As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    MORRIGAN is going to be in TERA?!

Suhweet!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Fuck. Yes.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Which only means Steve Valentine can't be far behind...

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Hngggggggggggggggggggggh.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Sinestral manor tripped a lot of people up that've never seen it before because it's the first fight in the game where there's something resembling a "Do this or you done fucked up" mechanic. Meaning the boss has to be interrupted before it spawns adds that chew up your healers.

In a way I'm glad a lot of people going forward are going to be going into a lot of these fights blind

First group I walked into that place with practically facerolled our way through. I was barely even capable of tanking majority of it from the hideous stuttering my dual core was causing and missing most of my blocks from it. I even spent half the last boss on the floor.

Outside of comp related problems the only "hard" thing I've run into was duoing BAM's and their ridiculous health pools with my friend constantly dying to DOT's from their AOE's on his berserker. That was more of a time issue and not an issue of dying, ever.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    Sinestral manor tripped a lot of people up that've never seen it before because it's the first fight in the game where there's something resembling a "Do this or you done fucked up" mechanic. Meaning the boss has to be interrupted before it spawns adds that chew up your healers.

In a way I'm glad a lot of people going forward are going to be going into a lot of these fights blind

First group I walked into that place with practically facerolled our way through. I was barely even capable of tanking majority of it from the hideous stuttering my dual core was causing and missing most of my blocks from it. I even spent half the last boss on the floor.

Outside of comp related problems the only "hard" thing I've run into was duoing BAM's and their ridiculous health pools with my friend constantly dying to DOT's from their AOE's on his berserker. That was more of a time issue and not an issue of dying, ever.

Well, your lag issues aside, the tank doesn't really have a hard job on the last boss. If the anyone else of your group knew what to look at for the gimmick of that fight can be avoided entirely. I went into it with a bunch of other people that never ran it and my first time didn't go as smoothly as yours did. But ymmv

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Man, only three characters. I just want to make more characters!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Man, only three characters. I just want to make more characters!

Go to another server.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Any reason not to stack MP/5 and HP/5 crystals? My priest has three 20mp crystals and it just works well in the early teens.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, I played the beta for about 20 minutes. It was fun and It made me realize that swtor totally should have had this sort of combat system.

Anyway, is there a good variety of possible builds later on? If so, that might sell me on a pre-order. Also, variety in armor? Or are all similar levels wearing the same style gear? Anything like customizable gear so you can make armor you like scale with you?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    You can play with different glyph builds here.

There is a form of customizable gear, but I haven't tried it yet. Makes what you are wearing look like something else.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options

There is a form of customizable gear, but I haven't tried it yet. Makes what you are wearing look like something else.

Yep, and there is a whole range of dyes, including ones that you can tweak into whatever color you want.

Last Beta I got 3 of the master dyes as a drop and gave my Castanic hot pink armor.

Steam
  • Options
    Any reason not to stack MP/5 and HP/5 crystals? My priest has three 20mp crystals and it just works well in the early teens.

I was wondering myself what the downside to this might be, as it seems perfect. At least for leveling. Maybe at max level you want other things for raids or whatever, but when out doing quests, the regen seems best as far as I can tell (haven't got any further than you though).

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    For DPS, the +crit damage crystals are so huge, you can't not use them. +% damage also are pretty huge. Tanks generally use damage reduction against bosses etc. Healers probably can, but you're gonna want damage reduc against bosses too I'd imagine.

• Options
    I'll be working all day sunday so I'll miss the rest of the beta weekend, but I've had fun. Playing with a controller worked very well, using L button and R button as modifiers let me have plenty of keybindings.

I enjoyed playing a Priest a bit more then a Lancer, especially once I got the spell combos down. But I never got to group for a dungeon so I couldn't see what Tanking was like. I'll keep the client installed in case I have more time with open beta.

