As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] Now with even GIANTEST robots

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SJ wrote: »
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Seriously. That's all the Heavy Rifle is. It's a POW 7 Hunter. It's in the new NQ.

Oh, and it's 2 points. Not bad, I guess. Helps Ret focus their firepower in better ways.

(EDIT: BAAH I meant Hunter. Not charger.)

Yeah, I know. I knew that a week ago. I think it works well with Ravyn, who I'd like to do as my first caster, so I'd like to have one.

And, it's the coolest fucking weapon crew.

The sniper crew is super awesome, I'd gladly take the max FA of them with two Ghost Snipers and pEiryss. Ret finally has some dedicated anti-armor that isn't Sentinels.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PMAvers wrote: »
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Except, in general, Circle really is at a terrible disadvantage against Legion most of the time. Circle's good at making rules up. Legion's good at ignoring them.

At least Baldur's feat provides cover and an army of durable beasts. Don't ever bother relying on Stealth to fight off Legion lest the player actually focuses on troops. Never build a list that relies on forest generation and the hilarity that comes from it (Unless you're Morv.)

If only there was a caster for Circle that could... oh, I dunno...summon some sort of pillars even Legion couldn't shoot through. Maybe made out of a condiment?

Except ANY Legion beast with a ranged attack can so much as sneeze at it and blow it to shreds. Fire element = fuck your POW 14 restriction. I can blow it up.

Now, if Ret only had some sort of reliable knockdown mechanism. Knock a big target down, get Ravyn in melee with it with Vortex of Destruction up.

Bam, boosted Heavy Rifle shots.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    MortenebraMortenebra Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Trouble w/ the sniper team is they are still only rolling 2 dice at POW 7. That's not much anti-armor really...you just get the one shot for 2 pts and it's still dice -3 against actually tough targets. =/ It will help for sure but it's not taking down any jacks, even if you max their FA.

Mortenebra on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Of course not, but against an ARM 20 jack, that's 3.5 average damage; add in a Ghost Sniper and there's another 3 automatically. Totaling them gives you, on average, an entire delicious tree knocked out (due to the Sniper's ability to choose what tree he damages). Add in another set and you're crippling systems every turn, from a range that Cryxian jacks have a difficult time traversing. And hell, even if they do charge the sniper/crew, they've just spent a turn getting into my back line for a two point unit.

Really, I'd be less impressed with them if Ret jacks didn't have a terrible history of leaving just enough boxes on an enemy to be destroyed the following round. I mean, look at the Pheonix; nearly twice the point cost of a Crusader and they couldn't even give it PS18. That's just silly.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mortenebra wrote: »
    Trouble w/ the sniper team is they are still only rolling 2 dice at POW 7. That's not much anti-armor really...you just get the one shot for 2 pts and it's still dice -3 against actually tough targets. =/ It will help for sure but it's not taking down any jacks, even if you max their FA.

What's their RAT? If it's anything decent, they could act as quite effective Medium-Base killers, killing or crippling Light Jacks and taking out important solos and the like.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    RAT 6, perfectly fine for hitting most heavy infantry and jacks; though most lights will give them trouble.

edit: That is, not counting the +2 from Range Finder. RAT 8 will be able to hit everything up to Chickens with average dice.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sniper Team is RAT 5 with a +2 bonus to hit from Range Finder.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    SpaceThorSpaceThor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's also important to remember that Ret also has access to Lady Aiyana and that other guy who hangs around her. With Kiss of Lyliss, each Heavy Rifle Team will, on average dice rolls, knock a column off a khador jack from 14" away. That isn't anything to sneeze at, especially since most Ret lists take Aiyana anyway.

SpaceThor on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    More importantly, I'm curious about that speculation about the other Ret character heavy 'jack. The name "Hypnos" was floating around, and it sounds like it was mentioned at Adepticon.

Assuming it's Ossy's character 'jack, to follow in the theme of the new 'casters getting one. If the new Vyre chassis happens, maybe it'll be a character Vyre heavy?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ShadowFighter88ShadowFighter88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Had my first 25pt game of Warmachine over VASSAL a few days ago and, while I managed to win, I felt like it was more from my opponent's mistakes than any tactical acumen on my part.

I was using:
    Captain Kara Sloan
    -Defender
    -Hunter
    Black 13th
    Stormblades w/ UA
    eEiryss
    Reinholdt

He was using a pNemo list, can't remember it exactly but I'm pretty sure it was:
    pNemo
    -Stormclad
    -Hammersmith
    -Squire
    Journeyman Warcaster
    2x Stormsmith Stormcallers
    Black 13th
    Arlan Strangewayes

I can't remember the battle exactly, but he went first and ended up leaving his Stormcallers exposed on either side of his army. Eiryss and the Hunter moved down opposite flanks from each other and eliminated his 'callers before they could do anything.

