As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    But then we'd have people complaining about those sick robosexuals.

Can't please everyone I guess.

I dunno. I grew up on Frazetta so maybe the whole scantily clad women and huge dudes being huge dudes thing doesn't really bother me.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Meh.

I don't plan on playing an Elf or an Elin.

Castanic all the way!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    Playing Elin all day long just to make the haters squirm.

I'm going to make a grimy looking male Castanic named Roberto. He will do nothing but peddle potions in Tolkien New Orleans (Castanica)

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Glal wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    If male Elin and female Popori exist and are playable, then I'll shut up.
    Otherwise, the criticisms leveled against the thing stand solid.
    ...adding an underage boy race would make it less creepy?
    Not really my point.
    They would never add an underage boy race because that doesn't sell. Yes, that would still be off-putting, but at least we can remove one act of misogyny from the game.
    I find Elin creepy, but don't get the Popori complaint- from my understanding they're not the males of the race functionally (ie, lol we have sex), they're just meant to be the summoned/created guardians, in essence magically tamed animals. Which is a much more interesting race concept than pretty much any other MMO has out there, just a shame about the creepy-tastic Elin that come with the package.

Glal on
    Would anyone be interested in having some class specific gameplay videos added to the OP?

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I think that would be a good idea, yes.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    They clearly have some creative people working there, so the best option is to dump the race completely and just put in something awesome.

They can do the same for the embarrasingly busty elf race stuff. Give us robot orcs or something.

That would be cool, but would create a huge amount of problems in both the creating of content for this newly created race and stripping out the content for the deleted one.

Mostly it would be a huge issue trying to create game patches using the code from the original developers.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Not to mention the game is supposed to release within the next 4-6 months... so a little late to be changing races now.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Cleaned up the OP a little. Added class videos. Tried my best to find more group play vids and less X class solos Y Elite monster but a couple snuck in there.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Considering the, frankly, huge number of MMO players who make females with the smallest body types possible in every MMO ever, its a demographic. Hell I know a lot of females who do it all the time, most of them I know choose the super-loli's if anything is remotely available. It really isn't just guys, chicks like little doll-girls too. Removing it because a couple of vocal people get offended is staggering and short-sighted. Such responses breed silly things like the australian classification board. If you don't like it... ignore em, its surprisingly simple. It solves pretty much all of lifes little problems.

steam_sig.png
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    We're proud to announce #TERA's North American release date: May 1, 2012! | tera-online.com/node/965

http://www.tera-online.com/node/965
    En Masse Entertainment is thrilled to announce TERA's official release date to its dedicated community! Following a series of closed beta tests and an open beta test, TERA will launch in North America on:

May 1, 2012

TERA will be available in Standard and Collector's Editions at retail and online stores. TERA's retail version will be distributed by Atari. We’ll reveal details of each edition’s contents in February.

We have a lot planned for TERA before its May 1 launch, the most immediate being its first closed beta test! If you haven't visited the TERA Beta Sign-Up yet, point your browser to TERA-Online.com to enter your email address for a chance to test TERA before it releases. You’ll also be signed up to receive important TERA news from En Masse Entertainment. Also, if you participated in one of TERA's previous tests or won one of our contests, you'll be invited to join in all TERA beta tests! We’ll be introducing more ways to be invited to TERA's closed beta tests in the coming weeks.

Get the latest TERA developments as they happen! Visit TERA on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ and follow us to receive game news moments after it’s posted. You can also subscribe to En Masse Entertainment’s YouTube channel to be notified when we publish new TERA videos!

January has barely begun and we still have lots in store this month including more details about TERA's beta tests. We'd like to thank the fantastic TERA community for their dedication and passion. If you're visiting us for the first time to read TERA's release date announcement, you've chosen a great time to be a part of the TERA community! Jump onto the official forums and join us for the ride!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited January 2012
    My body is ready

adding the release date to the OP

Beezel on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Oh boy, I can finally move this game from the "something to forget about" to the "something to look forward to" compartment! Crossed fingers for a simultaneous US/EU release. I can't remember, is it the same publisher for both or is it Warhammer Online all over again?

Glal wrote:
    Oh boy, I can finally move this game from the "something to forget about" to the "something to look forward to" compartment! Crossed fingers for a simultaneous US/EU release. I can't remember, is it the same publisher for both or is it Warhammer Online all over again?

Frogster is handling EU. I heard May 3 for the EU release. I'm not sure though.

• Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    There is no form of regional restrictions being used by either NA or EU.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
    I hope the collectors edition is cool, I'd possibly buy it.

steam_sig.png
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    you know, looking at this, i was always thinking it was another F2P offering.

Anecdotal GvG story:

"So basically it was like this. This guild named <5sec> owned the specific province through the political system on the server, the challenging guild <Korea> wanted it for themselves so they declared War on <5sec> in order to claim the land for themselves. In the declaration they wrote down a specific place to meet in the open world (I think this is brilliant, some memorable fights can be had) and they chose this desert spot and time to duke it out. They all met up there at opposite ends and stared each out down like it was a war movie. Finally they both started charging at each other and the battle ensued. After literally hours, shit was long, the ruling guild <5sec> was getting out matched. They decided to pull back into a cave with a big opening where they funnel the guild <Korea> into. Their numbers counted for nothing when Lancers stood at the front lines with shields up blocking everything (collision detection.) After a long as time the timer to the battle finally went down (now changed to 24hours since last past, used to be like 5 hours) and the guild who accumulated most points won. Forgot who it was. It was epic to watch."

Wow, that does sound amazing.

The collision detection for characters is awesome. I also think it effects spells and abilities as well if you are standing behind a Lancer.

Steam
    Here's a video of each race doing their /sit emote. I think the animations here are really good as well as do a good job of capturing each race's personality
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayYPR03tFn8

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    After watching that video, you end up getting shanked in a prison shower.

reVerse on
    edited January 2012
    last time I checked you don't catch a shiv for vidya games in jail!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDSkon07xW4
    A hard mode boss from the Korean version. No idea what the hell is being said but shit starts getting bonkers about halfway through.

Beezel on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    ...Amani females have high heel hooves.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
    Al Baron wrote:

I couldn't stop laughing at that. Built in hooker heels. Stay classy guys.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    Al Baron wrote:

I couldn't stop laughing at that. Built in hooker heels. Stay classy guys.

is that worse that the plate pasties that the castaniacs wear in the korean version?

Anyone know a good image hosting site that's easy to use with an android phone? Someone on another forum grabbed some low res versions of a couple of the loading screens from the korean retail game. A few have translations that have interesting lore tidbits.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, each video makes me less inclined to play based on shit like that.

Do they just find high heels incredibly erotic in the East or something? I mean, I know that plate mail bikinis here in the West aren't exactly practical warfare equipment, but at least they don't hinder combat.

EDIT: Good god, Elin are worse than I expected. That is just blatant and I cannot believe people are trying to defend it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Yeah, each video makes me less inclined to play based on shit like that.

Do they just find high heels incredibly erotic in the East or something? I mean, I know that plate mail bikinis here in the West aren't exactly practical warfare equipment, but at least they don't hinder combat.

EDIT: Good god, Elin are worse than I expected. That is just blatant and I cannot believe people are trying to defend it.

I don't think people are so much defending it as much as they are ignoring it because the rest of the package looks pretty damn fun. At least that's the case for me. I'm more inclined to play it because it's doing things not a lot of other current mmos are doing. Like having action based gameplay. And shipping with a functional, customizable UI as standard in the year of our lord 2012. I'm not really prepared to let deadeyed, animu moeblob catgirls or whatever queer the whole deal for me, no. And I think it'd be a shame if other folks did that.

EDIT: I'm not sitting here trying to convince people to try something they've already determined that they don't really want to try. That's fine, that's not really my thing. But I don't really think it's fair to try and label the game as "that creepy thing with the creepy stuff" I think that what they've done on a whole is incredibly creative/novel and a lot of work went into making it work.

Beezel on
    edited January 2012
    Oh trust me, there's A LOT of people who are defending it.

Somewhat related, here's a picture I saw at the SA forums.

eVna6.jpg

reVerse on
    edited January 2012
    Haha yeah I saw that the other day when I was going through the main site. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that was from 4chan. I saw the site's name pop up a lot a year or so back when the forums were getting going. I don't know how much are genuine opinions vs people just shit-stirring because they know it's a hot button topic but I get what you mean.

In other news I just found out that that David Noonan is the lead writer for the localization of TERA in the west.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Noonan_(game_designer)
    I expect something at the very least interesting if nothing else as far as the game's story goes.

Beezel on
    edited January 2012
    I was pleased to hear about "undergarments" that at least give you the option to not look like a hooker, only to see that it basically covers up your torso with a sheer...thing and leaves you still looking scantily clad by most standards.

