As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

1568101199

Posts

  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It's my understanding that Aion and Tera both were "Lineage 3" at some point during their lives.

    reVerse on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    naengwen wrote:
    So TERA really is Lineage 3, then? Huh.

    TERA was based on techniques deployed for one of the L3 prototypes that got cancelled. So, NCsoft's claim could be legit.

    Really all I see it is NCsoft upending coffee tables to steal thunder from TERA as "first action mmo" So they can pump out Blade and Soul.

    Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Considering we already got another Lineage in the making NCsoft can go right fuck themselves.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Well, if the Tera people did steal assets that are NCsoft's property and the game gets pulled as a result, it's not reasonable to blame NCsoft for that.

  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Something like that. Looks like NCSoft already won some court cases in South Korea, so they might have some ground on this.

    Probably not in the States so much, but maybe. Usually when devs pull this shit it's swept under the carpet pretty fast because they have no real ground except lots of cash, and the bad PR wins out in the end. But if NCSoft has actually been able to back up their case, then this could be interesting.

    For the games industry thread, anyways. Let's hope this doesn't mess up release.

  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    They've already successfully sued over it in Korea, I don't see why they wouldn't reach a similar outcome in NA
    In that instance it was a monetary reward to NCsoft. It didn't hinder release of the game then.

    Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    They've already successfully sued over it in Korea, I don't see why they wouldn't reach a similar outcome in NA

    But how many times can you sue for the same thing?

    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Different country, different rules, different conditions under which the crime first took place, and from what I've heard, a different product. Bluehole might be able to argue that the assets in question have nothing to do with the stateside release of the game.

    Maybe.

  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Beezel wrote:
    They've already successfully sued over it in Korea, I don't see why they wouldn't reach a similar outcome in NA

    But how many times can you sue for the same thing?

    As many times as you want? Sure, a judge might find you guilty of some form of harassment, and you'd be just throwing money down a well if you don't have any new evidence.

    Besides, suing someone in Korea and then suing the same people for the same thing in the US doesn't count as "suing them again".

    reVerse on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if a similar lawsuit gets filed in EU.

    Really from what I understand, it's getting looked at like this:

    You fund some dudes to make a game for you.
    The game runs into complications and gets cancelled for whatever reason.
    The devs leave and develop a game based on things created using your money
    The game is now set to compete against your own games.

    That sequence of events pretty much rustled NCsoft's jimmies.


    EDIT: Apparently the lawsuits to block TERA's release in KR and JPN were successfully appealed but NCsoft filed and won separate lawsuits against the original devs that made off with NCsoft's property in the first place. None of those people are currently associated with either BlueHole Studios as far as known or have been for a while. Whether or not that will matter in this case remains to be seen

    Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    naengwen wrote:
    Different country, different rules, different conditions under which the crime first took place, and from what I've heard, a different product. Bluehole might be able to argue that the assets in question have nothing to do with the stateside release of the game.

    Maybe.

    The tort occurred in S. Korea, since that is where Bluehole and NCSoft are both based. The lawsuit consequently was settled there, now NCSoft is filing suit in a US Court over a tort that occurred in a foreign country and was settled in said country.

    This is NCSoft being a bunch of bitches, and giving me yet another reason to never buy another NCSoft product.

    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    NCsoft is seeking some ridiculous sum in damages. Basically infinity dollars.

    I'm curious if BlueHole Studios complied when told by the courts over there to stop using whatever the heck it was they were accused of using. So many other proprietary things have been added since then I'm curious of how much of the original code, if any, remains.

    But all this started back in like what, 2005? It'd be pretty dumb to think EnMasse didn't see this coming in some kind of way.

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Well when NCSoft tried to block Tera's release in Korea and Japan, I am sure they knew they were going to try it for the NA and EU launches as well.

    The question is, what is the plan.

    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'll... admit my interest in TERA is nowhere near high enough for me to not play Guild Wars 2.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I thought Arenanet was doing GW2? Or is NCsoft their publisher?

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    I thought Arenanet was doing GW2? Or is NCsoft their publisher?

    NCSoft is the publisher.

    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    haha ahh geez.

    Edit: On the one hand, you have a potentially valid claim. On the other you have litigation cropping up with really suspect timing. Maybe there's some Column A/Column B stuff going on here.

    Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Timing only seems suspect because the press didn't report on it until two weeks after the lawsuit was filed. Nobody even knew when the game was coming out until last week.

    I'd still find it a little odd if they didn't tie up that blatant loose end before prepping the game for a stateside release. Hell, it stands to reason that they were aware of the complaint before they even announced their release date. Assuming their lawyers aren't silly, I don't think they're too worried about the case affecting much just yet.

  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote:
    Timing only seems suspect because the press didn't report on it until two weeks after the lawsuit was filed. Nobody even knew when the game was coming out until last week.

    I'd still find it a little odd if they didn't tie up that blatant loose end before prepping the game for a stateside release. Hell, it stands to reason that they were aware of the complaint before they even announced their release date. Assuming their lawyers aren't silly, I don't think they're too worried about the case affecting much just yet.

    I'd be shocked if it turns out the constant delays in localization was due to Enmasse going "Go over this code and make sure most of this "XYZ" is gone or so unrecognizable they have no leg to stand on" Because they knew the litigation was coming.

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    and now, for a bit of good news for our European friends!
    Raven wrote:
    "You should check your inbox within the next couple of minutes. Why? Because we just sent out the email to our 1.000 full access key winners for the upcoming beta sessions of TERA. Remember this email will just confirm that you've actually won the access key, but the key won't be included in this email and will be delivered at a later date. "

    https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=25351&page=79



    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    What burns my ass is that NCSoft keeps waiting until just a few month before retail launch to file suit.

