As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Joining A Gym (Dawn Of The First Day)

YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called ZIn the complex planeRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My fiancee and I are finally biting the bullet and joining a gym. We got a recommendation for a gym near here from a friend and fellow PA forum member. So that's step 1 done. It's steps 2 through 1000 that are foxing me now. I guess I'll just lay out the info and my questions.

My fiancee and I are both office workers, so we're sedentary most of the day. We're not overweight and we don't overeat or eat processes food. We tend to make healthier choices food-wise. What we want out of this is mainly increased energy and being able to sleep better. Obvious we plan on, if not losing weight, than redistributing it. The closest we've come to a gym is using the cardio equipment while on a cruise. (We had to counter to 80000 calorie buffet somehow).

My questions are two-fold:

1. What should I be doing while I'm at the gym? And don't just say "do this exercise" because unless it's something supremely obvious to a person who has never been in a gym, I don't know how to do that. Don't tell me to do 15lbs on the squat rack because I have no clue what a squat rack is why I should be racking squats.

2. What gym specific behavior is expected? I'm not talking about not staring at the women or making sure to clean up after myself. I do know to whipe down at least the cardio equipment, but that's about where my knowledge ends.

YamiNoSenshi on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Common Gym ettiquete:

1)Whipe down ANY equipments
    2)If you're not using an equipment, don't be on it. My pet peeve is watching someone sitting on a weight machine on their phones while I wait to use it.
    3)Grunting is generally frowned up
    4)Letting weights drop (either in the machines or free weights) is also a no, no.

As for excercises you'll probably get more specific advise but generally you'll want to find a good mix between cardio and weights.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    KidDynamiteKidDynamite Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good etiquette above.

If you are like me, you will drop weights as you work out. Just try hard to not make it a habit.

If you're just starting out, do some form of cardio, and then work on weights.

I do about 20 on the elliptical, varying speeds and resistance. And then jump rope. And then work on weights.

Don't go all out crazy your first couple of times. I've seen alot where new people just slam themselves, and then get discouraged because they are soo sore 2 days later.

And when you are sore, you should go back. I think it really helps the muscle tightness to work them out again.

KidDynamite on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When you join they'll probably at least give you a brief orientation as to the layout and equipment. Some places will do a complementary fitness evaluation and put together a routine for you but at the least they should be able to answer your questions about how to use the machines.

I'd suggest to you guys that you set slightly more specific goals than just having more energy and being able to sleep better. I know for me it's easier to get motivated about going if I'm trying to accomplish something specific. Whether it's a weight loss goal, a goal for cardio (go x far in x time), or a goal for weights (x pounds in x lift) it'll give you a reason to go and a sense of accomplishment when you achieve whatever you goal is.

As to what specifically you should do at the gym, that's going to relate to your goals. I'm a big fan of free-weight training and all your questions can be answered in this thread here. We're all relatively pleasant and helpful. Cardio's a little more self-explanatory, hop on a treadmill/eliptical/rower and just go for a while.

Peen on
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There is a really good chance that the gym has a person there who's job is to show you how to use the gym, and can construct a basic exercise plan for you.

Form is everything, if you don't have proper form when doing an exercise, you risk serious injury. As you claim you have no experience using the gym, then you will need some help here.

Don't over do it your first time out. You will be sore after working out, that is normal and will go away in a week or so. Actually working out again will actually help you feel better. Again, a trainer can help you understand this.

Start light, better to work up to your level over a couple weeks then to think you are a monster right out of the gate and pull a muscle.

As a last resort, if there is no trainer at the gym, and you have no alternative. You can find short video's of proper form for all exercises on line. Something like this

Did i mention Form was important?

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also - try to make the gym a habit, as it's the only way it'll be successful. Even if you don't have the best workout "plan", doing cardio lifting for an hour a day is going to be good, no matter what. See if they have a couple of free personal trainer sessions or a weight training group, that way you can learn correct form as well as groups of exercises.

schuss on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Go to SE++ and the weight training thread, it is a HUGE wealth of information. With a ton of awesome people to help you. Also you should pick up "starting strength" on amazon. Its about $25 last time I checked and it is one of the best resources you'll ever spend money on to getting in better shape. It details important exercises, how to do them, correct form and has a great beginners workout plan. It also will work for both guys and girls.
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Common Gym ettiquete:

1)Whipe down ANY equipments
    2)If you're not using an equipment, don't be on it. My pet peeve is watching someone sitting on a weight machine on their phones while I wait to use it.
    3)Grunting is generally frowned up
    4)Letting weights drop (either in the machines or free weights) is also a no, no.

As for excercises you'll probably get more specific advise but generally you'll want to find a good mix between cardio and weights.

For the bolded, grunting is fine if you're lifting near your limits and need all the help you can get. Now you don't need to be screaming or making a racket, but a bit of grunting is OK in most gyms.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

1. What should I be doing while I'm at the gym? And don't just say "do this exercise" because unless it's something supremely obvious to a person who has never been in a gym, I don't know how to do that. Don't tell me to do 15lbs on the squat rack because I have no clue what a squat rack is why I should be racking squats.

1. Before you start exercising you need to identify your goals. That will determine what types of exercises you should be doing from there and then you can find a work out plan that fits those exercises. Weightlifting in some form will help you reach any of those goals and should always be part of your routine. When I say weightlifting, I mean free weights. Avoid machines.

(Assuming your fiancee is a woman) All of the above also applies to your fiancee. Women are always scared to lift weights because they thing they will get all bulky and gross. This is almost impossible and requires years of intense training (and probably some drugs). Encourage her to lift free weights with you (NO MACHINES), it will help her lose weight (if that's her goal) and get nice and toned.

As someone mentioned before, there is an awesome fitness/weightlifting thread in SE++, go visit it and read there.

As another piece of advice, don't be nervous at the gym. I was when I started and then I realized no one gives a crap what you're doing as long as you're not a dick.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh yea, if you deadlift and squat you will fart at some point during a lift. It ain't no thing. Don't make a big deal about it and no one else will either. :D

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why avoid machines like the plague, again?

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    matbot3imatbot3i Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    These are some very general tips.
    If they have a set of machines set up as a circuit, that'd be the easiest thing to do.
    Paying for a personal trainer for a few sessions might help you guys develop a good routine and good form.
    Take some classes if they offer any.
    Mix it up day-to-day--variation will keep things from getting too repetitive. For instance, have different routines, mix cardio and strength, don't go everyday.
    Have at least one designated rest day and maybe an outdoor activity day.

matbot3i on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    Why avoid machines like the plague, again?

Machines isolate specific muscles at the exclusion of the smaller stabilizer muscles around them. So when you do go use those muscles for something besides the machines, you are way more likely to injure yourself.

The machines also do some portion of the work for you, so you it will take you longer to reach your goals, although the machines will trick you into thinking you have reached them.

Some machines can be used for accessory work, but it should be limited and someone just starting weightlifting should be more focused on performing compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, presses and bench.

YodaTuna on