Options

Some people are nice

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    at some point i learned that if i hear an accent and think "that is a weird accent, i have no idea what is up with that" it turns out that person is from south africa

satansfingers on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gatsby wrote: »

I just want to give Randi a hug, right now.

It's sad that he doesn't seem to be very long for this world. :(

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do British stock traders snort queues of cocaine?

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sassori wrote: »
    My first housemates were a lesbian couple with 4 cats.

So we have met before.

Oh if only I'd known!

I'd like to live on my own or with roommates similar to me. I've not had much luck so far. Only 8 months to go here!

I was one of the cats.

Sassori on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maybe you were the one that went missing.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    iammattpleeveeiammattpleevee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I always try to hold a door open for people out of simple courtesy. I try to make sure I thank people when they've done something for me such as bag my groceries, open a door for me, let me go past them on the golf course because they are slow etc. I know they're just good manners but damn do I see a lot of people who can't do even that.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm the most well-mannered person you will ever meet. I will hold open all of the doors for you and thank you for letting me do it.

QFT

iammattpleevee on
    SteamID iammattpleevee@aol.com
    Battle.net: Matt 3999 or iammattpleevee@gmail.com
    PSN?: iammattpleevee
    life-before-google.jpg
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thank people for basically any interaction possible. It's insane, like some sort of British-guilt paradigm that has been instilled in me.

Like if I'm paying someone when I buy something, I'll thank them when I both give them money and receive my change. And then again when they give me a receipt.
    Thanks for reading my post.

zen- on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zen- wrote: »
    I thank people for basically any interaction possible. It's insane, like some sort of British-guilt paradigm that has been instilled in me.

Like if I'm paying someone when I buy something, I'll thank them when I both give them money and receive my change. And then again when they give me a receipt.

I do this too

it is troubling

apparently it can be annoying

I also say m'aam and sir alot

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had a seasonal gig at Best Buy this past Fall. I think it was December 23rd when this mid-30s mother came in looking for something for her son. Her son was around 12 I think and there wasn't any man in the picture. She told me about where she works and was generally just one of the most friendly customers I had.

Anyway, she was obviously stressing about money. We talked about her various options for a while, she called some people she had a card with, and sat down for 5-10 minutes to puzzle it out. Anyway, she had been there a good hour when she decided on a TV and something that needed an HDMI cable, I forget what exactly. When I mentioned the cable, there was this sad realization that she hadn't factored that in. The cheapest at Best Buy is about $30. Given how much she had struggled with what to do, I knew that $30 was a big deal.

So I told her not to worry about it. Take your things and get in line. I was off in ten minutes, I had an employee discount, I'd get the cables and meet her in the adjacent parking lot when I got off. During training, they specifically mentioned people getting fired for buying shit for friends and then getting caught giving it to them in the BB parking lot. So when I got off I bought the cables for all of $3 and met her in the parking lot next door. She offered me $5 but I declined. I told her it was a gift, Merry Christmas. She thanked me, hugged me, and we parted ways.

It was only a couple bucks, but I'm glad I could help out a nice woman who was obviously trying very hard to make ends meet at Christmas.

Edit: Substitute teaching is a bit frustrating as far as wanting to help people out. There have been plenty of times when I'd start pulling away from the school and see a kid walking. "Who is that? Prisma? Prisma is walking? The girl who was in a coma and has a limp?" Even if it's just a decent kid who I like alright, I'd be more than happy to give them a ride, but I can't. Did that young, male teacher just have a teenage student get into his car? There's a firing.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    After I moved here, I decided to return the uhaul all by myself. I figured I could just bus/walk back home afterwards. With somewhat of a plan, I drove to the uhaul place. On the way there, I noticed that the road I was driving on was really narrow. No real shoulder. This was the road I would have to walk on to get to the main road where a bus stop might be.

I get a little stupid when I want to be all independent.

After returning the uhaul, I asked the lady if there was a bus stop around here. Saying I didn't realize how narrow the road here was, so my plan of walking out to the main street didn't seem too smart anymore. She said no. I then asked if she had a phone book so I could call a cab. Instead she went and talked with an older gentleman who I guess hung out at the shop a bunch. He was heading out in the direction of my apartment shortly and offered me a lift.

