As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Well, the previous outfits were ridiculously skimpy. Of course, it's not any worse than most of the other female outfits in the game. The outrage mainly seems to be because they look young. However, it's totally possible for people to look like that and just be short.

For example, my girlfriend of several years is 4'11", and is almost a year my senior. We're both in our 20s, but she could easily pass for 16 or 17, and is certainly not stumpy or squat. Some folks are just short.

Of course with the new outfits, it's not bad at all.

Ugh, what a horrible post for a totp.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Riale I'd like to introduce you to my Avatar's brother.

Anyway... the fact that the females of the little badger/dog people are fucking neko girls is the most stupid bullshit ever. I'm not sure what's worse, that or the female "Dwarves" in Lineage 2 being lolis while the males looked like traditional dwarves.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I find it even more stupid bullshit that there are people in this very thread who try to defend and justify that design decision. I bet those people also enjoy shows like Toddlers and Tiaras.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    I appreciate the fact Korean artists can essentially do whatever they want and the worlds tend to actually look interesting. I find it disappointing when they need to change it to fit the US market, which is where most of the hostility towards the changes came from.
    Arthil wrote:
    Riale I'd like to introduce you to my Avatar's brother.

Anyway... the fact that the females of the little badger/dog people are fucking neko girls is the most stupid bullshit ever. I'm not sure what's worse, that or the female "Dwarves" in Lineage 2 being lolis while the males looked like traditional dwarves.

http://www.lineage2.com/pds/images/wallpaper/gd1/Healer_1920x1200.jpg

Elin and Popori are not related in any form other than being on the same world, they aren't female/male opposites.
    Poporis

The popori nation is made up of two distinct races. The elin—small female humanoids—were created by the goddess Elinu out of her own divine essence. The popori are non-human beasts awakened to sentience by the elin. Both are small, and accustomed to not being taken seriously. Both are curious, candid, uncompromising, and utterly ferocious. Both are resolute and tenacious defenders of nature. They are quick to learn, and quick to judge. Losing a popori’s respect means you may never get an opportunity to regain it.

History

The Amanic War created deep scars on the continent of Arun. Elinu—the youngest dream-daughter of the Titan Arun—wept for her father’s pain and determined to protect him. From her own divine essence, she created the elin. When the task proved too much for the elin alone, they in turn awakened animals to create the popori. Together, they have worked to repair, protect, and preserve the world they live in.

http://www.tera-online.com/node/74

Do you think Gnomes and Lalafell are children too?

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Really? You're comparing real life toddlers being gussied up for pageants (which is disgusting, but that's a different can of worms) to a fantasy race in a videogame that wears revealing clothing? That's a pretty far cry, there. No one in here that I've seen is trying to justify pedophilia, or is even bringing it up as a topic. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of small, attractive women who are not underage. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with making characters like that. Cute/Attractive cat/bunny/fox/whatever girls have been a staple of both korean MMOs and japanese animation for a long time. This is simply an extension of that. While the characters are attractive, it's not as if they're all constantly boning each other. At the end of the day, it's an MMO, not some freaky asian sex simulator. What's been shown here is nothing more "extreme" than anything that has previously existed in korean (and to a lesser extent, some western) MMOs just fine.

I mean, christ, they already changed all of the armor for the race. What else would you like them to do?

At the end of the day, you're entitled to your own opinion about the art design of the game. However, I don't appreciate the disgusting personal attacks just because I disagree with you on the art style of a video game.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Listen I was just trying to be funny, aside from the silly 'normal' male 'wtfisthisshit' female thing in some games. I think my comparison still stands though, and yes Hunter_Killer that is supposed to be a "Dwarf". Think I had the same reaction when I saw a picture of some weird little catty looking people being called Dwarves too... it's one of my favorite fantasy races so it just tends to be jarring.

Arthil on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    No one in here that I've seen is trying to justify pedophilia, or is even bringing it up as a topic.
    That's the main problem I have with some of the arguments presented. They're just silly and unimportant, for one, but if you don't agree with every last nook and cranny of their inane bullshit, then you either fully support needless censorship or you're somehow a pedophile.

