As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    detailing armor customization, permutations
    armoroptions.jpg

EDIT: What's PA forum's stance on linking to livestreams? There's an english speaking player that streams the game regularly on twitch that I wanted to share.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    man, all of those features are super awesome and right up my alley. i use the fuck out of the wardrobe/dye system in Rift.

i have plenty of problems with this game that have been seriously putting me off, but they're starting to get outweighed by my feeling of being impressed

reposig.jpg
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I can't wait to get into the Beta.

I need some hack and slash mouse click action with pretty graphics.

Oh and the third person shooter aspect for the ranged classes is pretty cool too.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    armoroptions.jpg

EDIT: What's PA forum's stance on linking to livestreams? There's an english speaking player that streams the game regularly on twitch that I wanted to share.

Mind PMing that?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Arthil wrote:
    Beezel wrote:
    armoroptions.jpg

Mind PMing that?

sent

Loud jazz music and apparently their GPU is imploding.

They've been doing the music thing since last night but the GPU thing is new, what happened?

Something about their memory basically being used up 100% randomly.

Well that kind of sucks. If their stream goes kaput his friend Graffixkat streams as well, though not as often

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    People link livestreams in the Starcraft and moba threads all the time. So long as the content is appropriate for anything else you'd link here.

YL9WnCY.png
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    People link livestreams in the Starcraft and moba threads all the time. So long as the content is appropriate for anything else you'd link here.

oh, in that case.

The player is playing an archer, usually teams up with a popori sorcerer named Graffixkat
    be mindful of volume for anyone wanting to watch this, he's been playing music heavily in his stream lately.

From what I'm hearing, the maps are huge enough that they justify giving players their first mount at around level 14 or so.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    FJc7q.jpg
    Every other game with different races needs this.

steam_sig.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I especially like footwear. Not the "stretch boot texture" bollocks WoW does for races without normal feet.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote:
    Beezel wrote:
    FJc7q.jpg
    Every other game with different races needs this.

That...is brilliant. Why don't other games do this? I mean aside from cutting out the midriff when dealing with male/female armor of course. They don't seem to have an issue doing that :P

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    So a large group of /v/ are trying to get onto the JP retail client because they're holding some kind of 40 hour free trial until Feb 2. From the looks of it, the process is a gigantic pain in the ass and I'm sitting here asking myself "Why? Why would you want your first hands on experience of this game to be in a language you don't understand?"

Why are you on /v/?

That's the real question.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited January 2012
    honestly? Because even through the shitposts and trolls I'm capable of filtering out a lot of honest opinions about a game along with getting a lot of firsthand news. It could always be worse. I could be hanging around on like, reddit or gamefaqs

Edit: ps. don't hang out on /v/. I brave those treacherous waters for TERA news so others don't have to.

Beezel on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Beezel wrote:
    So a large group of /v/ are trying to get onto the JP retail client because they're holding some kind of 40 hour free trial until Feb 2. From the looks of it, the process is a gigantic pain in the ass and I'm sitting here asking myself "Why? Why would you want your first hands on experience of this game to be in a language you don't understand?"

I don't think the language barrier is going to get in the way of "left mouse to attack".

reVerse on
    The more I read about Mystics the more I want to play one. Mostly because half the responsibility of getting healed lies with the Healee. They have a multi-target direct heal that works like riptide, an upfront heal followed by a HoT. But their main delivery method of burst healing is through created orbs that can be hotdropped near their targets and a blink spell on a relatively short cooldown to help get around the battlefield.

"Heal yourself. Or Don't. I don't give a fuck."

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    What's the stance on talking about the Korean version, and those that play it?

As far as I know it's fair game unless a mod comes in and says otherwise. most of the information acquired so far has been based on Korean and Japanese retail.

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Do any of you guys play on the Korean version by chance? Just started up myself yesterday. I kind of enjoy playing a game that I don't know the language, which may sound weird but... I find it more engaging somehow. Figuring out how things work etc, it's like learning MMOs all over again.

Unless the Korean version is in super-secret-double-alpha, I don't see why you can't discuss it.

YL9WnCY.png
    Oh POPE-ori. I get it
    pope.jpg

Some backstory concerning the game and also a bit about how badass the Aman are:

Prior to the story of TERA, the boundary between Arborea and the underworld was being weakened. When they broke through, creating the Black Crevice, they stormed into Arborea and destroyed most of the cities they encountered, until they reached Kaiator (Aman Capital). Kaiator is the most heavily armed and armored city in all of Arborea, it was basically the wall that prevented the underworld forces from invading south and towards Alamanthia. The argon siege engines actually broke the wall of Kaiator at one point and started releasing their toxic atmosphere to flood the city, so the Aman started to clog the vents with the dead bodies of the slain. They sieged Kaiator for a very long time, enough for the races of Arborea to band together and form the Valkyon Federation, with its goal to stop the Argon threat. They forced the Argons back.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I am not surprised.

