As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Eh? Does Rising Fury have a mobility component to it? I really haven't been using it much at all - I figured the "more damage at lower health" meant it wasn't really a great option for damage most of the time compared to anything else. With warriors I'm starting to struggle with when I'm supposed to use what. Most of my fights current (at level 22) go:

Combative Strike to initiate --> immediate Rain of Blows --> Combo Attack till enemy attacks --> Evasive Roll over the target --> Vortex Slash --> repeat as necessary. Currently trying to figure out how to work Pounce into all of that.

This is all you need to know about how amazing warrior can be with each abilities mobility: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ZTX31fGtk

I'm only 27, but that video changed a ton about how I play my warrior.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Eh? Does Rising Fury have a mobility component to it? I really haven't been using it much at all - I figured the "more damage at lower health" meant it wasn't really a great option for damage most of the time compared to anything else. With warriors I'm starting to struggle with when I'm supposed to use what. Most of my fights current (at level 22) go:

Combative Strike to initiate --> immediate Rain of Blows --> Combo Attack till enemy attacks --> Evasive Roll over the target --> Vortex Slash --> repeat as necessary. Currently trying to figure out how to work Pounce into all of that.

This is all you need to know about how amazing warrior can be with each abilities mobility: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ZTX31fGtk

Huh. That's certainly an eye opener. I really have been approaching warrior combat as a fairly linear activity (attack straight ahead of me, dodge over, turn around and start again). It really had never occurred to me to use the abilities' slight propensity to move you forward to actually move around the targets. Can't wait to play around with this all tonight.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Huh. That's certainly an eye opener. I really have been approaching warrior combat as a fairly linear activity (attack straight ahead of me, dodge over, turn around and start again). It really had never occurred to me to use the abilities' slight propensity to move you forward to actually move around the targets. Can't wait to play around with this all tonight.

Ya I was playing lancer and warrior back and forth... then that video pretty much changed everything I knew and warrior is so much cooler than lancer now. Haven't touched the lancer since.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I liked the part where he revealed most shit you move fast enough to just kinda walk out of the way instead of putting your dodge on cooldown

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    http://atra-astrum.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13483#p13483

Sample crystal builds that I'm going to be adding to the OP

edited April 2012
    On another topic... crafting. Getting the right runes is a bit of a pain it seems and so far I haven't found a way to farm for certain ones. I have all sorts of swords I can make right now, but very few broker listings for the right runes and those that are there are stupid prices.

So basically runes hold back a lot of crafting kinda like flux in Aion?
    I'd like to make swords as I level up, but this sorta thing makes it easier to just get a blue from a dungeon and move on since the time to actually get runes to craft stuff is a waste by the time you get it. (forcing it to be more endgame focused..)

edit: I have solo'ed enough BAMs to get titan runes for stuff... its just the other random "drop from any mob" type runes are so... random...

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    alchemists make runes somehow. That's where the source of good crafting runes is going to come from near endgame probably.

Beezel wrote: »
    alchemists make runes somehow. That's where the source of good crafting runes is going to come from near endgame probably.

I was looking at the runes they can make, but they all seemed to require lower tier runes to upgrade or change types (armor to weapon or something).

Runes aren't gonna be a huge deal later on, since you just farm for them. But as you level, stopping to farm means you will outlevel what you were planning on crafting and using.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    Alc turned white runes into green ones, not fixing the problem. Runes are the biggest thing holding you back in crafting anything decent from the numbers you need as items get higher level.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular

Ya I was playing lancer and warrior back and forth... then that video pretty much changed everything I knew and warrior is so much cooler than lancer now. Haven't touched the lancer since.

Hrm, that may change my mind about not playing Tera. I had gotten bored with warrior and that makes it quite a bit more interesting.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    This is all you need to know about how amazing warrior can be with each abilities mobility: <snip>

I was feeling pretty smug at the start of the video, having already figured out the movement component of the warrior's basic attacks. However, as he went on I realized that I hadn't really departed that far from the Land of the Noob Warriors.

My warrior is only level 21(ish) and has been shelved since I've been able to make other characters. After that video I'm seriously considering going back and trying some of this shit for reals, starting with learning how to Rising Fury like a man.

• FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    hey, my game finished over night!

and now servers are down

%$@&amp;^$%

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    I dont get all the archer hate. I'm level 19 and I'm really enjoying it! I do want to try sorc out though. My elin tank "Tiny.Tank" (TM) is wicked fun too. Sadly I haven't really gone back to my priest in a while.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular

Rising Fury owns because it makes you incredibly mobile, and later, you can chain it into blade draw. your current strategy for killing targets is fine and probably optimal for now, I'd save the evasive roll for when you're going to be hit if you're mana starved or if it's gonna hurt (like a bam hitting you or something) but other than that, that looks legit.

pounce comes into play more once you hit level 28 and get your second hard hitting combo chain, that way you can do

combative strike OR pounce > rain of blows
    combative strike OR pounce > traverse cut > blade draw

one after the other. and then you are a baller so you have blade draw glyph, and the cooldown resets, and then you do

rising fury (2 hits) > blade draw and then oh my god it reset again and you do

death from above > vortex slash > blade draw and the servers just crashed from how much damage you just did

hey, my game finished over night!

and now servers are down

%$@&amp;^$%

no sweat mate they goin up in 30 minutes

• JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    So whats the extra bar that shows up under a mobs HP when you are playing a warrior?
    It's sort of like combo points in WoW, except they disappear when more haven't been added and they're tagged to the mob instead of the player, so multiple warriors build up combo points together. At 5/10 points it'll increase the duration of your stun shout and at 60 there's another finishing attack for it. I don't think it's a particularly important part of our game mechanic though, but I might be wrong at 60.

first is level 1 plateau until you get... well, rising fury in my opinion, i love that shit for moving around
    then plateau until the mid 20s whereupon you start getting awesome shit every other level:
    22 pounce
    24 leaping strike
    26 death from above
    28 traverse cut + bladedraw
    30 charge
    32 ...mangle...

........fuuuuck.......

42 FUCK YES BACKSTAB

from then on warrior is the best class in the game forever. and then later on you get shit like staggering counter which is hilarious

Once you hit 28, it feels like the warrior class really opens up. You finally have an opportunity to just burn mana and kill something instantly, rather than having to wait for cooldowns. You'll start to switch between Pounce and Combative Strike as your opener, and then change into Traverse Cut/Blade Draw or Rain of Blows, as you see fit.

It also helps if you pick up a pair of blue swords from the AH, whenever you can. ;) On VoT, they're only 2-3g because they're unenchantable, but that doesn't matter for leveling. I went from 190 damage swords to 340 at 27, and 440 to 730 at 38.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Looks cool.

Is there anything here that would appeal to someone who got bored of SWTOR in 6 weeks?

Especially with Diablo 3 only 2 weeks away?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    nope. extended maintenance

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Extended, extended maintenance. Servers aren't coming back until 10am PST (1pm EST)

:(

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Noooo

beezel this is all your fault

I think this injustice warrants a Regal Frostlion Mount as compensation
    #entitledgamers

Beltaine wrote: »
    Looks cool.

Is there anything here that would appeal to someone who got bored of SWTOR in 6 weeks?

The combat and artwork are the main things. The rest are a mixed bag, but nothing "bad". If you are looking for story or something like SWTOR then don't even look at Tera.

Most MMOs skill have a low skill ceiling, where you just need to read tooltips, spec correctly and dont stand in the stupid. Tera cranks things way above that and I'm really enjoying it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    It is all good, i got work till 5pm mountain time

:D

im thinking of rolling a mystic!

Are any of the PA people on PVP servers?

It is all good, i got work till 5pm mountain time

:D

im thinking of rolling a mystic!

Are any of the PA people on PVP servers?

A couple on the two most popular pvp servers. The most populated server in the game overall right now is Valley of Titans. If you roll there good luck with your queue but I hear the pvp encounters to be had are amazing

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I don't have any reasonable expectation that this will still work, but I have an extra PAX East TERA open beta code that is supposed to grant a Regal Frostlion if somebody wants to give it a try. Send me a PM.

Edit: Sold!

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    How full is the PA PVE server? Probably going to roll on there after work today.

Friend had three Headstart codes and I got one. Tried out the game and like what I see. So far Archer has had the most play time. But I like what I've played of the melee classes. Warrior and Lancer were fun. So was Slayer. Berserker... eh, don't hate it. It is probably the closest feel to playing Monster Hunter that I've come across.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Looks cool.

I probably lasted as long as you did with SWTOR. The draw in that game for me was the story, which kept me going for awhile, only to ultimately be undone by the boring, boring combat that didn't even try to be a little different from WoW.

With TERA, I happily skim or skip the quest text just so I can get back to the fighting, because the combat in this game is visceral and exciting, and has a surprising amount of depth (as the warrior vid above demonstrates). It's a bit of a one-trick pony in that combat is TERA's main draw, but it also is a very pretty game with eye candy in generous supply.

I have Diablo III pre-ordered and will likely be taking a bit of a break from TERA when it releases to have at it. That said, after having played the D3 beta, I can say with all honesty that it simply plays like D2, only dumbed down with fewer choices to be made in how you build your character, or even where your abilities can be placed. Unless there's a lot more to it beyond what the beta shows or multiplayer is some serious orgasmic fun, I don't see it holding my exclusive attention for long.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's busy, but the only servers that have had queues are the pvp ones.

Speaking of lions, Amazon says mine is shipping soon! Cannot wait to ditch sidesaddle riding.

Artereis on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    "Badwrong wrote:
    dont stand in the stupid.