To everybody else? Not even an issue. Are people so bored that they have to search high and low for things to complain about? Really? Do you want to be that type of person?

Maybe that's not a fair assessment, though. There are certain things that people just find uncomfortable, even if the connection to what they dislike is vague and tenuous. People just sort of do that and it can't be helped. I don't know. I just want to cut down really awesome looking monsters as I do battle with some kind of dragon centaur robot.

Moving further into game discussion, I wonder how TERA is really going to feel in comparison to all of the other actiony MMOs that have been released recently. I heard about TERA before everything else, but if it doesn't really scratch the itch that the others do, there really won't be much of a point in playing it. I watched TotalBiscuit's video of it, though, and found myself longing. The urge to take control of a badgercat and bathe myself in the blood of immortals is strong.

• Options
    I just found the concept of a male badger(animal) creatures and female nekos being the same species weird. But now that I've been corrected... well really it's still odd but it wont stop me from hopping about as a little dog person in heavy armour.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    I didn't even read anyone else's posts on this page, so that wasn't directed at you. My apologies.

After playing League of Legends for what feels like forever, I'm used to the idea of strange discrepancies between male and female members of the same species. Yordles are the prime example of this, but I think that's mostly because Riot is just flying by the seat of their pants when it comes to the lore. The story is really just serving as a paper-thin excuse for the game style and it's all fairly malleable when it comes time to sell the player base some new $20 champion.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I play Vindictus quite a bit. I played Dragon's Nest to cap and gave up during the grind.

I somehow hope this satisfies the urge neither of those does. It seems to, though. While there is a lot of action, this still appears to be more or less a class based MMO. So its already in a different league, so much in the fact that you have tanks and healers and such. while in Dragon's Nest or vindictus everyone just goes hog wild and beats things up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I personally don't care about the Elin or the Popori. Nor do I plan on playing either one.

Anyone go to the En Masse Open House?

That would have been reason enough for me to go to PAX, if I had known about it enough in advance.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Yeah I am quite hyped for this game, despite my track record with all previous Asian MMOs. I don't even know what I'm going to play at this point, but I want to play something.

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    I will probably play everything just for the different playstyles.

• Options
    I will probably play everything just for the different playstyles.

I am going to play one of each armor type.

Cloth= Priest
    Light= Warrior
    Heavy= Berserker

Part of me is leaning Archer for Light armor, but ehhhh... I am not a huge fan of kiting around. I will decide in Beta.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    God I am still looking forward to this. Dont care if the Koreans were pissed as all he'll about the balance of certain things. The combat and art design are still Halle Berry in swordfish hot.

• Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    TERA Production Chat Transcript: September 2011

http://www.tera-online.com/node/895

I did not know it already had armor reskinning.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    TERA Production Chat Transcript: September 2011

http://www.tera-online.com/node/895

I did not know it already had armor reskinning.

Yeah, it was included in the last big Korean update, so we will be getting it at launch.

Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    In new news, beta registrations are go.

For Europeans: http://tera-europe.com/en/home.html

For Americans: http://www.tera-online.com/node/958

reVerse on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Ooh, thanks for the update.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It has begun *chorus*

I'll add those links to the OP and just clean it up in general either sometime tonight or in the morning when I get home. At work so I'm sort of limited :O

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If male Elin and female Popori exist and are playable, then I'll shut up.

Otherwise, the criticisms leveled against the thing stand solid.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    I'm excited about this game because it looks fun to play.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote:

I forget, weren't popori the "male of the species" of Elin, being that the former were created by the later? I was never too clear on that but I think that's how it was explained to me. In any case, for the elin, from what I've heard all instances of PANTSU and bare navel have been eliminated. Replaced with hotpants(???) personally I think they should have gone the Blade and Soul route and had ridiculously ornate and baggy clothing for their animal folk.

That all being said, the game still looks like a blast to play.

