As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• JerechoJerecho Registered User regular
    Got to 20 on the Priest last night on Dragonfall, and actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I couldn't decide on a main so I rolled a priest because I knew I would at some point, and that they'd be in demand.

The thing is kind of a killing machine. Not a *huge* amount of damage anywhere, but enough to get the job done well. The real benefit is that I had zero down-time. I was quickly wiping out quests that I had problems with on my warrior in CBT. Soloing a BAM would be more challenging than other classes, but that's what friends are for.

When I found a random someone to power through a zone with, the efficiency was insane. I need a friend on Saturday to get to 32 with.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So this game is either astonishingly terrible, or it has one of the worst introductory sections i've ever seen.

I guess i'll see if I have the patience to find out which.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am not a fan of the beach landing either. Luckily, you are given a prompt to skip it once you have entered it with a character.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't believe I, at any point, said anything about being able to do max damage from max range, nor about being able to defeat BAMs while AFK reading a book.

I kinda glossed over the full post because I'm at work right now, but I was just saying that they did a better job making sure ranged classes didn't have a huge advantage than other games have done.

I do agree that they oughta have at least a few skills that can lay down the pain at range for archers, mainly because sorcs have sick AoEs...

TheRealDestian on
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aistan wrote: »
    So this game is either astonishingly terrible, or it has one of the worst introductory sections i've ever seen.

the opening is AWFUL. I have no clue what they were thinking by doing that. It's so terribly done, I can't see how anyone who wasn;t in the closed beta would even find that helpful.

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If I could just wave a magic wand and make something interesting happen, I would make two different kinds of bows. Short bows that do less damage, have a shorter range, and can be fired while moving and Long bows which cannot be fired while moving, can only be fired after charging, have a longer range but do massive damage.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If I could just wave a magic wand and make something interesting happen, I would make two different kinds of bows. Short bows that do less damage, have a shorter range, and can be fired while moving and Long bows which cannot be fired while moving, can only be fired after charging, have a longer range but do massive damage.

Funny. If I could just wave a wand and make something interesting happen, it'd be that my bank account would have $Texas in it.

am0n on
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Jagged Coast PVP server last night wasn't too bad. Some griefers camping Teubenius, the level 16-18 mob necessary for advancing the story quest.

Saw a few outlaws running around, some guilds declaring war on each other.

Isle of Dawn had 30 channels when I joined and 53 by the time I left. All those people were funneled down into four channels of Lumbertown. The ground was carpeted with people trying to grab the slow spawning mobs.

Also had trouble with Dark Revelations. Solo it didn't register after killing the big guy. Had to go back with a group and that registered.

Managed to reach 18 on the mystic in about four hours of play.

is this the server everyone will be playing on?

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    is this the server everyone will be playing on?

No, that is just me off playing PVP. Think Dragonfall was selected for PVE.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • JerechoJerecho Registered User regular
    There's folks in a few places, but the PVE server of choice is Dragonfall. We had 22 people there as of last night.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    the opening is AWFUL. I have no clue what they were thinking by doing that. It's so terribly done, I can't see how anyone who wasn;t in the closed beta would even find that helpful.
    Is that the new "you start as a level 20" section that was mentioned?

edited April 2012
    What name can I look for to join guild? Will be playing all weekend with a friend.

Is there a Vent or TS being used?

Triiipledot on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    message Montague on dragonfall

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular

I can appreciate the chance to preview a character class, but the prologue wasn't really useful for getting a feel for your class. It also flowed oddly. It starts out like you are going to have to quest through the zone, then quickly segues into killling a few guys and a bigger guy. The ending is kind of lame too, it just...ends...without showing anything really.

When I first heard about it I was picturing more a public quest area where you and several other players face a horde of monsters, like a squad versus an army. It could ramp up in difficulty, ending with a BAM that defeats you on camera. The who thing could just be one scene/area.

With what they actually done, I would rather they not have bothered at all.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
    edited April 2012

it's called, play an archer in dragons nest. :p
    I can appreciate the chance to preview a character class, but the prologue wasn't really useful for getting a feel for your class. It also flowed oddly. It starts out like you are going to have to quest through the zone, then quickly segues into killling a few guys and a bigger guy. The ending is kind of lame too, it just...ends...without showing anything really.

When I first heard about it I was picturing more a public quest area where you and several other players face a horde of monsters, like a squad versus an army. It could ramp up in difficulty, ending with a BAM that defeats you on camera. The who thing could just be one scene/area.

With what they actually done, I would rather they not have bothered at all.

I just think it's a really horribly idea starting people off fighting a BAM without even knowing the class or what the abilities do.

Minerva_SC on
    I'm dead serious."
    Dueling crashes the internet?

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I just think it's a really horribly idea starting people off fighting a BAM without even knowing the class or what the abilities do.

Or being able to move any skills around on my hotkey bar so that I could comfortably reach them.

