As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] Now with even GIANTEST robots

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are...no words.

Should have sent a poet.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That looks...Classy. The final model might end up a little tall, but I doubt it. That art just makes it look way big.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not very good at Photoshop, so I want you all to pretend I'm posting that image but with a bunch of scared anime school girls 'shopped in.

admanb on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Reminds me of the alien from the end of Borderlands. Looks pretty fantastic, if a little barren.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's a fleshy version of a Storm Strider!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Reminds me of the alien from the end of Borderlands..

So, what, it in play will be completely disappointing? :winky: (I kid. It's Everblight, it'll be completely and utterly broken bullshit.)

This is where someone would make a joke about EB players wanting to get their hands all over a pillar of flesh.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ha. Dick jokes.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dick jokes are some of the best jokes.

SJ on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would disagree and call you immature, but I sat down and thought schlong and hard about it.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Some interesting speculation on the PP forums suggests that the 'Throne of Everblight' and the epic-looking Vayl clone on top could mean that any Everblight caster could ride on top of the model and gain some kind of abilities.

Which, really, would be totally awesome and in keeping with Everblight's theme of never ever getting stuff like other factions.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Except that is totally retarded and makes no sense. It's probably just a battle engine.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Reminds me of the alien from the end of Borderlands..

So, what, it in play will be completely disappointing? :winky: (I kid. It's Everblight, it'll be completely and utterly broken bullshit.

No, I meant that it'll be a lot of fun with four people. As in, it will probably take three people fighting against the Legion player fielding that thing to be fun.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So, my really cool mage hunter Kaelyssa list has been serving me well. I've had some pretty good games but one of my regular opponents has been fielding a pretty gnarly Circle list that uses the glut of mobility and stones to just mess things up for me. My Rahn list can do the job, but it still struggles (Mages range is just to low, he just whips around my magic line and denies my punch).

My local meta has seen an upsurge of melee and very short ranged lists. Cryx bane lists, Menoth zealot/flameguard, Cygnar lightning theme, etc. So I've devised something to crush, kill, and destroy my local meta until people start countering it. Especially this circle player, I am so fed up with him being just outside my threat ranges.

So:
    Ravyn
    +Hydra
    +Chimera
    Rifleman (10 dudes)
    +Officer
    Mage Hunter's (6 dudes)
    +Commander
    Arcanist
    Ghost Sniper
    Ghost Sniper

31/35

This leaves 4 points for a Heavy Rifle Team (I don't know what they clock in at?) or two. It just leaves this wealth of fire power that can be delivered from a prodigious range (for Warmachine). Snipe to sling around, snipers to crush solo's...Then there's Ravyn's feat turn.

I imagine a turn were I need something dead, feat Ravyn, walk up riflemen, and min-feat them...4 dice all around....It will be glorious.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You can fit in two Heavy Rifle teams in there. Surprised your Circle opponent doesn't use Stealth units from the sounds of it. Ravyn wouldn't do a lick of a difference, otherwise.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ...Menoth zealot/flameguard
    You'd prefer Errants? o.O

TheConstantWay on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ...Menoth zealot/flameguard
    You'd prefer Errants? o.O

Not at all, it's just what is being commonly fielded. There are a few Errants mixed in, but not as many.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shit yeah, I finally got a game of Warmachine in for the first time in what seems like forever. It ended being a draw - we have a house rule that if a pCaine vs. pButcher game comes down to casters only, we will call it a draw and save everyone's time, which is exactly what happened today.

It was still a very fun game though! The highlight for me was when I used Corbeau to seduce Fenris, move him through a covering fire template and take a swing at the Butcher.

My opponent was, shall we say...displeased.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So, I heard some interesting news from Adepticon from some of the locals who went.

Apparently some of the Cryx 'casters are going to be on the receiving end of the nerfbat sometime soon. (Possibly printed in Wrath.) Can't remember exactly which ones at the moment they said, though.

TO THE GROUND!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You should get more details on this. It would be interesting to see what they mean.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    As much as I complain I actually think Warmachine is fairly well balanced and changing existing stuff is more risk than benefit.

Except for eGaspy.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    (and eDenny to a lesser extent)

admanb on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. Fuck eGaspy with a rusty chainsaw. His damn cloud spell should not be spammable like that. Unlike Ashen Veil, that shit KILLS you.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'd say most of the imbalance comes from army lists rather than specific miniatures or rules.

Being able to spam one kind of model (ie. infantry, heavies, stealth) and then go against another lists with a more balanced force, with a caster that doesn't have any strengths against that kind of model, leads to the majority of imbalance that I see.

