• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a cool bike and live in a place where it's possible to ride it pretty much year round.

But

The back tire area is cursed, and thus attracts every shard of broken glass on the road. Even the thicker tire I put on popped like a [nsfw joke about amorous prom dates losing their virginity with little difficulty].

So now it's enjoy a lengthy time out in my backyard until such time that I get tired of walking/bussing.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish more of an effort was made to make cycle lanes and stuff in Ireland but only Dublin really has them and not everywhere.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I once tried to ride my bike around Wellington, NZ. I nearly died, there are so many hills in that damn city.

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Started thinking about getting a bicycle again just this week.

Watching the video above didn't really make me angry. Well, when he threw the milkshake it made me want to floor it and run his ass over, but overall it just made me want to ride a bike. City biking seems so exhilarating.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tef wrote: »
    Wiet wrote: »
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Wiet wrote: »
    I bought a bike for 120 euroes and three years later it's still going strong. Starting to make noise though.

Awesome! Where's the noise coming from? Could just need new bearings in the cranks or hubs. As bike things go, that's not too expensive to fix.

Noise is coming from the gear case. I actually have some weird setup where my parts don't match up because the guy building it took top quality stuff from different manufacturers, which didn't really fit perfectly, so noise isn't all that worrying. And if it is, I'll get a new one! I live in the Netherlands after all, can't do without a bike here.

We actually have really great biking infrastructure in this country. It's not perfectly laid out like a highway or anything but I'm pretty sure you could travel the country on a bike and not have to go offroad.

i was impressed by how many bikes there were

also, how everybody can ride on the back and not bust their ass wide open

The best was watching people walk down the cycle track, thinking it was some kind of footpath and watching a dutchman coming tearing up behind them yelling, "wat doe je!?" Right behind them, making the tourist freak the fuck out. I believe it's somewhat of a national past time

Bloody foreigners.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    This is my current summer non-car
    teahuppoooo.JPG

I kinda want a bike like one of these tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGgD4XjPbPc

That's a BMX bike.

Get one like this:
    15.-bmx_haro-300x195.jpg
    and you'll never break it.

Or if you want to be super cool and hang out with hipsters, get one of these:
    56057.jpg
    You have to wear Havaianas and a pair of flouro Carrera sunnies while you ride it though...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My bike comes fitted with a combustion engine and should be here from the US in about a month, so excited!

What about the other two, do they know you're cheating on them with a new girl?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    there's plenty of lovin' to go around, numbers. Besides, the new girl is more the, take out on a public road, take it to meet your mother, type. The other two? Hoo boy, not so much!

It's a pity we all got pissed so early when everyone was down at my place, we should have gone for a ride. Next time!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    Cos wrote: »
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    I am looking into getting a very simple low maintenance bike, so a fixed gear looks like it will be the way to go.

However beyond that I know nothing, I want it to be comfortable as I will be using it for commuting but nothing fancy.

Bikers, help me shop

A fixed gear isn't the only way to go, especially if you live somewhere with lots of hills or places where you need to uh, stop quickly. Most fixed gear bikes have a flip flop hub and a freewheel so you can run regular singlespeed with brakes.

Lots of mailorder places have these kids of bikes for cheap. Bikesdirect has them starting at like $300.

Pretty much all the big name bike companies will have at least one model as well. Though you probably end up paying more for the name. Norco makes one called the Heart for $390 that looks pretty decent for the price.

I don't really find anything about most fixie/singlespeeds particularly comfortable though. I know there's more to worry about going wrong, but regular geared hybrid bikes are super comfortable and many are made with everyday commuting in mind. Not to mention they start pretty cheap. If something like this is what you're interested in, I can probably recommend a few.

BikeNashbar.com is great, too.

I'd recommend a geared hybrid as well; I used to race on a velodrome and even with all that time spent on fixed gears, I wouldn't want to ride one around town. If you're set on one, though, make sure you've got a back brake on it. I know in SC it's illegal to ride without brakes, not to mention it's stupid.

Oh, this is a cool little thing I found while writing my thesis tonight to calculate how much you'd save per day riding to work.

Those guys look wicked comfortable, the non singlespeed/fixed. Honestly my only concern is being able to repair it myself, I want it to last a while and I have no problem working on it, but I need the work I do to be cheap and not over difficult. I am handy, not a mechanic

If you're handy, I don't think you'll have too much of a problem working on your bike yourself. The main problem though is that anything beyond tightening hex bolts usually requires special tools.

Park Tools has a great list of every tool and how to use them.

I've been a bike mechanic for a couple of years now, and the way I learned was pretty much when it was time to fix something I'd buy the tool, read some guides and try it myself. The key to having a bike that lasts a long time is keeping it relatively clean, cleaning and lubing your chain regularly and tightening or replacing parts as they become loose/worn out. It's much cheaper and easier to replace headset bearings than the whole headset because you rode it loose for a while.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lately I've had the urge to get my girl and I a pair of 150cc scooters for running around town here and then, when they're good and broken in, go on a scooting road trip down the coast to my folk's place in North Carolina.