Yeah that whole prologue thing is a huge fail and I don't understand their thinking at all. At least it's skippable after the first time I guess.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out what I don't like about Tera, because the combat is nice and I like how active it is

I think it's that it's probably the fact that the quests are absolutely mind numbing

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    the prologue confused me about my abilities more than it helped. also caught me off guard because it was not in the earlier closed betas.

playing a sorcerer right now, the only thing that annoys me is that close range nuke roots me and takes forever to cast so it's easy for a monster to swipe at me during it.

the number of slayers running around isle of dawn was crazy

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Level 7 Berserker now, the prologue definitely does a bad job starting things off. The actual starting area is pretty decent. Combat is... alright. I can't really comment on the quality of the quests because I haven't read any of them, which doesn't matter since they are all "Kill X of Y".

It's pretty, though. But also pretty meh. I'll keep going for the rest of the weekend though, because why not.

• IslandIsland Registered User regular
    I have a few guild quest tokens. What do I do with them? And what do they do?

camo_sig.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Oh my gosh.

My guild on Celestial Hills is the largest guild on the server. Over 150 members already!

We are bigger than the next THREE guilds COMBINED. It's nuts!

Also, got my Berserker up to lvl 26. Now I am taking a break before bed. Sadly, I won't be able to play much tomorrow or Sunday due to work. Everyone is going to get ahead of me level wise. :(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Oh my gosh.

My guild on Celestial Hills is the largest guild on the server. Over 150 members already!

Also, got my Berserker up to lvl 26. Now I am taking a break before bed. Sadly, I won't be able to play much tomorrow or Sunday due to work. Everyone is going to get ahead of me level wise. :(

Not like that matters, they'll have 8 more levels to be ahead with.

I'm 28, and freakin loving my warrior. Tanking BAM's with a warrior is so awesome, and just killing mobs is incredibly satisfying. Tanking instances on the other hand is extremely hectic, and I don't feel like I'm doing it right, even though no one ever dies. wtb stamina bar.

I was kind of worried about running alts through the same content since there are no branching zones to level in a l wow (not that I know of) but I can see myself going through this multiple times. Combat is just too much fun. And seriously, I highly recommend leveling with a buddy. Makes things super fast.

I'm dead serious."
    Just crashed out to the launcher and then started getting the ffffffffff error.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    so I'm sure anyone wondering already googled it, but here's a video of Michael Hogan doing some of his Samael lines:

http://youtu.be/NNfjppYIRMo

Are you the magic man?
  • ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Oh my gosh.

Empyrean Divine, right? I think I saw you guys at like, 90 people when I got on last night; craziness! I'm in the 2nd biggest (as of last night, still at work right now), Honor Among Kin. I will probably see you around!

PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    kinda got sucked into hulu tonight :3 planning on jumping on in a bit =D

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    hmm.. Game is telling me the wangbang channel dosn't exist anymore. I'm on as my Cast Priest Magdelene on Dragonfall if anyone online can invite. tried whispering Montague but he not onlinr atm.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    apply to the guild someone will get you

• AdmonisherAdmonisher Registered User new member
    Hey guys, trying out the open beta this weekend, might even get the full game, my character is a human archer named Feliandra, I would like to have a good time and join you guys.

loriandracamy5071336882537.png
  • TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    Well, I'm assuming you are on the right server. In which case just search for the guild We Are Nice Guys and send in an application.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Lvl 22 on my Slayer now. Fighting Basilisks for a bit then moving on to celestial Hills. http://www.justin.tv/delphinidaes

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Crap, I forgot MMOs were in their own subforum and rolled on some other server. Really don't want to level a warrior to 14 again :X

Ah well, is anything in demand? I probably won't be able to stand the low levels as a warrior again.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Is anyone on to invite me? I sent in the application a while ago =|

Edit - Knight, from what I saw on the list earlier we only have about 5 tanks and 5 healers compared to a large number of DPS. That's assuming all the warriors want to tank. So if you want to pick for what we lack, a Lancer would likely be best, but all in all just pick something you will enjoy playing through the island again with.

Tornelco on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    so warriors are the only duel wielding class but they're tanks?

slayers are fun but it's not the same

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I've been thinking of alts come launch day. I'm definitely will make a Lancer and maybe a Sorcerer. Then a Warrior or Archer..

I'm pleasantly surprised how fast I hit 20 on the Priest. The quests aren't too much to write home about but the combat system is keeping my interest.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    AFAIK Warriors are able to tank or DPS, they just take more effort to do either then the "pure" classes.

Hey good times earlier with the folks I grouped up with earlier :)
    Game shines when the community is healthy like it is right now. I hope it can manage to retain that after the first month.

edited April 2012
    Im hopping on now to try the game out, is there a Vent or Teamspeak being used?

Triiipledot on
    edited April 2012
    the G&T vent I think was agreed upon but I haven't been able to connect to it

I have been debating perpetuating the ingame pa chat channel but since most of us in the guild are from here anyway I wasn't sure if that would be seen as redundant or not

Beezel on
This discussion has been closed.