As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photo-Graphy, it's pretty neat. (NSF56k)

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    huh. After seeing those iphone photos, it's made me think that maybe I could get some cool photos and upload em for everyone's viewing pleasure. Camera plus app you say?

The photos so far have been fantastic

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    is that second one the tilt shifting app?

I really like the iphone4's camera in light but in the dark it is a steaming pile of asses.

I mean, are there any phone or p&s sensors that can do low light?

no I mean you're right

and I mean what can you expect from a lens that's a quarter of an inch wide?

So size does matter :winky:

Sheri on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    baby I got a lens like a coke can

#pipe on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Have you seen the lens Sheri rocks? It's huge.

I have one almost as long, but the girth on hers is ridiculous, and puts mine to shame.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pancake lenses are where it's at.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anamanaguchi concert tonight, gonna bring my camera and 50mm.

Don't know if I'll end up taking it in with me though, I have no idea what the crowd is going to be like.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i just take pictures of my dog

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ill jump in here, some photos of my Europe trip last year these are all in Ireland and Scotland.

5577538679_609922435f_z.jpg

5577537925_ca43056f5f_z.jpg

5577536985_8e158b3359_z.jpg

5577536355_178fa299f8_z.jpg

5577535649_811cf4fb90_z.jpg

The sun was wreaking havoc on me on the 4th one but I still like the shot.

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i just take pictures of my dog

IMG_0524.JPG

D'awwww!

Sheri on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't take many photos, except on occaison. This is one I took a little while back:

kOlgc.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Anamanaguchi concert tonight, gonna bring my camera and 50mm.

Don't know if I'll end up taking it in with me though, I have no idea what the crowd is going to be like.

I've taken my 350D to front-row-centre for three Against Me! gigs with the crowd going nuts behind me. I usually take a thick hoodie and some towels in my messenger bag which I wear at the front to act as a cushion against the edge of the stage and wrap the strap around my neck. Watch your surroundings for crowd-surfers overhead and make sure you use your elbows to stay at the front. Detach anything that could be shaken off (lens cap, rubber eye-piece surround, and the remote all go in your pocket). If it's looking like it's getting too crazy then whip the strap off and bury your camera in the towels in your bag and you can make your way back from the stage.

Just don't be that obnoxious prick that stands in front of everyone taking pictures, be considerate.

Some venues also have issue with "pro" cameras. In that case they always do bag-check at the door, so I'll substitute the thick jumper for a thick hoodie, remove the lens and wear the camera with the strap over one arm / neck underneath the hoodie and slip the lens into one of the pockets at the front. The 50mm is small enough not to stick out too much if you position it right. The only problem is you just look like a fatty and then have to get the lens on / hoodie off once you're inside.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I went to see Ben Folds at my college campus, brought my camera, and was told 'no cameras' at the door. They made me check it. i.e. give my camera to someone I don't know, where I can't see it, for a few hours. I wasn't very happy. I got the name of the guy who was taking it and told him that I'd hold him personally responsible if anything happened to it.

When I got inside, I saw no fewer than 5 professional level cameras.

Still pissed.

Sheri on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm always afraid to bring my camera to shows because I don't want to leave it. I think shows should be very upfront about camera rules.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well down here most venues are, like, the House of Blues, which I know for a fact has a 'no cameras' rule

Sometimes it depends on the band, but for HoB the venue decides. I love performance photography, but I guess I'll either have to find it elsewhere, or get a press pass

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The decision on cameras can come from the band, their label, the tour promoter, or the venue. The band usually gets final say, though. Just call the venue ahead of time and ask. If you think it's going to be a problem, contact the band directly. I've been put on the "press" list for a bunch of shows just by asking the band.

Just don't go in there shooting with a flash. I swear to god. I don't even care if you know what you're doing with fill lighting and are somehow not going to ruin your own pictures blah blah blah. It's hard enough to look out from the stage with the lighting rig pointed right in your face. Every single camera flash made me want to stop playing music and spit on someone.

edit: Not a direct response to you, Sheri. Your post wasn't up when I opened the page earlier. Dealing with a shitty mid scale or larger venue can be a pain in the ass. Even there, bands can probably still get you on the press list, though. Just plan it out earlier. Contact the band or label a month or so out and show them your website and whatever.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sweet. photo thread. Those iPhone photos are disgustingly good, just doesn't seem right.

