Options

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Thinking about picking this up, been following it for a while. I'm pretty burnt out on WoW, ToR was a huge letdown for me. I like MMOs, I just want something a little different, can't wait for the betas.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So has it been clarified if NA peoples are getting a sneak peak as well if we pre-order?

Because as far as I've heard it's been EU only.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    This has nothing to do with EU pre-orders, it's all a sneak peak... which anyone can get into if they get a key.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I've come to the realization finally that official forums for any game are just flat out awful

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    I've come to the realization finally that official forums for any game are just flat out awful

Yep!

I generally don't bother unless I am looking for specific information about something.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    In other news, I'm looking forward to hearing opinions from the lucky gents who are going to be playing the sneak peek tomorrow.

• Options
    Let's hope the game doesn't encounter a random error while installing this time.

• Options
    I'm seeing an increasing number of complaints concerning this game having an subscription fee across multiple online outlets. Is this a thing now? I'm not trying to sound like a smartass or something but I was genuinely curious since it seems like there's a growing amount of animosity towards that particular business model, not just this game in particular but for the genre in general.

Do any feel that way here? If so I'd like to know what led you to that opinion.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The subscription fee is a dying, antiquated business model and any game that continues to drag it out deserves all the scorn in the world for it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Well huh. I had no clue people felt so strongly about that. But then again I haven't played many games that had a subscription fee. Given how long ago that was, I kind of agree.

EDIT: Last game I tried that had a subscription fee tied to it was SWTOR.(not that long ago, but before that the last game I played was WoW) Which I felt was kind of a shitpile of a game but that's neither here nor there. I promptly cancelled my subscription before my free month was up. But I remember feeling pretty damn insulted that they were going to charge me more money for that. Hell I felt insulted for having paid the box price to begin with.

Beezel on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    I'm seeing an increasing number of complaints concerning this game having an subscription fee across multiple online outlets.
    It's because it's an Asian MMO, which are mostly cheap F2P grindfests. TOR just came out and I don't think anyone was shocked it required a subscription.

• Options
    Glal wrote:
    Beezel wrote:
    I'm seeing an increasing number of complaints concerning this game having an subscription fee across multiple online outlets.
    It's because it's an Asian MMO, which are mostly cheap F2P grindfests. TOR just came out and I don't think anyone was shocked it required a subscription.

No one was shocked, but that doesn't mean people liked the fee.

• Options
    People want everything for free, news at 11.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Only game I really enjoyed paying for, and in fact voted in favor of the game increasing it's subscription rate so they could hire more staff and improve the servers was Asheron's Call. Cause if I'm going to be paying 10-15 dollars a month I'd like to see something each month. I'm totally cool with mini DLC every month in exchange for a monthly fee. But games that don't change much or improve much and still charge monthly are a little blah. But server upkeep is expensive.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Only game I really enjoyed paying for, and in fact voted in favor of the game increasing it's subscription rate so they could hire more staff and improve the servers was Asheron's Call. Cause if I'm going to be paying 10-15 dollars a month I'd like to see something each month. I'm totally cool with mini DLC every month in exchange for a monthly fee. But games that don't change much or improve much and still charge monthly are a little blah. But server upkeep is expensive.

You've been lied to friend, it's dirt cheap compared to every other expense.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Yeah that aspect of it has always been a load. Paying for bandwidth maybe. Paying staff to develop new content? Yeah I can see that. coupled with advertising and marketing.

Beezel on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    The more you know

• Options
    Rumor Mill:

Currently in kTERA they are in the process of tuning their first 20 man pve content. Largest obstacle to development so far has been trying to figure out how to do it in a collision based combat environment.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'm fine with subs, keeps the riffraff out.

Also cash shops are annoying. Because I have no willpower and those shiny wings make me poor.

Horse armor in Oblivion? Insulted, good sir!
    Horse armor in some F2P korean grindfest? GIVE ME ALL YOUR ARMOR AND YOUR HORSES.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Also cash shops are annoying. Because I have no willpower and those shiny wings make me poor.

Horse armor in Oblivion? Insulted, good sir!
    Horse armor in some F2P korean grindfest? GIVE ME ALL YOUR ARMOR AND YOUR HORSES.

Yeah... pretty much this exactly.

I an honestly say that my willpower for the cash shop shiny things is low. I actually paid $40 real dollars for super awesome gun in APB. Whisper OC2 for anyone that's played the game. Nevermind all the cash shop money I spent on AoC.

Just give me a sub, PLEASE!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Arthil wrote:

There's an image that shows Guild Wars upkeep costs, they make more than enough just from new copies of the game to pay all costs every month, and server upkeep is one of the lowest of those. If I can find it I'll have to post it, it really surprised me.

Edit - I think this is the one.

88778904.jpg

Blendtec on
  • Options

Yes, everyone knows that the community in WoW is a high quality bunch of classy gentlemen.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Compared to your average F2P MMO? Yes. If you thought people got uppity about Their $15 Dollars you've not seen uppity over $5US. And while it doesn't keep them out sticking a box cost on a game keeps botters and farmers down, provided the publisher is cracking down and closing their accounts.

Glal on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Blendtec wrote:
    Arthil wrote:

There's an image that shows Guild Wars upkeep costs, they make more than enough just from new copies of the game to pay all costs every month, and server upkeep is one of the lowest of those. If I can find it I'll have to post it, it really surprised me.

Edit - I think this is the one.

88778904.jpg

Would be nice to see their income statement. That chart shows their operating costs at 90-110 million per quarter. Payroll is approximately 50% of their cost from those numbers.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    http://www.mmogames.com/giveaways/tera-online-sneak-peek-access-key-giveaway

Another batch of keys appear to have just gone up

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    And gone.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Apparently everyone who pre-ordered gets in the sneak peek.

reVerse on
  • Options
    That'd be lovely. <3

• Options
    We'd best organise a loli party for tomorrow or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVerse wrote:

What?

Where does it say that?!

Steam
  • Options
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

What?

Where does it say that?!

On Frogster's facetwitter or something.

EU only, obviously.

• Options
    reVerse wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

What?

Where does it say that?!

On Frogster's facetwitter or something.

EU only, obviously.
    Ffffffffffffffff!!!!

Steam
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So, anyone have a link where I can pre-order a collector's edition?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    So, anyone have a link where I can pre-order a collector's edition?
    http://tera.enmasse.com/
    http://tera-europe.com/home.html

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Do they charge up front for the whole thing, or wait until it ships?

• Options
    EU has an option to drop a fiver. if you order from the NA site for the digital version it basically works like an amazon preorder I'm thinking where it's basically "reserved" but they won't charge you money until it's time to ship out.

• Options
    I want the physical copy, which is why I can't find a link. I can't get it from En Masse either.

• Options
    ah, they don't link specifically to buy sites but they have a list at the bottom of the pre-order page of the retailers that are going to be carrying TERA

• Options
    Yeah, they all have a listing for TERA on their websites, and none have the collector's edition.

I am mainly just curious if anyone had heard anything recent about why this may be so in an interview or anything like that.

• Options
    I expect that it's only just been put together so retailers weren't aware. Now they are in negotiations with those guys and will update their listings when stuff is finalised.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.