As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UsJN94xuPs
    More dungeon group play, courtesy of steparu.

Group consisting of what looks to be
    Lancer
    Warrior
    Slayer
    Sorcerer
    Mystic

http://www.steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/795-tera-online-slayer-mini-guide

Slayer miniguide, also by Steparu, for people interested/curious

Man this video was very disappointing. I was hoping fights would be different to regular MMO's but this...this is like every other MMO. "Guy tanks a braindead monster while everyone else punches it in the butt"

t5qfc9.jpg
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Well, that looks like a boss. I'm expecting multi-mob dungeon pulls to be a bit more interesting/dynamic.

Also, all the dodging and stuff makes it a bit more dynamic.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    So after looking over all of the classes and their descriptions on the new website I have decided to make the following:

Main: Berserker
    Alt 1: Priest
    Alt 2: Warrior

That could change though, all depends on how many people are playing what classes at launch. Though I think Berserker is going to be passed up a lot in favor of Slayer, and I think Warriors are going to have as hard a time being considered effective tanks as Mystics will at being main healers.

I completely expect groups to be:

Lancer
    Priest
    DPSers

The only disparity between the two, Warriors and Lancers, is that Lancers are far better tanks at low skill. Some groups pick Lancers because they are the "easy bet" since even a marginal Lancer is good enough while leveling up, and doing easy dungeons. Warriors cannot say the same thing. They have to play much better to do the same job. and this gap doesn't close until 58 expert dungeons where both Lancers and Warriors must know when to block/dodge or risk getting one shotted.

The changes to Warriors are to keep their high end difficulty the same, while making Warriors capable of getting groups at the low end. Warriors were never intended to do end game DPS

As for Mystic vs Priest, People actually prefer mystics though. Because they bring better group buffs and utility even though healing with them is slightly harder.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Looking back on Rift and how hard it was at first for Rogue Tanks and Mage Healers to get groups as the mains of their function, I expect nothing different in Tera.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited January 2012
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Looking back on Rift and how hard it was at first for Rogue Tanks and Mage Healers to get groups as the mains of their function, I expect nothing different in Tera.

I think it'll be apparent what mystics and warriors were meant to do when people try to dps with them in dungeons at endgame. They aren't "hybrid classes" anymore. I'm actually planning on making mystic my main, since they have an easier time solo leveling than priest. But mostly because their healing style is a bit more dynamic.

Beezel on
    Beezel wrote:
    I think it'll be apparent what mystics and warriors were meant to do when people try to dps with them in dungeons at endgame. They aren't "hybrid classes" anymore

For that I am happy and sad at the same time.

But hey, Berserker is a heavy armor wearing big weapon carrying DPS class. Which is FANTASTIC.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Berserker can actually tank some early low level content. It's the fact that they have zero aggro generating abilities that phase them out of this going into the 20s when the game takes the training wheels off and actively starts trying to murder players.

Zzulu wrote:
    Beezel wrote:
    -snip-
    More dungeon group play, courtesy of steparu.

Group consisting of what looks to be
    Lancer
    Warrior
    Slayer
    Sorcerer
    Mystic

http://www.steparu.com/previews/mmo-rpg-previews/795-tera-online-slayer-mini-guide

Slayer miniguide, also by Steparu, for people interested/curious

Man this video was very disappointing. I was hoping fights would be different to regular MMO's but this...this is like every other MMO. "Guy tanks a braindead monster while everyone else punches it in the butt"

It may look that way but there is a little bit more going on than what appears at a glance. Keeping a monster's attention is pretty hard for tanks due to the way threat works in this game. There is only one threat table. And everyone is always competing on it at the same time. Every one of those huge criticals scored by that slayer shot it right up to the top of that monster's hit list regardless of what the tank was doing. The tank there was pretty good at reacting and grabbing threat back on top of being able to concentrate on mitigating his own incoming damage. Steparu is a very good player though and that clip is probably an example of what "near perfect" group play looks like.

I want to get into the Beta sooooo bad.

I want to murder things with all the classes and play with the character creator so I can have an exact plan for launch.

Steam
    I just want to see a state of the game where everything isn't foreign moon runes. mostly to see some of these quality of life improvements that I think every mmo needs going forward. like not restricting the default UI and letting you move and resize any aspect of it you please

I tried to log in on the new website and I had to re-register. D:

It better not get rid of my original sign up date of Dec 09 or so help me...

I will probably just cry. :cry:

Steam
    it probably didn't since it remembered the ridiculous thing I picked as my forum name.

......I signed up again just to be sure though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RCPNxm0gwE

Popori animations are just straight up delightful.

Fact or Fiction.
    I keep hearing this and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it.

Apparently the founders of Arenanet and some of the devs that worked on GW1 left Anet after NCsoft bought them out to help form EnMasse Entertainment.

that's hilariously creepy and small world but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Uh... what? What I've heard it was folks who had worked on what was supposed to be Lineage 3, which ArenaNet hadn't even touched.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited January 2012
    Arthil wrote:
    Uh... what? What I've heard it was folks who had worked on what was supposed to be Lineage 3, which ArenaNet hadn't even touched.

the former L3 guys formed BlueHole Studios, TERA's original devs. Which is either En Masse Entertainment's partner or parent company. EME was reportedly formed from former Anet and NCsoft West employees that worked on GW1 and Aion respectively.