Hopefully the game opens up more post-fae forest, I can see going through Isle of Dawn and the area after Velika City getting boring with multiple characters. Though at one point on the Priest I went exploring and found a new set of quests hubs separate from the quests I was doing at the time. Not sure if I skipped ahead or found an alternate path, but it felt nice stumbling on it. Something WoW's Cata questlines lacked.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting this at launch but I'll keep an eye on it. Overall I really liked the action game feel to it.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    colonel tigh, how did you get in my korean fantasy mmo!

• Options
    TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    Group PvP is amazing, FYI.

Wish I had recorded it...

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    So I missed Friday nights event, but was in Saturdays. Was able to run at graphic preset 1 with the effects dialed down and only group and enemy tags turned on.

My 31 sorc was doing against the level 41 stuff. I was hitting the 41 BAMs for up to 4k. When it came to the 46s my max hit was 700.

It was funny, only player detail right next to you was being rendered. The area was carpeted with players, but it looked clear beyond the close in. Could still see the monsters at any distance.

I was also murdered by the pack running through Velika at the end.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    leveled a priest this beta because i got a warrior in last time

actually pretty fun! enjoy the healing in this way more than any other mmo. also enjoy being a retard with the mana charge > shocking implosion > final reprisal > metamorphic wave shenanigans during fights I have no business being in melee range for

• Options
    For melee, I like the warrior class but I don't think it likes me. I do great up until I start getting abilities that use health/get better with low health, at which point I get myself into lots of trouble. It's also the only class I've played which has mana troubles on Island of Dawn. :P I mitigated the problems a lot with that and other classes by putting in MP/HP regen crystals into my gear... it really changes the game for every character, but especially those whose mana bar normally starts empty.

Ultimately, Berserker is by far my favorite melee class. I like its slow, deliberate pace and ability to stand in the mix and block enemy attacks.

Archer will undoubtedly be my main; I like the sorcerer class as well, but it just doesn't 'click' with me quite as perfectly as an archer, which makes me feel like a total badass, dodging around and picking enemies off. I think my biggest concern is what race to pick for the archer... strangely, Elin seems like my best choice because their backflip dodge is the coolest of the bunch, whereas everyone else does a fruity little spin move. Anyone know of other races that have particularly good animations for archers?

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    so as a warrior, I assume I just need to carry 99 bandages around ast all times, unless theres some secret way to heal after every battle.

also, I wanted to, but I don't think I'm gonna play on a pvp server. getting repeatedly ganked by level 40+ whatevers and having to recharge my stamina over and over and over again is not really fun at all. For the game to be so focused on you buffing yourself with charms and gathering buffs and shit then have you lose all that on death from actually people is kind of stupid. Then the whole not having an easy way to heal yourself as a warrior (as far as I know) without paying a fee to some healing asshole, it's kind of starting to reek of Korean mmo.

having single choke points out of towns easily camped by assholes doesn't help either. what the hell were they thinking. "theres no way this is the only way out of here..." yup, giant cliffs and walla on all sides. Camping prevention? what is this american way of thinking? you die, you go back to town and do it again!

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Why stop at 99 :-) Seriously though, the regen buff from gathering helps too.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    As near as I can tell, crafting in this game is beyond stupidly expensive.

And you can't store certain crafting components in the bank, so I hope you like carting them around.

Take away lesson, don't take up the crafting quests off of the bulletin board in the tutorial.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    so as a warrior, I assume I just need to carry 99 bandages around ast all times, unless theres some secret way to heal after every battle.

also, I wanted to, but I don't think I'm gonna play on a pvp server. getting repeatedly ganked by level 40+ whatevers and having to recharge my stamina over and over and over again is not really fun at all. For the game to be so focused on you buffing yourself with charms and gathering buffs and shit then have you lose all that on death from actually people is kind of stupid. Then the whole not having an easy way to heal yourself as a warrior (as far as I know) without paying a fee to some healing asshole, it's kind of starting to reek of Korean mmo.

having single choke points out of towns easily camped by assholes doesn't help either. what the hell were they thinking. "theres no way this is the only way out of here..." yup, giant cliffs and walla on all sides. Camping prevention? what is this american way of thinking? you die, you go back to town and do it again!