This made me giggle!

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    How full is the PA PVE server? Probably going to roll on there after work today.

Friend had three Headstart codes and I got one. Tried out the game and like what I see. So far Archer has had the most play time. But I like what I've played of the melee classes. Warrior and Lancer were fun. So was Slayer. Berserker... eh, don't hate it. It is probably the closest feel to playing Monster Hunter that I've come across.

We're populated but not bogged down with a million folks. I think we're the most populated PVE server though

I have Diablo III pre-ordered and will likely be taking a bit of a break from TERA when it releases to have at it. That said, after having played the D3 beta, I can say with all honesty that it simply plays like D2, only dumbed down with fewer choices to be made in how you build your character, or even where your abilities can be placed. Unless there's a lot more to it beyond what the beta shows or multiplayer is some serious orgasmic fun, I don't see it holding my exclusive attention for long.

Kinda how I feel too. I was thinking Tera looks fun and might play it a little until D3 and GW2 release. Having played all three, I might end up playing Tera more than the others... and really its just because the combat is actually engaging more of my brain than the other two.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • failedninjafailedninja Registered User regular
    So I don't have any reasonable expectation that this will still work, but I have an extra PAX East TERA open beta code that is supposed to grant a Regal Frostlion if somebody wants to give it a try. Send me a PM.

Edit: Sold!

I actually have 3 or 4 of these. If you PM me, I'll send them out tonight after dinner.

• chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    Are archers really that bad later on like people are making them out to be? Or are people just being dumb because it doesn't have the burst of a sorc? Granted mine is only level 12 but it's the most fun I've had with a bow based class in a mmo.

edited April 2012
    they aren't bad, they just ain't popular. and honestly any class in this game is fun.......... even mystic 8-) compared to your average MMO the most "boring" class in TERA would blow everything else out of the water

it's just, warrior is the best. but really, I just enjoy the melee in this game a lot more

Feels Good Man on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    I am on Jagged Coast PVP server. We were seeing half hour queues in the morning and over an hour in the afternoon and evening.

Running into a bunch of stupid PVP tricks currently. Group declares war, then complains about the other guys killing them. Group has a gank squad of top levels hunting down people in the starting areas, then complains when chased down...

Archer hate that I have seen in groups is some of them opening up with the heavy damage and not letting the tank hold attention. Have had some good ones in groups, but also a few that appear to only solo.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I'm lvl 37 and I still get such satisfaction out of my slayer combat. The sword has so much weight to it and spinning overhead while crashing it into an enemy who then goes FLYING never gets old. Oh and while they are on the ground I leap to them and impale them with my sword.

Yesterday we had a lot of GvG combat going. Some people from Reign of Chaos (RoC) were ganking our members as they were fighting BAMs, they were running around in a group of 5-10 just slaughtering our people.

So we responded.

Cue a massive back and forth battle of about 70-80 people (I think we had roughly 45-50ish) where we would run them into a safe camp and taunt them mercilessly until they had reinforcements come in and route us from behind.

So we regrouped and waiting atop a mountain until they came charging out of the camp. Then we go charging down the mountain and parted their forces like a spear. The ensuing slaughter culimated with the last 3-4 of them barely making it into the safe camp alive.

When I left last night the score was our 204 to their 115.

The hilarious part is that they then complained that all we did was zerg, when they were the ones that started a war with us, and they were the ones that zerged us initially until we could muster our numbers.

Good times were had :D

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Is it 10am yet... :rotate:

• TheRealDestianTheRealDestian Registered User regular
    I don't understand the archer hate, either.

Just started playing mine and it seems like a great deal of fun. I love how rapid the "auto attack" alone is...

yeah archer seems like its centered around dishing out rapid hits between their big hurt skills. At least that seems to be the theory behind it

• MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    Just wanted to relate my head-start experience.

The game is instantly fun in terms of combat. Fast paced, fluid and certainly the most skill-based MMO PvE I've experienced. The aesthetics are really pretty, very nice to look at. I'm only 18 thus far, but I'll say it feels like the game is on-rails a bit as far as progression. There aren't many decisions to make when it comes to zones or quests. Crafting/loot in general feels a bit linear too, but the enchanting system is interesting. It's quite a money sink, and will keep the economy of the game running pretty well. But there isn't a lot of variety, atleast for my current level.

I was feeling as though it was a bit too generic for my tastes, despite the great combat and looks. Then I came across an elite boss with a group, and an epic battle broke out which lasted over 40 minutes. Just barely squeezing it in before maint. You really feel the depth of the combat system in these battles, and it's intense the whole way through. Everyone in my group had to pull their weight to win. So I think this game could have some of the best end-game content seen in an MMO. The boss battles are just that fun.

Just me .02. I'm in Basilisk Crag as Vragga, friend me if you're on there.

This discussion has been closed.