EDIT: While we're on the subject, EME responds to NCsoft's claims:
    http://news.mmosite.com/content/k/2012-01-29/en_masse_entertainment_outright_rejecting_to_ncsoft_lawsuit.shtml

"We are disappointed that NCsoft is attempting to mar the launch of TERA. Unfortunately we can't discuss much publicly due to the sensitivity of legal actions, but we do outright reject the NCsoft claims, and we are going to do everything in our power to defend and protect ourselves.

To all our supporters who have been anticipating the arrival of TERA - please know that this situation has no impact on our continuing efforts to realize the vision we have for our game. We are committed to making TERA awesome and delivering the game to you on time on May 1. Thank you for your patience and support."

Beezel on
    Apparently there's going to be some region blocking going on in the NA servers

"En Masse will block IPs based on region. Asia, Africa, Russia, and the Middle East are included on the block list. While we appreciate that there are players in these regions who would enjoy playing on En Masse servers, it's unfortunate that the vast majority of Internet traffic we see from these regions are from cyber-criminals relating to account theft, gold-farming and other hacking behavior."

... Australia isn't considered 'Asia' in that regard, are they?

I doubt it. I think they mean more like China probably.

Looked it up, Australia is in what's called the 'Southern Hemisphere' so they're probably good.

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Do you actually have to aim your heal spells as well even with people theoretically dodging around and stuff?

JediNight wrote:
    Do you actually have to aim your heal spells as well even with people theoretically dodging around and stuff?

yes and no. some of the healing spells are big aoes that are cast a set distance in front of where you're aiming. Some healing and cleansing spells are multi-target lock on spells. Meaning you hit the button, center your crosshairs on the people you want affected up to a set amount and then press the button to release. Which can be a pain trying to tag characters with small hitboxes like Elin or Popori

From what I understand it, yes, you do. Though one of the healers does a thing where they basically throw magical 'orbs' of health that people can walk over.

edited January 2012
    more group play vids:

Warrior tanking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MO_poRTfAA

Group play from a sorcerer's perspective (Vent chatter, some NSFW language may apply)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqn8jMBBFsA

Beezel on
    Actual Beta codes supposedly went out for the 1000 contest winners in EU yesterday.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Anyone lucked out? Not me, unfortunately.

Glal on
    edited January 2012
    25 winners were also announced via the "retweetstakes" (god that term makes me want to slap a walrus)

EDIT: I'm actually kind of curious if all this other stuff going down has them ramping their schedule up a little sooner to try and get it into consumer's hands asap

Beezel on
    Beta schedule is supposed to be released this week!!

Steam
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Did anyone here get in?

I didn't. But then again I only signed up for the NA beta and those haven't been announced for anything yet I don't think

Man it's going to be rough deciding what class I want to play. Leaning towards mystic as my main. But Archer and Berserker look pretty baller.

Beezel wrote:
    Man it's going to be rough deciding what class I want to play. Leaning towards mystic as my main. But Archer and Berserker look pretty baller.

I already called Berserker, pick something else. :P

Steam
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Beezel wrote:

I already called Berserker, pick something else. :P

FFFFFFFFFFINE.

Also the high elf capital is a giant techno tree. What's with elves and trees?

I dunno, it's a thing.

Elves = Forests/Trees
    Dwarves = Mountains/Caves/Rocks

I am playing a Castanic, so I don't care what sort of techno tree the Elves are rolling.

Steam
    Sweet you get dirty high fantasy New Orleans as your home city then.

Beezel wrote:
    Sweet you get dirty high fantasy New Orleans as your home city then.

Yes!

Way better than techno tree city.

Though, I think of it as being more dirty high fantasy Las Vegas, but without the gambling.

Steam
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    http://tera.enmasse.com/news/posts/pre-order-tera-on-the-en-masse-store

Pre-order Tera and get into all the betas.
    We're proud to announce that TERA is now available for pre-order on the En Masse Entertainment store! Pre-ordering will grant access to all of TERA's five closed beta tests and allow players to retain their characters and their progress for the duration of the closed beta period from February to April. Interested in learning more about the beta tests? Check out TERA's beta test schedule!

Pre-ordering from the En Masse Entertainment store also rewards players with the White Stallion, a unique mount, in addition to a level 10 City Wheel Earring, a level 35 Seren's Sand Ring, the ability to create a character and reserve its name before launch, and access to the exclusive Head Start play period over the weekend prior to TERA's launch on May 1.

In addition to a standard edition, TERA will be available in two collector's editions as well —a traditional boxed edition and a digital download. Both will grant players unique in-game items, including the Regal Frostlion Mount for in-game mounted travel, and two equippable items: the level 15 Velik's Bloodstone Necklace and the level 40 Shakan's Bloodstone Necklace.

Available in limited quantities, the physical Limited Collector's Edition will include collectable items such as a Letter of Marque, a canvas world map, a field guide, a Valkyon Federation-issued compass, and a game soundtrack. All versions of TERA include 30 days of game time. Also, players who subscribe to TERA for three, six, or twelve month intervals will receive inaugural pricing. These reduced rates won't be available after May 1 when subscriptions begin so lock yours in before it's too late!

TERA can also be pre-ordered from major retailers including Best Buy, GameStop, Walmart, Target, and Amazon. Visit our pre-order page for more details.

We look forward to seeing you in TERA's first closed beta test starting February 10!

Same deal for europe but they appear to also let you deposit a pre-order and then convert to a full purchase later if you want.

http://community.tera-europe.com/shop.html

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Whelp, pre-ordered!

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Hmm, five bucks for beta access. It almost sounds reasonable.

Wait the pre-order is only $5?

Also... seems they're ramping up with some advertising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwcyJY9eEw

This discussion has been closed.