5550970929_156661b8bb_z.jpg
    5578248792_e4a34abb78_z.jpg
    5564635493_7a34b1ab6a_z.jpg
    5517622717_afe425367a_z.jpg

Jives on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The decision on cameras can come from the band, their label, the tour promoter, or the venue. The band usually gets final say, though. Just call the venue ahead of time and ask. If you think it's going to be a problem, contact the band directly. I've been put on the "press" list for a bunch of shows just by asking the band.

Just don't go in there shooting with a flash. I swear to god. I don't even care if you know what you're doing with fill lighting and are somehow not going to ruin your own pictures blah blah blah. It's hard enough to look out from the stage with the lighting rig pointed right in your face. Every single camera flash made me want to stop playing music and spit on someone.

edit: Not a direct response to you, Sheri. Your post wasn't up when I opened the page earlier. Dealing with a shitty mid scale or larger venue can be a pain in the ass. Even there, bands can probably still get you on the press list, though. Just plan it out earlier. Contact the band or label a month or so out and show them your website and whatever.

It's cool

Does contacting the band really help even for larger musicians? I mean, not Lady Gaga-style, but if it's still a pretty big band, do you think that might still work? I've never tried, but I do love me some concert photography.

Sheri on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I went to the zoo and took some cool photos but the one i really wanted to show i can't find where i put it

ANYWAY
    182659_725902144334_21313786_40341699_6456965_n.jpg
    180843_725901615394_21313786_40341689_19133_n.jpg
    181539_725901570484_21313786_40341687_4732907_n.jpg
    183071_725901560504_21313786_40341686_1109422_n.jpg

this wasn't at the zoo it was on my porch
    182411_725900238154_21313786_40341650_3700003_n.jpg

back to the zoo
    180315_725902289044_21313786_40341705_7317747_n.jpg
    182615_725902174274_21313786_40341700_2067708_n.jpg

i like animals

Arch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sheri wrote: »
    Does contacting the band really help even for larger musicians? I mean, not Lady Gaga-style, but if it's still a pretty big band, do you think that might still work? I've never tried, but I do love me some concert photography.

You might have better luck contacting the record label to at least get put in touch with the right person. That said, I think you'll see more and more musicians in the more popular bands keeping up with their own social networking junk, rather than some publicist or handler. They want publicity. They want well taken photos. Just make it clear to them that you're a professional, that you're not trying to do this to make money for yourself, at least in the short term, and that you will make the photos available to them for use with proper credit or whatever.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I went to see Ben Folds at my college campus, brought my camera, and was told 'no cameras' at the door. They made me check it. i.e. give my camera to someone I don't know, where I can't see it, for a few hours. I wasn't very happy. I got the name of the guy who was taking it and told him that I'd hold him personally responsible if anything happened to it.

Still pissed.

I went to a vans warped tour once

and they wouldn't let me in with my camera because "it has a detachable lens" and "only amateur cameras are allowed" and I arrived at the show in a cab and literally had nowhere to put my camera and they didn't have a cloak room or anywhere to keep it.

I had to stash it in a storm drain.

#pipe on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011

and they wouldn't let me in with my camera because "it has a detachable lens" and "only amateur cameras are allowed" and I arrived at the show in a cab and literally had nowhere to put my camera and they didn't have a cloak room or anywhere to keep it.

The first time it happened to me the bouncer just said I had to leave it in my bag and not take it out. He threatened something like if the guys on stage saw me with the camera I'd be ejected.

30 seconds later I was talking with the drummer and the bassist and they said to just go right ahead as long as I didn't use the flash.

Since then I've avoided it by stashing the lens / camera in pockets and under clothing and happily letting the bouncers search my bag. It's not as if they have time for a full strip-search.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Still pissed.

I would. . . um. . .

Honestly, I'd probably cry

Like, I couldn't stash my camera somewhere. I'd be a nervous wreck the whole time.

and if I'd bought tickets, I couldn't just give up on them and go home

Though if I HAD to, I'd probably do the latter over the former.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have a shoot today, hurray!

(Tryin' to keep this thing alive over here, c'mon people)

Sheri on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    If I can get some decent light in the apartment I was thinking of taking a set with the kids. The sun is out so it might be possible.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cool thread. I'll try to dig up some pics to post.

I've got a Olympus IS-1, cira mid-1990s. Nice camera, been fine for anything I've wanted to do. Sadly there seems to be an issue with the film loader lately. You pull the film out across the shutter and when you close the back, little teeth are supposed to catch the notches to advance the roll. It just spins now, and only occasionally will load.

