Options

CSI: Ankh-Morpork

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am.. cautiously optimistic about this.

On the one hand. OH HOLY FUCKING SHIT! DISCOWORLD SHOW?! FUCK YES! HELL TO THE YES!

On the other hand.. the TV adaptation of "Going Postal" really really fucked it up. Like.. fucked it up VERY badly.

So..

I dunno..

This here is me.

Hogfather was pretty cool, but The Colour of Magic and Going Postal really dropped the ball. TCOM was understandable as it's not that great or coherent a story and there are serious special effects needed to do it all justice. When I watched Going Postal, however, I was constantly thinking, "That's just wrong, why didn't they do this?"

Oddly enough, the biggest issue I had on the aesthetic side (Vetinari not having black hair) was completely forgotten when I was watching, as Charles Dance was just that good. I stand by my question of why they didn't spend four quid on some hair dye, though, just for visual verisimilitude.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure if I like Death more as a protagonist or just when he shows up places. Just showing up, saying hi. Or consistently being upset that he cant just kill Rincewind.

There's a bit in Light Fantastic where he's actually kinda sad? that he might have to end up taking away all the science and magic of like, an entire populace, it's really good.

Firematic. on
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Pratchett himself has said he pictured Pete Postlethwaite but I have trouble seeing that

I've always pictured Pete Postlethwaite - I didn't know Pratchett did, too. That's fucking rad.

Was just going to say this, weird.

Also, Small Gods is the best.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bigass pratchett fan

not entire sure how to feel about the city watch being turned into tv

i really cant picture anyone as vimes other than pete postlethwaite and he dead so

Beasteh on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If there is anything awaiting me after I die, I hope whatever leads me there is exactly like Pratchett's Death

I'd take a cointoss between Pratchett's and Gaiman's

Antimatter on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Eh. This could go either way.

Get back to me when Vimes and Weatherwax are going to team up in one of the novels

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the hogfather and colour of magic TV adaptations were pretty boring

I have no idea how they managed to make those books boring

zen- on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Eh. This could go either way.

Get back to me when Vimes and Weatherwax are going to team up in one of the novels

They both turn up and have an arguement. And by arguement, I mean guitar showdown

Jintor on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've only ever seen Hogfather, and the Wyrd Sisters cartoon adaptations

I quite liked the latter, didn't have strong feelings about the former, and have no intention of seeing the CoM adaptation because the very book it's based off is one of Pratchett's weakest

Basically... TV adaptations of Discworld don't do very much for me beyond fill me with the desire to cringe a bit and look inedible

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't recommend them, no

zen- on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Has anyone made a Vimes / Carrot 'Deal with it' Gif yet?

edit: this was posted under the mistaken impression that the deal with it meme had something to do with CSI. I am shamed by my poor internet knowledge.

Deicist on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't think there's anybody dickish enough in the Watch to pull a Horatio

Looks like this troll

...just got rocked

I guess all these golems

...couldn't take the heat

Seems like this dwarf

...came up short.

Jintor on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Butler wrote: »
    My favourite moment in any Discworld book... well I actually can't remember which one it was from, but it was one of the witches books. Anyway, Granny Weatherwax had been built up to be the most powerful witch in the world, but there hadn't really been any evidence of that. Smartest witch? Absolutely, no contest. But most powerful?

Then some guy goes screaming past her in a horse and carriage and comes an inch from running her down, and Granny just goes >:[ and shoots a bolt of lighting out of her hand and blasts one of the wheels off the carriage.

So awesome.

Well in carpe jugulum she
    gets about as bad ass as it gets.
    I love the discworld stuff, so many great characters..
    The witches, the watch, the patrician, death, the wizards..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just finished The Amazing Maurice last night

Man that is a dark violent book

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My favourite thing about the discworld books is the way the world evolves throughout the stories. It starts off as a pretty standard comedy fantasy setting but then as things progress, and in the later books particularly, there's a whole little 'age of reason' thing going on while still remaining consistent with the previously established setting.

Deicist on
  • Options
    CowardlyCowardly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tallus wrote: »
    My favourite thing about the discworld books is the way the world evolves throughout the stories. It starts off as a pretty standard comedy fantasy setting but then as things progress, and in the later books particularly, there's a whole little 'age of reason' thing going on while still remaining consistent with the previously established setting.

The city is as much a character as anyone else, and it definately gets the most character progression.

The characters are what make the books great.

Cowardly on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a hard time picturing Vimes when I read the books

Pratchett himself has said he pictured Pete Postlethwaite but I have trouble seeing that
    Someone suggested Hugh Laurie and that kinda works but not quite

Also, Pratchett's coat of arms is badass

026-03.jpg

The motto means "Don't Fear the Reaper"

i thought this was susan's family's coat of arms

Langly on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Terry Pratchett is descended from Death CONFIRMED

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    oh my god the end of reaper man, with the festival and the old lady

get chills when i think about it

Langly on
  • Options
    E FlatE Flat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    One thing that struck me as odd about the Going Postal mini series thing was how empty the city was. I'd pictured something much more heaving with people at every turn, really.