I know I've gone on about this a lot, probably enough, and should drop it. It's just a very gross objectification of women, even more so than what's normal for MMORPGs. I will say that the game DOES allow the males of one or two races look like former Chippendale's employees, but it's not quite enough. Nor would it be right if everyone was walking in their underwear (I guess you could say it was less sexist?) I'm not saying that lookin' sexy is a bad thing; it's just that, from what I've seen, there is very little way to NOT look sexy if you'd rather not look like that and still play a female character (and aforementioned beleaguered males). Then you have a race that really brings out the creepers and toes the line toward endorsing sexualizing the underaged and it becomes something that is extremely hard to ignore just because the game bucks the trend in terms of combat.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    Realistically, the creepy pedo/objectification aspect won't be the main thing that will keep people away from the game, but rather they'll stay away because it's a full priced retail game with a monthly fee attached and the market for those is already overcrowded.

I never said anything about it harming the game's profitability. If anything, the many flavors of grandiosely-chested women in skimpy armor will be an unspoken selling point.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, probably. Sadly.

But I'd like to think that people have better tastes than that. Stop ruining people for me, Warorus.

reVerse on
    Well, it's not like it's a problem unique to video games. I guess maybe video games be a bit bolder when doing it, perhaps.

YL9WnCY.png
    One of the things I found ironic was that when stripped down to their dancing on top of a mailbox in Ironforge skivvies, the females were actually more sensibly dressed from what I've seen.

And yeah this genre really is a bad place for that sort of thing. Land of the angry neckbeards and all that. It's insulting pandering and while it makes sense from a marketing standpoint I don't really see a huge effort to break that particular mold anytime in the near future. The other game I mentioned, Blade and Soul has "less" of that. But the lead artist is the guy who did the artwork for the Magna Carta series. So all the females still have that anti-grav water balloon breast thing going on. I'm sure some cultural voodoo has something to do with it as well.

As for the Elin. I think the biggest problem is the particular art style they chose to go with as far as they were concerned. Their proportions are utterly jacked in comparison with the other races. They are literally a 3D version of the most weeaboo moeblob crap you can find and that does not translate to the third dimension well. At All. If they were 2D sprites I don't think they'd get as much flak or look half as weird. but yeah it's not a good thing.

edited January 2012
    Sure is puritanical all up ins.

Cultural differences. Don't like it? You're being a bigot. So either way everyone is in the wrong. Best solution? Ignore it. Its 'classic' asian design, simple as that. Here I truck out Ragnarok Online, FFXI, FFXIV, Fantasy Earth Zero, FlyFF, Lunia, Vindictus, etc, etc, etc. All have similarly proportioned characters who prance around in, at times, questionable attire.

It happens.

Hell vindictus even let's you buy virtual panties.

Least all the damn characters look /good/, fuck the armor/clothes options in most western developed MMOs. Yay I have my +1 armor of looking like soggy shit.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2012
    The first mmo I ever played was literally Ragnarok Online. It was inocuous, good clean fun and back then you grinded for your hats like a man. None of this fancy idling shit the kids all have now.
    besides it's pretty hard to infer anything suggestive or otherwise from a game that looks like this:
    orig_RagnarokOnline_screenshot.jpg

And, while I agree with you chocobolicious, I do recognize that the only reason this is a 'thing' in the first place is due to those same cultural differences. Some rather hypocritical differences that I won't go into here but they do exist. I think the art style is pretty damn rad for what it's worth and was what got me to look into the game a little deeper to begin with.

But yeah, there's other places to go if you're cool with your character wearing burlap sacks or something a little bit more rooted in historical accuracy and practicality. I think if you're looking for such things in a game like TERA, where flying sky whales are totally normal and okay, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

Beezel on
    Least all the damn characters look /good/, fuck the armor/clothes options in most western developed MMOs. Yay I have my +1 armor of looking like soggy shit.

I wanted to single out this comment mostly because a) I laughed, and b) I think it's mostly true. Most "traditional" mmos, from level 1 to max level, you spend the majority of that time looking like a filthy begger. I think some more recent games are breaking away from that because everyone wants to feel like a badass. But mostly I think that sort of thing is a holdover from a design perspective that if you had pvp in your mmo, because everything is so stat based, the only way to tell how strong your potential opponent was at a glance was to quickly see how many planets were revolving around their shoulders so you could adjust a fight or flight plan accordingly. I can see games in the future breaking away from that model if more of them adopt an more action style of gameplay so that sort of visual inspection isn't really necessary and whether you lived, died or escaped came down to purely due to player skill.

This discussion has been closed.