A forest stopped any return fire against the Hunter and I kept my Stormblades back ready to receive any charging melee or, hopefully, to charge anything that got close enough. Never really got that far though because on turn three or four, Eiryss moved out to shoot at his Stormclad which (because I wasn't thinking about her movement) then charged her. Her high defence stopped it from hitting her, but I shouldn't have put her in that position in the first place.

A turn or two before that, his Journeyman decided to fire an Arcane Bolt off to give Nemo another power token. He forgot about eEiryss's Whiplash rule and fired it at her. Then rolled very well on the damage roll when it bounced right back at Junior, leaving him with a new hole in his stomach. Well, when I say 'hole' it was really more of a gaping void of nothingness reaching from his nipples to his 'nads.

Anyway, on the same turn Eiryss was charged by the Stormclad, Nemo moved up and cast Chain Lightning at the Black 13th (which were nearby and moving in for the assassination). Now if that spell had hit, all three members of the Black 13th would've been fried but luckily, Lt. Ryan is very agile. He conceded after that since he didn't have anything to stop the Black 13th from moving up and ventilating Nemo.

He admitted to making several mistakes and forgetting to cast some spells which, combined with Junior's poor choice of spell target, made me feel like this wasn't really a win for me.

EDIT: And on another matter entirely; that Warmachine song Tycho wrote for PP, did they ever say why it was never released over iTunes? Not all of us who play Warmachine have Rock Band 1 or 2 (don't like that kind of game, myself) and they could've gotten a lot more money for Child's Play that way.

ShadowFighter88 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It also didn't come out on Wii, which was bullshit.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Storm Strider pictures from Adepticon

god damnit, TAKE MY MONEY. I'm sitting here, staring at it, and going omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg.

I mean, I love the AFG and everything, but I originally got into WM because I loved Nemo and the lightning motif. And it's striking all the right chords with me...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    AergonautAergonaut Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Won my first 25 pt game against a friend of mine. I was Retribution, he was Cygnar.

Me:
    Kaelyssa
    - Chimera
    - Griffon
    - Manticore
    Dawnguard Invictors (Leader & 5 grunts)
    - UA
    Arcanist
    Mage Hunter Assassin
    pEiryss

Him:
    Nemo
    - Defender
    - Hunter
    - Ironclad
    - Lancer
    Journeyman Warcaster

I won the dice roll, so I deployed first, putting my 'jacks in the middle and my Invictors on my right. He deployed his heavies in the middle too, the Lancer to his left and the Journeyman to his right. In advance deployment, I put Eiryss on my left near a forest, and the MHA all the way to the right edge. He put the Hunter on his right.

Don't remember too many specifics of the battle. I spent the first turn getting the Invictors into position and running the MHA all the way down the board to his side. In the following turns, I had Eiryss use Death Bolt to shave off the armor-piercing gun from his Hunter and used my Invictors to CRA his Lancer, but not before Nemo managed to arc a spell through it and wipe out three of them.

My MHA kept running around the edge, slowly forcing Nemo to move forward in order to stay out of her charge range. My Manticore engaged the Ironclad and got knocked down. But then Kaelyssa arc'd Arcantrik Bolt through the Chimera and made the Ironclad stationary to return the favor. With Force Generator's +3 STR and Combo Strike, the Manticore then was able to shave off a good chunk of the Ironclad's grid. It fell the next turn.

Things started to look a little more grim as his Defender moved into range of Kaelyssa and began taking shots at her. Luckily, she was hiding in a forest, so the +2 DEF saved her. I feated to protect myself and Eiryss from his 'jacks as they were starting to get close enough to charge. The MHA continued to push Nemo forward until he was finally in charge range of both my Griffon and Chimera. At that point, I just charged him with my two 'jacks and took him out.

Genocidal elves win! Victory for the Retribution!

Aergonaut on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I playtested Warmachine in beta; it didn't do it for me, so I didn't continue playing, but a buddy has recently convinced me to give WM/Hordes another try.

Both the mercenary Privateers and Circle of Orboros have models I find appealing, so I may start working on one of those. In particular, I'm inclined to try out Lady Aiyana and Master Holt, in part 'cause the latter and I share a name.

Where can I find the most recent rules for Privateers?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Forces of Warmachine: Mercenaries has the skinny on all the pirates and the stuff they can use.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I playtested Warmachine in beta; it didn't do it for me, so I didn't continue playing, but a buddy has recently convinced me to give WM/Hordes another try.

Both the mercenary Privateers and Circle of Orboros have models I find appealing, so I may start working on one of those. In particular, I'm inclined to try out Lady Aiyana and Master Holt, in part 'cause the latter and I share a name.

Where can I find the most recent rules for Privateers?

Just FYI, mercenaries in general are not complete factions the way other factions are. Privateers are somewhat of an exception to this though, because so many of their models are specifically made to work well together.