I'm assuming you are talking about the bridge out of lumbertown. You can actually go down the cliffside on the left of the bridge and go up the ramp from the river. There is no reason to go across the bridge, I don't understand how people don't see this. Also most gankers stick to the roads so if you go off the beaten path for your quests then you won't usually see them. And if you do see them you can mount up and ride off (The can't ride faster than you and you can still dodge their moves (They have to dismount to attack you, which makes their moves stupidly easy to dodge if you are still mounted)

Granted PVP servers aren't for everyone but at least in Tera you can do things about it when underleveled. Most other MMO's you are just screwed for the most part.

As for the healing a lot of times the monsters will drop healing motes or rejuv motes after battle. Honestly though the main way to heal in this game is to not get hit. You should be watching the enemy movements and moving out of the way. You are playing a warrior and are extremely nimble (You tank by dodging) there is no reason for you to be taking so much damage after each fight that you need to sit and heal it up. If you really are getting hurt there are healing potion and such that you can find/buy/get from lucky eggs.

Or if all that still doesn't work makes friends with a healer. But I can't stress enough, you should not be taking a lot of damage during fights if you are properly anticipating the enemy attacks. And as a warrior it is important to learn this if you plan on tanking or ever fighting a BAM because you are made of paper.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    As near as I can tell, crafting in this game is beyond stupidly expensive.

And you can't store certain crafting components in the bank, so I hope you like carting them around.

Take away lesson, don't take up the crafting quests off of the bulletin board in the tutorial.

Don't do those quests.

Those need to be removed and we've been pressuring EME to remove them for months now. Maybe they'll be gone in open beta.

• Options
    They don't paint a flattering picture though. Is crafting really that bad?

• Options
    It's very....roundabout. That's probably the kindest thing I'll ever say about the crafting system as it stands. I read through the tutorial on the website and even then I was like "Fuck this stupid bullshit" at the end of it. They need to get rid of it. I think they know, but I have a feeling it wasn't very high on their priority list in light of everything else they've been doing to the game.

• Options
    edited April 2012

I've heard it's soon on the list of things to revamp. The battleground revamp is what's taking all of BHS' focus right now, I believe.

It's actually easy to level up to 250 or so: just take the materials you gather and smelt/process them for skillups.

The biggest issue is that the runes needed for crafting actual items are far too rare.

TheRealDestian on
  • Options

I've heard it's soon on the list of things to revamp. The battleground revamp is what's taking all of BHS' focus right now, I believe.

It's actually easy to level up to 250 or so: just take the materials you gather and smelt/process them for skillups.

The biggest issue is that the runes needed for crafting actual items are far too rare.

See, I have to wonder about the rune thing. I mean, I have gotten at least 5 armor and 5 weapon uncommon runes in the last couple of days, never mind all of the white runes I have gotten too.

Steam
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Also, the best advice I can give to Tera players is this: MAKE FRIENDS!!!!

This game was meant to be played with a group and it vastly more enjoyable as a result. Just go in LFG and find a guild or a group of folks to level with. SOOO much better and you get exp boosts for grouping. Plus, gear is not the end-all in this game, meaning there's no reason to solo just to horde the drops like many seem to do in other MMOs.

I mean, THIS is so much more fun than leveling solo...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV2Pl_BZnVQ

TheRealDestian on
  • Options
    There's going to be a 5-ish gb patch worth of content and changes that's going up immediately after CBT5 tonight to prepare for Open beta

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey guys who love this game. Please forgive me, as I won't be very positive, though I understand some people love this game. (Note, all opinions from about seven hours of play, all done in a group.)

Pheny and I hopped on yesterday and played about five hours together (after two hours Friday night). Ended up getting both characters to about 16. Pheny also tried a few classes first, Lancer was his favorite. I played a Slayer.

