Options

Photo-Graphy, it's pretty neat. (NSF56k)

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Those purple skies are crazy!

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    So my recent work from the Creek County, OK wild fires has gotten me a lot of attention. My video went national on Fox, CBS, and ABC, and a few morning radio shows have had me on to do some self promoting and talk about my work from the fires. Recently I have been getting a lot of calls and messages from people wanting to purchase prints of some of my shots and I am unsure as to what I should charge. Who here has experience selling prints to the public and what kind of numbers should I be quoting them? I have a ton of experience with video but not so much with still photos when it comes to sales.

My gallery of the fire consists of 80 public photos and about 120 others that I have yet to publish. Bellow are just a few of my favorite shots.
    IMG_4101_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4149_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4263_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4021_fire_080212.jpg
    IMG_4257_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4309_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4310_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4313_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4339_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg

BONUS IMAGE! This long exposure shot has a fire truck that drove through it. The odd pattern on the road is from the LED light bar on the roof. That is the pattern the lights made as they flashed and moved along the bar while the truck drove by. Pretty neat, huh?! :D

IMG_3941_fire_080212.jpg

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    And here are even more of the shots that I have been asked to sale.

IMG_3886_fire_080212.jpg
    IMG_3969_fire_080212.jpg
    IMG_4465_Creek_County_Fire_080412.jpgIMG_4157_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4446_Creek_County_Fire_080412.jpg
    IMG_4525_Creek_County_Fire_080412.jpg
    IMG_4537_Creek_County_Fire_080412.jpg
    IMG_4579_Creek_County_Fire_080412.jpg
    IMG_4381_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg

Chimera on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    AND LASTLY!.... Here are the last few shots I was asked whether or not they were for sale. The one on my bottom is my favorite shot and the one above it is my second favorite.

IMG_4346_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_4417_creek_county_fire_080312.jpg
    IMG_3989_fire_080212.jpg
    I was told the above image looks like the devil holding a pitchfork.
    IMG_4664_Creek_County_Fire_080412.jpg
    IMG_4679_Creek_County_Fire_080412%2528hero%2529.jpg

Chimera on
  • Options
    Let me know which you all like the most and what you think I should charge for them! :D

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oh my god those are such fantastic shots chimera!

• Options
    Thank you! There are many more but those are the ones that I have been approached on.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I love t he flames busting out of the Challenger. It's like YEAH, BURN, FIRE FIRE YEAH!!!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Those pictures are all very impressive Chimera! My favorite is the burning truck; only the inside is burning and it just looks so eery. I furthermore have to commend you for taking such impressive shots in such physically uncomfortable conditions. I think you'd be best off asking about prices in the Artist's Corner subforum. And then next time you can be prepared to sell your shots on the spot, because I am assuming newspapers were among some of those people who'd asked and they would want quick turn-around.

• Options
    Surprisingly I was not approached by any newspapers! Most were just members of the public. My video on the other hand did sell to the media as was my intent when I filmed it. Since I am a freelance photojournalist I do typically keep my self available fore media outlets to buy my work. My videos went fast, but my photos didn't. This was however my first time to put such a focus on stills instead of video which is what I am known for and have worked with exclusively for the past several years.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Chimera, I've never sold photo prints before, but I think the key consideration is size and format.

Most time when I've bought them though, an 8x10 will be $20 unframed. I just sent off a couple of my own pics to get canvased, and they charged me about $80 just to print/mount my own artwork.

I'd say aim high and capitalize on the moment, though. :lol:

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    So I brought my camera with me climbin to a couple of places and did not use it much.

I need a smaller bag that is easier to carry around. Also some more versatile lenses.

I borrowed my lady's camera to take this picture once I climbed to the top of a route

QyzuX.jpg

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    That's pretty. What camera/lens did you use?

I always stitch panoramas together in software, and I've always wanted to get an actual lens instead.

• Options
    That is stitched together in software, I was borrowing my girlfriend's camera for it.

It was a Tamron 18-200mm on a Nikon D80.

I really want that lens now though. My zoom is a shitty 75-300mm that was relatively cheap.