SJ on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So tomorrow I'm going to play my first game of hordes mrk2 and my first non battlebox game ever and this is what I'll be using.
    Lylyth, Herald of Everblight  +6 points
    * Angelius  9 points
    * Carnivean  11 points
    * 4x Shredder  2 points each

6 Blighted Archers  5 points
    6 Blighted Swordsmen  5 points
    Strider Deathstalker  2 points
    Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew  1 point

I wanted a Shepard instead of the bellows but the store didn't have any in stock. So tomorrow I'll be playing the store owners Skorne list in a 35 point game. He uses the fat guy caster (who's name eludes me) so what tricks should I look for?

Norgoth on
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Given your ranged focus, you might have a problem with the assassination. Have a look at this and this.

Look out for lots of spellcasting. He's high fury and he can arc his spells through warrior models, those spells are really nasty too. Boosted damage on Breath of corruption will threaten your Shredders, and will absolutely murder your infantry. Look out for influence spam too.

kaorti on
  • Options
    ShadowFighter88ShadowFighter88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What're people's thoughts on Alexia Ciannor?

She strikes me as a handy unit, if only as a fire magnet. As long as Alexia survives and can replenish her Risen (and with a command of nine it wouldn't be too hard to get her close enough to the fighting to collect "materials") the enemy's got to decide between shooting apart her Risen to stop her creating Thrall Warriors or using them to heal herself or boost attack/damage or buy extra attacks, or ignore the Risen to fire on the rest of your army, which'll just give her more Corpse Tokens and, in turn, more Risen. I doubt any smart player would let the enemy draw LoS to Alexia herself, using the Risen as undead shields.

And I don't think I need mention the hell she could cause with Dominate Undead against a Cryx army.

And if she's like this now, I can't help but wonder what her rumoured Epic version in Wrath is going to be like.

ShadowFighter88 on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've never used Alexia, but I'm hoping to change that soon. I haven't had a game of Warmachine in aaages, which makes me a sad panda. When I've got a few games with her under my belt, I will be sure to share my thoughts with the thread.

I am currently painting the Iron Kingdoms Alexia model as well as the souls which I'm using as Risen grunts; so I might post some pictures of them in the meantime, once I figure out how to get photos from my new camera to the computer.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    I mean, look at the Pheonix; nearly twice the point cost of a Crusader and they couldn't even give it PS18. That's just silly.
    I guess you can't have it when you can do literally fucking everything a heavy jack could want.
    Combustion for crowd control, SPD 6 and reach for threat range, a magical ranged attack, self healing force field; What more could you possibly need? An arc node? Oh it has that. You do need an Arcanist to bring down Khador heavies, but outside of that, enough 17's are plenty to bring down a heavy.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I mean, look at the Pheonix; nearly twice the point cost of a Crusader and they couldn't even give it PS18. That's just silly.
    I guess you can't have it when you can do literally fucking everything a heavy jack could want.
    Combustion for crowd control, SPD 6 and reach for threat range, a magical ranged attack, self healing force field; What more could you possibly need? You do need an Arcanist to bring down Khador heavies, but outside of that, enough 17's are plenty to bring down a heavy.

It has a goddamn arc node I mean what the fuck.

admanb on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Compare with the Guardian, for cripes sake. Both have reach, PS17 and an open fist, and an arc node.

The Phoenix has 2 higher SPD, combustion, a great ranged attack, continuous fire on its sword, and a regenerating forcefield. The Guardian has... Crit Pitch. Slightly lower ARM on the Phoenix is made up for by higher DEF.

For 1 point more, you get SO MUCH.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Combustion for crowd control, SPD 6 and reach for threat range, a magical ranged attack, self healing force field; What more could you possibly need? An arc node? Oh it has that.

Combustion didn't impress me on the Castigator. Or the Kodiak. I'm either dead from being charged by weapon masters, or I'm better served by trampling. The Halo Cannon is AoE 3, not the most fearsome weapon to grace Imorren. Nice for sniping solos or UAs. The Arc Node is great. Reach is great. SPD 6 is great. Self healing needs a lot of luck to actually matter, but still nice.

Now if only it could kill something.

As is, the Manticore is better at shooting and killing, and the Chimera is a much better arc node. The Pheonix is great if you need both of those things and an additional 4 points.
    You do need an Arcanist to bring down Khador heavies, but outside of that, enough 17's are plenty to bring down a heavy.

I actually choked on my soda when I read this.
    Compare with the Guardian, for cripes sake. Both have reach, PS17 and an open fist, and an arc node.

The Phoenix has 2 higher SPD, combustion, a great ranged attack, continuous fire on its sword, and a regenerating forcefield. The Guardian has... Crit Pitch. Slightly lower ARM on the Phoenix is made up for by higher DEF.