Is it repairable? Any ballparks on what something like that might cost? I'm sure there's place around here to do it, just have no idea what it'd be. Think I might replace the batteries and see if that helps. Thanks.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So, it's an electronic winder? Are the teeth visible? Maybe you're not pulling it far enough out for the spool to catch? Some of them also have a slot or tab that helps catch the film. I dunno, man. It's hard to guess what the cost would be without knowing why it's not catching. Maybe you're hearing the motor turn, but a gear is out or something, so the spool isn't actually spinning. You could try marking a spot on the spool to see if it's actually changing position.

Anyway, one of you guys should buy me a Fuji X100. Or you can split the cost. I'm not picky, really.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    AxesOfEvilAxesOfEvil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, I got my 400mm 5.6L over Christmas, but I haven't had much time to use it. I got it mostly for bird shooting, but the couple times I've gone out to the reserve, I haven't been able to get the kind of sharpness I'd like. I'm wondering if my camera-body has a touch of back-focus. My 450D has no way to adjust it, and I'm reluctant to have it serviced without knowing whether I am expecting too much from the lens, or if I just suck at using it properly. Here's some shots from our last time to Sauvie Island. As I said, I'm not really happy with them
    5582571090_94b0c4d463.jpg

5582571176_7608c2b891.jpg

5582571260_a00512445e.jpg

AxesOfEvil on
  • Options
    AxesOfEvilAxesOfEvil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, Kadith if your'e till around what scope/ccd do you use for shooting? I've done some DSO shooting with my 450D and an 800mm f4, but the processing is really time consuming to do all the alignment, stacking and color adjustment, and my tripod really isn't very good. Plus I don't get to do much, since it is cloudy in Portland all fall/winter/spring, so my season won't start again till May.

AxesOfEvil on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yesterday I picked up a Canon T3i, mostly for video work, but also to rekindle my interest in photography. This camera is super nice.

No pictures really worth showing off yet, but here's my turtle Blastoise, just because he's super cool.

207605_10150138116379983_514019982_6580529_6202045_n.jpg

198992_10150138116549983_514019982_6580532_101580_n.jpg

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Here is a picture from the SDO that I think looks super rad

5582618141_9e690db833_z.jpg

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Good god my weekends for the rest of April are, like, booked solid

Now if only someone would just pay me

:cry:

Sheri on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    sheri

pretty much all the venues in st. pete and tampa allow cameras

although getting a press pass would probably be better

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    also, has anybody posted ansel adams yet?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't believe anybody has yet.

I am getting a job soon as a photographer for the school paper but I keep running into paperwork problems that are making it take forever.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    adams_tetons.jpg

Ansel_Adams_-_Farm_workers_and_Mt._Williamson.jpg

adams_aspens.jpg

EDIT: woops

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, it's an electronic winder? Are the teeth visible? Maybe you're not pulling it far enough out for the spool to catch? Some of them also have a slot or tab that helps catch the film. I dunno, man. It's hard to guess what the cost would be without knowing why it's not catching. Maybe you're hearing the motor turn, but a gear is out or something, so the spool isn't actually spinning. You could try marking a spot on the spool to see if it's actually changing position.

Anyway, one of you guys should buy me a Fuji X100. Or you can split the cost. I'm not picky, really.

Yup, it's a motorized winder - I slip the top part of the film under a tab, then make sure the end (beginning) of the roll is flat and within a small marked area. When I close the back, the teeth grab the holes and pull the film out of the can. There's a grinding/whining noise like it's spinning, but not catching. Yeah, it was kind of a long shot, but just wanted an idea if it's going to be like $50 or like $500. Just weird, since it's been unused for a year, or more. That's why I'll give the batteries a shot first.

That's a nice looking camera.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I still really like this lucky snapshot I got on my tour bus in New York a couple of years ago.

IMG_0809.jpg

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    sheri

pretty much all the venues in st. pete and tampa allow cameras

although getting a press pass would probably be better

Yes cuz they'll also let you up front

Then kick you out after the third song (that is the average from what I hear)

I have the gear to shoot from farther away

I dunno, I'd have to do some thinking on it.

Sheri on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    adams_tetons.jpg

Ansel_Adams_-_Farm_workers_and_Mt._Williamson.jpg

adams_aspens.jpg

EDIT: woops

pip you are such a sentimental I don't even

Tam on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    not that I've got any room to talk

Vivian Maier
    I like her work a lot
    I adore it

1581a4o.jpg

2wehshz.jpg

989c2p.jpg

2utls7n.jpg

106hnpi.jpg

jshkeb.jpg

2vdl1m9.jpg

still very much enamored with black and white photos that are mostly spontaneous

Tam on