They all seemed too friendly to turn down so I graciously accepted and got dropped off a few blocks from my apartment. Thanked the guy a bunch.

Old folk have the silliest hang-out spots. My grandad does auto part stores.

Weaver on
  • Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This just happened to me yesterday. I have a job as pizza delivery jockey and I did a delivery to a hotel at the very edge of our delivery area. Her total was something like 23 dollars or whatever, she digs through her wallet and gives me a bit of cash I quickly verify as at least a twenty and a five. To make transactions as smooth and fast as possible, I normally check to see if I have at least as much as I need and not count it all out right there, so I take the money, she tells me to keep the change, and we part.

Anyway, I get in my car and drive off back to the store. Now right close to the store is a stoplight that always keeps me for a solid minute or two, where I usually take the time to transfer money from the last delivery into my overall stash, since I like to keep it sorted for easy change distribution. I pull out the cash wad, find a one, a five, and two twenties. I quickly presume that this woman did not intend to give me a twenty three dollar tip, and I u-turn when the light turns green. I drive the ten or so minutes back to the delivery, knock on her door, and return the twenty, which she was very grateful for. I gave her a "don't mention it", wished her a good day, and went on my way.

So I got back from the delivery about 25 minutes later than I should have, and was full ready to get an earful from my manager (who is pretty crazy about being quick with our deliveries), and instead I find out that she had called the store and recalled the story to him, saying that I had been very polite and just wanted to pass that on. So, content with the positive PR, he printed out a gift certificate for two free pizzas for me (basically $20 of food) for being a generally cool employee.

Niceness begets niceness.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This thread gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

zen- on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have lost my wallet twice and had it returned both times. First time I was hanging out in a playground in the middle of the night like all good teenagers do and dropped it, and the next day went to the police station and someone had just handed it in (I actually walked past her leaving as I went in. The policewoman inside was pretty weirded out that I turned up 10 seconds after my wallet).

The second time I dropped it walking home at uni. Some guy found it, and wrote a letter to the address on my driving license which is my parents' house, giving his phone number, so my parents could phone me so I could phone him to get his address and go pick it up. It still had my £5.20 in it.

I like to think I'm a nice person. I like helping people, and as I get older I find I feel less weird about offering help. I also do the British thing of thanking people more than necessary. I work in a pub and quite often catch myself thanking someone when I take their money, thanking them again when I give them their change, and thanking them again as I hand them their beer. And they're thanking me all the time and it's just too much thanking.

I also have a thing where I can't drive past an animal in the road. I stop and move frogs and hedgehogs. And I've stopped on three occasions to catch dogs that have got loose, and called the number on their collars and waited for their owners to come get them, and for the one that didn't have a collar I took him home for the night and ended up having to sleep in the kitchen with him because he started howling when he was left alone, and then drove him all around town the next day until managing to find his owner. All because I used to have a dog and she ran away for a week once and I remember how awful it was.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My dad used to do nice things all the time, bitching the entire time. Like, he was an asshole but he couldn't leave people hanging, even strangers. So he'd end up hours late to work because he was keeping a woman who got in a wreck from pulling slivers of glass out of her own neck.

And talk about how he was thinking 'Knock it off, you dumb bitch, I really don't want to see you bleed out'. A real charmer, but I guess it's actions that matter.

I definitely know the feeling - empathy is a bitch. I can't see someone in or heading toward discomfort or trouble without wanting to help. I just have to do it. And if I can think of something to make them happier, I'll try that. Even if it's something little like asking a store clerk how they are and thanking them when I leave.

With people I know, it's worse, because I have to tell them things they don't want to hear. Even if I know they're going to be mad, I have to say something in the hope it will get through and save them some pain.

Kamar on
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anosognos wrote: »
    AMP'd wrote: »
    bad-beat your stories are just so british

said the user named queue

is there another way to spell the word

L I N E

In America, queue is reserved for software, like in a music or download queue.

*spits tobacco*

oh so it would be more accurate in america to say we were running a line on your mother last night

Late, but I was at work:

No, absolutely not. You'd never say "running a line on" my mother.