For 1 point more, you get SO MUCH.

I don't think anyone has ever said that the Guardian is worth 9 points. It's also in a faction with the Choir, Vassal, and Covenant.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Enough arguing! There are new piggies!

75035_MinionFarrowSlaughterhousersWEB.jpg
    Bloodthirsty, tough as nails, and strong enough to hack the arms off a gorax, slaughterhousers serve as vicious shock troops in farrow warbands. Heedless of danger, slaughterhouser units charge recklessly into battle, cutting a wide swath through the enemy with their massive pole cleavers and shaking off wounds that would kill or incapacitate lesser farrow.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tough with reach!

SJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Bloodthirsty, tough as nails, and strong enough to hack the arms off a gorax, slaughterhousers serve as vicious shock troops in farrow warbands. Heedless of danger, slaughterhouser units charge recklessly into battle, cutting a wide swath through the enemy with their massive pole cleavers and shaking off wounds that would kill or incapacitate lesser farrow.

From that, I take that they have Blood Thirst, Tough on a 4, 5, or 6, AD, Fearless, Relentless Charge, Berserk, and Reach. I estimate this unit to cost at least fifteen points for a minimum unit.

As an aside, PP really needs to stop making me want to play Farrow.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

From that, I take that they have Blood Thirst, Tough on a 4, 5, or 6, AD, Fearless, Relentless Charge, Berserk, and Reach. I estimate this unit to cost at least fifteen points for a minimum unit.

And if we're lucky, won't work for Skorne.

EDIT: Although size of weapon doesn't necessarily mean Reach.

Case in point: The War Hog.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

But...but they are perfect Gamorreans for my Jabba's Palace themed Rasheth army that I will one day make!

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Well, does the War Hog have massive pole cleavers? I'm not even sure how you would manage to hit anything within two feet of you with those things.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    AzraAzra Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nice, new pigs.

EDIT: NVM, Carn (and pretty much the rest of the forum) beat me to it. :P

Seems server's been really busy. >->

Azra on
    - The difference between Gods and Daemons depends largely on where one is standing at the moment -
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Well, does the War Hog have massive pole cleavers? I'm not even sure how you would manage to hit anything within two feet of you with those things.

Well, yes. Basically.

I mean, nothing can really get within 2" of the front of mine.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

This was perfect PP forum speak until you got to the price. The forums would call them 5/8, maybe 6/9, but only if they're at least DEF13 and MAT7.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alexia is amazing.

Seriously good tarpit unit, can create Thrall Warrior missiles with ease, and is absolutely excellent provided you have the living models to fuel her in your list(you don't want to depend on the other person's list)

Any model that can create more models is great. Any model that can hurt the enemy caster's spellcasting ability is great. Any solo that has multiple boost options is amazing. Alexia's got all three.

The one catch is her Risen are absolutely utterly useless in combat against practically everything, but you are getting 10 models for 5 points. The other catch is that Alexia can't use her special abilities AND issue a Charge order, which limits their combat prowess even more. Still, throwing out Thrall Warrior missiles is totally awesome.

No reason not to take her, if you like her!

EDIT: Oh, hey, I missed a page. Pigs suck, Phoenix rules. I think that covers it.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Thralls she creates are solos, correct?

SJ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    the Thralls are solo, yeah. Hence the heinous missile range on them. The Risen aren't, and totally suck.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    New pigs are shiny! My local Carver player will be excited about them.

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alexia isn't bad. It's easier than it seems on paper to keep her alive, she is beyond the reach of easy blast damage, and like you say, blocking LoS to her isn't hard. She does however tend to spend the game really not doing a whole lot. Good for getting in the way and beign a roadbump, mostly, which is a great use if your tactics require that role, which mine often do.

Keep your eyes peeled though, there is an Epic Alexia coming down the pipe and she is MOUNTED on a skeletal horse. Which is God Tier necromancy for the IK, even Cryx doesn't have access to that kind of raw necropower.

Mortenebra on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Arc nodes on heavy jacks is pretty meh. In every case it'd be superior to be able to pay 2 less points (which is about the cost the node adds, there is in fact a formula at work here) and get the node elsewhere if you want one. The Phoenix has the usual "jack of all trades" problem in that it pays a premium to be mediocre at everything. It's not bad but it's struggling to justify its cost, for sure. There is an empirically superior solution for everything it does in the faction, it cannot fill those roles at the same time, and is basically a pile of contradictions. Some people call that "flexibility" but the way it's implemented, it's a flaw not a perk.

But it looks rad, so I use it, even though the node is useless once it hits combat and it hits like a girl. It is also paying an Arcanist Tax to its POW.

Mortenebra on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well you see, Mort, I think tha-

Wait, are you agreeing with me? Someone is agreeing with me?

I seriously have no idea what to do here.

Carnarvon on