    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    From what I'm hearing the last lawsuit they filed was in 2010. That one got dismissed/overturned

    The legal document cites "Features" and "know how" as some of the stuff Bluehole allegedly stole which is all kinds of nebulous.
    They even go as far as to cite anonymous forum posts about how awesome TERA is as "Damaging and causing irreparable harm" to the NCsoft.

    TERA as it is today, supposedly no longer contains any of the copyrighted materials that they were sued for over a couple years ago as they were forced to hand over those materials as part of the original settlement.

    Soooo...I dunno what the heck is going on D:

    Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Luck was not a lady tonight. :(

  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    Why do the mmos I'm looking forward to have to fight : (

  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Probad wrote:
    Why do the mmos I'm looking forward to have to fight : (

    amishshunning.jpg

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    naengwen wrote:
    Timing only seems suspect because the press didn't report on it until two weeks after the lawsuit was filed. Nobody even knew when the game was coming out until last week.

    I'd still find it a little odd if they didn't tie up that blatant loose end before prepping the game for a stateside release. Hell, it stands to reason that they were aware of the complaint before they even announced their release date. Assuming their lawyers aren't silly, I don't think they're too worried about the case affecting much just yet.

    I'd be shocked if it turns out the constant delays in localization was due to Enmasse going "Go over this code and make sure most of this "XYZ" is gone or so unrecognizable they have no leg to stand on" Because they knew the litigation was coming.

    Doubtful. That sort of thing takes minutes to cover up. Seconds if you have a crazy macro dev.

    Art assets might be a different story, but again, didn't they basically redraw the entire fucking thing to appeal to western audiences anyways?

    That pic is wonderful by the way.

  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote:
    Beezel wrote:
    naengwen wrote:
    Timing only seems suspect because the press didn't report on it until two weeks after the lawsuit was filed. Nobody even knew when the game was coming out until last week.

    I'd still find it a little odd if they didn't tie up that blatant loose end before prepping the game for a stateside release. Hell, it stands to reason that they were aware of the complaint before they even announced their release date. Assuming their lawyers aren't silly, I don't think they're too worried about the case affecting much just yet.

    I'd be shocked if it turns out the constant delays in localization was due to Enmasse going "Go over this code and make sure most of this "XYZ" is gone or so unrecognizable they have no leg to stand on" Because they knew the litigation was coming.

    Doubtful. That sort of thing takes minutes to cover up. Seconds if you have a crazy macro dev.

    Art assets might be a different story, but again, didn't they basically redraw the entire fucking thing to appeal to western audiences anyways?

    That pic is wonderful by the way.


    If I was reading right, the copyrighted material and art assets in question was nothing but concept art that never made it past that stage. There weren't even any complete 3D models when Park and the rest took off. The rumor going around is that the main reason those guys went to jail was because they boosted actual, physical equipment on the way out the door. Don't know if there is any truth to that or not.

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Doubtful. If it were, then technically NCSoft would own TERA online since it was built using their equipment.

  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    There were some things floating around online of some of this concept art with side by side comparisons. Some of it looks familiar but not familiar enough. Like, Daffy Duck vs Donald Duck territory. But some of it is like "Yeah, I can see it"

    Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    naengwen wrote:
    Doubtful. If it were, then technically NCSoft would own TERA online since it was built using their equipment.
    Only if it was created on company time while they were still working for NCSoft.
    If I steal a pencil the results are still copyrighted to myself, not the owner of the pencil.

    Then again, fuck knows what Korean laws on that are, some places make you sign crazy lock-down agreements that'd never pass in court, perhaps in Korea they're actually enforced.

  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I have the link to the lawsuit pdf if anyone is interested in reading that and didn't manage to snag it from somewhere else

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    The lawsuit is pretty tenuous at best, especially as even if they weren't US courts it's at least had a precedent of being appealed and thrown out.

    They have some meat to their argument, but doing it so late in the game and after failures abroad, NCsoft definitely has a bit of a battle ahead of them. Also depending on if the court decides to issue an injunction before the game comes out or not could also be pretty important. If the game launches before the court goes anywhere (Which is likely.) and no injunction to stop it is put forth, the courts are less likely to outright try to kill it if its in the hands of consumers already.

    Dunno, NCsoft really is just looking bitter at this point. Wouldn't want any competition, yo!

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I would agree that they are looking a bit, to borrow a phrase, "Mad salty" at this point.

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Laches comes to mind regarding that lawsuit.

    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    http://tera.enmasse.com/

    New website is up and running. and looks like an mmo main page proper now.

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    http://tera.enmasse.com/

    New website is up and running. and looks like an mmo main page proper now.

    Signed up for beta on that one too. Just in case ;)

    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    The skeletons for the store and game account pages are sort of there on the En Masse main site. It's pretty safe to say that EME's response to this whole thing is "Fuck the Police".
    I'm going to add the class pages into the OP since they contain new information, like sample glyphs and translated skill lists

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I really like the new homepage!

    I am glad to see they did a good job on the flavor for my favorite class, Berserker.

    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Wow, Mystic looks even more awesome than I originally thought!

  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    So after looking over all of the classes and their descriptions on the new website I have decided to make the following:

    Main: Berserker
    Alt 1: Priest
    Alt 2: Warrior

    That could change though, all depends on how many people are playing what classes at launch. Though I think Berserker is going to be passed up a lot in favor of Slayer, and I think Warriors are going to have as hard a time being considered effective tanks as Mystics will at being main healers.

    I completely expect groups to be:

    Lancer
    Priest
    DPSers

    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
This discussion has been closed.