That Tamron is super wide. I like wide, it is a great lens to take climbing.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so a friend of mine is getting married, and she did the usual round of pre-wedding photos. Except the guy they hired is apparently pretty neat, and he took this shot

393390_10151193510328156_1904879964_n.jpg

which I think is quite lovely

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    wow, that's a cool image.

• Options
    actually i've been trying to take my camera out more. I stopped for quite a while.

rz6h3l.jpg

4rYdEl.jpg

h6uuJl.jpg

• Options
    I wanna go there

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    So I brought my camera with me climbin to a couple of places and did not use it much.

I need a smaller bag that is easier to carry around. Also some more versatile lenses.

I borrowed my lady's camera to take this picture once I climbed to the top of a route

QyzuX.jpg

I really like this. Has a very Lion King "Everything the light touches" feel.

• Options
    @Artrues, great job with the pano, it looks fantastic!

@Tynic, nice black and whites. I am a stickler for B&W photography. The last of the ones you posted are my favorite. Bellow are a few I took several years ago when I shot with a Nikon DSLR. Sorry these images are super compressed and thus kinda noisy.

19rryo.jpg
    20axlco.jpg
    55lbsw.jpg
    3322c5w.jpg

I have many many more as well as these same photos in a higher quality but they are on a different HDD than the one I have here and so I cant post the rest until tomorrow.

I will also get up some photos from Hurricane Issac in Louisiana and Mississippi for you soon too. :D

• Options
    Aahhhhh those bird pics are amazing

• Options
    Really? :D

• Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    I would try playing with the contrast on those last two pics, it's pretty low at the moment and I feel they would end up better closer to the second picture in tone.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I was trying to figure out if the space thread or photo thread would be more appropriate for this.
    8013525520_ee58184d94_b.jpg

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    could you link that? My workplace doesn't allow pics of plane sex

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    That is totally radical.

Goodbye, awesome space shuttles

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    could you link that? My workplace doesn't allow pics of plane sex
    space_descartes_zps8824209c.png

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    epburnepburn Registered User regular
    It's been awhile so hey here's this.

8017370549_d36938ae86_c.jpg
    sunset by epburn, on Flickr

• Options
    edited September 2012
    zkompv.jpg

Oklahoma energy, it comes from the sky and under the ground here. :D

Chimera on
  • Options
    Okay photo thread

I was just at a thing where there were a lot of people spinning poi

So I took a shitload of pictures

here is one of them

cPUxS.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2012
    also another one

xjxLk.jpg

Li21r.jpg

Artreus on
  • Options
    I see that glowstick in the first one, you were at a rave, weren't you.

• Options
    A regional burning man type thing

• Options
    Nice!

Hopefully with less sandstorms to eat your camera.

• Options
    _MG_6556.jpg
    _MG_6280.jpg

Moooooo.....

_MG_6438.jpg

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Wow what the fuck Chimera.

Now you making me not even want to post pictures on this page.

Really though, nice shots all around- but particularly on the fire mans. =3

• Options
    Wow what the fuck Chimera.

Now you making me not even want to post pictures on this page.

Really though, nice shots all around- but particularly on the fire mans. =3

Well I am glad someone likes my shots! I really don't think I am that good yet. I have like, 100's more but I hate my own photography 90% of the time and so I think they all suck to bad to post them.

• Options
    Hey look, I took a pic in good ol' black and white!

_MG_5323.jpg
    _MG_5340.jpg

And I did that thingy where you leave some color in!

_MG_5337.jpg

I'm not totally sure what is going on in this next picture but it looks kinky.

_MG_5290.jpg

I normally am not a fan of B&W or the one where you leave bits of color in but seeing as how I have never tried doing the latter before I thought I would this one time. Tell me what you think!

If you want to see them in glorious color I can show you that too.

• Options
    One of the highest rated Octoberfests in the world is here in my home town of Tulsa, OK and today I intend on going out to shoot it.... as well as have many beers and brauts. Wish me luck! :D

• Options
    Oh, you're in Tulsa? Huh.

We should have hung out!