All in all, the game felt fantastically grindy. Note: I use grindy not to mean "Must kill lots and lots of mobs to level." The pace of leveling was pretty fast. I just mean that I never really felt like there was much of a point to what I was doing. Even as the fights started getting a bit tougher, it was still just a game where I would zone out as we engaged a pull, click a bunch of buttons rather reflexively (did have to push them in approximately the right order, but there wasn't much thought to it: lead with this button, use this other button, if X happens, use Y ability), then move onto the next pull. Nothing ever really excited me. Nothing ever blew me away.

The game is super pretty. One of the nicest looking games I've played lately. I don't really like the incredibly sexist styling, though, and I won't open the loli-argument again, except to say I probably wouldn't buy the game on principle even if I did like it.

All in all, we uninstalled last night and don't expect to go back. If this was a free to play game like Vindictus I could see it being something people kept around with to play occasionally, but ultimately it felt in the bottom 50% of current MMO's on the market based on how boring it was. Nothing ever engaged me. I've heard several times that all the good stuff comes a bit later, but I think seven hours of gameplay without really ever being engaged or particularly enjoying myself is more than enough time. I'm sure there'll be a niche community for this, but if the current area chat is any sign, it'll mostly be 14-year old horny boys (and 30 year-olds who never outgrew 14). There were a couple nice ideas, and I hope they get copied over into better games.

Ok, I won't come back and smack-talk or anything. Just wanted to get my opinion in.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

I'm assuming you are talking about the bridge out of lumbertown. You can actually go down the cliffside on the left of the bridge and go up the ramp from the river. There is no reason to go across the bridge, I don't understand how people don't see this. Also most gankers stick to the roads so if you go off the beaten path for your quests then you won't usually see them. And if you do see them you can mount up and ride off (The can't ride faster than you and you can still dodge their moves (They have to dismount to attack you, which makes their moves stupidly easy to dodge if you are still mounted)

Granted PVP servers aren't for everyone but at least in Tera you can do things about it when underleveled. Most other MMO's you are just screwed for the most part.

As for the healing a lot of times the monsters will drop healing motes or rejuv motes after battle. Honestly though the main way to heal in this game is to not get hit. You should be watching the enemy movements and moving out of the way. You are playing a warrior and are extremely nimble (You tank by dodging) there is no reason for you to be taking so much damage after each fight that you need to sit and heal it up. If you really are getting hurt there are healing potion and such that you can find/buy/get from lucky eggs.

Or if all that still doesn't work makes friends with a healer. But I can't stress enough, you should not be taking a lot of damage during fights if you are properly anticipating the enemy attacks. And as a warrior it is important to learn this if you plan on tanking or ever fighting a BAM because you are made of paper.

most damage i take is from groups of small enemies. some are easy and some do a ton of damage. single mobs are no problem.

And no it wasn't eh bridge from lumbertown, it was the way out of cresentia near lumbertown, there is literally just a bottle neck way out of the town to go do certain quests, it's incredibly stupid and there were about 6 people just camping the spot.

The good news it, things are really starting to click. I am close to hitting 20 and things are getting a lot better. I'm starting to do a lot more damage on my warrior and getting more HP and MP, I have much less down time. I'm actually starting to have fun. :P

I was kind of dreading pre ordering this but things seem to get better at high levels. I'm still torn on a warrior or slayer though. Prob just gonna go with the warrior, I like having options in groups for tanking or dps.

I cannot fucking wait for evasive roll to use stamina and not have a cooldown, it's gonna freaking make warrior sooo much better.

Minerva_SC on
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    dp

Minerva_SC on
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Hey guys who love this game. Please forgive me, as I won't be very positive, though I understand some people love this game. (Note, all opinions from about seven hours of play, all done in a group.)

Pheny and I hopped on yesterday and played about five hours together (after two hours Friday night). Ended up getting both characters to about 16. Pheny also tried a few classes first, Lancer was his favorite. I played a Slayer.

