Options

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Arthil wrote:
    Wait the pre-order is only $5?

Also... seems they're ramping up with some advertising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwcyJY9eEw

the five euro-dollar pre-order deposit for beta appears to be a europe only thing as it's being managed by frogster over here.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Yeah, the deal falls apart where I'd have to give my credit card information to Frogster.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    tumblr_lul2t6Pjgz1qbofzr.jpg

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    I'm impressed they're letting people keep their characters/progress from the testing phases.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Beta Test Schedule

Closed Beta Test 1: February 10 – 12
    Closed Beta Test 2: February 24 – 26
    Closed Beta Test 3: March 9 – 11
    Closed Beta Test 4: March 23 – 25
    Closed Beta Test 5: April 6 – 8
    Open Beta Test: April 19 – 22
    Head Start: April 28 – May 1

Looks like they're holding them every other weekend or so up until release

Beezel on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Swag lists for both the NA and EU versions

LOOKATTHATLION.jpg

Beezel on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Aumni wrote:
    I'm impressed they're letting people keep their characters/progress from the testing phases.

Read it carefully, they're letting you keep the same character between BETA tests, not into release.

@Beezel You could have left that unspoilered and it would have been scaled down to non "OH FUCK MY H-SCROLL" levels.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    yeah more than likely the only character you'll be able to keep is the people able to access the head start

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Login Screen. No it doesn't work yet. Won't be able to patch or anything until the beta starts

teralogin.jpg

Beezel on
  • Options
    So are spoilers for anyone else not working? And again Beezel, the forums will resize your pictures for you.

• Options
    OH! I wasn't aware. I'll take the spoiler tags off

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Wait wait wait wait... I noticed an issue.
    Pre-ordering from the En Masse Entertainment store

But you can't order the physical collector's edition thru the En Masse store! D:

So if you get the Physical awesome edition with all the cool stuff, you don't get head start?!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    as I am interested in this game, I do have some misgivings and I think I'll wait to hear from some of you who pre-order and get in Beta before I decide on buying this or not.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Yeah there is no NDA so information and streams should likely be coming thick and fast.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote:

But you can't order the physical collector's edition thru the En Masse store! D:

So if you get the Physical awesome edition with all the cool stuff, you don't get head start?!

You get a code through whatever retailer you buy this from according to the twitter.

• Options
    Beezel wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:

You get a code through whatever retailer you buy this from according to the twitter.

Yeah, I remember how well that worked out for people with SW:TOR...

Well, I pre-ordered the standard edition, since Amazon doesn't have the super awesome collector's edition up yet.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Not sure how to express my reaction at those EU-US price comparisons.
    No, wait, I know: "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"

Glal on
  • Options
    The official forums are back up.

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums

Looking pretty snazzy too.

Steam
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    This game doesn't really interest me, but wow, those animators need to be given a gold star or something because they did a pretty awesome job for an MMO.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I could see myslf maybe preordering this. Maybe even the swanky super deluxe one. Looks nice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If you purchase a physical collectors edition in addition to the copy you have purchased through the en-masse store our account management system will generate two completely separate accounts. So you will be unable to apply the collectors eddition benefits towards your already purchased digital copy through the En Masse Store. So in your case 2 completely separate accounts requiring game time would be generated under your e-mail account.

Fffffffffffffffffffff!!!

Steam
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    If you purchase a physical collectors edition in addition to the copy you have purchased through the en-masse store our account management system will generate two completely separate accounts. So you will be unable to apply the collectors eddition benefits towards your already purchased digital copy through the En Masse Store. So in your case 2 completely separate accounts requiring game time would be generated under your e-mail account.

Fffffffffffffffffffff!!!

really? Really? REALLY? o_O

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:

Fffffffffffffffffffff!!!

I know right? I can't just apply the Collector's Edition retail code to my regular account to get the benefits. So now I have to see about cancelling the En Masse order, or just not worry about the lion mount and the two trinkets.

Steam
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:

Fffffffffffffffffffff!!!

That's...

Amateurish

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Meh. I got it all taken care of.

Customer service is apparently doing pretty good. Quick and helpful replies.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    Decided to pay the fiver anyway. Good news is that the thing goes entirely through PayPal so Frogster doesn't get their hands on my credit card info. PayPal does, though.

But oh well, five bucks for a broken demo. Better than fifty bucks for a broken demo.

