what the fuck?! in a real match.

I've been getting grouped with a bunch of winners to, meaning if i don't play a tank or support then we won't have any. And I'm not that good where being the guy who runs into everyone yelling "come on hit me!" turns out well most of the time (although I'm pretty good when I get to farm out a tanky Nasus and I'm learning Amumu pretty well).

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I witnessed something.

cass and gangplank go top. it's a 2v1 lane vs garen

garen gets a double kill at lv1 with 200 hp to spare

Jars on