As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten Discussion] Elizabeth added to P4A; P4's cast is already dead.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I would be kind of upset if P4G comes out in 2013 in the US.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'd wager it'll come out around the same time P4A does. What I am surprised by is that they announced Arena first. I'm way more hyped for Arena.

Also, second AO battle cleared. Intense. I should have a fourth person now!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'd wager it'll come out around the same time P4A does. What I am surprised by is that they announced Arena first. I'm way more hyped for Arena.

You should have FIVE people now.
    Unless you didn't save Io

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Wouldn't have been intense if she were dead. :P Hinako didn't join.

And I wasn't counting Main. I have Al, Io, Daichi, and Jungo.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Wouldn't have been intense if she were dead. :P Hinako didn't join.

And I wasn't counting Main. I have Al, Io, Daichi, and Jungo.

That's a LOT like my play-through. Next you're gonna tell me you made a phys character...

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Nope, all Mag, then Vit.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Nope, all Mag, then Vit.

Tat's how I'm rolling on my current playthrough.... though I really miss whacking things.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Magic is better anyway. Just get your Vitality to 12, slap on Reflect Phys, and you're essentially immortal because your Magic Defense is so high.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Magic is better anyway. Just get your Vitality to 12, slap on Reflect Phys, and you're essentially immortal because your Magic Defense is so high.

So you say, but Jungo is living proof of the opposite being true. He can OHKO with one strike of Assassinate. Multi-Srike is also a much more efficient killer than even Holy Dance. The numbers just don't lie.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    MarsDragonMarsDragon Registered User regular
    Now it's Elizabeth? Huh. Well, I'm pretty sure everyone knows my position on P4A now. (it's the same as my position on everything else that thinks the Persona series starts at 3)

Have some P2EP screens.

• Options
    I love unrestricted EXP on NG+. Even if I don't carry over demons, I can still kick ass.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Why does Elizabeth have Thanatos? Thanatos looks cool, but he's a terrible persona. Really bad. Way too much work to make, and even then Alice is better than him so it's not worth it.

I have one tricked out to be a physical-oriented persona because that was the only way I could really salvage him. (Almost at the end of my FeMC run, btw. This game is really long.)

Edit- I know I answered my own question but I still feel burned over the whole fusion thing.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012

I was pretty surprised by that too. I expected to hear about P4G and then P4A shortly thereafter.

Drez on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Jurg wrote: »
    Why does Elizabeth have Thanatos? Thanatos looks cool, but he's a terrible persona. Really bad. Way too much work to make, and even then Alice is better than him so it's not worth it.

I have one tricked out to be a physical-oriented persona because that was the only way I could really salvage him. (Almost at the end of my FeMC run, btw. This game is really long.)

Edit- I know I answered my own question but I still feel burned over the whole fusion thing.
    Because he's awesome looking. That's all you really need.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a joystick with cool Persona art.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Jurg wrote: »

Funny, I maxed all his stats super easy using those stat boost items, and since his only weakness was Light and there was a short supply of those in the extra dungeon, he was my go-to persona. Megidolaon does a TON of damage if you use a different persona for Mind Charge first.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012

There's been a lot of customs made, namely of Chie, posted at NeoGAF.

I'm past the fourth story fight, coming up on
    Trumpeter.

Pretty sure I've broken this game by now, though I hear the final boss will still humble me, especially on AO path.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

There's been a lot of customs made, namely of Chie, posted at NeoGAF.

I'm past the fourth story fight, coming up on
    Trumpeter.

Pretty sure I've broken this game by now, though I hear the final boss will still humble me, especially on AO path.

Some of the bosses can be problematic on the first run though, mostly because of their mechanics. The last boss is only really wankish in the first and last phases, because of the way the mechanics of them. The phases in between are mainly filler.

The NG+ bosses are real bastards though, if you decide to go for them. (Hint: opt to import at least one demon, and make sure you have the money stockpiled and opted to import so you can summon the rest from the compendium later)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

So you say, but Jungo is living proof of the opposite being true. He can OHKO with one strike of Assassinate. Multi-Srike is also a much more efficient killer than even Holy Dance. The numbers just don't lie.

Physical characters are much, much more vulnerable, though.

Magic characters can kill basically anything, and are functionally invincible.

Physical characters can kill basically anything faster, but they can be killed if they get put into a bad position.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Physical characters are much, much more vulnerable, though.

Magic characters can kill basically anything, and are functionally invincible.

Physical characters can kill basically anything faster, but they can be killed if they get put into a bad position.

True to a certain degree. A high Vitality character can survive easier, and with Drain Hit they never have to worry about low HP.

Now a build that maxes vitality AND magic? That is unstoppable... even more so with Repel Phys, Anti-Most, Anti-Almighty, and Shield All+

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    All this talk of stat building has me really intrigued. I'm assuming you guys are talking about DS2, right?

I'm a total noob still, and I'm on day 1 still, but so far my point spending has been pretty haphazard. As a newcomer to the series, I don't have any idea what I want to do or how I want to build my character, so I've just been randomly dumping points here and there as I level with no real goal in mind. I'm not sure how beneficial certain stats are which makes it hard. I could really use a character building primer if anyone cares to put one together. Basically, I just want to make sure I have a successful run.

On a related topic, anyone have any suggestions for how many times per time period I should run the free battles? The very first one I ran maybe 3 times. I wasn't sure if that was too many, or too few. I really don't know how much grinding is required in this game since its my first SMT game.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    All this talk of stat building has me really intrigued. I'm assuming you guys are talking about DS2, right?