Odd, I know.

Either way, I'll be getting my motorcycle license this year, which is pretty cool. But, for now, I'll be content to just get some air into my bike's tires.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Doc that sounds awesome to me.

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It could be very awesome.

Likely get the girl on a 125cc and me on a 150cc...that way we're about keeping pace. Do a few hops on the way down the coast and likely spend two weeks kinda just scootin' around. I have the trip south pretty well mapped and it's just a matter of working out if I want to come back that way or pull a full loop.

The need to avoid major highways makes it interesting. Also, likely very scenic.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's certainly something you guys will remember. Would you stay in hotels/motels on the way or just camp out or something? I haven't made it to the east coast so I don't know what the go is with just camping out or the availability of camp sites

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A mix of camping and staying with friends and family along the way.

Thanks to my living in a few different places as well as these here forums, I'm confident I could find a place to crash almost everywhere along the route..

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You know what you should do? A worldwide scoot, visiting PAers all across the globe

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If money were no object....

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is my current summer non-car
    teahuppoooo.JPG

I kinda want a bike like one of these tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGgD4XjPbPc

That's a BMX bike.

Get one like this:
    15.-bmx_haro-300x195.jpg
    and you'll never break it.

Or if you want to be super cool and hang out with hipsters, get one of these:
    56057.jpg
    You have to wear Havaianas and a pair of flouro Carrera sunnies while you ride it though...

hipsters ride fixies

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Those boards are far too convenient for stopping!
    my ankles hurt! I realized the decision I had made before it was too late :(

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love riding my bike to work. Even after long days I feel great once I pedal home. My current bike is great (raleigh rush hour 08) EXCEPT that recently I crashed due to traffic and I popped tires and bent spokes and who knows what else I did to it.

I am very tempted to purchase a new bike, one that is a bit more suited for commuting and maybe some mid distance touring. I am thinking once it is summer, I will really wish I had another gear, a cage for a water bottle, or any type of rack. Wearing a backpack with a bunch of crap in it is starting to get painful.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Some day I am going to move to the Netherlands and bike commute everywhere like a boss.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any favorite products for spring riding/commuting?

The ones I could never do without are

Earbags

5012429t_v1_m56577569831010784.jpg

They're small, comfortable and fit easily underneath helmet straps. They look kind of stupid, but so worth it if you hate trying to squish a hat under your helmet.

Buff

tjgear_2174_032904_9707.jpg

At first I hated these things. I thought they were the snuggie of the biking world. But after actually trying one I love it. I usually just wear it like a scarf that I can easily pull up over my face like a mask, and it breathes well so I don't hyperventilate. In a pinch you can pull it up over your head like a hood, and it still fits under your helmet.

Knog Party Frank

knog%20party%20frank.jpg

This isn't just for spring, but I think Knog makes some very cool stuff. This lock wouldn't last 5 minutes in the city, but it's just perfect for when I need to pop into the store for a minute. It easily rolls up and fits in my pocket. The best part though is that it's completely coated in silicone, so you can keep one coiled around your frame at all times and it won't chip the shit out of your paint or dent your bike.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't really get that buff thing. Do you ever wear it as a helmet liner? Does it really wick away sweat while you ride? sell it to me!

vermiculture on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't really get that buff thing. Do you ever wear it as a helmet liner? Does it really wick away sweat while you ride? sell it to me!

Well, this sounds kind of stupid but basically it's a tube of very stretchy and breathable fabric with no seams or stitching of any kind. There are various versions, but the original is pretty lightweight. I like it because I can just stuff it in my jersey pocket, and pull it on over my head when it gets cold or windy. It does wick sweat pretty well, so you could wear it under your helmet like a bandana on hot days if you were so inclined.

Edit: This is the one I have.

Buff%20Animal%20Invict.jpg

I like to pretend I am a pirate with it sometimes.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got a Trek 2.1 I like to use for longer rides in flatter places, but I need to get a cheaper, heavier bike for downtown commute.

Lots of hills, lots of places where homeless people throw bottles and leave glass shards.

Fixed gear is out because pfffft.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    hipsters used to ride fixies

Not anymore, they're too 'mainstream'...

Now it's all about spending thousands on a restored 80's BMX bike. They get to say words like 'new old stock' and sound like they have any idea what the fuck they're talking about.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    there's plenty of lovin' to go around, numbers. Besides, the new girl is more the, take out on a public road, take it to meet your mother, type. The other two? Hoo boy, not so much!

It's a pity we all got pissed so early when everyone was down at my place, we should have gone for a ride. Next time!

This new girl, where's she from? What's her number?

And the whole 'me going for a ride' idea? I haven't been on a dirt bike in over a decade. You'd either have to go super slow for the first hour or so, or have some money put aside for replacement parts...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I fully support this new trend. At least BMX bikes have brakes and can coast. Plus seeing a grown man riding one is hilarious. I hope they move onto unicycles next!