Most other mini games have some safeguard against that, 40k inflicts hard minimums and maximums on units, Inifinity has the Orders system, etc. I'm not sure how you could really fix this in warmachine.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    AKA, Terminus and 30 mcthralls?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

I have a buddy who really sucks at WM but still cannot manage to lose with this list

SJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's a goddamn retarded list. It's foolproof.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'd say most of the imbalance comes from army lists rather than specific miniatures or rules.

Being able to spam one kind of model (ie. infantry, heavies, stealth) and then go against another lists with a more balanced force, with a caster that doesn't have any strengths against that kind of model, leads to the majority of imbalance that I see.

Most other mini games have some safeguard against that, 40k inflicts hard minimums and maximums on units, Inifinity has the Orders system, etc. I'm not sure how you could really fix this in warmachine.

Yup. The fact that Warmachine can very easily become a game of hard-counters can be very frustrating at times. The only thing I can think off to balance it really is either re-work things that need exact counters (like Stealth, unless you definitely have a tool [or 2] to deal with stealth it can seriously hamper you), or increase the proliferation of those hard counters.

Take 40k for example. If I don't have a hard counter for say...Psykers, I will be hurt by it, but it won't break my army in two. Mostly because the mechanic is self moderating.

In Warmachine, if I don't have a hard counter for stealth...it can literally eat a piece of my army before I can solve the problem. Then we have problems were the counters are to hard, like a Rahn list v. Reznik (or just about any caster with witch hunter). It makes games no fun.

I too think that Warmachine is pretty balanced, but there are indeed some gaping holes in some mechanics, and some forces abilities to counter them. It should never be a game of A beats B every time (baring ridiculous luck). I remember when I played trolls in Mk I, if I didn't field X, and was facing units A-T...Things went poorly. Some times I still see it in Mk II, I shouldn't have to auto-include something because it's the only way to solve a problem in my entire army.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I usually roll in with at least 2 lists pre-prepared, just in case the one I planned on playing that evening would give me an automagical loss for some reason.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

AKA Vlad/Karchev and 6 Berserkers, AKA Harby and 50 model lists, AKA eHaley and "Everything has RNG 14", AKA eThagrosh and 4 beasts AKA Cryxian/Circle stealth lists.

Terminus is a faggot, though.
    SJ wrote: »
    I usually roll in with at least 2 lists pre-prepared, just in case the one I planned on playing that evening would give me an automagical loss for some reason.

I laughed, even though I know I shouldn't have.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I do too, I just get a little miffed when I go down to play a specific list (because I want to learn it, I like the models, I like the idea, whatever), and have to play the other list for whatever reason.

If you're joking about "automagical" then ignore this, I just know I do face those realities and...welp.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I do too, I just get a little miffed when I go down to play a specific list (because I want to learn it, I like the models, I like the idea, whatever), and have to play the other list for whatever reason.

If you're joking about "automagical" then ignore this, I just know I do face those realities and...welp.

Nah I was completely serious. I do like that word though.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. Fuck eGaspy with a rusty chainsaw. His damn cloud spell should not be spammable like that. Unlike Ashen Veil, that shit KILLS you.

I'm fairly sure that eGaspy and eDenny are two of the big ones they're looking at (especially since the latter basically warps scenario play). Can't remember specifics on changes, though.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gonna be so mad if they errata them.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gonna be lol'in if they errata them.

SJ on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gonna be so mad if they errata them.

They already errata'd eAspy once for his feat, one can only hope it won't happen elsewhere.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Isn't that why the standard tournament format is two lists?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My new job has kept me out of the game for almost 6 months. I'm looking to head back to the FLGS to start playing again soon. This is the list that I'm thinking about.

Faction: Magnus - Most Wanted
    Casters: 1/1
    Tiers: 4
    Magnus the Traitor (*6pts)
    * Renegade (5pts)
    * Renegade (5pts)
    * Mangler (8pts)
    Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
    Steelhead Halberdiers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
    Steelhead Halberdiers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
    Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)

Any thoughts/advice?

EDIT: Also, I'm looking to get a secondary caster started for when I have the balls to try a tournament. I somehow got really lucky and got my hands on a Gorten box. We did a secret Santa at the store and I got my hands on a Basher as well. What else would I want to pick up to have a decent Gorten list?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'd trade BoomHowler and the min Steelheads for Idrians+UA. If you don't have Idrians, I'd drop the min Steelheads for Brocker.

Brocker on the feat turn would be pretty nasty.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For... Idrians? The terrible, terrible menoth unit?

SJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Assault & Battery, AD, Pathfinder, Prey, CMA, CRA, DEF 17 in forests, DEF 19 on minifeat turn. And Magnus has Snipe.

How are Idrians bad?

Carnarvon on