The Amani and Devas (Castanics being a sub-race of the Devas) were created by their gods specifically for combat... against one another.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It isn't a 40 hour free trial, the game is straight up free to play until February 2nd for Japan. Also Frogster is handling the EU side of this game, so good luck people there.

also this is probably the closest i will ever get to playing a monster hunter mmo so I am really hoping it does okay : (

Zandracon on
    Yeah I heard Frogster was uh, not good from the way people react to the name. I'm hoping the gameplay is enough to stand on its own legs along with good word of mouth publicity. As much as I hate IGN and think they are Satan's asshole as far as gaming journalism goes, a lot of people visit the site still.

Whether or not I get into the any of the beta events or have to wait until release, I plan on recording my early leveling experiences.

Zandracon wrote:
    also this is probably the closest i will ever get to playing a monster hunter mmo so I am really hoping it does okay : (
    This right here. To top it off, it seems to have the best of both worlds- MH's combat, but with content to make the level grind less of a chore (plus, for all intents and purposes, you get to play a Felyne. Which is a-okay with me, I love those bastards, even when they're robbing me blind and throwing bombs at me).

Stamina, campfires and you

I haven't seen it brought up, so I figured I'd shed some light on it. TERA has a stat called stamina that decreases as you fight, take damage or die. If, in some videos, you've noticed a heart-shaped gauge on the screen with a % number, that's what that is. What stamina is, if there had to be an mmo equivalent, is akin to item durability. Below a certain percentage, your character begins to accrue damage and health penalties. This percentage can only be recovered or increased by sitting at a campfire consumable that's deployed and stays out for a set amount of time. Additionally, there are consumable items and talismans that can only be used while campfires are out that act as flasks and other buff items.

I've heard rumors that there are a variety of campfires and campfire consumables that can only be created via the game's alchemy equivalent, but that has been purely speculation at this point.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Well that's certainly something I love in all games: mechanics that force me to sit on my ass, doing nothing.

edited January 2012
    It's the perfect excuse to go leave and make a nice lunch while the group leader is doing those boring boss mechanic explaination snorefests. YAWN

Edit: As far as I know, you don't start taking really nasty penalties until below 20% and from what I can tell, doesn't decay fast at all unless you die a bunch in a row. Baraka have a racial that specifically prevents their stamina from going below 20% at all times.

Edit 2: I don't see it being a problem if you're running with guild or people you know. But if you have to plop these things down while in a group of pugs is where I start seeing issues. Especially if it's a pug you don't like and any amount of time spent around them that isn't necessary being entirely "Too much time"

Beezel on
    edited January 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UsJN94xuPs
    More dungeon group play, courtesy of steparu.

Group consisting of what looks to be
    Lancer
    Warrior
    Slayer
    Sorcerer
    Mystic

http://www.steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/795-tera-online-slayer-mini-guide

Slayer miniguide, also by Steparu, for people interested/curious

Beezel on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Do we know what level range this is?

Given her UI, 59. Because apparently they can't play an MMO without having the level displayed in the middle of the screen at all times.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Ha, missed that on my phone.

Pretty excited about Mystic, as I am a sucker for alternate healing mechanics - Bloodmage in Vanguard, Chloro in Rift, Support healing as a Chanter in Aion, etc.

Glal wrote:
    Given her UI, 59. Because apparently they can't play an MMO without having the level displayed in the middle of the screen at all times.

The monster is 59. I think the max level for player characters is currently 58.

"Just recently, it was announced that TERA will finally be launching this May in North America after several apparent delays. However, according to a lawsuit filed on 13th January 2012 by rival online games developer NCsoft, the launch date and plans might potentially be in jeopardy.

NCsoft Corp. filed a trade secrets and unfair competition lawsuit against rival Bluehole Studio Inc., claiming the company was created by former NCsoft employees (working on the fabled Lineage 3) who stole software and artwork to launch their own product. The full document is below."

http://www.mmoculture.com/2012/01/ncsoft-files-lawsuit-to-thwart-tera.html

My rage would blot out the fucking sun.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    So TERA really is Lineage 3, then? Huh.

This discussion has been closed.