It might be, "lining up for" or "in line for" or "in line for" or "all lined up for" my mother.

Never "running a line on" and certainly never "running a queue on."

Jesus. You are British.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The proper American way to say it is "Last night, we ran a train on Anosognos's mother"

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes, this is what I'm talking about. TheStig is clearly American or at least a linguistic scholar who is very familiar with American language.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zen- wrote: »

I do this too

it is troubling

apparently it can be annoying

I also say m'aam and sir alot

Whatever I say thank you all the time and I'm American, it's called being raised to be polite! Plus I'm in customer service and I say it all the time to feign actual politeness.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I do it too. I actually don't have a problem with it except when I slip and say it when makes absolutely no sense. Like I hold a door open and then thank the person as they walk through.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Or you say "thanks, you too" when people wish you a Happy Birthday or tell you to enjoy your meal or whatever

Goddamn manners

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I do nice things all the time

Once I found $200 in cash laying on the ground. I turned it in to lost and found.

Sheri on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    today an old lady bought me some chocolate

also sheri you are weird as shit

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sheri wrote: »

Once I found $200 in cash laying on the ground. I turned it in to lost and found.

one time I found $200 lying on the ground

I couldn't find an owner so I took a bunch of friends out to dinner

I am a bad person

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fandyien wrote: »
    today an old lady bought me some chocolate

also sheri you are weird as shit

Nah

It's cash, no one is going to claim it because no one expects anyone to turn it in.

I filled out the little form that said if no one claimed it in 3 months, they'd send it to me

3 months later, I got $200.

Sheri on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Or you say "thanks, you too" when people wish you a Happy Birthday or tell you to enjoy your meal or whatever

Goddamn manners

Ed, are we the same person?

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fyndir wrote: »

Goddamn manners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qSlEtJkPc

1:30

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TheStig wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »

Goddamn manners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qSlEtJkPc

1:30

So, what you're telling me is...me and Ed are both that person?

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Me you and Ed.

TheStig on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »

one time I found $200 lying on the ground

I couldn't find an owner so I took a bunch of friends out to dinner

I am a bad person

Heh, me too SH. Sadly, it's nearly impossible to find the original owner of dollah billz

"Found" money I usually end up giving to homeless people or charities. Occasionally though, some of that stuff goes into the Didge Fund

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One time I was walking with my senior manager down the street from lunch and we were talking about getting piss drunk or something. I saw an older lady with a walker stuck in a revolving door. Everyone leaving the restaurant kept taking the handicapped door to avoid her.

Anyway I stopped my senior mid-sentence and helped the lady get out. She said thank you and I said no problem. Then got back to my senior and told him to continue, not stopping to hear him praise me (as I didn't think I really deserved it. It's just a polite thing to do).

Well 2 months later I was being reviewed by my career advisor based on my work and I guess the senior told her about the door thing and I got some good stuff in my personnel file about that.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, what is the proper etiquette for opening a door for someone if there is second door right after the first (like at restaurants)?

If someone opens the first door for me, do I open the second? If I know there is a second, do I forgo the first door and keep the second one open? Do I rush ahead of the person to get both doors?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just finished up the best date/night/morning in around three years.

Gonna go frolic in a meadow or something I am in such a good mood.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Also, what is the proper etiquette for opening a door for someone if there is second door right after the first (like at restaurants)?

If someone opens the first door for me, do I open the second? If I know there is a second, do I forgo the first door and keep the second one open? Do I rush ahead of the person to get both doors?

Let them get the door and if they hesitate on the second one, say "don't stop now, you were doing so well."

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So hey sounds like Weaver got laid

Good job, Weaver

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If the doors are close enough together you can sometimes hold both open at once.

I don't recommend it, but it's possible.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    grats weaver!

skettios on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Do the thing where you go through the door first but hold it open behind you, then as soon as they're through step forward and open the next one. Then follow them to their car and open their door for them, or they might think you're not fully committed to the cause.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GUYS

Brotips

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2011
    oh hey i used over 2GB of data on my phone last month

so glad i have unlimited

i'm also glad that my phone bill went back down to $60 from $110 from the past couple months (due to paying the phone off)

i'll afford my bills yet!!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i am not nice

Clint Eastwood on