• Options
    I'm not sure PayPal having your credit card info is any better to be honest.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I know. It's like having to choose who babysits your daughter while you're on a business trip: an angry drunk homeless man or an angry drugged up homeless man.

reVerse on
  • Options
    So wait, Bas Rutten is the official face of TERA? Wait what?

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    I am super interested in this still, but I don't know if I want to commit to another full price MMO right now. I absolutely love the art style, graphics and gameplay from what I've seen, but I'm worried that being a korean game it'll just end up as super grindy and samey like the lineage series.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    Riale wrote:
    I am super interested in this still, but I don't know if I want to commit to another full price MMO right now. I absolutely love the art style, graphics and gameplay from what I've seen, but I'm worried that being a korean game it'll just end up as super grindy and samey like the lineage series.

The interesting thing about this game is that initially it didn't do too well in Korea because it wasn't very grindy at all. There's a lot of quests, repeatable quests and people were shooting up to the (then) max level of 50 in 2 and a half weeks and not having anything to do. BHS "fixed" the game for them not by making it more grindy but by adding a crapton of content. It's something like the fourth of fifth most played mmo over there and climbing last I heard.

The leveling structure is actually set up a lot like WoW. Reports from english speaking players currently playing the korean and japanese retail versions are that you will end up overleveled a lot and that you end up abandoning a ton of quests before heading off to the next locale.

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    I guess my only other concern is system requirements. I know I exceed the recommended requirements listed on their page, but I am leery of many previous MMOs that have been poorly optimized. This game looks gorgeous and appears to have a lot of advanced lighting/reflection effects, so I wonder how well it will perform in a big battle.

I mean, my rig runs SW:TOR at like 25fps on medium-ish settings (which is a pretty poorly optimized game for what it is) but I couldn't see playing an action-MMO with anything less than a steady 30-60fps.

I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see what impressions from the first beta sessions are. I've been playing a ton of Dragon Nest lately, which is satisfying my urge for a more action-based MMO, but I'd like something with a little more meat on it.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    It tends to be that in-house engines usually perform the best, I'm not sure whether the engine that TERA uses is in fact in-house.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    It runs on Unreal3. which isn't very demanding and scales nice. Any computer made or built within the past five years should be able to run it on high or medium high settings. Though I've been hearing that there is texture pop-in that's typical to the engine.

Beezel on
  • Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    It runs on Unreal3. which isn't very demanding and scales nice. Any computer made or built within the past five years should be able to run it on high or medium high settings. Though I've been hearing that there is texture pop-in that's typical to the engine.

I'll take streaming over stuttering any day.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kysjVK6dd8k

Boss fight going horribly wrong. Tank gets gibbed half-way through and it's up to a Berserker to man up and put in some pinch hit tank work.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    So the principle difference between this and [x] mmo is that you walk up to them and swing your sword as opposed to hitting tab, walking up to them and swinging your sword?

I guess I could see that being intereseting during a boss fight (if it's set up right). But even if the game isn't grindy, that's going to get really damn annoying when you're doing trash mobs and the effect is the exact same as any other mmo except now you have to chase around any mob that likes to move a few feet to the left.

Also consider this is a perspective from someone who thought monster hunter was boring as hell, so if it's literally going to be monster hunter the mmo...

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Did you think God of War was boring? Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Heavenly Sword, etc? This isn't Monster Hunter in that you need to kill the same boss 50 times to get enough drops to make your next piece of armour, just in that the combat isn't merely a matter of tabbing, cycling your abilities and avoiding pool of death.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    well, the difference is you can walk up and start swinging. But what happens when what you're hitting decides it wants to hit you back? Instead of letting a stat dictate if you dodge, parry or block. You actively have to do that, or you run the risk of getting yourself oneshot against some of the tougher creatures in the game. The term "monster hunter-like" is mostly from a mechanics/movement perspective. Mostly taking the good parts of MH, like having to manually hit and aim your attacks and aiming for weak points, and marrying it to traditional mmo gameplay and asthetics that make that genre enjoyable to people on a larger scale than what MH did.

(you do very little chasing around btw. Monsters are very aggressive)

Only thing I can say is to wait for the open beta to see if it's something you'd like or not.

Beezel on
  • Options
    Bosses have weak points? Sweet.

This discussion has been closed.