All in all, the game felt fantastically grindy. Note: I use grindy not to mean "Must kill lots and lots of mobs to level." The pace of leveling was pretty fast. I just mean that I never really felt like there was much of a point to what I was doing. Even as the fights started getting a bit tougher, it was still just a game where I would zone out as we engaged a pull, click a bunch of buttons rather reflexively (did have to push them in approximately the right order, but there wasn't much thought to it: lead with this button, use this other button, if X happens, use Y ability), then move onto the next pull. Nothing ever really excited me. Nothing ever blew me away.

The game is super pretty. One of the nicest looking games I've played lately. I don't really like the incredibly sexist styling, though, and I won't open the loli-argument again, except to say I probably wouldn't buy the game on principle even if I did like it.

All in all, we uninstalled last night and don't expect to go back. If this was a free to play game like Vindictus I could see it being something people kept around with to play occasionally, but ultimately it felt in the bottom 50% of current MMO's on the market based on how boring it was. Nothing ever engaged me. I've heard several times that all the good stuff comes a bit later, but I think seven hours of gameplay without really ever being engaged or particularly enjoying myself is more than enough time. I'm sure there'll be a niche community for this, but if the current area chat is any sign, it'll mostly be 14-year old horny boys (and 30 year-olds who never outgrew 14). There were a couple nice ideas, and I hope they get copied over into better games.

Ok, I won't come back and smack-talk or anything. Just wanted to get my opinion in.

Those certainly are some opinions!

Sorry to hear the game didn't turn your crank. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for elsewhere.

• Options
    edited April 2012

most damage i take is from groups of small enemies. some are easy and some do a ton of damage. single mobs are no problem.

And no it wasn't eh bridge from lumbertown, it was the way out of cresentia near lumbertown, there is literally just a bottle neck way out of the town to go do certain quests, it's incredibly stupid and there were about 6 people just camping the spot.

The good news it, things are really starting to click. I am close to hitting 20 and things are getting a lot better. I'm starting to do a lot more damage on my warrior and getting more HP and MP, I have much less down time. I'm actually starting to have fun. :P

I was kind of dreading pre ordering this but things seem to get better at high levels. I'm still torn on a warrior or slayer though. Prob just gonna go with the warrior, I like having options in groups for tanking or dps.

I cannot fucking wait for evasive roll to use stamina and not have a cooldown, it's gonna freaking make warrior sooo much better.

Ah I think I know the spot you mean. There is a pass out of Cresentia with a large boulder on the left with trees right? The spot that you start teh escort quest with the conscript right? If that's the spot you can actually go to the left of those boulders and trees and there is a path around that pass as well.

@Darkewolfe it's unfortunate you didn't stick around long enough to actually get to the BAMs in the game. Ah well.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options

I hate to say it, but 4 more levels and you hit the good part.

And yes, I know that's no excuse. I've personally rode EME's ass about getting some more enjoyable content BEFORE level 20, but as it stands, 1-19 is pretty bland. Once you hit dungeons and BAMs, you see why the combat can be so fun. 5v5 deathmatches also help, as those are stupid amounts of fun.

They're revamping 1-40 leveling for open beta for the reasons you mentioned, but I can't stress enough that BAMs and dungeons are the reason to play this game.

THIS is where the game starts to get fun...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYxDw1FcSQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRkyelKI_xg

• Options
    is there anyway to easily see someone level, especially on a horse?

I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular

I really, really wish companies would get this, the bar has changed and the payment model is often deciding whether a game is "worth it". I know it's been said multiple times, but the MMO market is beyond glutted right now and if you're not sinking triple digits millions into a game don't expect to have much luck with the sub model.

Honestly, I don't like the free model. I really don't. But it happened, and it's not going back into pandora's box. The customer-base for MMOs has been changed too much, divided too thinly, for the sub model to make any sense. Obviously it's far too late for TERA to change gears now, but just in case they don't get those great population numbers, perhaps they might look at the option? You wait too long and everyone has forgotten about you and it's too late.

This discussion has been closed.