Options

Some people are nice

12345679»

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

"some say to flip a coin to make decisions - not to get an answer, but because when it's in the air, you'll know what you're hoping for"

i actually like that

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    I do nice things all the time

Once I found $200 in cash laying on the ground. I turned it in to lost and found.

one time I found $200 lying on the ground

I couldn't find an owner so I took a bunch of friends out to dinner

I am a bad person

Heh, me too SH. Sadly, it's nearly impossible to find the original owner of dollah billz

"Found" money I usually end up giving to homeless people or charities. Occasionally though, some of that stuff goes into the Didge Fund

one time i found a 5 dollar bill in a fred meyer self-checkout machine

i gave it to swill for his birthday and that is the end of my only story about finding money

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i am not nice

the other day at work a girl said that i make her feel fat and i said "Well...." and her jaw just dropped.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Oh man. There are some gems on that site.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that's a good site

it's more along the lines of artofmanliness.com
    and less askmen.com

redfenix on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love Art of Manliness

And I was initially wary of Brotips because of the name but there's some really good stuff on there I think

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tumblr_lfpmro9T7V1qc4oqso1_400.jpg
    Julio Diaz has a daily routine. Every night, the 31-year-old social worker ends his hour-long subway commute to the Bronx one stop early, just so he can eat at his favorite diner. But one night last month, as Diaz stepped off the No. 6 train and onto a nearly empty platform, his evening took an unexpected turn.

He was walking toward the stairs when a teenage boy approached and pulled out a knife.

“He wants my money, so I just gave him my wallet and told him, ‘Here you go,’” Diaz says.

As the teen began to walk away, Diaz told him, “Hey, wait a minute. You forgot something. If you’re going to be robbing people for the rest of the night, you might as well take my coat to keep you warm.”

The would-be robber looked at his would-be victim, “like what’s going on here?” Diaz says. “He asked me, ‘Why are you doing this?’”

Diaz replied: “If you’re willing to risk your freedom for a few dollars, then I guess you must really need the money. I mean, all I wanted to do was get dinner and if you really want to join me … hey, you’re more than welcome.

“You know, I just felt maybe he really needs help,” Diaz says.

Diaz says he and the teen went into the diner and sat in a booth. “The manager comes by, the dishwashers come by, the waiters come by to say hi,” Diaz says. “The kid was like, ‘You know everybody here. Do you own this place?’”

“No, I just eat here a lot,” Diaz says he told the teen. “He says, ‘But you’re even nice to the dishwasher.’”
    Diaz replied, “Well, haven’t you been taught you should be nice to everybody?”

“Yea, but I didn’t think people actually behaved that way,” the teen said.

Diaz asked him what he wanted out of life. “He just had almost a sad face,” Diaz says. The teen couldn’t answer Diaz — or he didn’t want to.

When the bill arrived, Diaz told the teen, “Look, I guess you’re going to have to pay for this bill ‘cause you have my money and I can’t pay for this. So if you give me my wallet back, I’ll gladly treat you.” The teen “didn’t even think about it” and returned the wallet, Diaz says. “I gave him $20 … I figure maybe it’ll help him. I don’t know.”

Diaz says he asked for something in return — the teen’s knife — “and he gave it to me.” Afterward, when Diaz told his mother what happened, she said, “You’re the type of kid that if someone asked you for the time, you gave them your watch.”

“I figure, you know, if you treat people right, you can only hope that they treat you right. It’s as simple as it gets in this complicated world.”

Found this floating around on Tumblr.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's an awesome story. Do you have the link for it?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unfortunately not. The source has been lost to the mists of Tumblr.

Also Brotips is awesome.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that is easily the most christian behavior I've heard about since I read that Gandhi biography

edit: I just googled the first sentence and this was the result

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    I do nice things all the time

Once I found $200 in cash laying on the ground. I turned it in to lost and found.

one time I found $200 lying on the ground

I couldn't find an owner so I took a bunch of friends out to dinner

I am a bad person

Honestly if I found money on the ground and no one was around, I would keep it. I am a jerk.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I found $5 on the bus. I took it to the bus driver and he told me "Nobody's going to claim this. You may as well keep it."

I insisted he take it because I couldn't, in good conscience, take that just because I found it.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was with a friend at an atm the other day when she found an extra $10 in the withdrawal she had made.

She went and found the guy who had used it before her and asked him if he was missing money from his withdrawal. Turns out he did, so she returned it to him.

I thought that was pretty nice.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Some people are, indeed, nice

Please delay bombing the world into ash, Judgemental Alien Assholes

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think we can put forth better evidence of humankind's worth than just being polite

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Once, back when I was still somewhat religious/spiritual/whatever I was walking around my dorm complex contemplating what it means to be a good or honest person. I don't really remember the context or what exactly my thoughts were, but the general idea was that I was trying to persuade myself that I wasn't just another leech of a human being and that I was genuinely altruistic.

Well as soon as I finish up this thought I find a roll of dollar bills just sitting in the middle of the sidewalk. I looked around and there was nobody anywhere nearby that looked like they had come from this direction, just some folks hanging out by the café on the other side of the parking lot from where I was.
    It seemed unbelievable that this money could be sitting out here in the open and nobody noticed it. It felt really off. I counted it, just twelve dollars. Not something most folks are going to trace back their steps hoping to recover. I went to the main office which was only a few steps from where I found the cash but it was closed.

I knew the chances of the original owner getting it back were almost nothing and twelve bucks was a decent amount of money to get for free and I really considered just pocketing it, even feeling foolish or embarrassed that I was trying to turn it in.

Still, I felt really weird, like I was being tested so I leaned over the counter and found a stack of fliers for some campus event, took the top flier and folded it in half, writing a brief summary of where I found the cash and folded the flier around the stack of money.

I'm pretty-much convinced that whoever had desk duty at that building the following morning just pocketed the bills but it made me feel good at the time to do the honest thing. If I had just taken the money I would have felt like I was only proving to myself that nobody's truly altruistic.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Last year at Lollapalooza I found a cellphone on the ground so I tried to call the last number on it. I couldn't get ahold of anyone and the battery started to die so I took it to the charge station. While it was charging I guess I got a bunch of texts being like "give me back my fucking phone you fucking asshole" and shit like that. I didn't see the texts until like an hour later and at that point I was tempted to take the battery and ditch the phone. Instead I just wrote back and said 'sorry I was charging your phone so I didn't see your messages. Where do you want to meet to get your phone?'

When I found the girl she was a fucking bitch to me and was like "took you long enough to find this and get it back to me"

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!