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to join the unicycle football league.

vermiculture on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

And the whole 'me going for a ride' idea? I haven't been on a dirt bike in over a decade. You'd either have to go super slow for the first hour or so, or have some money put aside for replacement parts...

it's a 1250cc 08 harley davidson dyna low rider. Bought it second hand from the US and getting shipped over. The same bike here is about triple the price.

I'm no Mike Metzger either, we can putter round the farm it'll be great

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i haven't rode a bike in years
    and i'm scared to ride in nyc because drivers are scary and we don't have beautiful bike lanes like they do in so many of the cities i visited in europe (we have bike lanes, but most are not physically separated from traffic and that scares me)

and i bought a longboard last year to try and learn to do that (never skated in my life before) but i hurt my knee snowboarding at right around the same time so i haven't really learned that yet either, and concrete is scary to me, but i'm going to try as the weather warms up

i have one of these

IMG_0262-1.jpg

hmm how do i learn without dying

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    CosCos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    and i'm scared to ride in nyc because drivers are scary and we don't have beautiful bike lanes like they do in so many of the cities i visited in europe (we have bike lanes, but most are not physically separated from traffic and that scares me)

And the ones that are separated from traffic stir all the rich, entitled types into an uproar because they think the lanes are an eyesore. And that bike lanes kill old people or something like that.

NYC could be a perfect biking city, too.

Cos on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fucking prospect park west
    they are rich as balls
    and they also argue that it like, infringes on their rights as car users

nyc could be a great biking city but i would not bet on changes being made to make it so

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bike lanes here are such a fucking joke. I think there's on in the city that goes for about 100 meters. Then stops dead and goes nowhere. Yeah way to look like you're trying, guys.

Most of the arguments go like this.

"Bikes don't belong on the roads!"
    "Bikes don't belong on the sidewalks!"

Ok, so build them their own lanes and everyone will be happy

"HUUUURRR NO!"

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    SoulburnerSoulburner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got me one of these I ride everywhere because I suck and can't drive:

// IMAGE REMOVED DUE TO MALWARE //

It is pretty nice. Goes damn fast when I've actually got a bike lane to use.

Soulburner on
  • Options
    CosCos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bike lanes here are such a fucking joke. I think there's on in the city that goes for about 100 meters. Then stops dead and goes nowhere. Yeah way to look like you're trying, guys.

Most of the arguments go like this.

"Bikes don't belong on the roads!"
    "Bikes don't belong on the sidewalks!"

Ok, so build them their own lanes and everyone will be happy

"HUUUURRR NO!"

This is my job. I love it, but it can be so very frustrating with all the idiots out there.

Cos on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would say New Mexico is bike friendly, but it's not. It's just that people here (myself included) fucking love riding bikes, and I can't figure out why.

People drive like shit everywhere in this state, and it is likely that one will die from being hit by a car. The sidewalks here are shit and are either overcrowded, broken, or just randomly end at the worst fucking places. On top of all that, to even consider riding a bike here you need to completely thorn proof your tires. Primarily because of THESE fuckers:
    trte003lhp.jpg

I rode my bike some 20 miles yesterday biking home from work, and now my tires are flat because of goatheads (and that's AFTER thorn proofing and slime).

Oh yeah, and there's a ton of bike thefts in Albuquerque because of the bike culture here. My first bike was stolen last year on campus. So fuck NM bike riding actually.

Newtron on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have one of these:

7100_silverblack.jpg

I love the hell out of it!

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    edited March 2011

and i bought a longboard last year to try and learn to do that (never skated in my life before) but i hurt my knee snowboarding at right around the same time so i haven't really learned that yet either, and concrete is scary to me, but i'm going to try as the weather warms up

i have one of these

IMG_0262-1.jpg

hmm how do i learn without dying

You appear to have a tail so learning to stop should be no thang.

but just in case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LloIFi4Qb8

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    I never owned a bike before until about a month ago. My wife bought one because she wanted to be more active or some such bullshit but she refuses to ride when there's daylight out because she doesn't want people watching her. I don't know, don't ask me. Anyway, I bought a cheap one to ride with her because I figure it would be fun to ride and it is. I'm just so shitty at riding bikes that I can't go forward without wobbling so I can't stay on sidewalks and I just ride in the middle of the street.

I'm calling it here
    Your wife is a masked crimefighter
    The Bike Kunoichi

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011

it's a 1250cc 08 harley davidson dyna low rider. Bought it second hand from the US and getting shipped over. The same bike here is about triple the price.

I'm no Mike Metzger either, we can putter round the farm it'll be great

Oh man oh man oh man nice bike! I want a Night Rod -
    Harley-Davidson%2BNight%2BRod%2BSpecial%2B1.jpg
    Just gotta win that Lotto.

Donovan Puppyfucker on