Beezel on
  • Options
    While it's on my mind. More korean group play, courtesy of Steparu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=572V9NvNunE

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Elin are all female.

Poporis are created by the Elin and are all male.

So yeah, the probably isn't going to happen.

Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, I figured so much. It's the official race of creepers, so it's not terribly surprising that the justifications hang by an imperceptible bit of cobweb.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    But Rorus, they're not the same race at all (they are in the Korean version). It's totally NOT creepy.

Besides, if you were a little girl, wouldn't you want to create chubby raccoon men? Of course you would.

edit: Wait, are they the same race in the western edition? I thought they made them separate in an attempt to make the two somehow less horrifying.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Dragon. Pimp. Wizards. c'moooonnn maaaaannnnn

• Options
    From what I'm reading the beta schedule is supposed to go: Invite only closed beta -> Open beta -> Release. If you were fortunate enough to participate in any of the community events you automatically have access to all phases of beta.

As to what we get at release that wasn't in the original korean release: (mostly heresay, nothing concrete but the chances are high)

*Raised level cap
    *a year's worth of additional content including about 7 end-game level dungeons in both regular and hard mode flavors
    *A transmogrification like service. Meaning if you have a set of armor you really like the look of, but get something new with better stats but it looks like warm ass? Swap the stats to your old piece and keep rockin' that pimp hand.
    *Political system

PvP people are going to get:
    *GvGvG. up to three way wars that can be declared between guilds, perks and rewards for victory.
    *10 vs 10 warzones. These are your typical WSG and Arathi basin type affairs.
    *FFA pvp depending on server type
    *Bounty system. That jerk you don't like? Put a price on his head.

From what I hear the only things that are probably not going to make it to release are the guild housing and jail system

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Any new ETA for release? If they are just starting the closed-beta restricted hour thing, I suspect we are still pretty far.

• Options
    Yeah we don't even know anything about the beta aside that it's going to be based on invite waves for the first phase of it. I suspect we're at least a couple months off from that point even

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    ...adding an underage boy race would make it less creepy?

• Options
    Glal wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

If I were playing with my very own underage boy I wouldn't have any free hands to complain about things on message boards.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Beezel wrote:
    *Bounty system. That jerk you don't like? Put a price on his head.

This type of thing is ALWAYS a "Yah, whatever." because there is never any significant penalty for dying. Hell, some games I have seen with a bounty system encouraged farming your friends for bounties.

Unless you are playing Eve.* Which has a bounty system.

* significance of death penalty depends on intelligence of player.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Glal wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Not really my point.

They would never add an underage boy race because that doesn't sell. Yes, that would still be off-putting, but at least we can remove one act of misogyny from the game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Blade and soul solved their "OH WON'T YOU THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" dilemma by making their little animal people race as androgynous as possible.
    gallery_2_4_186963.jpg

Beezel on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Man that still hasn't come out.

Wasn't that announced around the same time as TERA?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah. No western publishers have picked it up though. At least not yet.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    My personal opinion about the current subject is that I think it's a whole lot of hand waving and making a big deal out of something that really shouldn't be made a big deal of. But now it is and Enmasse is fixing the problem "just in case" because they'd rather not deal with a potential shitstorm since those are bad for business.

You have the vocal minority composed mostly of perverts and internet trolls piping up "HARGLEBARGLE, CENSORED GOODS! PREORDER CANCELLED" (they're still getting it, don't think for a second that they are not) And the rest who fall into the category of Moral White Knight SuperChristian (exaggeration, and there are trolls on that side of the fence as well) or just plain indifferent and just want a fun game to play with friends.

Bluehole and EnMasse were kind of stuck between catering to the sensibilities of people they know aren't even going to buy their game anyway yet complain the loudest, or risk media backlash they don't need. I feel they made the right choice that was a decent compromise short of just deleting the offending material wholesale.

Beezel on
  • Options
    They clearly have some creative people working there, so the best option is to dump the race completely and just put in something awesome.

They can do the same for the embarrasingly busty elf race stuff. Give us robot orcs or something.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.