I'm a total noob still, and I'm on day 1 still, but so far my point spending has been pretty haphazard. As a newcomer to the series, I don't have any idea what I want to do or how I want to build my character, so I've just been randomly dumping points here and there as I level with no real goal in mind. I'm not sure how beneficial certain stats are which makes it hard. I could really use a character building primer if anyone cares to put one together. Basically, I just want to make sure I have a successful run.

On a related topic, anyone have any suggestions for how many times per time period I should run the free battles? The very first one I ran maybe 3 times. I wasn't sure if that was too many, or too few. I really don't know how much grinding is required in this game since its my first SMT game.

Your level cap should be based on a specific build. You can either go STR-AGI for a physical build, STR-VIT for a slow absorb-retaliate build, or MAG-AGI for a caster build. Physical build should be roughly equal points str and agi(or str/vit), magic should be roughly 2 mag, 1 agi. you'll want to only put the minimum amount of points in vit to get most of the passive skills you need(depends on the build), and then start putting some overflow into it when you cap out on your primaries(a stat caps at 40 points).

A magic-heavy MC may be preferred for a first-time player since they can get away with having damage resistance passives to make up for the low vit. Phys attackers need to be speedy glass canons to be effective(using their passive slots on damage increasing abilities).

Free battles you'll want to run until it's no longer practical to do so for that day. You'll know when you start to hit severe diminishing returns as you level over the range of the mobs in the zone. (You can remove the DR in New Game+)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I guess I'm just not sure what the diminishing returns look like. The XP always seems crappy to me, even with only running it two or three times.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I guess I'm just not sure what the diminishing returns look like. The XP always seems crappy to me, even with only running it two or three times.

You have to pay attention to the numbers indicating the character's remaining to level up on the post-battle screen. It only tells you a general figure, i.e. "You gained 1,246 XP". It fractions that down based on the level difference of the participants of the battle vs the level of whatever it is you just killed. So if you group underleveled demons with an overleveled character, the demons will get closer to the full value and the character will get the reduced amount.

So if the post-battle screen says 1,246 but your character's XP remaining only drops by like...100, then it's about time to move on.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    You could always go pure offense with focus on Str and Mag, though it requires a bit more of a restrictive skill set to work right.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Yeah, who wouldn't want two Ios on their team. :lol:

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You could always go pure offense with focus on Str and Mag, though it requires a bit more of a restrictive skill set to work right.

That's why nobody uses Io. :P

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    So I'm going to play through Nocturne, which should I go for - physical or magic caster?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    So I'm going to play through Nocturne, which should I go for - physical or magic caster?

I haven't played Nocturne(though Amazon did offer me a 21% off daily deal, I should have taken it), but in the majority of SMT games, MAG build tend to be the god builds. I doubt you can go wrong with a caster.

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

I am partway through the game and I'm very happy with my physical build, though apparently the final dungeon has a lot of enemies that can repel physical attacks. This isn't too problematic (as far as I know), as the MC has enough skill slots to host a primarily physical build with some magic attacks for the occasional physical resistant enemy. Also, you have three other guys on your team and they are very mutable so you really shouldn't worry too much about it.

I also believe that one of these enemies is a boss, but I don't know how much added difficult on a handful of bosses should factor into your decision of build on a lengthy game because physical does have an advantage over magical in many other respects.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Hey, I'm being serious! Give yourself a Phys attack like Mighty hit (Or go Holy Strike since no one else will need it), Mediarahan or Diarahan, Mana Aid, Anti-All, and either Wall or Shield All+, and you can make a decent unit.

Mind you you'll be slower than Jungo on a BAD day, but whatevs. It would be fun to try.

.... Oh, and Yamato and Makoto focus on offense too, not just Io.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options

At very least, if you go phys, keep at least one AOE Magic skill, like Tornado or Bolt Storm. I suggest Bolt Storm for late-game, Tornado for early.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

At very least, if you go phys, keep at least one AOE Magic skill, like Tornado or Bolt Storm. I suggest Bolt Storm for late-game, Tornado for early.

Yeah, nothing beats fighting Girimekahla and realize you're damn near useless... that was seriously a game breaker for me.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Hey, I'm being serious! Give yourself a Phys attack like Mighty hit (Or go Holy Strike since no one else will need it), Mediarahan or Diarahan, Mana Aid, Anti-All, and either Wall or Shield All+, and you can make a decent unit.

Mind you you'll be slower than Jungo on a BAD day, but whatevs. It would be fun to try.

.... Oh, and Yamato and Makoto focus on offense too, not just Io.

Nah, if you really want to do do an "I don't really care about this game anymore" build, you need to pour all STR, all AGI. Get Rage Soul, Ultimate Hit(auto-attack becomes almighty damage type), Attack All, and Double Strike. And then just use your first strike nuclear capability to mass mow down everything on the planet.

• Options
    Yikes. Day 7's boss is just... layer of layer of nonsense.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yikes. Day 7's boss is just... layer of layer of nonsense.

It's real easy once you get past the first phase, because it splits into parts, with only one part maintaining the "Pacify Humans" skill.

Edit: Bring Titania with Null/Repel Phys

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, all three Str/Mag characters are completely godawful, honestly. I was disappointed when I found out how bad Yamato is.

Also, a Mag build doesn't need to max Vit. High Magic means good magic defense, and then all it takes is a single skill to negate all physical damage. That is why Mag builds are so good. They can Max Mag and Agi and still be almost totally unkillable by anything, while still being able to do excellent damage.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    FFS this (friendly) NPC keeps killing a demon I'm trying to crack the skill of.

Drez on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Why they would even make str/mag characters is weird to me.

That being said Io sucking annoys me because I wanted her in my group.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Io's not bad. As a stopgap until you get Fumiko.

wVEsyIc.png