E Flat on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Always loved the revival the watch, since Vimes has always struck a chord with me, since we are both recovering alcoholics.

Also, the vague magic/science that permeated Discworld was always great. The empircal unit of a 'thaum' etc. HEX is pure gold aswell. The old guard of UU just shoot of fireballs like it ain't no thang, but then the loveable Ponder Stibbons comes along and tries to figure out *WHY* they can.

And all the "science" shows that they shouldn't be able to, and the experimental tests prove it.

then the old wizards are all like, "so you are saying I *CAN'T* throw a fireball? HARUMPH" fireballs everywhere.

which is all sneakily brought under the vague laws of the Discworld universe via the fact that if you must bend the laws of reality, do it quickly, while the universe isn't watching.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    E Flat wrote: »
    One thing that struck me as odd about the Going Postal mini series thing was how empty the city was. I'd pictured something much more heaving with people at every turn, really.

Seriously. I watched it recently and every crowd scene had the same 20 people. Also, they were eerily quiet and passive.

Overall, I felt like they put a lot of effort into the sets and costuming and effects, but the direction fell completely flat.

tynic on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butler wrote: »
    My favourite moment in any Discworld book... well I actually can't remember which one it was from, but it was one of the witches books. Anyway, Granny Weatherwax had been built up to be the most powerful witch in the world, but there hadn't really been any evidence of that. Smartest witch? Absolutely, no contest. But most powerful?

Then some guy goes screaming past her in a horse and carriage and comes an inch from running her down, and Granny just goes >:[ and shoots a bolt of lighting out of her hand and blasts one of the wheels off the carriage.

So awesome.

she may or may not be the most powerful

it's implied that maybe she is

she is, however, the most intimidating

she essentially bends magic to her will by scaring it

I fucking love

Granny Weatherwax

She is actually just as rad in the Tiffany Aching books despite featuring in them less

I love Granny Weatherwax so much. All the witches in general.

Like in the book where Granny meets her
    evil twin and is like "You had to be the evil twin didn't you. And you're not even a good evil twin! I would've been so bad. SO BAD."

And then she traps her in a mirror dimension forever.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man who the hell is going to play Nobby Nobbs

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    my favorite part of Carpe Jugulum was at the end when the vampire tells her
    about how her grandma killed him, and that she was a fine woman. and granny is all "I knew she wasn't evil :3"

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mysst wrote: »
    man who the hell is going to play Nobby Nobbs

I thought the dude in hogfather was perfect.

Langly on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    angua better be a babe.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's been awhile since i saw it and I do not recall much of the movie. I'll check it again

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    VI my favorite part of that book is
    granny gets trapped in the mirror and there are thousands of grannys and she has to choose the real one and she's like duh I am the real one and the trap is just like :|

Langly on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    also the greatest name in the world is Rob Anybody

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    VI my favorite part of that book is
    granny gets trapped in the mirror and there are thousands of grannys and she has to choose the real one and she's like duh I am the real one and the trap is just like :|

Haha yeah that was funny.

One day I'll buy the complete set of Discworld books.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    best part of that book is the road trip part.

granny and nanny all being silly old ladies

everybody like 'shit, witches gotta be nice to them'

or Greebo.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

or Greebo.

Haha was that the same one where the bus driver came off the bus after the witches rode with him and his boss was all ready to shout at him, but their eyes met and it was like looking into the eyes of a man who's been to hell and back. Then the driver quit and walked away.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mysst wrote: »
    It's been awhile since i saw it and I do not recall much of the movie. I'll check it again

let me clarify that I thought his voice, the way he carried himself, and capturing the clever/dumb mixture of Nobs was spot on. He is imperfect in that he looked pretty tall (or I got the impression that he wasn't as short as he is described), and he is also not horrendously ugly. They needed to put some blemishes or something on his face.

Langly on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Greebo will gladly (try to) fuck a grizzly bear.

Ivar on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    If there is anything awaiting me after I die, I hope whatever leads me there is exactly like Pratchett's Death

I'd take a cointoss between Pratchett's and Gaiman's

This.

Also I am cautiously optimistic about this, I quite enjoyed The Hogfather adaptation but the rest definitely fell short.

Also did anyone else hear about Good Omens being picked up for its own TV adaptation?

Fingers crossed for both.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

or Greebo.

Haha was that the same one where the bus driver came off the bus after the witches rode with him and his boss was all ready to shout at him, but their eyes met and it was like looking into the eyes of a man who's been to hell and back. Then the driver quit and walked away.

a man who's hang-glided over the mouth of hell.

I think that was in Maskerade.

Which has the best Greebo part, Lord Gribeau.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Greebo once killed an elk

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I can never decide if I want more Lu-Tze or if the current amount is perfect

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Night Watch is a really good book

fffuuuck I love terry pratchett

Depressperado on