As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bro[chat]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mim wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    So MySpace lost ten million users in the last couple of months. Haha.

Suck it, Murdoch.

Tell me when Facebook loses a giant amount.

*sends Mim a Friendster invite*

You guys ... you guys still use Friendster, right?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

Suck it, Murdoch.

Did they start charging or something?

They're rebranding the site to be more music-focused, but the general malaise affecting it is simply that it just plain lost the social network battle with Facebook.

To be fair, the only context in which I ever come across myspace is band pages.

I'm sure it's possible to have personal pages, but I can't see any clear reason why anyone would.

MySpace started out as a site geared towards bands, and then mutated into a general social networking clusterfuck of glitter .gifs and now that audience has migrated en masse to Facebook so I guess MySpace has nowhere to go but backwards.

This is a good thing

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My favourite part of F1 these days is Christian Horner's mind games. Potential Aussie GP spoilers:
    "So Christian, we're hearing that Sebastian didn't use KERS on that [ridiculously fast] quali lap."
    "That's correct."
    "The rumours are flying that you've come up with an innovative use for the KERS, such as a mini-KERS or a launch control system. Do you have any comment on that?"
    "Well, KERS has advantages and disadvantages. The car is compliant with the technical regulations."

japan on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Time to cycle home. Boo to working on Sunday, but I got most of what I wanted to do done.

Bogart on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Later Brogart.

Also I is working too so don't feel alone. Only 13 hours to go!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey any of you smart sons of guns know if it's possible to buy something on the app store, then download it later?

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Time to cycle home. Boo to working on Sunday, but I got most of what I wanted to do done.

Where are the parties and the funfunfunfun and the getton' down on the weekend? Promises were made!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

Suck it, Murdoch.

W-what's a Friendster?

Mim on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Suck it, Murdoch.

W-what's a Friendster?

It was Facebook/Myspace/Twitter before those became big.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Suck it, Murdoch.

W-what's a Friendster?

Exactly!

One year you're at the top of the social networking heap with the likes of AIM, Geocities, and Friendster and the next year you're just a bad memory.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    facebook seems to be getting the same hubris

tides can change very quickly on the internet

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    this webcomic isn't bad : )

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    facebook seems to be getting the same hubris

tides can change very quickly on the internet

Doesn't cost anyone anything to switch is the thing, really.

And with social things you tend to get a domino effect once a few people switch.

japan on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011

you fooooool

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i am unsearchable on facebook, because I am a boss.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaker's Corner is good fun and being A nice day it is packed, packed full of Christian lay preachers. Far less stop the war types than I would have expected but I guess I have to take what I can

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    were there commercials that directed people towards a company or product's myspace page?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, cool. At some point "move to new window" in Tab Mix Plus changed to a different method which allows plugins to keep running seamlessly. I just moved a Youtube video from one window to another and it didn't even skip.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »

I am searchable but you ain't getting nothing more then my smiling face unless you's a homey.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »

I don't have a facebook or a Twitter account. I just spew whatever thoughts I have on the PA forums and that's good enough for me.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Facebook is an evil necessity for finding out about parties and such I want to avail myself of without having to rely on word of mouth.

My good friend is a staunch anti-facebooker, and as such, occasionally gets left out of stuff (unintentionally, obviously) as result.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

you fooooool

: )

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Facebook is an evil necessity for finding out about parties and such I want to avail myself of without having to rely on word of mouth.

My good friend is a staunch anti-facebooker, and as such, occasionally gets left out of stuff (unintentionally, obviously) as result.

Yeah, it's just how the world is. If you want to not have a facebook account then that is A-OK, but you don't get to bitch when you are left out of the loop.

It's getting to same level as "not having a telephone", which is pretty damn impressive.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited March 2011

small price to pay

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Yeah, it's just how the world is. If you want to not have a facebook account then that is A-OK, but you don't get to bitch when you are left out of the loop.

It's getting to same level as "not having a telephone", which is pretty damn impressive.

that's a gross exaggeration

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

small price to pay

I erred on the side of having one, but not putting any information on it.

japan on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Facebook is a kinda necessary evil so I can keep in touch with people, especially Uni friends.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

small price to pay

This is a tactically sound maneuver.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

small price to pay

I have one with no information, a false name and email but that doesn't do me terribly much good

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

that's a gross exaggeration

Not really. At uni you'd meet the odd guy who didn't have a phone because "fighting the man" or whatever. IT was fine. It just meant that he was rarely invited to things.

Parties and whatnot are now solely organised via facebook events. That event invite is the only notice you're getting. No facebook, no invite. It's not intentional, it's just how it is. Case in point, my leaving the country drinks were an epic event featuring friends from across the country. Girl from the lab downstairs wasn't there. Turns out, she was not even aware of the aforementioned drinks. Ooops.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, when I was traveling around NZ in Nov/Dec, I met all kinds of awesome people from all kinds of (presumably) awesome places. So if I ever visit Austria, Manchester, Glasgow, and a bunch of other places, I've got people I can easily find to kick it with.

Doubly so for the importance of sharing rad pictures of 200 foot waterfalls and junk.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

This happens to me sometimes, which is annoying but if my friends are so lazy as to only use one method to make people aware of special events then I'd rather not enable them. Besides I spend considerable effort trying to make sure people are involved so I expect some sort of reciprocity. Which to be fair is like 90% of the time

Kalkino on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I have a toolbox of a friend that does this.

"Whaaaa Why didn't anyone call me?"
    "How was I suppose to know it was Abby's Birthday?"
    "When did you guys break up?"

It's like "Dude, facebook."

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

small price to pay

I have one with no information, a false name and email but that doesn't do me terribly much good

It means you can make the necessary connections with the people you want to communicate with without making yourself searchable.

Facebook is semi-explicitly designed such that it tries everything it can to prevent people from remaining unsearchable, so it's really the only practical approach.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »

This happens to me sometimes, which is annoying but if my friends are so lazy as to only use one method to make people aware of special events then I'd rather not enable them. Besides I spend considerable effort trying to make sure people are involved so I expect some sort of reciprocity. Which to be fair is like 90% of the time

Yeah it's not really common, and it's more of a extended-friend-circle issue when it does happen. Not something that occurs with core homeys, ya dig?

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The "only notification going through facebook" thing is also annoying because it relies on the assumption that just because someone has a facebook, they're regularly checking it.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, I now imagine Elldren making day-to-day social plans by marking specially designated post-boxes with chalk, then dead-dropping the details in a nearby alley.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, there is a big anti regime protest outside the Iranian embassy. Sadly since I cannot understand Persian I am at a loss as totheir particular points might be

Kalkino on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The "only notification going through facebook" thing is also annoying because it relies on the assumption that just because someone has a facebook, they're regularly checking it.

You know you can configure email alerts for this.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    The wife is on facebook. She is my proxy.

Bogart on
This discussion has been closed.